PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hernandez to WR even more so than last year, Gronk and Shank as TEs

Re: The big one: Branch Released

Back in July I said Branch was going to be the surprise cut. So it is all my fault. Granted it was because I thought Gaffney and Stallworth (for his special teams) would have roster spots.

Ocho is coming back.

Re: Branch, Hoyer, Koppen Released

I know a lot of people will be surprised about Hoyer, but I'm not. He's looked awful to me the past couple years and he has zero upside. Plus I've always thought it was a complete waste of space to have 3 QBs on a roster. If you're down to your 3rd QB you're screwed anyway.

Last edited:
Jets will sign branch for sure...

Could they be releasing him now, so that they don't have to guarantee his salary, with a plan to bring him back after week 1 or 2 (can't remember the exact rule), like Laveranues Coles with the Jets two years ago?

The flip side of this question is: who did the Patriots value more than Branch & Hoyer. The answer to that will be a special teams back-up. Most projections filled the team with ST players - Slater, Trevor Scott, Bolden, Demps, Koutovides, Tarpinian, Ihedigbo or Brown. This means more of them.

Regarding the Hoyer release, it'll be interesting to see the QBs projected 4th round-UDFA next April, because Mallett needs competition.

Could they be releasing him now, so that they don't have to guarantee his salary, with a plan to bring him back after week 1 or 2 (can't remember the exact rule), like Laveranues Coles with the Jets two years ago?
I sure hope so. It's the only string of hope I'm hanging onto.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop or gaffney to be resigned. But if none of those things happen, which is completely plausible given last year's safety situation then we are boned if lloyd misses any significant time later in the year.

Nothing but jags behind our top 2.

So no team would give up a late round pick for Hoyer? That's seems like a stretch.

Exactly. This pisses me off.

That's a 4th rounder in a trade BB just flushed down the toilet.

Reminiscent of cutting James Sanders last year for nothing in return.

I know a lot of people will be surprised about Hoyer, but I'm not. He's looked awful to me the past couple years and he has zero upside. Plus I've always thought it was a complete waste of space to have 3 QBs on a roster. If you're down to your 3rd QB you're screwed anyway.
Besides the Pats will definitely add a PS QB if only to save arms. Besides if Brady went down you'd have a plethora of Vet QB's to choose from to back up Mallett, everyone from Donovan McNab to Josh McCowan. All of them and more would flock here for the opportunity.

Exactly. This pisses me off.

That's a 4th rounder in a trade BB just flushed down the toilet.
Go ahead and show us the evidence he was offered a 4th round pick. Thanks.

Other than a few comments for fun (and some SMH posts about the QB spot), I'm holding off judgment on all this for a while. This roster may not take final shape for days and, even then, that may just be a one week roster. With all the money being freed up, we might even see something interesting happen in the near future.

Hey Mods: why the creation of these super threads today w/all info together? Branch, etc. are worthy of separate threads. Think of all the junk we usually have to wade through!

(Just posted this in news too...)

BB is on a youth movement kick.
ALL the 3 vet WRs cut. Every one. And Edelperson still here whom most of Patsfans had gone.
Got incredibly younger at RB over the last 2 years. Bye to Faulk, the old JAGs and BJGE.

O Line much younger over the same time period as Light and Koppen depart.

Vets on D Line purged (Warren & the FA) with all the youths still there.

BB hates old people. Or maybe his son is filling in making the roster moves this summer?

Greg Bedard did Tweet this:

The Patriots are trolling trades and waivers at a few spots

Twitter / GregABedard: The Patriots are trolling trades ...

One name that has been rumored to being dangled as trade bait is James Jones in Green Bay. The guy would be an absolute stud if he had better hands, but he is still a very solid back up who can run all the routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back