PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Denver game be flexed to Sunday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallfamebrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
With Tebow time gaining steam and the Pats playing well, I would think the Pats / Broncos game has a good chance of being flexed to Sunday night the week of 12/18. The scheduled game that night is Ravens / Chargers and most of the games that week lack appeal. The Steelers / Niners is already scheduled for Monday night.

The Pats have already lost out on one Sunday night game with the Colts being horrible.

Thoughts.

Unfortunately, I'd consider that a lock.

If Denver keeps winning it very well could be flexed to Sunday Night. I'd prefer it didn't though. Mile High is already a tough place to play, then add the atmosphere of a primetime game....I'm good with 4:15.

I hope not. I can't stand the Sunday night games. They start so late.

I would say yes, TV loves Tebow.
It will also be the night that Tebow ask God for the win and God responds
"Look, I have done miracles for a infinity, and created the universe , but no one can make you win this game"

Last edited:
9-3 Patriots @ 7-5 Broncos

Brady vs. Tebow

Probably.

great idea. Tebow vs. Brady would make for good TV. Both players are complete opposites, but they're both winners. and winners = ratings

great idea. Tebow vs. Brady would make for good TV. Both players are complete opposites, but they're both winners. and winners = ratings

You can say that again. Tebow doesn't know how to throw the ball, and Brady can't run.

If CBS hasn't used their one hold on a game, then the Denver/Pats game will be it.. I don't think it will be flexed..

Last edited:
If CBS hasn't used their one hold on a game, then the Denver/Pats game will be it.. I don't think it will be flexed..

Yeah, and the Ravens/Chargers game (the Sunday night game that day) still have playoff implications. NBC might not push for the Pats/Broncos game if there is another game that they want to steal from CBS another week where they might have a game with no playoff implications.

You can say that again. Tebow doesn't know how to throw the ball, and Brady can't run.

I finished brewing a pot of coffee in the time it took Brady to scramble 10 yards.

Off the top of my head I'm not positive about the protocols of the daytime networks (such as CBS in this case) being able to 'protect' a game, but if I'm not mistaken they usually get to keep one game from being flexed each week. The Pats-Broncos would certainly be the premier late afternoon game for CBS, and they own the doubleheader that week.

I guess it would come down to how much influence the NFL - who supposedly has the final say in these decisions - has over CBS. Boston and Denver are much bigger television markets than Baltimore and San Diego, and both have bigger fan bases. That would appeal to the NFL and NBC to move the Pats game to prime time, but at the same time that is also why CBS would be reluctant to give this game up.

The other thing to consider is that the NFL might try to convince CBS that the Eagles -Jets game would give them comparable ratings, as those are two of the largest television markets in the US - plus they would get the Baltimore - San Diego game back in return as an alternative.

If I had to guess right now then I would say CBS holds on to the Pats - Broncos game, and it does not get flexed to Sunday night. However, if the Chargers lose at Jacksonville? Look for a change.

9-3 Patriots @ 7-5 Broncos

Brady vs. Tebow

Probably.

Hopefully N.England is 10-3 at that point, having Indy and Washington in the prior weeks before.

Denver however, has Minnesota and Chicago, so they may be closer to 7-6.

Your point remains the same though, as Denver's newfound playoff hope would certainly add to the drama.

Consider me one who does not think it gets flexed though.

The league and networks have to see the potential for that game turning into a blowout. I could see Detroit v. Oakland getting the treatment instead.

Off the top of my head I'm not positive about the protocols of the daytime networks (such as CBS in this case) being able to 'protect' a game, but if I'm not mistaken they usually get to keep one game from being flexed each week. The Pats-Broncos would certainly be the premier late afternoon game for CBS, and they own the doubleheader that week.

IIRC, they get to protect five games each, with a *maximum* of one game per week.

Moreover, the list of protected games was due a while ago, so they no longer have the choice.

I hate Sunday/Monday nite games.. Sunday afternoon is the right time.

I hope it doesn't get flexed as it's one of the only sunday nights I have to work this year.

I hope it does get flexed because I'll be in Florider south of Tamper then and would like to watch it at home

The league and networks have to see the potential for that game turning into a blowout. I could see Detroit v. Oakland getting the treatment instead.

Have to strongly disagree. Blowout potential or no, Detroit v. Oakland just doesn't sound like must-see viewing for a national audience. Brady and Tebow are two of the league's best marquee names right now, making this game a cinch to promote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes