PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork with non-exclusive tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, just got home, shocked. Deep down, I thought a deal will easily be made.

Trade?

I mean, if we get Cody, then Cody, Pryor, Brace would be good depth, not as good as Vince though.

Cody is a big tub.

High character is rewarded in life, but doesn't always give you the best bottom-dollar number in business. I admire Wilfork's character, and I understand the Patriots business approach.

The guy is a millionaire, I'm not going to "feel bad" because the guy isn't absolutely maximizing his profits. How many of us are maximizing our profits? How many of us don't deserve more money? How many other professions will never earn what they should simply because salaries are more or less determined by the supply and demand curve. Millions of underpaid workers spend a percentage of their money to create such a high demand that allows a select few like Wilfork to earn 20-30 times more than they would have otherwise in their lives.

I agree. You don't pay a player for what he has done for you in the past, but what he can do for you in the future. It was admirable that Wilfork played out his six year deal, but the Pats should reward him financially for it. The NFL is a business and the players know the score.

A 1st, a 2nd and $10M a year? I don't see that happening. As was the case last year, we'll see. This time there is little pressure on the patriots to make an early decision.

I can envision a scenario where either KC / Den / Seattle would look at giving up a low 1st and 2nd for him..

A 1st, a 2nd and $10M a year? I don't see that happening. As was the case last year, we'll see. This time there is little pressure on the patriots to make an early decision.

So your saying there's not a market for him? no cap??.. especially Den / Kc/ Seatl / SF.. especially w/ an emphasis to win NOW.. I could see all 3 of these teams seeing Big Vince as the missing piece towards a SB contending team.. my .02..

I can envision a scenario where either KC / Den / Seattle would look at giving up a low 1st and 2nd for him..

i can see KC giveing there #2 for wilfork, that would give the pats for #2's in a pretty deep draft.

Sergio Kindle, in the first round

Terrence Cody, in the 2th round

Arthur Jones, in the 2th round

Jerry Hughes, in the 2th round

Brandon Spikes, in the 2th round

with mayo buttler and guyton that should give the pats a good young defense for the next feww years.

I would take nothing less than a #1 and 3 for him. He's not Cassel who we got a 2 for.

????

Who said that there was "no market"? As was the case last year for Cassell, there will be a market. I'm simply saying (as I did last year), I would be surprised if someone was willing to pay a 1st and a 2nd. Some thought that someone might even give us a two first last year.

So your saying there's not a market for him? no cap??.. especially Den / Kc/ Seatl / SF.. especially w/ an emphasis to win NOW.. I could see all 3 of these teams seeing Big Vince as the missing piece towards a SB contending team.. my .02..

I agree. You don't pay a player for what he has done for you in the past, but what he can do for you in the future. It was admirable that Wilfork played out his six year deal, but the Pats should reward him financially for it. The NFL is a business and the players know the score.

As I've pointed out in another thread sometime in the past couple of days, you pay a player for past performance as well as future expectations and other things. Every team does it.

Terrence Cody is a fat, out of shape slob. If Ryan Pickett isn't tagged, he should be priority #1 in free agency, to be honest. He'd make Wilfork tradeable.

Last edited:
????

Who said that there was "no market"? As was the case last year for Cassell, there will be a market. I'm simply saying (as I did last year), I would be surprised if someone was willing to pay a 1st and a 2nd. Some thought that someone might even give us a two first last year.

I feel you.. but Wilfork in this economic climate is much higher value than Cassel was last year imo.. I also think that teams will come to the pats quickly this year if there is a market to trade VW due to the way the Pats handled things last year..

You don't see KC giving up their first rounder(#5) even up?

That would be weird on the Pats part, why not just pay a known commodity in Wilfork instead of trading him for the 5th pick and paying so much money to a player who hasnt even been through an NFL practice?

That would be weird on the Pats part, why not just pay a known commodity in Wilfork instead of trading him for the 5th pick and paying so much money to a player who hasnt even been through an NFL practice?

The money for the #5 pick doesn't come anywhere close to more than the Patriots supposedly already offered. If the Patriots feel that, say, Joe Haden is the next Darrelle Revis, then they make that trade.

Last year, Andre Smith at #6 got a 6 million a year contract. Sanchez got a huge contract at #5 but he was the top QB.

Last edited:
I don't think Wilfork is going anywhere. He's been nothing but a great sport for the way he's played out his rookie contract and he still has a lot of productive years left in him. IMO, all this is is most likely the Patriots way to bide time to (hopefully) give Wilfork a deal that he and they are happy with. If he plays out this season and is left to ride off into the sunset afterward, I'll be extremely disappointed in the team.

You don't see KC giving up their first rounder(#5) even up?

In that scenario I think you'd see them trade down and be very happy with the end result.

why are so quick to trade away good talent... ??? Its time to start holding on to pieces....

Terrence Cody is a fat, out of shape slob. If Ryan Pickett isn't tagged, he should be priority #1 in free agency, to be honest. He'd make Wilfork tradeable.

Why would we want to downgrade yet another position on the defense?

The money for the #5 pick doesn't come anywhere close to more than the Patriots supposedly already offered. If the Patriots feel that, say, Joe Haden is the next Darrelle Revis, then they make that trade.

Last year, Andre Smith at #6 got a 6 million a year contract. Sanchez got a huge contract at #5 but he was the top QB.

last years 5th pick mark sanchez, got 5 years 45 million with 28 million up front thats 9 million a year for a rookie thats not a good deal IMO.they are better off paying wilfork,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents