PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Woodhead: Faulk 2.0??? (merged old and new)

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Danny Woodhead: Faulk 2.0??? (merged old and new)

The bottom line:
-Woodhead will not be a captain tomorrow.
-The timing is very likely intended to be part of a mind game.
-Being cut by team X means relatively little to Team Y (if Team X cut him it means he is no good? No)
-Every team has specific needs......the Jets felt their needs were better suited by someone other than Woodhead (at least for week 2)
-The jets felt the guy had potential or he would not have been on the week 1 roster.
-The odds are against Woodhead making the roster for the season but they are not extremely unlikely either. He has multiple qualities BB likes in a player.
-The Patriots will win or lose tomorrow based on nothing (or a scintilla beyond nothing) to do with Woodhead. Stopping the Jet's running attack and keeping Brady protected will be the deciding factors for the Patriot's fortunes.

Look at tomorrow's box score - if the Jets have multiple sacks and knockdowns along with a 120+ yards rushing, the Patriots are very likely 1-1 in the standings.

This is a fantastic post.

Yeah, I've been driving myself nuts trying to think of that guy's name. Someone earlier in the thread said it was Aiken, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

I think Woodhead could go either way. The gamesmanship presumably doesn't hurt, but I've been on the lookout for a Faulk Jr. for a while, Woodhead could be a good fit.

Jonathan something??? Smith???

That explains why Rex got rid of him.

His order of pizzas, chicken wings and bread sticks arrived late and were cold.

LOL :rofl:

A workout warrior!

from wiki

Pre-draft
Woodhead did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine so he had to use his pro day to show his abilities. According to a report on NFLDraftWatch.net, he ran the 40-yard dash in a time of 4.33 to 4.38 seconds which would have been the second-fastest among all running backs at the NFL Combine in March 2008. He posted the best pro-agility time of 4.03 seconds, the second-best vertical jump (38½ inches) and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2 seconds).

Workout warriors don't tend to hold every D2 record for RBs the way that Woodhead does.

He averaged 18 games with 200 or more yards rushing in his collegiate career.
He averaged 190.97 yards rushing per game.
He averaged 15.57 points scored per game..

Now, the only down side is that he had 17 fumbles on his 1107 touches... Reminiscent of Kevin Faulk.

So, the potential is there for him to be a 3rd down player like Faulk..

Shameless homer

Woodhead will be released by mid-season

You called me a shameless homer when I said that Revis got what he wanted with a two year contract for over $16 million ayear and would hold out after the second year to get more. Funny, apparently Revis is a Pats homer and he said the same thing too to Peter King.

Woodhead could end up being nothing for the Pats or he could end up being a guy who could take some playing time from Faulk to keep him fresh. Who knows at this point. The Pats have picked up players during the season who have been cut from other teams who have turned out to be solid role players and even starters for this team (Joe Andruzzi, Jabbar Gaffney, Earthwind Mooreland, Hank Poteat, Heath Evans, etc.). To write him off just because he didn't work out for the Jets could be a mistake.

The voice of reason speaks up. Everyone is overreacting to this. The guy has done nothing in the NFL and was just cut by a team that got 7 first downs in their opener. He was signed for information/ mind games, nothing more, nothing less. The over under for days on the team is set at 3.5.

That isn't the "Voice of Reason." It's one person's opinion.

Rex Ryan and the Jets are definitely not the brightest bulbs when it comes to roster management. Not to mention that they have more EGOS than a Narcissist Convention on that team and it's clear that Rexy is doing whatever he can to placate them.

They tabbed McKnight as their "Goto" guy for the 3rd down back, unceremoniously jettisoning Pats Killer, Leon Washington. So, for them, Woodhead was extraneous. Woodhead doesn't have a ton of size, so, as people mentioned, he's not great except in the slot where the Jets already have people they like.

Woodhead has not really shown a propensity for returning kicks or punts and he wasn't used that way in college. Also, we already have Brandon Tate for that and he comes as advertised.

Belichick has regularly brought in players 1 year ahead of when they were "needed." In some cases, they were forced into starting situations before they were ready, but many times, the year of learning helped.

As a potential 3rd down back, Woodhead has what it takes. And he's got, arguably, the best 3rd down back in the game to learn from in Faulk.

Woodhead may not see the field for the Pats, but don't think that it means he's not valuable. Too many people ignorantly think that. Yet, time and again the Pats have acknowledged people who helped them prepare for an opponent, but didn't actually play. Damon Huard received the game ball in 2003 for his work as "Peyton Manning" during the team's practice prior to them destroying the Colts in the Conference Championship. Marquise Hill was given credit numerous times for his ability to help the team get ready for games. The team gives out the "black jersey" to players who excel during the week in helping the team prep.

Woodhead has the potential and he's not got a great RB Coach, a fantastic head coach and 2 great players to mentor him. The tools are in place for him to succeed. Only time will tell if he does or not. It's stupid of people to downplay optimism. It shows a lack of foresight and really shows a lack of understanding of the game.

Re: Rapp: patriots sign former jet Danny woodhead to 53rd spot

LOL

I knew Pats fans would be spinning this

Do you really think the Jets would let go a "good player"

As usual, the insecurity and paranoia of the Patriot regime shine through, they even had to hide it, and wait until Saturday to do it.

Sad

Spinning what? The fact that the Jets management has proven pretty inept as being able to put together a balanced roster?

Yes, I think the Jets would let go of a good player. They did so when they traded Leon Washington and decided that Joe "Puke" McKnight was going to be their 3rd down back.

They did so when they traded Kerry Rhodes and thought that Brodney Pool would be an acceptable replacement.

They did so when they let Thomas Jones and Alan Faneca go.

I think you get the picture.

As for the "Patriots Regime," I think you have it backwards. There is no insecurity or paranoia. And they hid nothing. The reported the signing of Woodhead when it was official.

BTW, if signing Woodhead is a sign of Paranoia and insecurity, what does that say about the Jet's Regime for having signed O'Connell last year and making him a CAPTAIN for a single game??

What is sad is a Jets fan coming over to a Patriots site and fabricating a bunch of garbage in an attempt to get some attention.

This kid really is an athletic freak. Woodhead was the state of Nebraska's leading basketball scorer at 5'9" in high school with 26 ppg average. The same year he was the state of Nebraska's football player of the year. He then went on to leave NCAA college football as the leading rusher in college football history.

Shameless homer

Woodhead will be released by mid-season

And what will happen if you are mistaken?

BTW, could you please show everyone how Woodhead is a "bad" player? I ask because your coach and the Eagles coach were very high on him in pre-season. And he did out-perform McKnight..

Woodhead is the all-team Division II leader. Nate Kmic had more yards in Division III. Woodhead played for Chadron State in Nebraska. See below for Chadron State's schedule:

DATE OPPONENT TIME (ET) Location Result
Sat, Aug 28th, 2010 Mary 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta W (35 - 3)
Sat, Sep 4th, 2010 at Pittsburg_State 01:00 PM Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith L (14 - 3)
Sat, Sep 18th, 2010 Western_State 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Sep 25th, 2010 at Adams_State 02:00 PM Rex Stadium
Sat, Oct 2nd, 2010 at CSU-Pueblo 04:00 PM The ThunderBowl
Sat, Oct 9th, 2010 Nebraska-Kearney 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Oct 16th, 2010 at New_Mex_Highland 03:00 PM Messina Field at Perkins Stadi
Sat, Oct 23rd, 2010 West_New_Mex 03:30 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 at Fort_Lewis 03:00 PM Ray Dennison Memorial Field
Sat, Nov 6th, 2010 Colorado_Mines 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Nov 13th, 2010 at Mesa_State

This kid really is an athletic freak. Woodhead was the state of Nebraska's leading basketball scorer at 5'9" in high school with 26 ppg average. The same year he was the state of Nebraska's football player of the year. He then went on to leave NCAA college football as the leading rusher in college football history.

LOL, too funny

So why did the Pats wait until after week 1 to release Murrell?

Can you biased homers be any more pathetic.

Woodhead is a nice scrappy player who plays his ass off, but doesn't have NFL level skill, he's tough, actually a great PS type of player because he can do a number of things on the scout team, he can catch, but stop trying to spin this into more than what it is, paranoid Bill needs all the intel he can get, he can't use his cameras anymore, so this is the next best thing.

Because they needed Murrell as a reserve OLB for the 1st game since they weren't sure how Cunningham would perform. They also weren't sure about Ninkovich either. Unlike you Jets' fans who seem to think that they Jets are always "set at every position" most Pats fans realize that isn't the case.

Now, why is it that you have to call people "biased homers?" What are you? You are a biased Jets' homer. And, your offerings so far fall into the pathetic range. Especially the stupidity about the cameras. Seriously. The Patriots were fined because of the location of the cameras. And, considering that the Jets were doing the exact same thing in the same game that the Pats were doing it in, you are hardly one to make the stupid analogy.

Bill Belichick isn't paranoid. But he is someone who doesn't forget purposeful slights against him. Such as the one done by Brad Childress with the claiming of Garrett Mills and the one by Ryan last year when the Jets signed O'Connell and then proceeded to make him a Captain for a single game. Belichick doesn't run his mouth in the media and make stupid predictions. He goes about his business of getting this team ready for football games.

OH, on other thing. The Patriots don't have a single RB under contract after this season. Bringing in Woodhead with the thought of developing him for next year as a potential 3rd down back is just good roster management. Something that Rex Ryan doesn't understand.

And what will happen if you are mistaken?

BTW, could you please show everyone how Woodhead is a "bad" player? I ask because your coach and the Eagles coach were very high on him in pre-season. And he did out-perform McKnight..

What Jets fans can't admit, at least the Jets homers, is that the only reason why McKnight is still on the team is because he was a fourth round draft choice and they traded away Leon Washington because they drafting him.

Man, Woodhead looks like a pizza delivery guy:

11788.jpg

One inch taller and two pounds lighter than Faulk.

'09 (limited): 4.3 YPCarry,10.9 yards per catch.

Danny Woodhead Profile - New York Jets - ESPN

Just an FYI, that 5'09 inches is Fictitious. Woodhead was measured at his Pro Day at 5'07 and 5/8 inches. Now, I guess Woodhead could have grown an inch, but I don't think it's likely.

Hate to put a damper on the celebrations, but the days of "Rudy" and "Charlie Tolar's of the old AFL" are gone. As much as this guy is probably a hard worker, he will get mnurdered in the NFL of today.

We'll probably get what info we can get for this week and then wish him luck, and say thanks. He can now tell his grandkids that you played in the NFL.

Also, I am amazed that BB would pull this kind of a stunt and feed the Jets locker room material.

The Jets played poorly, they do not want to lose two straight, at home, to open the season, and have many incentives going into this game that they need to fulfill. This little, meaningless, move will add more fuel to their fire.

I hope it does not backfire in BB's face. There was very little to gain from this move, if anything at all, and more, much more, to lose.

Does anyone here really think he is gonna stick?

MJD says HI..

Also, how, pray tell, would this "backfire" in BB's face?? What sort of "locker room material" would this give the Jets?

As for their being very little to gain, how do you know? How do you know that BB hasn't had Woodhead on his radar since 2008 and hasn't had the opportunity to grab him before now? How do you know that Woodhead isn't in the long term plans for the Patriots.

I ask these questions with honesty because, from where I stand, I don't see a negative to this signing.

Kevin Faulk says "Hi"

Years ago BB signed Sam Aiken who was cut by the Bills just before the Bills game. Aiken played here for several years thereafter, so who knows?

Aiken was not signed before the Bills game. Aiken was an off-season acquisition signed on March 3, 2008. He was signed to replace Kelley Washington.

Aiken spent only 2 years here.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Player that Belichick signed who was cut by the Bills was Jonathan Smith. Smith was claimed off waivers, but cut before the Pats played the Bills in the opening game that season. Smith was then re-signed by the Pats a week later, only to be cut at the beginning of October. The Pats then signed him to a 2007 Futures Contract, but Smith was cut prior to the start of the 2007 training camp.

What Jets fans can't admit, at least the Jets homers, is that the only reason why McKnight is still on the team is because he was a fourth round draft choice and they traded away Leon Washington because they drafting him.

I am thrilled they traded Leon Washington. Of all the players in the division, he is the offensive player I most feared. Now, I guess it's ummmmm ..... maybe Ron Brown ......... nobody scares me now.

Maybe it'll be Marshall or perhaps Spillar. We'll see as the season goes on.

He's about the size of Dexter McCluster. I think we may have wanted him despite his "slow" 40.

Yeah, I agree, we're preparing for life after Faulk. Maybe this guy, maybe somebody else.

Woodhead is the all-team Division II leader. Nate Kmic had more yards in Division III. Woodhead played for Chadron State in Nebraska. See below for Chadron State's schedule:

DATE OPPONENT TIME (ET) Location Result
Sat, Aug 28th, 2010 Mary 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta W (35 - 3)
Sat, Sep 4th, 2010 at Pittsburg_State 01:00 PM Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith L (14 - 3)
Sat, Sep 18th, 2010 Western_State 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Sep 25th, 2010 at Adams_State 02:00 PM Rex Stadium
Sat, Oct 2nd, 2010 at CSU-Pueblo 04:00 PM The ThunderBowl
Sat, Oct 9th, 2010 Nebraska-Kearney 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Oct 16th, 2010 at New_Mex_Highland 03:00 PM Messina Field at Perkins Stadi
Sat, Oct 23rd, 2010 West_New_Mex 03:30 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 at Fort_Lewis 03:00 PM Ray Dennison Memorial Field
Sat, Nov 6th, 2010 Colorado_Mines 02:00 PM Elliott Field at Don Beebe Sta
Sat, Nov 13th, 2010 at Mesa_State

Correct. However so is my post. When Woodhead graduated he was the all time NCAA football rushing leader. Kmic later broke Woodhead's record.

Also went back and looked at my 2008 Mel Kiper draft guide. FWIW, Kiper believed he might have an NFL future as a third down back ( Faulk ).

You called me a shameless homer when I said that Revis got what he wanted with a two year contract for over $16 million ayear and would hold out after the second year to get more. Funny, apparently Revis is a Pats homer and he said the same thing too to Peter King.

Woodhead could end up being nothing for the Pats or he could end up being a guy who could take some playing time from Faulk to keep him fresh. Who knows at this point. The Pats have picked up players during the season who have been cut from other teams who have turned out to be solid role players and even starters for this team (Joe Andruzzi, Jabbar Gaffney, Earthwind Mooreland, Hank Poteat, Heath Evans, etc.). To write him off just because he didn't work out for the Jets could be a mistake.

Especially when a guy has such a specific, unorthodox skillset as Woodhead does. Utilizing him productively requires coaches who are willing to innovate and adapt, and it's not like Brian Schottenheimer springs to mind when you think of those qualities.

Last edited:

I am thrilled they traded Leon Washington. Of all the players in the division, he is the offensive player I most feared. Now, I guess it's ummmmm ..... maybe Ron Brown ......... nobody scares me now.

Maybe it'll be Marshall or perhaps Spillar. We'll see as the season goes on.

Brandon Marshall, CJ Spiller, Santonio Holmes. I'm not pumped about facing any of those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe