PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Denver game be flexed to Sunday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
A whole lot of money involved. Most likely would be the highest rated game of the regular season for either CBS or NBC.

Here's one more thing to throw into the mix: San Diego may not sell out their game against the Ravens, which means which ever network ends up with that game gets a blacked out SoCal television market, the second biggest television market in the US. Kind of a double whammy.

They are only 5,500 tickets short of a blackout. Hopefully someone buys up those tickets.

A whole lot of money involved. Most likely would be the highest rated game of the regular season for either CBS or NBC.

Here's one more thing to throw into the mix: San Diego may not sell out their game against the Ravens, which means which ever network ends up with that game gets a blacked out SoCal television market, the second biggest television market in the US. Kind of a double whammy.

I thought San Diego's market would not encompass LA's. SD's must be small in itself.

I thought San Diego's market would not encompass LA's. SD's must be small in itself.

I think you are right. NFL rules that primary markets have been to within 75 miles. SD and LA are around 120 miles apart. So LA would be considered a secondary market for the Chargers.

If our game doesn't get flexed mah FIST is gonna get flexed on Gooddell's FACE :eek:

I think you are right. NFL rules that primary markets have been to within 75 miles. SD and LA are around 120 miles apart. So LA would be considered a secondary market for the Chargers.

I believe LA is designated as a secondary market to San Diego, and subject to blackout rules. In addition LA's signal would extend within that 75-mile radius, causing the entire area to be blacked out. Perhaps someone living in LA can confirm or deny, but that's the impression I have been under.

The more I think about this though, the more I think the network suits are using this game as a bargaining tool for some other concessions. The ad time has all already been sold regardless of what game is broadcast. Ratings sweeps is over, so that's not a consideration. Next year's ad rates are based on the entire season's worth of games; for CBS in particular having or not having one game is not going to change that much at all considering they broadcast 120 games per season. Bargaining chip for the next contracts, and who will pay a little bit more or who will pay a little bit less, perhaps?

Last edited:
NFL Fail !
CBS Fail !
Bob Kraft Fail !

I believe LA is designated as a secondary market to San Diego, and subject to blackout rules. In addition LA's signal would extend within that 75-mile radius, causing the entire area to be blacked out. Perhaps someone living in LA can confirm or deny, but that's the impression I have been under.

LA is a secondary market for SD. the 75 mile radius is true for most markets, LA is one of the few exceptions since they haven't had a team in like 15 years. Last year a chargers game was blacked out in favor of a pats jets game here in Los Angeles and San Diego on CBS. I think it was the first game the pats and jets played each other that season.

If our game doesn't get flexed mah FIST is gonna get flexed on Gooddell's FACE :eek:

So you are looking forward to seeing the team get home Monday morning (local Eastern time), after a 5-6 hour flight where they lose an extra 3 hours to the time change?

On a short week with a game vs Miami on Saturday (one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now) to prepare for in FIVE days??

On Christmas week, nonetheless???

Patsy...you're killing me dude...no wonder Kraft is arguing against the game being flexed. It makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Easy there, Kraft is apparently fighting to keep the game on CBS.

Maybe this is time for Kraft to remind folks how he saved the season this summer.

Patriots and Broncos Await Flex Ruling

Patriots and Broncos Await Flex Ruling
By: Derek Havens

Over the past few days, CBS and NBC have been fighting over which will be able to air the Sunday Night Football week 15 match up. A decision on whether the New England Patriots at the Denver Broncos game on Dec. 18 will be moved to prime-time. ...

Easy there, Kraft is apparently fighting to keep the game on CBS.
As much as I don't want a night game NBC is well within their rights asking for this game.
CBS isn't within their rights seeking to get a second game protected.
Robert Kraft is not within his rights trying to help CBS accomplish this.
The NFL has failed since this matter should have been dealt with yesterday.

Re: Patriots and Broncos Await Flex Ruling

Yes from what I heard other day NFL extended deadline. Makes $ense to put on Pats/Broncos It's a better game & better $ell. We got flexed with colts so hopefully they'll put us on. It'll be great for me bein in NY not sure if I would have got AFC doubleheader on Sunday with Jets playing at 1pm also.

As much as I don't want a night game NBC is well within their rights asking for this game.
CBS isn't within their rights seeking to get a second game protected.

Robert Kraft is not within his rights trying to help CBS accomplish this.
The NFL has failed since this matter should have been dealt with yesterday.
I'm not so sure that if those are factual statements. If they were, there likely would not be this delay; if that was the way the system worked then it would simply be NBC's decision, not the NFL's.

From what I have read for a game to be flexed, it has to be deemed an uncompetitive game; a 'bad' game, if you will. San Diego is a battling for the division lead or a wildcard spot; a win or loss could catapult the Ravens to the #1 seed or drop them to #5. On top of that both teams have plenty of well known names to draw an audience; 'star power' if you will. Obviously not as big a marketing draw as Pats-Tebow, but it's not as bad as many other matchups.

Apparently the procedure for flexing a game is not as simple as NBC picking and choosing the best non-protected game. Going forward the NFL probably needs to make the protocols and procedures for flexing a game clearer, in order to avoid this confusion. Without those specific definitions it is no wonder both networks are fighting for this game.

When the NFL moved the Lions-Saints to NBC last week, they 'reimbursed' Fox by moving the Broncos-Vikings game from CBS to Fox. Now that they have set that precedent the NFL has opened up a can of worms; now every time a game is flexed a network is going to look for some similar kind of payback - and the price for giving up the Pats-Broncos game is probably higher than that of any other game.

If there is any blame to be had, then the finger pointing should be at the NFL for having ambiguous rules and procedures when it comes to flexing a game.

Last edited:
Apparently the procedure for flexing a game is not as simple as NBC picking and choosing the best non-protected game. Going forward the NFL probably needs to make the protocols and procedures for flexing a game clearer, in order to avoid this confusion. Without those specific definitions it is no wonder both networks are fighting for this game.
Thanks to Uncle Rico we already have this info.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...me-flexed-sunday-night-page5.html#post2822949

Flexible scheduling will ensure quality matchups in all Sunday time slots in those weeks and give "surprise" teams a chance to play their way into primetime.
The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce as early as possible the game being played at 8:15 p.m. ET. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the game. The NFL may also announce games moving to 4:05 p.m. ET and 4:15 p.m. ET.
NFL schedules all games.
NFL Flexible Scheduling

I think CBS is being very greedy here.
Kraft is wasting a lot of cred on a very minor issue.
I hope we get an inside take on this once it is decided.

I don't think CBS is being anymore greedy than anyone else. The entire issue is money, so it seems silly to harp on one side. Do you think NBC wants the Pats-Broncos game out of altruism? CBS messed up protecting the wrong game, but who can blame them for trying to try and correct that.

Last edited:
Thanks to Uncle Rico we already have this info.
I realize what the public NFL statement on flex scheduling is. What I was referring to was that it was rather ambiguous in terms of when a game would or would not be flexed. The fact that the three sides are still talking about it tells me that there are not any clearly defined internal guidelines.

Again, flex scheduling is not quite as cut and dried as NBC selecting whatever they deem to be the best game which has not been protected for their Sunday night broadcast; that's simply not how flex scheduling works.

The NFL decides after consulting with all three networks - not just NBC.

Robert Kraft works as the chairman of the NFL's broadcast committee. It is in his, and the NFL's best interests to attempt to keep all parties involved informed and agreeable to whatever is worked out. If anything it could be argued that it would be irresponsible for him to not be involved.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that information.

Last edited:
So when is the deadline? Is it safe to say that since we have not heard anything yet that the game will remain a 4:15 game?

After all, the Colts-Pats game being flexed OUT was announced weeks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST