PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot d*amn, I fully expected him to make the roster after the Gaffney/Stallworth cuts.

Deion? Say what???

I'm praying that he's back after game 1 minus the guaranteed salary. (I'm also praying that cutting Branch AND Gaffney AND Stallworth doesn't end up anything like last year's veteran safety purge.)

Yup. Never figured all 3 of Branch/Gaffney/Stallworth would be cut, 2 of them, yeah.

Entirely possible Gaffney returns on a lesser contract.

Re: The big one: Branch Released

Stay tuned..

Either that, or you can await the 5-TE offense and Jeff Demps circus show on post routs throughout the season.

In reality nothing changes with the greatest offense ever assembled as the big 4 will see most of the snaps (Gronk/Hernandez/Welker/Lloyd), the depth is just very concerning and where the hell it will come from at WR?

At the beginning of camp this is what I expected, but when Stallworth and Gaffney were released, I thought Branch was a lock - so now I am surprised.

Branch off the 53 and onto the shadow roster
Completely surprised me given Stallworth and the formerly surprising dumping of The Hut into the pit

Not surprised that Branch got cut. Could not get separation from 1st string CBs, plus he doesn't contribute on STs.

This is why I had to laugh at all the threads talking about Edelman getting cut.

In reality nothing changes with the greatest offense ever assembled as the big 4 will see most of the snaps (Gronk/Hernandez/Welker/Lloyd), the depth is just very concerning and where the hell it will come from at WR?

More tight ends.

I think Gaffney will be back after week 1 sometime. I gotta guess they have a trade in the works for the WR position though.

Are they planning on signing Burress? Remember his tryout.

Branch, Hoyer, Koppen Released

Branch is surprising leaving us really thin at WR.

Hoyer leaves us thin at QB and I am surprised we couldn't of gotten at least a late round pick for him.

Koppen not a huge shock but still given his relationship with Brady thought he was going to stick.

He won't cut Milloy :eek:

So At The Movies makes the team now?

Hard to stay rational here with the all the shock, but here's the probabilities from most to least likely:

1. This is more of a procedural cut, and the Pats will bring back Branch, Gaffney, and/or Stallworth, in some combination, but the numbers made this advantageous.

2. The Pats will go forward with this roster, a WR corps of Welker/ Lloyd / Edelamn / Ebert? / Demps? / Slater? . Looks pretty darn thin. You'd have to think that Hernandez would be viewed as a WR and they are going with Shiancoe and Fells for "true TEs" for that position. Still, you have only 4 players- Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, and Lloyd (and maybe the TE2s) that are adequate playmakers and then a giant dropoff. No injury depth if one of them goes down.

3. The Pats have a trade worked out for a veteran NFL receiver that they are sure would make a bigger impact. I think this is unlikely but possible.

clayton say 4.8 mil in cap space cleared up

I think Gaffney will be back after week 1 sometime. I gotta guess they have a trade in the works for the WR position though.

We work out of the 12 formation over half our snaps, we're still fine at WR. No trades. We're in an infinitely better position than last season.

Last edited:
Expected at least one surprise cut, but woah... Branch AND Hoyer!?

Re: Branch, Hoyer, Koppen Released

WOW!

Branch - if not Branch, who? What is the benefit of releasing Branch, Gaffney, and Stallworth? Brady goes from three guys experienced & comfortable with him to a lot of questions.

Hoyer - so no value to him? Couldn't trade him for one of those magic seventh-round picks the Patriots love so much from one of the many QB-needy teams?

Koppen - eh.

This should officially knock almost all of the projected rosters out right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes