PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork with non-exclusive tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to Franchise Wilfork today

KC needs a NT bad. Their 1st and 4th doesnt sound bad.

Just sayin.

KS shelled out a ton of cash last year, are a mid-market team and have two fatties on the line that are high picks. Not sure they can justify the $$$ for VW.

Plus they stink and need good, young players.

However their run D was brutal last year.

Last edited:

KS shelled out a ton of cash last year, are a mid-market team and have two fatties on the line that are high picks. Not sure they can justify the $$$ for VW.

K.C. is at the bottom of the salary barrel. They'd have no problem with Wilfork's salary.

Hell, they should sign Wilfork just so we can watch people losing their minds over the Patriots having to pay top 5 money to a rookie. The humor about "value" alone would be good for months of laughs.

By slapping the non-exlusive on VW, the Pats just opened up the bidding war and a multitude of offers. In a regular year, this may be bad but with a capless year, gotta wonder how many suitors there are out there?

Either way, anytime you have another bidder, the price goes up.

Not looking good for the folks (including me) who want VW to stay. :mad:

I'm one who badly wants Vince on the team, bb better have moves in mind if Vince does go since his name will be exclusively on the defense this year. Moves that actually work...

Pats are letting VW, McGwire and Bianca ;) talk to other clubs to work out a deal & contract and the Pats can decide what to do. Fish or cut bait.

Did the same thing w/ Matty Cassell.

Yep, NE is letting VW test the waters on what amount he is actually worth.

The market for a NT is deep, but without a cap some teams will be cautious how they spend into the future. Particularly with a 2011 lockout looming.

Hell, they should sign Wilfork just so we can watch people losing their minds over the Patriots having to pay top 5 money to a rookie. The humor about "value" alone would be good for months of laughs.
:)

This looks like a draft in which we'd be able to trade down if necessary so I don't think you'd get your laughs. But if we got stuck with, say, Joe Haden, I wouldn't be crying too much.

There is talk of them getting rid of Glenn Dorsey. Plus, Crennel is there.

Its a perfect fit.

K.C. is at the bottom of the salary barrel. They'd have no problem with Wilfork's salary. .

at 83m in payroll lasy year I'd agree, Deus but w/ a mid-market team I would think that they would be cautious signing big ticket FAs. I could be wrong.

LOL.

There is talk of them getting rid of Glenn Dorsey. Plus, Crennel is there.

Its a perfect fit.

Didn't hear the Dorsey talk. Interesting.

mrs75 is tweeting up a storm on the franchising. Nothing really negative but if my wife or I crossed over and got into the others career both of us would be rightly upset.

If it's two 1sts, possible we're stocking up for the 2011 draft by getting someone's 1st this year and next... if he does get a poison pill offer.

Didn't hear the Dorsey talk. Interesting.

He's been somewhat of a bust in kc, wouldn't be surprised if the pats took a look at him if he were to be cut just to see if they can jump start his career.

Patriots name Wilfork as 2010 franchise player

A statement from the Patriots: "A long-term agreement with Vince Wilfork has been the team's top contractual priority for some time. Unfortunately, despite numerous conversations and proposals, the goal has not yet been realized. Vince is a tremendous player for our team and remains a significant part of our future plans. It is because of Vince's importance to this organization that we have assigned the franchise designation as we continue to work toward a long-term agreement. We are hopeful that Vince will remain a Patriot for many years to come."

If it's two 1sts, possible we're stocking up for the 2011 draft by getting someone's 1st this year and next... if he does get a poison pill offer.

I could be wrong, but there is really no "posion pill" here. Vince can work out a Haynesworth-like deal, but if the comp to the Pats is a 3rd rounder, the deal is off.

mrs75 is tweeting up a storm on the franchising. Nothing really negative but if my wife or I crossed over and got into the others career both of us would be rightly upset.

Someone teach this woman that when negotating, the person who usually "tweets" first is the one who makes concessions. ;)

Wilfork's wife is running his negotiations for him. He is the Doug Christie of the NFL

He's been somewhat of a bust in kc, wouldn't be surprised if the pats took a look at him if he were to be cut just to see if they can jump start his career.

I did hear that he hasn't performed up to expectations of a top pick but didn't know that they had reached the point of shipping him out of town...

Some points are missing from a few threads. so this might help

1) You cannot trade a player till the player signs the contract. march 5th is only applicable if the vince signs the contract. If he like samuel sign after the 4th preseason game he can be traded in august.

** Player not given any choice or input the new team is responsbile for new contract.

2) If a team intrested and pats give permission to talk to other teams like Branch then once the player gets a contract the other team does the trade and the player signs

** Player needs to work with new team for contract and upon agreeing the required price is paid.

so even if pats have some one lined up if vince does not agree then he will be traded when he signs the contract .so not sure any team will sit and wait for vince to sign. He can do it up to week 10.

I could be wrong, but there is really no "posion pill" here. Vince can work out a Haynesworth-like deal, but if the comp to the Pats is a 3rd rounder, the deal is off.

Poison pill is only designed so the Patriots financially would not want to match the deal..the team creating the poison pill would still be on the hook for 2 first rounders...somehow I think the Patriots could live with 2 first rounders

watch out for the dolphins in this regard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes