PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork with non-exclusive tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice statement from the pats but if there was progress being made and the two sides were in strinking distance of a new contract they would of waited another day or two and talked more before applying the tag IMO.

This sends a terrible message to the locker room. What is the incentive to become a patriot now?

Patriots name Wilfork as 2010 franchise player

A statement from the Patriots: "A long-term agreement with Vince Wilfork has been the team's top contractual priority for some time. Unfortunately, despite numerous conversations and proposals, the goal has not yet been realized. Vince is a tremendous player for our team and remains a significant part of our future plans. It is because of Vince's importance to this organization that we have assigned the franchise designation as we continue to work toward a long-term agreement. We are hopeful that Vince will remain a Patriot for many years to come."

Brillant PR move. Absolutely brillant.

watch out for the dolphins in this regard
I know 2 first rounders is a hell of a price but remembering what Parcells gave up for Martin and, then, for himself, it's not remotely out of the question to me that the Dolphins might do that.

Poison pill is only designed so the Patriots financially would not want to match the deal..the team creating the poison pill would still be on the hook for 2 first rounders...somehow I think the Patriots could live with 2 first rounders

watch out for the dolphins in this regard

You are right. Thats my point. If the money gets nutty, Pats still get two 1st rounders.

Although the poison pill can create some bad blood b/t/w orgs. Not sure in this era of CBA issues, owner solidarity that one team would do that to another ...Who knows..

Last edited:
Re: Pats to Franchise Wilfork today

There is talk of them getting rid of Glenn Dorsey. Plus, Crennel is there.

Its a perfect fit.

I may be wrong, but I think they're still on the hook for much of Dorsey's contract.

VW would be a perfect fit over there though, especially with Crennel taking over as DC.

As far as VW and the Pats, can't say I'm surprised at how this is playing out.

This sends a terrible message to the locker room. What is the incentive to become a patriot now?

All teams franchise players; Pats are no different. Time for your chill-pill?

Some points are missing from a few threads. so this might help

1) You cannot trade a player till the player signs the contract. march 5th is only applicable if the vince signs the contract. If he like samuel sign after the 4th preseason game he can be traded in august.

** Player not given any choice or input the new team is responsbile for new contract.

2) If a team intrested and pats give permission to talk to other teams like Branch then once the player gets a contract the other team does the trade and the player signs

** Player needs to work with new team for contract and upon agreeing the required price is paid.

so even if pats have some one lined up if vince does not agree then he will be traded when he signs the contract .so not sure any team will sit and wait for vince to sign. He can do it up to week 10.

Vince doesn't need permission to talk to other teams under the non exclusive tag. If he signs an offer sheet we can match the deal or take two firsts. What usually happens is the player brings the new team and his present team together to do a trade compensation deal. If they can agree, he then signs his tag and is traded. If no one is willing to trade for him...well, then he is screwed...

Nice statement from the pats but if there was progress being made and the two sides were in strinking distance of a new contract they would of waited another day or two and talked more before applying the tag IMO.

Or used the exclusive tag so no one tried to knock the sides off course at 12:01AM on the 5th... I think the Pats really want to retain him, but not at any cost. They are open to gauging his market and potentially trading him away if it proves to be too steep. I think they are counting on the labor uncertainty to keep his market manageable, but they are prepared to move on if that's not the case.

You are right. Thats my point. If the money gets nutty, Pats still get two 1st rounders.

Pats only lose if VW holds out till the 10th game; if so, VW loses 5/8 of $7million and quite possibly all of 2011 if there is a lockout. VW, I love you, dude, but maybe it's time to re-evaluate your negotiating strength...

Non-exclusive was a great move. Let VW negotiate with other teams firsthand and find out what is worth really is. Tells me the Pats think his demands are off the wall.

Although the poison pill can create some bad blood b/t/w orgs. Not sure in this era of CBA issues, owner solidarity that one team would do that to another ...Who knows..
Because of the trade price and the existence of the exclusive tag, poison pills don't really come into play in franchise tag situations. RFA and transition tag are where you saw them because of the lesser or non existent draft compensation... but I agree you aren't as likely to see them this season because of the labor environment and because the league has threatened to make eliminating them an issue going forward...

Vince doesn't need permission to talk to other teams under the non exclusive tag. If he signs an offer sheet we can match the deal or take two firsts. What usually happens is the player brings the new team and his present team together to do a trade compensation deal. If they can agree, he then signs his tag and is traded. If no one is willing to trade for him...well, then he is screwed...

He does not as he is not signed . I think once he signs he cannot talk.
i was talking about the exclusive tag.
2 first if its a hostile signing ie the patriots are not involved in the discussion. I do not see any team paying that high price.

He is not screwed he has till week 10 to sign the tender to get this franchise tag on the book.

Pats only lose if VW holds out till the 10th game; if so, VW loses 5/8 of $7million and quite possibly all of 2011 if there is a lockout. .

Pats lose from a on-the-field competitive standpoint/lockeroom atmosphere only- which is all important thus why they worked out a deal with Asante.

By every other measurable, money, career, marketability to other teams, uncertain market for his svcs in a capped/uncapped/locked out 2011, Vince is in a tough spot.

Last edited:

Given that the Pats front office will be heading to Indy on Wednesday for the combine, I'm not sure what the big deal is - Vince isn't the only thing that needs to be taken care of right now - all they've done is extend their negotiating window. It doesn't really matter if they sign a long term deal right now or at the end of June - as soon as VW gets the long term deal he'll be happy - if a long term deal isn't struck then the Pats have ensured that they'll either have VW for one more year or they'll get great compensation for losing him.

Or used the exclusive tag so no one tried to knock the sides off course at 12:01AM on the 5th... I think the Pats really want to retain him, but not at any cost. They are open to gauging his market and potentially trading him away if it proves to be too steep. I think they are counting on the labor uncertainty to keep his market manageable, but they are prepared to move on if that's not the case.

I too believe they really want to retain him, I hope they can come to terms with eachother and still reach a deal. What would suck is if they've stopped negotiating due to major separation on contract numbers.

One other potential angle to the "why now?" question. While everyone assumes that there wouldn't be a new CBA agreement for 2010, it was still possible. If something happened and FA status went back to 4 years, now Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Ghost would all be hitting the market on the 5th. That radically changes the plan for this year.

Until now, nobody had made any moves based on the uncapped rules for 2010. Maybe the league and owners have spread the word that the rules for 2010 aren't changing and to plan accordingly. That gives everyone 2 weeks to get their teams in order before FA begins. I expect the Pats to continue negotiating with Wilfork/Brady/Mankins/Ghost but the urgency is lessened. Now the Pats can look to Bodden (and TBC/Burgess to a lesser extent) before next Friday.

So maybe the Pats kept the franchise tag in their pocket until they were sure the rules were set. Now that they are sure, they can start executing Plan A and getting Wilfork locked in is the first step, followed soon by qualifying offers to Mankins and Ghost.

2 first if its a hostile signing ie the patriots are not involved in the discussion. I do not see any team paying that high price.

He is not screwed he has till week 10 to sign the tender to get this franchise tag on the book.

English... He didn't get the exclusive so he can talk to anyone come March 5th. If he decides to sign his tag he can no longer talk to anyone. If he holds out until week 10 he is screwed because he will look like crap if he even makes it on the field thereafter and he will lose 10/17ths of that tag price and he may have no market in 2011 because the league is lockedout or his market may have diminished greatly because a new CBA with a more restrictive cap (which is the whole point of a lockout because it's what the owners would lockout for) is flooded with the guys who really got screwed as 5th and 6th year RFA's in 2010.

Once signed, he cannot talk without the Patriots' permission. (Remember that the Patriots had to give Branch permission to negotiate with other teams.)

And, yes, he does have until week 10 to sign the tender, but he loses 1/17 of the tender amount for each week he holds out (in this case, about $400K+ a week).

English... He didn't get the exclusive so he can talk to anyone come March 5th. If he decides to sign his tag he can no longer talk to anyone. If he holds out until week 10 he is screwed because he will look like crap if he even makes it on the field thereafter and he will lose 10/17ths of that tag price and he may have no market in 2011 because the league is lockedout or his market may have diminished greatly because a new CBA with a more restrictive cap (which is the whole point of a lockout because it's what the owners would lockout for) is flooded with the guys who really got screwed as 5th and 6th year RFA's in 2010.

This is what VW's agent has to understand going forward. I have read estimates from 400-500 ufa's hitting the market after 2010 season. Incredible!

What worries me is the more times the Pats have issues with thier players and contract negotiations and franchise them and the players eventually leave for more money,isn't there going to come a time where good talent in free agency says to themselves I am not interested in going to the Pats,its a hassle?

The time to take less and play for an organization like the Patriots that is consistently on top of the NFL is fading somewhat,the aura is slowly diminishing so the team needs to show FAs that they are a team that they can join and be paid well and taken care of,thats why negotaitions with Wilfork need to be as swift and as smooth as possible.

The team is obviously getting a bad rap around the league,especially from some of its own former players to boot and needs to change peoples way of thinking and Wilfork's contract is a start to getting more faith in prospective talent in the FA Waters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back