PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable is ready, is he able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Crable is ready,is he able?

First, Guregian says he's "Willie McGinest massive". But when I read he's 6-5 245 pounds, I wanted to stop reading as it was a bad comparison. So basically he's lost mass in his upper body to make his lower body look bigger if he hasn't gained much muscle. In two years, he should've been able to add 20 pounds of muscle in his sleep considering the type of resources NFL players have available.

Here's the problem, it took until 2008 for the Pats to start drafting LB's within the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Wrong.

You have no clue how much muscle Crable gained. As I said in another post, if Crable started out at 240lbs @ 12% bodyfat and is now 245lbs @ 6-7% bf, he has gained a considerable amount of muscle. People think gaining sloppy weight is prudent for an athlete. Wrong again! Why would you want to add fat and water? You want to add lean muscle, and unless your a total novice who has never trained before, 20lbs of lean muscle (if you are not a drugs) is a huge amount of lean tissue to add over a couple years (especially if you have injuries that hinder heavy compound movements such as squats and deadlifts; which crable had).

It's pretty safe to say that Crable has spent a lot of time in weight rooms since highschool. After the initial "newbie" gains, muscle growth comes at about 2-5lb's of LEAN MASS per year for the typical weightlifter.

20 lbs of muscle in his sleep, lol. Go buy 20 lbs of chicken breasts and stack them on your table. That will give you an idea of how much mass that is.

Lastly, Crable is very tall. With his proportions, he could have 19 inch arms and still look "thin". He'd have to be 275+ to look as jacked as some of the shorter players, the guy is 6'5.

Last edited:
I propose that there be no new Crable threads until he plays in his 1st NFL game in the regular season. Treat him like Adam Seward. One thread until he plays for the Patriots in an actual game. This one will do.

Lastly, Crable is very tall. With his proportions, he could have 19 inch arms and still look "thin". He'd have to be 275+ to look as jacked as some of the shorter players, the guy is 6'5.

Or 270 lbs like McGinest.

He's 245.

Last edited:

Wrong.

You have no clue how much muscle Crable gained. As I said in another post, if Crable started out at 240lbs @ 12% bodyfat and is now 245lbs @ 6-7% bf, he has gained a considerable amount of muscle. People think gaining sloppy weight is prudent for an athlete. Wrong again! Why would you want to add fat and water? You want to add lean muscle, and unless your a total novice who has never trained before, 20lbs of lean muscle (if you are not a drugs) is a huge amount of lean tissue to add over a couple years (especially if you have injuries that hinder heavy compound movements such as squats and deadlifts; which crable had).

It's pretty safe to say that Crable has spent a lot of time in weight rooms since high school. After the initial "newbie" gains, muscle growth comes at about 2-5lb's of LEAN MASS per year for the typical weightlifter.

20 lbs of muscle in his sleep, lol. Go buy 20 lbs of chicken breasts and stack them on your table. That will give you an idea of how much mass that is.

Sorry buddy, but I'm not wrong. Anybody can add lean mass to their frame as long as they train right, eat healthy and take in the required number of calories. Even after your "newbie gains" you can put on as much weight as you want if you know what your doing.

No, the problem is that Bruschi had a stroke, Colvin never fully recovered from his hip injury and AdT either didn't fit in the system or declined as a player. As I've pointed out before, the Patriots and Steelers have taken a similar approach to the linebacker position in terms of the draft. The major difference between the two groups has been health.
You know players do age, right? Whether they stayed healthy, they still needed replacements.

Last edited:

As I've pointed out before, the Patriots and Steelers have taken a similar approach to the linebacker position in terms of the draft. The major difference between the two groups has been health.

Before 2008? Similar in what way?

Sorry buddy, but I'm not wrong. Anybody can add lean mass to their frame as long as they train right, eat healthy and take in the required number of calories. Even after your "newbie gains" you can put on as much weight as you want if you know what your doing.

You know players do age, right? Whether they stayed healthy, they still needed replacements.

Of course anyone can ad lean mass to their frame, but your outrageous claims of how quickly it can be done shows you know little to nothing about weight training, the human body and nutrition. If you knew what 20 lbs’s of lean chicken breast looked like, you’d understand how much mass that really is.

A person who is new to weight training can expect to gain a large amount of lean mass over the first few years. After the initial "shock" to your body, lean mass gains slow down considerably. Furthermore, you can't "add as much mass as you want”, because at a certain point, your muscle mass reaches its natural limit due to your body’s joint circumference, your genetics, strength and so on. Crable is an ectomorph (ie a hardgainer), so adding mass is that much more difficult for him. I’m sure you know what an ectomorph a mesomorph and a endomorph is, and how each body types reacts to weight training, correct?

You’re right about adding as much "weight" as you want, but adding bodyfat is counterproductive. If you’d like to educate yourself, use the internet to learn about muscle hypotrophy caused by weight training, and what kind of gains can be expected from a rigorous weight lifting program, based on heavy compound movements and an anabolic diet. It’d be good for you to learn what’s realistic and what’s not. BB.com is a good place for you to start.

If you think seasoned athletes who have been training for many years can add 20 lbs of lean mass year after year through just proper diet and exercise, I've got some wonderful beach front property in Cleveland I'd love to sell you. If you take the time to learn about building muscle, you'll learn that 2-7 lbs of lean mass is average for the typical bodybuilder (and that's someone who lives sleeps and breaths building muscle). Crable is a football player.

I can't wait, I'll be 300 lbs of rock solid muscle in 5 years if I keep training and eating right! 20lb of lean mass a year, like clockwork!!!

Last edited:

Of course anyone can ad lean mass to their frame, but your outrageous claims of how quickly it can be done shows you know little to nothing about weight training, the human body and nutrition. If you knew what 20 lbs’s of lean chicken breast looked like, you’d understand how much mass that really is.

A person who is new to weight training can expect to gain a large amount of lean mass over the first few years. After the initial "shock" to your body, lean mass gains slow down considerably. Furthermore, you can't "add as much mass as you want”, because at a certain point, your muscle mass reaches its natural limit due to your body’s joint circumference, your genetics, strength and so on. Crable is an ectomorph (ie a hardgainer), so adding mass is that much more difficult for him. I’m sure you know what an ectomorph a mesomorph and a endomorph is, and how each body types reacts to weight training, correct?

You’re right about adding as much "weight" as you want, but adding bodyfat is counterproductive. If you’d like to educate yourself, use the internet to learn about muscle hypotrophy caused by weight training, and what kind of gains can be expected from a rigorous weight lifting program, based on heavy compound movements and an anabolic diet. It’d be good for you to learn what’s realistic and what’s not. BB.com is a good place for you to start.

If you think seasoned athletes who have been training for many years can add 20 lbs of lean mass year after year through just proper diet and exercise, I've got some wonderful beach front property in Cleveland I'd love to sell you. If you take the time to learn about building muscle, you'll learn that 2-7 lbs of lean mass is average for the typical bodybuilder (and that's someone who lives sleeps and breaths building muscle). Crable is a football player.

I can't wait, I'll be 300 lbs of rock solid muscle in 5 years if I keep training and eating right! 20lb of lean mass a year, like clockwork!!!
What's funny is, you had to write a whole essay to get to the point when you could've summed that up into a paragraph. And bro, you can add 1 pound of lean muscle each week if you eat the right amount of calories and train correctly. BB. com is a good place for you to start. :rolleyes:

What Crable did to his body is an illusion as you should know this Mr. Expert Body Builder. When you lose body fat, it makes you look bigger than you really are. The same thing happened to me when I trained a few years ago as I gained little "mass" but lost quite a bit of body fat. At the time, I had no clue what I was doing. My friends kept complimenting me on how "big" I was, however, they didn't believe me when I told them my real weight. And I was an Ectomorph.

Don't know why you're getting so angry over Shawn Crable.

P.S. This thread is pretty ridiculous as were are arguing over Shawn Crable's training regimen.

Last edited:

No, actually, they didn't. Well, rather, they wouldn't have had the same level of need. Had the group been healthy, the team would have been drafting their replacements in 2008-2009 and everything would have been fine. Instead, the players couldn't progress through their careers normally, the replacements brought in to bridge the gap (Hobson, Lenon) failed, and the LB corps went to crap. We saw the same thing happen when Bruschi first went down and Johnson retired abruptly.

But how come you didn't reply to my response? :D

The answer to Ray was a one liner, so I got it out of the way first. Nothing insidious, I assure you.

No, actually, they didn't. Well, rather, they wouldn't have had the same level of need. Had the group been healthy, the team would have been drafting their replacements in 2008-2009 and everything would have been fine. Instead, the players couldn't progress through their careers normally, the replacements brought in to bridge the gap (Hobson, Lenon) failed, and the LB corps went to crap. We saw the same thing happen when Bruschi first went down and Johnson retired abruptly.
Don't know whether you saw my original post but never mind that. I get what you were saying, but the Pats should've started grooming replacements as their LB's were getting close to 30 or already over 30. It doesn't make much sense to draft replacements after your veterans are gone.

Last edited:

What's funny is, you had to write a whole essay to get to the point when you could've summed that up into a paragraph. And bro, you can add 1 pound of lean muscle each week if you eat the right amount of calories and train correctly. BB. com is a good place for you to start. :rolleyes:

What Crable did to his body is an illusion as you should know this Mr. Expert Body Builder. When you lose body fat, it makes you look bigger than you really are. The same thing happened to me when I trained a few years ago as I gained little "mass" but lost quite a bit of body fat. At the time, I had no clue what I was doing. My friends kept complimenting me on how "big" I was, however, they didn't believe me when I told them my real weight. And I was an Ectomorph.

Don't know why you're getting so angry over Shawn Crable.

P.S. This thread is pretty ridiculous as were are arguing over Shawn Crable's training regimen.

1 pound of lean mass per week for a seasoned weight lifter!!!! Ha-ha, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Btw, if you were an ectomorph you wouldnt be able to lose a lot of bodyfat, because pure ecto's store little to no bodyfat and are very lean. They have trouble putting on any weight at all. More evidence that you have no clue what you are talking about. Lastly, if you "were" an ecto...you still are an ecto (which youre not), because body comps are set for life...you cant change the way your muscles insert, how you metabolize foods and how your skeleton is set up (which dictates ecto, meso, endo - etc)...

We are not "arguing over Shawn Crable", I'm pointing out that you are talking out of your ass in regards to building lean mass.

Lastly, clearly you have no idea what I was talking about when I told you of being able to gain a lot of muscle mass (whch is what I suspect Crable did ) while gianing little to no scale weight. If Crable started at 240 and was 12% bf and is now 245 at 7% bodyfat , he has ADDED a lot of muscle. He replaced bodyfat with lean muscle, and his scale weight also increased. His top half didn't shrink, he added size to his legs, and if you look at 10lbs of lean chicken, that would be a large amount of muscle considering his injuries.

Last edited:

1 pound of lean mass per week for a seasoned weight lifter!!!! Ha-ha, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Btw, if you were an ectomorph you wouldnt be able to lose a lot of bodyfat, because pure ecto's store little to no bodyfat and are very lean. They have trouble putting on any weight at all. More evidence that you have no clue what you are talking about. Lastly, if you "were" not an ecto...you still are an ecto (which youre not), because body comps are for life...you cant change the way your muscles insert and how your skeleton is set up (which dictates ecto, meso, endo - etc).

We are not "arguing over Shawn Crable", I'm pointing out that you are talking out of your ass in regards to building lean mass.
I was 6'2'' 165 pounds and 15% body fat. I gained 10 pounds and my body went to 11%. I was extremely skinny. So I'm not an Ectomorph? Bro, go look up articles which they have all the time on BB.com explaining how to put on "10-20 pounds of muscle in weeks". You probably think their full of sh*t. People that have no clue what their doing or not very athletic (probably like you) b*tch and moan that "it can't be done". Actors and athletes do it all the time. Why don't you do some research.

Last edited:

I was 6'2'' 165 pounds and 15% body fat. I gained 10 pounds and my body went to 11%. I was extremely skinny. So I'm not an Ectomorph? Bro, go look up articles which they have all the time on BB.com explaining how to put on "10-20 pounds of muscle in weeks". You probably think their full of sh*t. People that have no clue what their doing or not very athletic (probably like you) b*tch and moan that "it can't be done". Actors and athletes do it all the time. Why don't you do some research.

You've missed every point I've made, and keep going back to the same nonsense. No one is saying people can't add a lot of lean mass quickly in certain situations.

I've been a competative bodybuilder for 10 years, and I know a thing or two about the human body and building muscle. Your comment about 20lbs of lean mass like clockwork (for a seasoned weightlifter) is insane and shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Keep training, you'll be 6'2 320 at 10% bf in 5 short years!

Nevermind.

Last edited:

You've missed every point I've made, and keep going back to the same nonsense. No one is saying people can't add a lot of lean mass quickly in certain situations.

I've been a competative bodybuilder for 10 years, and I know a thing or two about the human body and building muscle. Your comment about 20lbs of lean mass like clockwork (for a seasoned weightlifter) is insane and shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Keep training, you'll be 6'2 320 at 10% bf in 5 short years!

Nevermind.
Can't wait.

Last edited:

Don't know whether you saw my original post but never mind that. I get what you were saying, but the Pats should've started grooming replacements as their LB's were getting close to 30 or already over 30. It doesn't make much sense to draft replacements after your veterans are gone.

The issue isn't the draft, and it hasn't been about drafting linebacker in either Pittsburgh or New England for years (until 2007 for Pitt and 2008 for NE). Both teams Had a great linebacking corps and were pulling in players via free agency (Colvin, Farrior, Harrison). Unfortunately, Johnson, Bruschi and Colvin all had issues which shortened their careers from what they would otherwise have been and that, combined with better cap management (a/k/a the exploding salary cap) meant that the Vrabel's, Cox's and Pfifers of the world were not coming free to replenish the corps. As a result, both the Steelers and Patriots had to look to the draft. Pittsburgh looked first, in 2007, and the Patriots went that route beginning in 2008. Unfortunately, the decision to move Vrabel, the failings of Lenon and Hobson, and the decline of AdT, coupled with Brushi's retirement and injuries to Crable and McKenzie, made it impossible to transition smoothly, and we were fed the likes of Mr. Burgess as a result.

The question now is whether or not the new blood (Spikes, Cunningham, McKenzie, Mayo, Crable) can step up.

Last edited:

You and I went through this before.

That's why I'm surprised you brought it up, knowing the actual statistics are just a search away. Drafts are all numbers.

Isn't 245 a bit light for a 3-4 OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft