PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The big one: Branch Released

Could they be releasing him now, so that they don't have to guarantee his salary, with a plan to bring him back after week 1 or 2 (can't remember the exact rule), like Laveranues Coles with the Jets two years ago?

If you think he's going to play the other 15 games for you, no.
If he is one of your top five receivers, no.

You have to assume he won't be available in 10 days if you are willing to make the cut. If he's one of the 150 best receivers in the NFL, he won't be available.

Could it work that way in a couple weeks? It could. But you can't plan on that.

The flip side of this question is: who did the Patriots value more than Branch & Hoyer. The answer to that will be a special teams back-up. Most projections filled the team with ST players - Slater, Trevor Scott, Bolden, Demps, Koutovides, Tarpinian, Ihedigbo or Brown. This means more of them.

Regarding Branch - Another TE? or Youth at WR vs Branchs age?

Mallet was a relatively high pick.

Exactly. This pisses me off.

That's a 4th rounder in a trade BB just flushed down the toilet.

Reminiscent of cutting James Sanders last year for nothing in return.

You honestly think he was a 4th round pick? LOL

I think he was more solid of a backup than Mallet, at the moment, but he's no 4th round pick. Take off the homer goggles.

How does Schefter get this info before Mike Reiss?????:bricks:

Bad day for Tom Brady...
Koppen = his pal and handoff battery mate since forever.
Deion = his pal and "throw and catch while blindfolded" type connection
Hoyer = his pal and fellow QB.

to be continued...?:confused:

You're delusional.
And I liked Hoyer.
Thought we had a shot at a conditional 6th but more likely a 7th.
We're both wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I think what makes it a little hard to trade Hoyer was the amount of his salary combined with the fact that he's in his last year, so if you traded him, the other team would still have to contend with losing him at the end of this season.

Hey Mods: why the creation of these super threads today w/all info together? Branch, etc. are worthy of separate threads. Think of all the junk we usually have to wade through!

(Just posted this in news too...)

A mod should go back and edit post #1 with all the confirmed releases.

Dan Koppen
Deion Branch
Brian Hoyer

and I'm sure a lot more soon.

Larry Fitzgerald........come on down!:rocker:

How does Schefter get this info before Mike Reiss?????:bricks:

Schefter has a lot of contacts in the Pats' organization. He breaks a lot of news about the Pats before anyone locally. I am pretty sure he was the first with the Hernandez contract.

Go ahead and show us the evidence he was offered a 4th round pick. Thanks.

Exactly what I was going to write. What 4th rounder? They gave Hoyer a chance to shop himself around the league his offseason and even a team like AZ passed.

You honestly think he was a 4th round pick? LOL

I think he was more solid of a backup than Mallet, at the moment, but he's no 4th round pick. Take off the homer goggles.

not to mention his $1.9 million salary. I believe he would have been a UFA after the year too. Yeah, not much of a trade market there.

Re: The big one: Branch Released

If you think he's going to play the other 15 games for you, no.
If he is one of your top five receivers, no.

You have to assume he won't be available in 10 days if you are willing to make the cut. If he's one of the 150 best receivers in the NFL, he won't be available.

Could it work that way in a couple weeks? It could. But you can't plan on that.
Not only is he top150, he's top80.

The Game 2 roster is always my beginning of the season roster. There is oftenlots of action before then.

The time to add vets is after Game 1 so that we don't have to guarantee the full year's salary.

A trade seems very possible.

Other than a few comments for fun (and some SMH posts about the QB spot), I'm holding off judgment on all this for a while. This roster may not take final shape for days and, even then, that may just be a one week roster. With all the money being freed up, we might even see something interesting happen in the near future.

You're joking right, Shmess. You just forgot to at the little sarcasm button, right?

Can you imagine being a fan of team that gave up a 4th round pick on a UDFA QB who has about three quarters of moderate success that occurred 3 years ago. I don't think you'd be real happy. I know I wouldn't. The Pats were never going to get a draft pick for Hoyer, and neither would they for Sanders.

Every time I clicked on the last page a new page in this thread appeared. And people say the Patriots are boring.

In regards to a 4th for Hoyer there's no way they didn't put out feelers. They've traded guys like Hochstein for a 6th or 7th, LeKevin Smith ditto and many others. They didn't cut Chad Jackson until a day after cutting down to the 53 trying to make it look like they valued him.

If the Pats could have gotten a 4th rounder for Hoyer, they would have. You don't think Belichick tried to shop any player he planned to cut with any trade value?

OK, thinking about WR:

Slater showed nothing as a WR in camp or preseason. But he's sort of listed as one.

Did Ebert show the hands, route-running, and ST capabilities to beat out Branch and the other vets? Branch had over 50 receptions last year, and is healthy.

Depth is:
Welker
Lloyd
Edelman
Ebert
(Slater)

Every team knows the Pats have to get down to 53.

Ive never understood the Hoyer hype.

I just can't wait to talk with Deus about only the WR corps...but be able to include Hernandez in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back