PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable is ready, is he able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Crable is ready,is he able?

I am not sold on the way BB handles OLBs. He tries to convert every player; even 3-4 veterans are converted to "pats system" LBs. Everyone has such a steep learning curve here, even proven veterans like Burgess; let alone the youngsters. It takes so long to bring a guy up to speed and see playing field and then find out they are not the answer (see Woods). Why not throw them out there early? It's not as if we are losing much. The OLB playing was very poor either way, why not throw youngsters out there.

Even if we drafted Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews, I think BB will still sit them and not let them play and mess them with "Pats" techniques. It's a total mess up the way he coaches OLBs. I really don't think Cunningham will see adquate playing time this year.

The root of OLB problems is BB.
So you know of a coach whose methods were more successful than BB's "pats system" during his term as a Pats HC?

A system that nets 3 Lombardis over 10 years should not be tossed away because it failed to net a Lombardi seven years out of ten.

When the Texans win a bunch of superbowls I'll be convinced that the Texans method of handling OLBs is better than the Pats method. Generating a bunch of individual stats is not always the same as having a superior defense.

I hope he's ready. One more injury and he's probably toast on this team. If Crable can stay healthy and make an impact this season, it will help this defense immensely. I've got low expectations, though.

I take a back seat to NO man in my willingness to Call Out Coach Bill II ~ The Mad ~ on his MANY dubious tendencies.

HOWEVER:

A system that nets 3 Lombardis over 10 years should not be tossed away because it failed to net a Lombardi seven years out of ten.

BEAUTIFUL. :cool:

That says it PERFECTLY.

Walt Disney didn't always get it right.

Beethoven penned a few Dogs.

Hell, even Genghis Khan left a few Kingdoms unconquered.

But Coach Bill II ~ The Mad Genius ~ is MAGNIFICENT. And we ought ~ as wizened and discerning Yankees ~ SAVOR every moment of his Excellence that Fate chooses to BLESS us with.

The debris who call in on Talk Radio ~ and who HOST Talk Radio ~ as well as scum like Borges, Shaughnessy, and their misbegotten ilk ~ ought reflect on that statement, every time they're on the verge of poisoning the AirWaves or CyberSpace with their bitter, turgid gunk.

I am not sold on the way BB handles OLBs. He tries to convert every player; even 3-4 veterans are converted to "pats system" LBs. Everyone has such a steep learning curve here, even proven veterans like Burgess; let alone the youngsters. It takes so long to bring a guy up to speed and see playing field and then find out they are not the answer (see Woods). Why not throw them out there early? It's not as if we are losing much. The OLB playing was very poor either way, why not throw youngsters out there.

Even if we drafted Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews, I think BB will still sit them and not let them play and mess them with "Pats" techniques. It's a total mess up the way he coaches OLBs. I really don't think Cunningham will see adquate playing time this year.

So you want him to put guys out there to play a different defense than the one he calls?

Why the hate on the player. He was put on IR for bogus injuries. I am sure he did not ask for that. Look at the puppet master. When was the last time he had success developing a OLB he drafted? 10 years ago?? BB sucks in this area (developing young OLBs). He has to rank at the very bottom of the league.

Don't hate the player; hate the system!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

OK lets go with this.
Give me the list of all the young OLBs he drafted in the first 3-4 rounds and we will analyze how he did in developing them.

So you know of a coach whose methods were more successful than BB's "pats system" during his term as a Pats HC?

When the Texans win a bunch of superbowls I'll be convinced that the Texans method of handling OLBs is better than the Pats method. Generating a bunch of individual stats is not always the same as having a superior defense.

What is wrong with pointing out the fact that BB has failed to properly develop a stud OLB in his tenure? He struck gold with Vrable and after that literally nothing. Well unless you want to crow about TBC who is an average starter.

Even the best have weaknesses. IMO I think BB has too stringent demands for OLBs which ******s the progress of the entire defense. I've said it before but any defensive scheme that has no room for a Clay Matthews or Lamar Woodley might need some self-scouted evaluation.

Evolve or die.

I hope he gets a shot. Last year i excepted some more play time
from woods just because he was in the lineup before injury .then once burgess came over just because of the draft picks spend he played more.

Crabel has to really show something to climb over cunningham due to the draft status.He is too lanky to beat someone on spl teams. Even in college and before injury he was a spl team guy.

i rember ther was a story like this one on him last year befor BB put him on IR

the story syas he's willy mac big ? 270lbs im not sure i think we all know BB wanted him to beef up a lil. but if he did put on a full 30lbs i think we can count on him not being a pass rusher any more he would pretty much be Pierre Woods, a guy who can set the edge and add good dept.

Ignorant comments like this are proof that some people should just keep their mouth shut. Crable has played in pre-season games in each of the last 2 years. So, he HAS played a down.. And he was drafted in 2008.. That was only 2 years ago.. As for your comparison.. again, ignorant.

Settle down chief.

From this article & the previous one this guy acts like a 50 year old man. I really hope he can stay healthy & contribute but from his tone I don't see it. He is in his early 20's & if 100% healthy should be ready to run through a wall not talking about hoping he can hold up. :confused:

Settle down chief.

From this article & the previous one this guy acts like a 50 year old man. I really hope he can stay healthy & contribute but from his tone I don't see it. He is in his early 20's & if 100% healthy should be ready to run through a wall not talking about hoping he can hold up. :confused:

A brick wall? I don't think Crable can run through a high school banner that says, "GO PATRIOTS!" without breaking a few ribs. ;)

Crable's put on five massive pounds in two years. What a ridiculous article.
First, Guregian says he's "Willie McGinest massive". But when I read he's 6-5 245 pounds, I wanted to stop reading as it was a bad comparison. So basically he's lost mass in his upper body to make his lower body look bigger if he hasn't gained much muscle. In two years, he should've been able to add 20 pounds of muscle in his sleep considering the type of resources NFL players have available.
Why the hate on the player. He was put on IR for bogus injuries. I am sure he did not ask for that. Look at the puppet master. When was the last time he had success developing a OLB he drafted? 10 years ago?? BB sucks in this area (developing young OLBs). He has to rank at the very bottom of the league.

Don't hate the player; hate the system!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
Here's the problem, it took until 2008 for the Pats to start drafting LB's within the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Last edited:

“Mentally, I’m a lot better,” he responded. “I know a lot more of the playbook, I know a little more of what is going on. I don’t feel like I’m walking into something I don’t know what to expect.”
You think he would know the whole playbook by know :D

The same reports about Crable being awesome and ready and good to go were being written last year. I won't believe anything until he actually makes it onto the field for a regular season game. Even then, my expectations aren't high.

Last edited:

That's it...cut him (BB that is)....get his ass out of here right now ....bigfandan has spoken !!

In the Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview he was listed as 6'4.5", 255 when he was drafted. He wasn't always the weight he was later in his career.

100% correct. Willie got bigger in 1997-1998 under Carroll as he wanted him to play DE and got better with his health under BB.

Physical dimensions does not mean you can play football.

Example: Gholston (6'4" 260lbs) vs. Freeney (6'1" 265lbs)

During draft, they said Gholston looked like a monster with
massive arms. 1st round pick

During draft, they said Freeney does not have the size to play
DE. 1st round pick

Not sure where this is coming from.

Karen said that Crable had Willie Mac dimensions and she is flat-out wrong.

Crable has looked decent in preseason going up against 3rd stringers- thats it.

A brick wall? I don't think Crable can run through a high school banner that says, "GO PATRIOTS!" without breaking a few ribs. ;)

This is epic, Kontra. Epic. :singing:

Not sure where this is coming from.

Karen said that Crable had Willie Mac dimensions and she is flat-out wrong.

We can't be sure which dimension she was referring to. :eek:

Crable's put on five massive pounds in two years. What a ridiculous article.

If crable started out a 235 lbs at 12% bodyfat and he is now 245 lbs at 6-7% bodyfat he put on a lot more than 5 lbs of lean muscle.

10 lbs of lean muscle is a lot. If you don't think so, pile up 10 lbs of chicken breasts on your table.

In short, he could have made some pretty big gains over the last couple of years (for a seasoned weight lifter).

Here's the problem, it took until 2008 for the Pats to start drafting LB's within the first 3 rounds of the draft.

No, the problem is that Bruschi had a stroke, Colvin never fully recovered from his hip injury and AdT either didn't fit in the system or declined as a player. As I've pointed out before, the Patriots and Steelers have taken a similar approach to the linebacker position in terms of the draft. The major difference between the two groups has been health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back