PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Pompei: Either OchoCinco or Haynesworth will be cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total bull, sounds like something Mangini would do. If they don't get with the program and add to the team, both will be cut, otherwise both will stay.

BB doesn't play that drama stuff, that's why he's trusted by players.

Last edited:
The "NFL Executive" source that jumps to my mind is:

Charlie Casserly

He is "familiar with the Patriots", but then so am I. Why doesn't one of these hacks ask me for some sensationalist opinion? I could make up some good stuff.:singing:

Last edited:
Unless he has reverted back to 2010 Haynesworth, there is no way BB will cut him. The proverbial, "upside" is too great. When he's in shape and focused on football, he is the best DT in the league and has the potential to be a major influence in fixing the two areas that the Pats struggled mightily with last year- short yardage D and the pass rush. If he plays anywhere close to 2008 AH here, this is now a stout, top 5 defense.

However, I think the dynamic with Ocho is a bit different but for a reason that doesn't necessarily have to do with performance. At WR, you have...

Branch
Welker
Tate
Price
Edelman
Slater
Ocho
and others....

Unless I am completely off base, I don't see Branch, WW, Price cut. Tate is a question mark but the kid has upside and should be better this year. Edelman can play, he just needs reps. Slater is a ST demon. My point is the last 4 of the 6 WRs - including WW can play STs. I don't think Ocho plays STs and if there is a reason he does get cut, that will be that one, IMO.

Last edited:
It's more likely that the Pats fed this to Pompei as a red herring to motivate players than it is that some mythical exec who isn't part of the organization has a clue what is going on inside the Pats FO.

But whatever, the point isn't to be right for guys like Pompei, it's to generate interest.

BB is going to get rid of players when they havent gotten into trouble since the trade to send a message. OK :rolleyes:

Its not Haynesworth, the reason I think BB went the FA route on the DL is because of the shortened off season and the amount of time to acclimate to the NFL and the Pats scheme.

Conversely, the Jets have 2 rookies DL that need to get up to speed pronto.

Why would it be Ocho? Hes never been in trouble. Hes a clown, but so what? He doesnt slouch and keeps repeating that NE is heaven.

Those two players have nothing to do with each other (defense/offense). So, he's saying BB will cut a player with value for motivation. LMFAO! Not even Jimmy Johnson cut a player who had value, and he cut players for motivational reasons all the time.

Trading draft picks to get a marquee name so he can cut him weeks later? Someone is confusing BB with Childress.

Haynesworth doesnt like lobster and threw his bowl of clam chowder on the floor.

Unless he has reverted back to 2010 Haynesworth, there is no way BB will cut him. The proverbial, "upside" is too great. When he's in shape and focused on football, he is the best DT in the league and has the potential to be a major influence in fixing the two areas that the Pats struggled mightily with last year- short yardage D and the pass rush.

My thoughts exactly. As long as his attitude is positive, I think they give him time to eases his way in, because he is one of those players who is such a force he transcends any particular scheme.

Think Lawrence Taylor. You know they changed to fit his abilities as much as they changed him to fit the scheme.

During Bill Belichick's era as a coach, he has not cut a single veteran player during the same year as they re-did a contract. Not McGinest. Not Law. Not Milloy. Not any of the numerous vets who re-did their contracts..

So, imho, the likelihood of Haynesworth or Chad being cut is ZERO. Why? It's bad business. No vet is going to want to re-do their contract if it means they are going to get cut anyways.

It is interesting to note that Deion Branch's contract hasn't been re-done this year.

that article:

th_th4941894PinTailDonkey.gif

The "NFL Executive" source that jumps to my mind is:

Charlie Casserly

Casserly is not an NFL Executive currently. He's a TV Analyst and FORMER executive. I don't like Pompei, but I don't see him lying by omission when it comes to Casserly's status. If anyone made the comments, it's that tub of Goo, Rexelda Ryan.

Unless he has reverted back to 2010 Haynesworth, there is no way BB will cut him. The proverbial, "upside" is too great. When he's in shape and focused on football, he is the best DT in the league and has the potential to be a major influence in fixing the two areas that the Pats struggled mightily with last year- short yardage D and the pass rush. If he plays anywhere close to 2008 AH here, this is now a stout, top 5 defense.

However, I think the dynamic with Ocho is a bit different but for a reason tat doesn't necessarily have to do with performance. At WR, you have...

Branch
Welker
Tate
Price
Edelman
Slater
Ocho
and others....

Unless if am completely off base, I don't see Branch, WW, Price cut. Tate is a question mark but the kid has upside and should be better this year. Edelman can play, he just needs reps. Slater is a ST demon. My point is the last 4 of the 6 WRs - including WW can play STs. I don't think Ocho plays STs and if there is a reason he does get cut, that will be that one, IMO.

Pretty much agree here. Haynesworth potentially adds unique qualities to the team; huge upside. Does Ochocinco in 2011 provide more upside than some of the other WRs in camp? Maybe, maybe not.

Casserly is not an NFL Executive currently. He's a TV Analyst and FORMER executive. I don't like Pompei, but I don't see him lying by omission when it comes to Casserly's status. If anyone made the comments, it's that tub of Goo, Rexelda Ryan.

I'd think that one NFL executive familiar with the Pats would be Dimitroff.

I'd think that one NFL executive familiar with the Pats would be Dimitroff.

Yep. And the likelihood of him saying something like this to Pompei is NIL....

During Bill Belichick's era as a coach, he has not cut a single veteran player during the same year as they re-did a contract. Not McGinest. Not Law. Not Milloy. Not any of the numerous vets who re-did their contracts..

So, imho, the likelihood of Haynesworth or Chad being cut is ZERO. Why? It's bad business. No vet is going to want to re-do their contract if it means they are going to get cut anyways.

It is interesting to note that Deion Branch's contract hasn't been re-done this year.

That's an interesting point. Wonder if push ever came to shove, though, with a disruptive player.

He's managed to deal with and still use, then marginalize, disruptive players in the past, Terry Glenn, for example.

File this with the Moss is on the bubble story that came out before the final cut in 2007. Total rubbish.

Game, set and match. Mr. Pompeei would do well to read your post.

Last edited:
meh, sounds like the 2007 Randy Moss rehash...and I didn't click the link

Without question, the biggest example of hack journalsm i've seen lately.

How would releasing a guy like Haynesworth affect anything. Who would be surprised? The guy isn't integrated into the team yet so how will it shake up anything.

By choosing him and Ocho for this story, he is of course playing the percentages, mostly counting on AH to be gone since he hasnt participated much.

If AH does get cut, he can say, wow am i a great reporter or what?

I would hope when this prognostication falls flat, he gets email bombed and told what an aggregious hack he is.

That's an interesting point. Wonder if push ever came to shove, though, with a disruptive player.

He's managed to deal with and still use, then marginalize, disruptive players in the past, Terry Glenn, for example.

I think that BB would suspend the guy before cutting him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News