PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cool Patriots Logo Redesign

I doubt they ever get rid of the Flying Elvis. You look at all the logos across the league and they are simple images with a few solid colors that just wasn't all that busy. Pat the Patriot was always a bit of a convoluted assymetrical design that doesn't work as well on a helmet logo. It's not very marketing friendly, which is the point of a logo.

Even this one, which takes some modern concepts would look completely out of place next to all the current NFL logos. Might be a cool secondary logo you put on some sweaters or something. But it's not something easy to register on a helmet or a game jersey.

The redesign there is emotionless, like Elvis.
and lifeless, and classless
What Pat has going for him is that he has a 'happy to kick your ass' look on his face.
and

happy to be here

happy to play football

happy to be in and represent New England

happy to be alive

happy to root for the Patriots

happy
'happy to kick your ass'
Which the Patriots did much more often than not their first three decades; except local media magnified and emphasized the losses and organizational and management errors while ignoring (to this day) all the ass-kickings the Patriots inflicted upon their opponents
Perpetrated by Orthwein who had only contempt for the franchise he paid to save just to move to his hometown of St. Louis
I’m the only Pats fan in my family (live in Vancouver) and was watching the Sunday night retro game with my brothers at my Dads place. My bro commented how nice the old red uni’s looked and even my 86 year old Dad mentioned that they are one of the best ever. Neither of them like the Pats.
And their opinion is shared by the vast majority of the rest of the world
I personally prefer Pat Patriot over Flying Elvis, but at this point the Flying Elvis is iconic.
Except it's not, as no amount of Super Bowls proves. Flying elvis represents: Propaganda that the Patriots were doormats for thirty years, so worthless that they had to commit identity suicide; that it's acceptable to belittle and dismiss and ignore any Patriots victory, and that the team is somehow less worthy or legitimate than any other on the football field; false cheating allegations, fabricated evidence, infliction of tangible unfair competitive disadvantages including but limited to three stolen top draft picks, suspending the innocent best player arguably ever for the same number of games as a guy who nearly murdered a woman; and ultimately the total disrespect that it warrants aesthetically.
It’s what polluted their helmets as they terrorized the league for 20 years.
fify; opponents got to say, "Well, we lost but they still look stupid."
Changing it would save the brand.
fify; Why are the Raiders, Colts, Packers, Bears, 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Chiefs and Giants considered legendary, iconic football franchises?

Look at what they're wearing.

That is because of the tremendous success the team has had since the logo was adopted.
Actually the team wasn't as consistently good after 1992 as it was the three first decades. Brady himself, like practically every other player and fan and the sighted overwhelmingly prefers the real logo and uniform.

Pretending the Patriots did not win all those games with all those great players is a media tool to dramatize the success this century, which does not need it. The false laughingstock narrative just makes a good story. With reprehensible, evil consequences, disastrous to the team's legacy.

Unfortunately, Robert Kraft admits that he 'fell in love' with the flying elvis (and Drew Bledsoe). He's blind to any reality which exposes them.

Any person can be really, really, really, really bad at a particular thing, or completely blind to something which is totally obvious to most of the world.

For Robert Kraft, it's team logos.

I'll just remind everyone that the flying elvis is the disgusting, insulting, nauseating image of a sick, sad, diseased, decaying corpse of a traitorous loyalist.

The star represents the hole left after Pat Patriot shot him in the head.

oz5oeuioipbck06r5yt3.png

Pretending the Patriots did not win all those games with all those great players is a media tool to dramatize the success this century, which does not need it. The false laughingstock narrative just makes a good story. With reprehensible, evil consequences, disastrous to the team's legacy.
I am old enough to have lived through most of the teams history. I agree that the team had some historical success and was a pioneer in forming the AFL. There were also historically bad teams. Through it all the team was a second rate operation, run on a shoe string budget until it was purchased by Orthwein with the plan to move to St. Louis. There was a lot of crazy stuff that happened from Sullivan getting hit in the head by Matt Millen, the Patriot missel, Sullivan Stadium, cocaine, Chuck Fairbanks, the attempted move to St Louis, etc. that established the laughing stock narrative. When Kraft took over the team was in need of rebranding. The Elvis logo has gotten stale, going back to Pat now would be great now that the historical baggage has been neutralized by winning 6 super bowls.

I like it, I would be on board. Usually
hate these logo and uniform talks, because we always have a section in the fan base unwilling to change.

I like this logo and I like the uniforms they wear now. All of it looks stylish to me.
1) Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

2) Joseph DeMaistre, one of my favorite political philosophers, wrote an essay on the inadvisability of changing the names of things and ideas, by implication on the inadvisability of change generally. Most of his writings were devoted to his undying hatred of the French Revolution and of the Enlightenment generally. I first read the essay in 1972. I have been unable to find a copy since, but I have though of it many times over the years. One of his points was, as I recall, that when you change things, you substitute for a felt, meaningful relationship with a thing or idea over time a bloodless, deracinated, rationalistic new relationship, one informed not by felt experience over time but generally by some sort of ideological agenda or - worse, as here - you change merely for change's sake, driven by the the sort of petulant and resentful insistence in having one's say we see in two-year-olds. I'd love to find a copy of this essay, by the way. Here's a photo, for the visual learners, of the adorable curmudgeon:

UPDATE: I found it. The "essay" is actually part of his Essay on the Generative Principle of Political Constitutions and other Human Institutions. I guess the cheap little paperback version I read originally just carved it out of the whole and called it an "Essay." Anyway, now I can reread it and see if my recollections are right or wrong. I(f they are wrong, I may or may not change them, heh.

iu

3) Edit: "Usually hate these logo and uniform talks, because we always have a section in the fan base with childish inclination to change for change's sake."

4) Some change is good; some is not. To say that change is good in and of itself is foolish.

5) Sometimes change is good, of course, as when one is burdened with an incompetent GM.

6) "Stylish"? Oh dear.

Last edited:
I like the concept, but I would eliminate some of the little design features and make it simpler. No NE map, no star.

you change merely for change's sake, driven by the the sort of petulant and resentful insistence in having one's say we see in two-year-olds.
Yes.

Orthwein was obviously driven by disdain of the franchise he bailed out only because he wanted one in his hometown; for me it's akin to randomly and casually replacing the American flag with some abomination to satisfy our enemies, using the lame and false excuse that red is the color of the Redcoats. Also insulting to every American veteran who fought and sacrificed under it. People can say that sports teams are not on that level of significance; but the analogy sticks and a long established sports team, with some actual success but lacking a title, says this by destroying their iconic great look and replacing it with something hideous: "Yup, we do in fact suck, we always sucked, you people are all right and we cave to your disgusting opinion of us."

I agree that the team had some historical success and was a pioneer in forming the AFL.
In 5 of the 10 AFL seasons the Patriots were right in championship contention, just shy.
There were also historically bad teams.
1970. 1972. 1981. 1990.

The '81 team is the greatest 2-14 team in history. Anyway, most other franchises have many times that number of bad years.
Through it all the team was a second rate operation, run on a shoe string budget
There was a lot of crazy stuff that happened from Sullivan
But mostly came with the territory of a small budget operation; most of the stories are actually endearing and humorous - but portrayed by local media as embarrassing and humiliating.
the Patriot missel
Kiam was terrible. He still could have had a winning team if he'd only kept Flutie. Parcells could have really ruled if he inherited Doug - unless Kraft screwed that up.
Media took a genuine concern initiated by Berry, who among other things pointed out the fact that the Patriots used recreational drugs among the least of the teams in the NFL, and twisted it into a scandal putting the Patriots at the top of depravity. More manufactured laughingstock material. They were anxious anyway to compensate for the Super Bowl appearance.
Chuck Fairbanks
Like with Parcells, no attention to all he did here, just how he left, in both cases with little or no attention to what the respective owners did to drive them away.
that established the FALSE laughing stock narrative
fify. The Patriots win all those games and things don't work out for them to win it all - in 1976 to no fault at all of their own - and the media conveniently ignores the fact there are 30 other worse teams who did not make it that far.
When Kraft took over the team was in need of rebranding.
Only to those with contempt and hatred of the franchise: Media, the league, opponents and their fans - and local N.E. sports 'fans' who buy into the nonsensical drivel puked out by media denigrating the home team. Orthwein employed his marketing 'knowledge' to perpetrate the makeover, only a month after hiring Parcells who was 100% against it.

Kraft inherited it and obviously LOVES the flying elvis. He says the fans of New England spent forty years waiting for a championship. No, they spent forty years following and rooting for our home team, hoping for success like any fan base but loving our great players and celebrating all the huge wins, which outnumbered the unhappy losses.
now that the historical baggage has been neutralized by winning 6 super bowls.
No, it's been emphasized, reinforced - and used to support unprecedented false cheating accusations, fake scandals and actual punishments inflicted by the league. Now, Robert Kraft did not initiate this - he had nothing to do with that cringe-inducing ridiculous video made prior to Super Bowl XX - but he has perpetuated, and, unfortunately, strengthened it.

Yes.

Orthwein was obviously driven by disdain of the franchise he bailed out only because he wanted one in his hometown; for me it's akin to randomly and casually replacing the American flag with some abomination to satisfy our enemies, using the lame and false excuse that red is the color of the Redcoats. Also insulting to every American veteran who fought and sacrificed under it. People can say that sports teams are not on that level of significance; but the analogy sticks and a long established sports team, with some actual success but lacking a title, says this by destroying their iconic great look and replacing it with something hideous: "Yup, we do in fact suck, we always sucked, you people are all right and we cave to your disgusting opinion of us."
Reminds me of how ugly late Roman sculpture was, as if they were avoiding beauty as old fashioned.

Or of:

Little by little we subtract
Faith and Fallacy from Fact,
The Illusory from the True,
And starve upon the Residue.

- S. Hoffenstein

iu

iu

In 5 of the 10 AFL seasons the Patriots were right in championship contention, just shy.

1970. 1972. 1981. 1990.

The '81 team is the greatest 2-14 team in history. Anyway, most other franchises have many times that number of bad years.

But mostly came with the territory of a small budget operation; most of the stories are actually endearing and humorous - but portrayed by local media as embarrassing and humiliating.

Kiam was terrible. He still could have had a winning team if he'd only kept Flutie. Parcells could have really ruled if he inherited Doug - unless Kraft screwed that up.

Media took a genuine concern initiated by Berry, who among other things pointed out the fact that the Patriots used recreational drugs among the least of the teams in the NFL, and twisted it into a scandal putting the Patriots at the top of depravity. More manufactured laughingstock material. They were anxious anyway to compensate for the Super Bowl appearance.

Like with Parcells, no attention to all he did here, just how he left, in both cases with little or no attention to what the respective owners did to drive them away.

fify. The Patriots win all those games and things don't work out for them to win it all - in 1976 to no fault at all of their own - and the media conveniently ignores the fact there are 30 other worse teams who did not make it that far.

Only to those with contempt and hatred of the franchise: Media, the league, opponents and their fans - and local N.E. sports 'fans' who buy into the nonsensical drivel puked out by media denigrating the home team. Orthwein employed his marketing 'knowledge' to perpetrate the makeover, only a month after hiring Parcells who was 100% against it.

Kraft inherited it and obviously LOVES the flying elvis. He says the fans of New England spent forty years waiting for a championship. No, they spent forty years following and rooting for our home team, hoping for success like any fan base but loving our great players and celebrating all the huge wins, which outnumbered the unhappy losses.

No, it's been emphasized, reinforced - and used to support unprecedented false cheating accusations, fake scandals and actual punishments inflicted by the league. Now, Robert Kraft did not initiate this - he had nothing to do with that cringe-inducing ridiculous video made prior to Super Bowl XX - but he has perpetuated, and, unfortunately, strengthened it.
You sir are a fan of the greatest team in NFL history. No need to be sensitive to what others think.

You sir are a fan of the greatest team in NFL history. No need to be sensitive to what others think.
Not sensitivity or emotion.

Facts. Three (3) stolen top draft picks. Serious beliefs and assertions from the world including politicians that the team's record and accomplishments be rescinded and/or erased. Basically stuff other teams, especially the 1976 Raiders, are in fact deserving of.

The Brady suspension and team punishments for DefameGate and CryGate are real and treated as fact everywhere including Wikipedia.

We will never see:

A Football Life: Gino Cappelletti
A Football Life: Houston Antwine
A Football Life: Jim Plunkett
A Football Life: John Hannah
A Football Life: Julius Adams
A Football Life: Steve Grogan
A Football Life: Andre Tippett
A Football Life: Russ Francis
Stolen Rings: The 1976 Oakland Raiders
The Timeline: Patriots At Raiders 1976-1978
A Football Life: Bucko Kilroy
A Football Life: Chuck Fairbanks
A Football Life: Dante Scarnecchia
30 For 30: The Mystery Man

Yup, you know who this is about

Very few people know that Ernie is one of the handful of experts on Earth in ancient Latin

Not sensitivity or emotion.

Facts. Three (3) stolen top draft picks. Serious beliefs and assertions from the world including politicians that the team's record and accomplishments be rescinded and/or erased. Basically stuff other teams, especially the 1976 Raiders, are in fact deserving of.

The Brady suspension and team punishments for DefameGate and CryGate are real and treated as fact everywhere including Wikipedia.

We will never see:

A Football Life: Gino Cappelletti
A Football Life: Houston Antwine
A Football Life: Jim Plunkett
A Football Life: John Hannah
A Football Life: Julius Adams
A Football Life: Steve Grogan
A Football Life: Andre Tippett
A Football Life: Russ Francis
Stolen Rings: The 1976 Oakland Raiders
The Timeline: Patriots At Raiders 1976-1978
A Football Life: Bucko Kilroy
A Football Life: Chuck Fairbanks
A Football Life: Dante Scarnecchia
30 For 30: The Mystery Man

Yup, you know who this is about

Very few people know that Ernie is one of the handful of experts on Earth in ancient Latin
FWIW, anger is an emotion. I agree that the teams history includes many great players and a history of on field achievement, especially the 6 super bowls won flying the Elvis flag. At the end of the day the most important thing is to be a fan of an interesting team. The Pats have a very colorful history and many of the players on your list have gotten historical attention. The fact that a team reached a point where a rebrand was warranted is not a dark stain on the Pats history. Time for another re-set, bring back Pat.

Would like to see a red jersey / blue sock version.
And the shade of blue is too dark. Maybe add some shine to a softer shade

The Pats really need to update their look. The logo is looking dated and their uniforms are top 5 worst in the NFL.

Older fans were probably pissed when they changed their uniforms in the 90’s and I was pissed even they changed their uniforms in 2000. Then again in 2020. Bob seems to be doing this stuff for no reason.
There ha$ to be $ome rea$on for tho$e logo change$. Care to gue$$?

FWIW, anger is an emotion.
Yeah, I try not to be consumed by it.

I'm not very successful.
At the end of the day the most important thing is to be a fan of an interesting team.
And the Pats have arguably been at the top for a half century
The Pats have a very colorful history and many of the players on your list have gotten historical attention.
Not nearly enough attention, and only a small percentage of the great players.
The fact that a team reached a point where a rebrand was warranted
'warranted'=how things are perceived and portrayed by media, league, opponents and nonsports fans who hear B.S. and believe it.

Kraft is typical of owners who take bad publicity very seriously, even personally. And they then try to 'fix' it but end up making things much worse.

There have been quarter-century long droughts for the Packers, Raiders, Cowboys, et al. and they haven't rebranded. Smartly. And effectively.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm having a sip of New Coke.

There ha$ to be $ome rea$on for tho$e logo change$. Care to gue$$?
Probably. However, it would be interesting to find out how much merchandise is purchased with the flying Elvis and the Pat Patriot? The Pat Patriot looks way better on hats, T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. than the flying Elvis. I only buy retro Pats stuff.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back