PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork with non-exclusive tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know for certain if Mrs. VW is handling the negotiations? If she is she may have an inflated idea as to his value. Plus, negotiations with her could get too emotionally charged vs negotiations with a 3rd party agent.

No. FAs sign with teams primarily due to the contract that team is offering, not based on future potential negotiations with that team.

Who has signed here as a FA for significantly less? What mythical aura is fading? Bruschi, Brown, Brady are rare and homegrown. All the big FAs signed for market deals, I don't know where people get this idea that players routinely took big discounts to come here in free agency.

Agree 100% with these points. Contracts are pay-for-performance...not rewards for past efforts. The Pats acquire top talent, get the best years out of them and then move on when their performance doesn't justify the pay they are asking for...getting draft picks (trade or comp) to start the cycle over again. If players don't understand this, that certainly isn't the Pats problem. The Steelers do this. The Colts do this. Don't hear anyone complaining about them.

What players have left the team under Belichick and earned their contract with the next team? Asante? The Eagles were a below average defense against the pass. Good pressure and many picks, but otherwise vulnerable. Asante is a stat hound that can't lock down very many people. Anyone else?

Money talks and free agents will follow the money. If players want a family atmosphere, they can work at Starbucks. If they want money regardless of performance, they can work on Wall Street.

Does anyone know for certain if Mrs. VW is handling the negotiations? If she is she may have an inflated idea as to his value. Plus, negotiations with her could get too emotionally charged vs negotiations with a 3rd party agent.

Wives are always involved ;).

Seriously, Kennard McGwire is his agent. I wasn't sure until a week or two ago myself..

Wives are always involved ;).

Seriously, Kennard McGwire is his agent. I wasn't sure until a week or two ago myself..

Thanks, RW. Glad to hear he has a real agent!

i hope i am worng but i just think he will get traded for a lot less then we were hopeing for. like a 2th round pick. maybe KC. 36th pick in the draft.

Just as an aside:

Anyone defending the Patriots trying to pay Wilfork less money based upon his age or the lockout, when the reason he's this age and coming up against the lockout is because the team stuck him with that 6 year contract and Wilfork played the good soldier last year instead of taking a different approach, should remember their acceptance of the Patriots screwing over a "good soldier" before they go spouting off about the way the players act in future contract situations.

Just as an aside:

Anyone defending the Patriots trying to pay Wilfork less money based upon his age or the lockout, when the reason he's this age and coming up against the lockout is because the team stuck him with that 6 year contract and Wilfork played the good soldier last year instead of taking a different approach, should remember their acceptance of the Patriots screwing over a "good soldier" before they go spouting off about the way the players act in future contract situations.

your right wilfork, has been the best NT in the NFL for the last 2 or 3 years he could have done with seymour did and made the pats give him a pay upgrade. but he did not he played out he's contract. and now should be paid by some one. if it's not the pats.

I love that it is the non exlusive tag it's a win situation all around other teams do the heavy lifting in contract talks and if the pats like they keep him and he gets what he wants if it too high they a get 2 first roundersand he gets what he wants.

Re: Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork

Ok just cause the coaching staff decides to pull him on passing situations does not mean Vince is not a 3 down player. He isn't electing to come out it's the staffs decision not his.

Just cause the coaching staff decides not to play him as QB does not mean Vince is not a QB. He isn't electing to not play QB, it's the staffs decision not his.[/

Vince is a 2 down player. If he was a 3 down player, he'd be playing 3 downs.

Seems pretty clear.

Last edited:

Just cause the coaching staff decides not to play him as QB does not mean Vince is not a QB. He isn't electing to not play QB, it's the staffs decision not his.[/

Vince is a 2 down player. If he was a 3 down player, he'd be playing 3 downs.

Seems pretty clear.

Vince was a 3 down player in college playing in a 4-3 system. He doesnt play on 3rd downs because the staff does not want him to ware down since they have no true NT back up on the team.

your right wilfork, has been the best NT in the NFL for the last 2 or 3 years he could have done with seymour did and made the pats give him a pay upgrade. but he did not he played out he's contract. and now should be paid by some one. if it's not the pats.

High character is rewarded in life, but doesn't always give you the best bottom-dollar number in business. I admire Wilfork's character, and I understand the Patriots business approach.

The guy is a millionaire, I'm not going to "feel bad" because the guy isn't absolutely maximizing his profits. How many of us are maximizing our profits? How many of us don't deserve more money? How many other professions will never earn what they should simply because salaries are more or less determined by the supply and demand curve. Millions of underpaid workers spend a percentage of their money to create such a high demand that allows a select few like Wilfork to earn 20-30 times more than they would have otherwise in their lives.

So McGwire is the agent. But who is he working for?

Will someone please tell Moss to STFU? Bottom line: if he gets punked twice again next year by Revis, then he won't get another contract. If he does better, he might. What we're hearing now is just some blather by a guy who's on the downside of his career, and looking for one more payday.

So McGwire is the agent. But who is he working for?

Will someone please tell Moss to (Please be quiet - edited)? Bottom line: if he gets punked twice again next year by Revis, then he won't get another contract. If he does better, he might. What we're hearing now is just some blather by a guy who's on the downside of his career, and looking for one more payday.

Revis "punks" every WR he faces.

Yeah 150K per week(52 weeks) is gonna be tough to swallow........

Last edited:
What's Yoko Wilfork tweeting now

I really didn't want it to come to this. I can understand why the Pats have done it, but I hate it.

Say goodbye to Vince folks, I don't see him wearing the Flying Elvis next season :(

Re: Pats have franchised Wilfork

1. They recived a kick-***** offer for Vince and want to send him out of here before FA starts- see Cassell last year.
Scratch this reason. Cassel wasn't traded before the start of FA. IIRC, he was traded on the first day of FA, which was Feb 28 last year. That was the big deal, remember. Everyone said BB should have waited longer.

Agree 100% with these points. Contracts are pay-for-performance...not rewards for past efforts. The Pats acquire top talent, get the best years out of them and then move on when their performance doesn't justify the pay they are asking for...getting draft picks (trade or comp) to start the cycle over again. If players don't understand this, that certainly isn't the Pats problem. The Steelers do this. The Colts do this. Don't hear anyone complaining about them.

What players have left the team under Belichick and earned their contract with the next team? Asante? The Eagles were a below average defense against the pass. Good pressure and many picks, but otherwise vulnerable. Asante is a stat hound that can't lock down very many people. Anyone else?

Money talks and free agents will follow the money. If players want a family atmosphere, they can work at Starbucks. If they want money regardless of performance, they can work on Wall Street.

Exactly. The days of the NE Patriots supposedly being the top free agent destination where players will play for less are over. The whole "now nobody will want to come here" whining is complete B.S. Besides, the holes we need to fill should come from the draft and trades (Vince, AD and possibly Maroney and Watson)--not from free agents.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though every team has its share of bitter ex-players that badmouth the team over contract issues. Are the Pats really having an unusually bad stretch where players are badmouthing the organization compared to other teams? (I really don't know).

As far as lockerroom chemistry, I don't think losing Vince will change much (unless the Pats aren't even negotiating in good faith, or they totally screw him by asking too much so that a trade never happens).The magic/chemistry from the SB+ years is gone. BB is rebuilding the D from farther down than most of us would want to admit. Time to turn the page.

Vince was a 3 down player in college playing in a 4-3 system. He doesnt play on 3rd downs because the staff does not want him to ware down since they have no true NT back up on the team.

He is a 3 down player. Our pass rush s#cked with him on the sideline. Big ole Vince can penetrate and push the pocket. Nobody was pushing the pocket this year. Big Vince could eat up bodies and free somebody else up to make the play. They need to resign Vince and take the reigns off him. He is easily their best player on D. Him on the sidelines is just stupid. Set the big fella loose.

Great post! If I was a NFL player the Patriots today would not be a organization I would be very attracted to. Who was the last top tier player that was groomed by the Patriots that they extended besides Brady. Seymour was one but we all know how that ended. You got McGinest bad mouthing the team, Moss now showing no faith in the team. If VW is traded away its going to send a bad message to all impending free agents on how the Pats operate. Like I said, if I were a free agent in the NFL I would have strong concerns signing a contract with the Pats.
Yeah, because the Patriots are the only team whose players go to free agency. Every player in all 31 other teams whose contracts expire are extended. This whole thing of hundreds of FAs every year is a myth. There are only ex-Patriots in the FA pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back