PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Denver game be flexed to Sunday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a few reports, the problem is not that NBC does not want the game (it does want the game very much), the problem is that CBS is reportedly not wanting to let go of that game without a fight.

I thought the game wasn't protected?
Link to that report?

The Pats-Broncos game is not protected; CBS went with the Jets-Eagles back when they had to make that decision.

The discussion most likely is about the parameters in regards to flexing a game out. The guidelines are essentially that the Sunday night game has to be 'bad', not simply that another game is better. Baltimore at San Diego technically does not qualify for a 'bad' game - especially after the Chargers won easily last night - so it is not a given that the Pats-Broncos game will be moved.

On the other hand, if the game is not flexed the consider this: Pats-Tebows will not be seen in New York City (or Philadelphia). Those are two very big television markets that would get shut out from what will surely be a very hyped game. That's something the NFL most likely would prefer to avoid. I doubt they would move the Jets game to 1:00 because the Giants are playing then - which would mean by their own rules, the Jets would be blacked out in NYC.

Last edited:

From the team standpoint, it may make more sense for players not acclimated to the thin air to play earlier, when it is not as cold. More importantly the team gets to leave earlier and arrive home earlier for what is already gone to be a short week to heal up, plan and practice for the next game.

I'm just speculating here but Kraft works on the NFL's television committee; perhaps CBS appealed to him to lobby within the league offices for them to keep the game?

It will get flexed for a national audience focused on a passion play. This is the ultimate good versus evil game.

Tim Tebow the Righteous One vs the Dark Hooded Lord Bill Belichick.

Spygate vs the path of all that is good.

The "Football Night In America" talking heads will flog this game like Herman Cain blaming the media for ruining his 13-year affair. Tony Dungy's eyes will bug out of his head as he dumps on Belichick for cheating and weeps over Tim Tebow's virginity. Peter King will go on and on about the Patriots defense being perfect for Tebow's breakout night passing the football. The story lines are endless!

Then the game will start.

The Pats will dork around and get a 10-7 halftime lead. This messageboard will go insane.

Brady will come out in the second half in the no huddle, tack three scores on the board to get up 31-10 and Tebow will score two late rushing touchdowns to cover the spread.

We'll start seething threads about the Patriots defense even though the Patriots clinch the division that night at 11-3.

Last edited:
I hope NBC wins! Otherwise I am prob stuck with seeing a NJ team play instead.

I thought the game wasn't protected?
Link to that report?

Right, they can only protect one. They're probably hoping for a favor after giving up Denver/Minn to FOX.

Still no news, amazing.
This is clearly a "more compelling" game nationwide.
I wonder if CBS is trying to shake down NBC for a game next year ?
Like maybe Colts@Patriots at 4:15PM instead of on NBC.

Still no news, amazing.
This is clearly a "more compelling" game nationwide.
I wonder if CBS is trying to shake down NBC for a game next year ?
Like maybe Colts@Patriots at 4:15PM instead of on NBC.

Chad Finn, the Globe's guy on Sports media, tweets:

"NFL plans to stick to the midnight deadline to make the call on flexing Pats-Broncos. "

And ...

"Keep in mind that Robert Kraft is the chairman of the NFL's broadcast committee. Does not want perception that he favors CBS over NBC."

Wonder if this is the most drama there's ever been over a potential flex, or if it just seems that way because we're following it here.

The fight over the likely 10-3 Patriots @ 8-5 Broncos must be intense.

It will get flexed for a national audience focused on a passion play. This is the ultimate good versus evil game.

The "Football Night In America" talking heads will flog this game like Herman Cain blaming the media for ruining his 13-year affair. Tony Dungy's eyes will bug out of his head as he dumps on Belichick for cheating and weeps over Tim Tebow's virginity. Peter King will go on and on about the Patriots defense being perfect for Tebow's breakout night passing the football. The story lines are endless!

The Pats will dork around and get a 10-7 halftime lead. This messageboard will go insane.

Brady will come out in the second half in the no huddle, tack three scores on the board to get up 31-10 and Tebow will score two late rushing touchdowns to cover the spread.

We'll start seething threads about the Patriots defense even though the Patriots clinch the division that night at 11-3.

Can I borrow your time machine?

You kidding me?

The league will not make a decision on whether it will flex #Ravens-Chargers tonight. Decision expected tomorrow morning​

Per Official Ravens Team twitter account

Last edited:
You kidding me?

The league will not make a decision on whether it will flex #Ravens-Chargers tonight. Decision expected tomorrow morning​

I could have sworn there was a rule that said the teams would get 13 days to prepare, or something like that, forcing the NFL to announce tonight.

I could have sworn there was a rule that said the teams would get 13 days to prepare, or something like that, forcing the NFL to announce tonight.

There is. It is 12 days according to the NFL's rules.

NFL Flexible Scheduling

"The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce as early as possible the game being played at 8:15 p.m. ET. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the game. The NFL may also announce games moving to 4:05 p.m. ET and 4:15 p.m. ET"

I believe it's actually 12 days, so they've already cast that aside, presumably.

Do the Patriots win the Super Bowl?

:D

NFL Communications - Week 15 flexible scheduling «

Due to NFL Committee Meetings in New York today, the Week 15 flexible schedule announcement will be released tomorrow (Wednesday, December 7). All of the clubs under consideration to have Week 15 games flexed have informed our office that they are interested in the strongest schedule for our fans and network partners.​

Yeah, the delay was due because they had other meetings ... riiiiiiight.

Damn. Must be some fight between NBC and CBS for that game for the deadline to be extended.

A whole lot of money involved. Most likely would be the highest rated game of the regular season for either CBS or NBC.

Here's one more thing to throw into the mix: San Diego may not sell out their game against the Ravens, which means which ever network ends up with that game gets a blacked out SoCal television market, the second biggest television market in the US. Kind of a double whammy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye