PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork with non-exclusive tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to Franchise Wilfork today

I don't think too much should be read into this. We all knew he was going to be franchised. They were obviously working on a long term deal but couldn't agree. The ball is now in Wilfork's court; does he sign the tender early and request to be traded? Or just sit back, refuse to sign and hold out of OTAs and camp. I wonder if he will eventually cave and take the long term deal the Pats are offering, drop his demands slightly for long term security. He should be careful as the deal the Pats have offered may not be on the table much longer if they decide to go a different way in free agency.

A first and a third.

Isn't that the going rate for the tag we gave him?

Yes, but we gave the same tag to Cassel and the deal was negotiated down lower.

That being said, I don't think the Pats let him go for less than a 1st and 3rd, especially since they have a little more leverage as they're not being handcuffed by this as much as the $14m Cassel tag.

Re: Pats have franchised Wilfork

For #1, someone said you can't trade until after March 5th anyway, so even if they'd worked something out they wouldn't be able to do it until after the Franchise deadline either way.."

I'm aware. Teams can still talk.

For #2, again, there is no penalty for tagging early, but no advantage either. Other teams still wouldn't be able to negotiate with him until well after the 25th anyway..

Yep.

#3 makes sense to me. A show of force almost, saying, "Fine, you don't want to talk, here's what happens."

Never want to negotiate this way but sometimes, you gotta....

A first and a third.
I think that is actually possible from a team picking in the 20s. From a team in the top ten ? Highly, highly unlikely.

4 Possible Reasons:

1. They recived a kick-***** offer for Vince and want to send him out of here before FA starts- see Cassell last year.

2. Both sides think adequete progress has been made in the negotiations and the Pats want to negotiate with him exclusively.

3. The Pats are peeved that VW is not coming back to the negotiating table and utilizing the tag as a tactic to bring VW back to the table.

4. Vince came back with some numbers and the Pats said no. See 1, 2 and 3 as possible outcomes.

All are plausible. Did I forget any?

Well, I hope it's #2 above, but if not, take the picks and get some playmakers!

I heard Curran on WEEI, but I must have missed the part about the tag being the non-exclusive version the way the thread title states.

Can someone verify that part for me?

Last edited:

No. The franchise tag compensation rate is two 1st rounders.

But subject to negotation. See Cassell for a 2nd last year..

I'm aware. Teams can still talk.

Can they though? I mean legally? Weren't the Pats not allowed to discuss a trade for Peppers until he signed the franchise tender?

Never want to negotiate this way but sometimes, you gotta....

Agreed. It's an ugly tactic, though still a fair one. I'm hoping this isn't the case as it likely means the negotiations are VERY far apart.

I heard Curran on WEEI, but I must have missed the part about the tag being the non-exclusive version the way the thread title states.

Can someone verify that part for me?

What is a non exclusive tag ?

"A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation."

But subject to negotation. See Cassell for a 2nd last year..

If that's the case, Vince is gone. No way he plays for 7M for one year--he'll hold out. Way too many teams out there that will pay big coin (and draft picks for arguably the best NT in the league.

I think BB is going to a 4-3 anyway

For this type of tag the player can talk with other teams and seek out offers, but compensation is two first rounders or can be negotiated

An exclusive tag...the player can not talk with other teams

Pats are letting VW, McGwire and Bianca ;) talk to other clubs to work out a deal & contract and the Pats can decide what to do. Fish or cut bait.

Did the same thing w/ Matty Cassell.

Last edited:

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

"A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation."

They must be far apart on the contract which sucks cause I want Vince back bad, but I guess 2 first round picks 3 if you add ours would be sweet. Nevermind that one 1st rounder would be this year the other would be in 2011 giving us 3 since we own oaklands pick.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering that, I wasn't sure either.

Here is how the Patriots should play this...keeping in mind they have Pryor and Brace and really VW has ZERO leverage..made much worse by the pending lockout

If another team offers two first rounders take it or be willing to negotiate down to a top 15 first round draft pick this year. Accept nothing less than a top 15 pick

If Big Vince holds out...let him hold out...this would be crazy with the 2011 lock out looming he would lose 2 FULL years of salary in his prime...ultimately I am sure he would have to cave and accept long term deal on PATS terms

Last edited:
With all the teams running 3-4 defenses now and the importance of the nose tackle in these defenses, there should be a lot of trade offers.

I think that is actually possible from a team picking in the 20s. From a team in the top ten ? Highly, highly unlikely.

KC needs a NT bad. Their 1st and 4th doesnt sound bad.

Just sayin.

By slapping the non-exlusive on VW, the Pats just opened up the bidding war and a multitude of offers. In a regular year, this may be bad but with a capless year, gotta wonder how many suitors there are out there?

Either way, anytime you have another bidder, the price goes up.

Not looking good for the folks (including me) who want VW to stay. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye