PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't wait to talk with Deus about only the WR corps...but be able to include Hernandez in the discussion.

That discussion is not going to happen unless the Patriots change his designation, so you can lose the passive-aggressive nonsense.

Other than a few comments for fun (and some SMH posts about the QB spot), I'm holding off judgment on all this for a while. This roster may not take final shape for days and, even then, that may just be a one week roster. With all the money being freed up, we might even see something interesting happen in the near future.

This!

It's a week one roster.
I'm thinking that The Twig or The Hut might return week 2 or thereafter.
Hoyer gone really took me by surprise.

One thing you can really do with other team's castoffs is scout to find ST gems hidden in the pony droppings. It could be that BB intends to cut a couple fringe ST players replacing them with ST fodder and some with possible position backup upside.

All that said, I concede total failure at predicting the mad Croatian's moves.

Last edited:
I guess this means T.O. is coming to the patriots now.

This!

It's a week one roster.
I'm thinking that The Twig or The Hut might return week 2 or thereafter.
Hoyer gone really took me by surprise.

One thing you can really do with other team's castoffs is scout to find ST gems hidden in the pony droppings. It could be that BB intends to cut a couple fring ST players replacing them with ST fodder and some with possible position backup upside.

All that said, I concede total failure at predicting the mad Croatian's moves.

Early cut (Gaffney) followed by late cut (Branch) made more surprising/questionable due to the early cut. His WR bloodletting has really been reminiscent of his S bloodletting last year.

I just can't wait to talk with Deus about only the WR corps...but be able to include Hernandez in the discussion.

Hernandez is a Tight End and will remain as one with the ability to shift out wide or to the slot.

Re: The big one: Branch Released

Back in July I said Branch was going to be the surprise cut. So it is all my fault. Granted it was because I thought Gaffney and Stallworth (for his special teams) would have roster spots.
Back in July I thought Branch was an absolute sure cut, and then backed off that like a rat on a sinking ship after the Stalworth and Gaffney releases. :D

But it will all make perfect sense if/when Gaffney gets resigned once he is fully healthy.

Early cut (Gaffney) followed by late cut (Branch) made more surprising/questionable due to the early cut. His WR bloodletting has really been reminiscent of his S bloodletting last year.

Except for at least having 2 starting caliber WRs.

For those who might be interested, Bedard will be on 98.5 at 2:20 pm

Other than a few comments for fun (and some SMH posts about the QB spot), I'm holding off judgment on all this for a while. This roster may not take final shape for days and, even then, that may just be a one week roster. With all the money being freed up, we might even see something interesting happen in the near future.

I heard someone saw Adam Seward boarding a plane this morning!

I would add the Vikings to this list.

Vikings already have four QBs on the roster as in Ponder, Webb, Roselfels (aka LOLCopter), and Bethel-Thompson.

and that is not a pleasant to contemplate analogy :(

Except no one has made a move for Gaffney which supports the theory that there is a handshake agreement to bring him back after week one and Branch will likely be a street free agent after week one and potentially brought back. Plus unlike last year, the Pats still have two good starters at the WR position.

Last year, they let the safeties go and they were quickly re-signed and there was a gaping hole at safety next to Chung.

We need to wait a few weeks to see if Gaffney and/or Branch is brought back or the Pats make a trade.

Not 1 player cut yet that wasn't considered on here over the last couple of weeks. It looks like versatility is a big plus for a player and no doubt youth is a factor.

and that is not a pleasant to contemplate analogy :(

I'm less uneasy about this than the safety position last year, but part of that is because I see a likelihood of Gaffney returning. I wanted more speed, and Siskel's other half hasn't been cut yet, so I won't worry about the Branch cut if that's the tradeoff.

If this is the WR corps 2 weeks in, I'll probably join the pitchfork committee.

I just spun around various teams to see the cuts on the wire and there's not much there yet with a large number to go. A lot of UDFAs and poor performers.

The Patriots released more big name guys than other teams at this hour with several team having until 9 p.m. due to late games yesterday still to announce.

The Pats have dumped a decent amount of salary so far giving them some flexibility to pick off a higher-priced talent. Koppen, Hoyer and Branch together clear some $2.7 million in 2012. That's a good salary to have at their disposal.

I must say, these are tough cuts, but the Pats are getting younger and more athletic.

OK, maybe I should start listening to myself.

In my cutdown projection, I said I viewed this initial cut to 53 as being first and foremost about PROTECTING TALENT. Balancing out positional depth at the end of the roster could come later.

Was Deion Branch a guy who required "protecting"? IMO he's worth more more to the Patriots than any other team. His physical skills are much diminished; his value is his precise routes and his mind-meld with Brady. Who's going to outbid NE for those qualities?

But that brings up the question: who are they protecting on the roster by cutting Branch, especially with Hoyer and Koppen freeing up roster spots?

OK, maybe I should start listening to myself.

In my cutdown projection, I said I viewed this initial cut to 53 as being first and foremost about PROTECTING TALENT. Balancing out positional depth at the end of the roster could come later.

Was Deion Branch a guy who required "protecting"? IMO he's worth more more to the Patriots than any other team. His physical skills are much diminished; his value is his precise routes and his mind-meld with Brady. Who's going to outbid NE for those qualities?

But that brings up the question: who are they protecting on the roster by cutting Branch, especially with Hoyer and Koppen freeing up roster spots?

That's a good question, looks like the vets are getting their pink slips first and I think last year it was a pretty long day before we knew what the "final" roster was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back