PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Marshall Faulk not over being cheated out of Super Bowl victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
th

Felger is supposedly going to ask Willie about this coming up in a few minutes. Let's see if he says anything interesting.

As time passes, the one thing I lament is the poor PR job that this team has done on these types of issues.. they just take what these twitter loving jackazzes put out there.

The Pats should have refuted Spygate and refuted this crap.. as much as I respect BB, this is one thing that I wish he would change..

My blood boils this morning when i first read all this crap. :mad:
If i have one complaint about the pats is the absolute miserable PR job they did by not responding to any of it. They dont care for the national media or what they say and its understandable but pats fans have to keep hearing this forever. Its the unfortunate truth.

There were a lot of us screaming for them not to cave, but they wanted to go along to get along. They were stupid for that, and time has shown that, I think.

play-by-play:

USATODAY.com - Super Bowl XXXVI play-by-play

1 redzone possession for StL, 1 TD.

All 3rd down stops by NE for the entire game:

3rd and 18 from the SL 49: K.Warner pass to M.Faulk to NE 40 for 11 yards. Punt.

3rd and 3 from the NE 32: K.Warner pass incomplete to R. Proehl. made FG

3rd and 5 from the NE 34: K.Warner pass incomplete to A.Hakim. FG missed.

3rd and 1 from the 50: K.Warner pass incomplete to R.Proehl. Punt

3rd and 17 from the NE 48: K.Warner pass incomplete. Punt

3rd and 5 from the NE 45: K.Warner pass intended for T.Holt INTERCEPTED by O.Smith at NE 37. O.Smith to SL 33 for 30 yards.

3rd and 20 from the NE 49: K.Warner pass incomplete to T.Holt (O.Smith)

summary:
one 3rd down stopped by INT
three stopped, as expected, on 3rd and 17 or more yards
two stopped on 3rd and 5 attempts (a distance that favors the D)

So it would seem that the two 3rd and short incompletions to Proehl were really the Rams only really good 3rd down shots at keeping a drive alive. Making two stops is cheating. OK. Or maybe you can run it on 3rd and 1 from midfield, you pansy.

Especially since, as I recall, they were supposed to have had a pretty decent running back. Forget his name, though.

FWIW, check out the reddit thread on this over in r/nfl:

Marshall Faulk: 'I'll never be over being cheated out of Super Bowl' by the Patriots : nfl

Each poster's fandom is noted by the logo next to the username. The most popular comment string (with 330 upvotes and 86 downvotes) is a Seahawks fan, a Dolphins fan, and a Ravens fan all agreeing that Spygate was pretty much a non-issue that gets blown way out of proportion by idiot fans (and idiot players) who don't have any understanding of what happens.

I guess that what I'm saying is, as much as we have to deal with the crappiest fans from all of the opposing teams, we shouldn't forget that in general, more fans than not understand how minor it all was.

Willie:

"We had checks for every situation, I don't know what he's talking about specifically but we had checks for every formation regardless of what we saw them do on game film."

"If we had extra information that game wouldn't have come down to a field goal"

I know like all of you I am getting sick of tired of hearing about this crap every year during the Superbowl.....whether we are in it or not. It's stunning, it really is. I wish someone would pull aside this douche and tell him enough is enough. He's only tarnishing his own image at this point. Everything that has been said about us has been said.

I really want to say "Who cares?" but the fact is, I do care. I'm TIRED of this.

I love the fans who scream "cover up" and "destroyed the evidence" as if the league couldn't have just said "the Patriots did nothing wrong" and been done with it if they wanted to. Goodell screwed the pooch by burning those tapes because it gave everyone a conspiracy theory. If they had just shown the damn things like the Walsh tapes we wouldn't be talking about this 5 years later.

I love the fans who scream "cover up" and "destroyed the evidence" as if the league couldn't have just said "the Patriots did nothing wrong" and been done with it if they wanted to. Goodell screwed the pooch by burning those tapes because it gave everyone a conspiracy theory. If they had just shown the damn things like the Walsh tapes we wouldn't be talking about this 5 years later.

Goodell screwed the pooch with his idiotic press conference railing against the Patriots as if they'd been drowning puppies instead of filming from the sidelines when the could legally have been filming from inside a properly located and enclosed area.

Had he just noted that the Patriots location was the problem and given an appropriate fine (low pick, small dollars), this issue would have died in a week.

Goodell screwed the pooch with his idiotic press conference railing against the Patriots as if they'd been drowning puppies instead of filming from the sidelines when the could legally have been filming from inside a properly located and enclosed area.

Had he just noted that the Patriots location was the problem and given an appropriate fine (low pick, small dollars), this issue would have died in a week.

Given BB's hit rate on first rounders, it really makes your blood boil, doesn't it.

Watch out. The band of homers around here aren't going to like that one. But you're right. This is something that Belichick should have set straight right from the get go.

Wrong.

Belichick couldn't a rat's azz. He's not a normal human. We all know that.

The problem is the OWNER not fighting this out in libel suits. He just takes it.

I hate to say it, but THAT makes me wonder.

Goodell even bought it up last yr with his peter king interview that he was disappointed that BB didnt apologize or something. Anyone who thinks goodell helped the pats needs to get their head checked.

Willie:

"We had checks for every situation, I don't know what he's talking about specifically but we had checks for every formation regardless of what we saw them do on game film."

"If we had extra information that game wouldn't have come down to a field goal"

hopefully he says it to his face on TV.

Wrong.

Belichick couldn't a rat's azz. He's not a normal human. We all know that.

The problem is the OWNER not fighting this out in libel suits. He just takes it.

I hate to say it, but THAT makes me wonder.

Belichick clearly "gave a rat's ass". He would never admit to it publicly, though.

Your logic is weak. Having a team people talk about his all well and good. Having a team that people talk about because a simple rules infraction blew up when it shouldn't have is a completely different thing.

yeah, because if it had been cleveland people would still be talking.

when you win this many games, it means you leave a lot of unhappy people behind you.
I'll take the wins -- I'm not that thin skinned.

if you actually have any faith that belichick knows wtf he's doing you'd follow his example and heed his advice.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
Willie McGinest responds to Marshall Faulk's comments: If Pats had cheated, "it would've been a blowout." McGinest: If Pats had cheated, 'it would have been a blowout' #PatriotsTalk

Go Willie!

And by the way, amazing how this comment from Goodell (in the OP's linked-to story) never gets traction:

In April of 2008, Goodell explained his findings and decision to destroy the tapes he'd confiscated.

"The reason I destroyed the tapes is they were totally consistent with what the team told me," Goodell said during his State of the NFL speech at the NFL Owners Meetings. "It was the appropriate thing to do and I think it sent a message.

"The actual effectiveness of taping and taking of signals from opponents -- it is something done widely in many sports. I think it probably had limited, if any effect, on the outcome of games.

"That doesn't change my perspective on violating rules and the need to be punished."

Note that the part in bold is from Goodell. Not a Pats fan.

yeah, because if it had been cleveland people would still be talking.

when you win this many games, it means you leave a lot of unhappy people behind you.
I'll take the wins -- I'm not that thin skinned.

if you actually have any faith that belichick knows wtf he's doing you'd follow his example and heed his advice.

Who did it isn't really relevant. However, if you're happy about the mass media still harping on a non-truth and fueling the rest of the fanbases that already dislike the Patriots because it keeps the Patriots relevant in the storylines, then all the power to you.

Willie should of said "He sounds like a miserable, fat, bitter, little douche-bag making excuses for gettin dropped, next subject?"

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
Willie McGinest responds to Marshall Faulk's comments: If Pats had cheated, "it would've been a blowout." McGinest: If Pats had cheated, 'it would have been a blowout' #PatriotsTalk

Go Willie!

And by the way, amazing how this comment from Goodell (in the OP's linked-to story) never gets traction:

Note that the part in bold is from Goodell. Not a Pats fan.

They don't bring that up for the same reason they don't bring up Jimmy Johnson's comments and they claim "cover up" ignoring that if the league actually wanted to cover it up they would have, it doesn't fit their agenda. Let's be honest, in 2001 this team made a lot of controversy with the tuck rule game and there was a large segment of the population that thought the Raiders got screwed so people were looking for an excuse to discredit the Patriots since then. Add in 2 more Superbowls, beating the leagues poster child twice and the loud mouthed Steelers twice along the way in the playoffs, and then throw in Spygate and you have a perfect storm of media and annoying but large fan bases who finally have their reasoning behind the Patriots success. It wasn't that the Patriots were good and they sucked, it was that they were cheating, and of course the league was helping with the tuck rule call and then destroying the tapes. It's all nonsense of course, but they cling to it to excuse their failures, hey they're human, I still curse Mike Carey and blame him for SB 42.

I would think Mr. Faulk should look more at how his team's defense let Brady surgically and methodically vault their way down the field into scoring position to win the game.

The most important part of any game is the final part.....The Rams defense failed in that regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST