PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats have franchised Wilfork with non-exclusive tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
What worries me is the more times the Pats have issues with thier players and contract negotiations and franchise them and the players eventually leave for more money,isn't there going to come a time where good talent in free agency says to themselves I am not interested in going to the Pats,its a hassle?

No. FAs sign with teams primarily due to the contract that team is offering, not based on future potential negotiations with that team.

The time to take less and play for an organization like the Patriots that is consistently on top of the NFL is fading somewhat,the aura is slowly diminishing so the team needs to show FAs that they are a team that they can join and be paid well and taken care of,thats why negotaitions with Wilfork need to be as swift and as smooth as possible.

Who has signed here as a FA for significantly less? What mythical aura is fading? Bruschi, Brown, Brady are rare and homegrown. All the big FAs signed for market deals, I don't know where people get this idea that players routinely took big discounts to come here in free agency.

Last edited:
What worries me is the more times the Pats have issues with thier players and contract negotiations and franchise them and the players eventually leave for more money,isn't there going to come a time where good talent in free agency says to themselves I am not interested in going to the Pats,its a hassle?

The time to take less and play for an organization like the Patriots that is consistently on top of the NFL is fading somewhat,the aura is slowly diminishing so the team needs to show FAs that they are a team that they can join and be paid well and taken care of,thats why negotaitions with Wilfork need to be as swift and as smooth as possible.

The team is obviously getting a bad rap around the league,especially from some of its own former players to boot and needs to change peoples way of thinking and Wilfork's contract is a start to getting more faith in prospective talent in the FA Waters.

Great post! If I was a NFL player the Patriots today would not be a organization I would be very attracted to. Who was the last top tier player that was groomed by the Patriots that they extended besides Brady. Seymour was one but we all know how that ended. You got McGinest bad mouthing the team, Moss now showing no faith in the team. If VW is traded away its going to send a bad message to all impending free agents on how the Pats operate. Like I said, if I were a free agent in the NFL I would have strong concerns signing a contract with the Pats.

his market may have diminished greatly because a new CBA with a more restrictive cap (which is the whole point of a lockout because it's what the owners would lockout for) is flooded with the guys who really got screwed as 5th and 6th year RFA's in 2010.

I really believe that the players are kidding themselves by ignoring this situation. In 2011, the cap is likely going down and certainly not going up from the 2009 level. The only variable in that equation is if the league expands the schedule to 18 games which expands the revenue pool...but I wouldn't be counting on that.

I think Wilfork eventually signs a deal with the Pats. He will come to realize that he doesn't want to be looking for big money in 2011 as a 30 yo big man with the league conditions that you describe. That is assuming that the Pats aren't trying to lowball him. If they are, shame on them and I wouldn't blame Wilfork for venting his frustration to get himself traded this offseason.

Statement from Bianca Wilfork:

"In regards to the many calls and emails I am receiving in response to the franchise tag we figured this would be the easiest way to [address the issue]:

"The franchise tag has been applied. After six years of dedicated service I do understand this is a business. With that being said it is my hope that the tag is applied for its true purpose: For the purpose of alotting more time for us to continue our talks and be able to reach a long term agreement. Only time will tell what the final result will be."

Comments from the Wilfork camp - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Also a very good PR statement from the Wilfork camp...

Great post! If I was a NFL player the Patriots today would not be a organization I would be very attracted to. Who was the last top tier player that was groomed by the Patriots that they extended besides Brady. Seymour was one but we all know how that ended. You got McGinest bad mouthing the team, Moss now showing no faith in the team. If VW is traded away its going to send a bad message to all impending free agents on how the Pats operate. Like I said, if I were a free agent in the NFL I would have strong concerns signing a contract with the Pats.

Ironic, isn't it, that Moss is one player who did get a big money contract extension?

The Franchise tag is there for a reason, folks. The Pats aren't the only team to have ever used it. That said, I agree that since no SB's have been won in last 5 years, a good player may not identify the Pats as a certain destination. OTOH, just because of the Franchise tag's use, they aren't going to say no to the Pats either.

The respective statements from either side suggest to me that there is no deal imminent or even close at all. It looks like the sort of PR you would get from both sides before a messy divorce.

I don't think there is that much time left for talks. Eventually the Pats will pull the offer they made and move in another direction in free agency - whether that be going after Peppers, or re-distributing the money to the likes of Bodden and other mid level defenders.

I wonder if tires will start getting kicked on Vince in Indy. The timing of this could'nt be better for the club. They get a chance to see if any legit interest is out there. Helpful info to have moving forward.

What bothers me even more now is that Moss is actually a captain on this team with an obvious problem with the way the team treats thier players.

Aren't captains on a team supposed to be leaders and guys the others should look up to?

If Moss now has this attitude and that the team won't take care of him how are the young guys who view Moss as a leader supposed to respect the organization that employs them?

I am truly concerned about the nature of this team's phyche going into 2010 when captains are mouthing off and at times they don't really need to....and its only February.

Last edited:

That's OK though because if you're a player that is overly concerned with that kind of crap you're probably not a target of this FO... Pioli used to reiterate often that this system limits the talent pool from which players are located...by design. What they are looking for are football matters players who want to work with a HC like BB and for an organization that doesn't point fingers and field a QB like TFB. If your primary goal is maximizing your earnings potential you may be out of luck here unless you overachieve that potential... Although as Fred Smerlas was saying earlier this was long a place where an aging player who did have something left could actually extend his career because Bill isn't talent centric and he uses the scheme to get the most out of his older players who can compensate for being less athletic by being significantly smarter.

Last edited:
The respective statements from either side suggest to me that there is no deal imminent or even close at all. It looks like the sort of PR you would get from both sides before a messy divorce.

I don't think there is that much time left for talks. Eventually the Pats will pull the offer they made and move in another direction in free agency - whether that be going after Peppers, or re-distributing the money to the likes of Bodden and other mid level defenders.

Both sides sound hopeful to me, if they werent close at all neither side probably would not mention they will be continuing to talk in hopes of reaching a long term agreement. It could of been a lot worse if the Pats promised not to franchise Wilfork again next off season.

Last edited:
What bothers me even more now is that Moss is actually a captain on this team with an obvious problem with the way the team treats thier players.

Aren't captains on a team supposed to be leaders and guys the others should look up to?

If Moss now has this attitude and that the team won't take care of him how are the young guys who view Moss as a leader supposed to respect the organization that employs them?

I am truly concerned about the nature of this team's phyche going into 2010 when captains are mouthing off and at times they don't really need to....and its only February.

That is the concern about what Bill characterizes as negative leadership. Doesn't mean you're a bad guy, just not the kind of guy who is committed to the message he wants delivered as part of the system.

Believe me, someone counts these ballots and he won't be a captain in 2010...just like Seymour never was after 2006. Because they felt like they stepped up and met that player more than halfway and it netted them nothing...

You need to make up your mind?

You asked two seperate questions.

Indy kicking the tiers on Vince- No for many reasons. Indy doesn't have the cash, won't give up the picks and won't deal with the Pats. Plus they play a 4-3.

Pats seeing what they can get for VW in the market and how to gague his comp- I assume that some team out there will offer up a good package of picks for VW. It just won't be the Colts. They will also have a clearer picture of what he is worth on the market for $$$

Last edited:
That is the concern about what Bill characterizes as negative leadership. Doesn't mean you're a bad guy, just not the kind of guy who is committed to the message he wants delivered as part of the system.

Believe me, someone counts these ballots and he won't be a captain in 2010...just like Seymour never was after 2006. Because they felt like they stepped up and met that player more than halfway and it netted them nothing...

Mo I'm going to hold you to this, because I'm extremely confident that Moss will be a 2010 captain. Extremely confident.

I still have no problem with Wilfork playing the year under the franchise. I have no problem with the Pats trading him if someone give them a great deal (it is possible that the Pats could get a first and another decent pick considering there are so many 3-4 teams and so few legitimate NTs). I have no problem if they get a deal done like the one rumored to be offered. I will be hesitant though if they give the guy $35-40 million in guarantees that might be what he is looking for.

You asked two seperate questions.

Indy kicking the tiers on Vince- No for many reasons. Indy doesn't have the cash, won't give up the picks and won't deal with the Pats. Plus they play a 4-3.

Pats seeing what they can get for VW in the market and how to gague his comp- I assume that some team out there will offer up a good package of picks for VW. It just won't be the Colts. They will also have a clearer picture of what he is worth on the market for $$$

No, in Indy..... The Combine. Not the Colts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes