PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Claridge, Harrison, Dillon, Light, Koppen.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
........G. Scott, C. Scott, Sanders, Graham, Randall Gay, ...................

These are the players (if I missed any, feel free to add) that at the end of last year, were either playing injured or were on IR. I think 8 of the above were on outright IR, and 5 of them had been starters.

I highly doubt there is any other team in the league that is going to have this kind of influx of talent. Even if you just count the IR guys, this has got to be significant. (I will let somebody else mention Rech Caldwell and Eric Warfield being added to the mix. Also, if somebody else could mention the drastically improved special teams, the 10 draft picks, and the 15 undrafted free agents, I would appreciate it.:))

We all will hear, 147 more times before the season starts, at how the Patriots lost McGinist, Adam V., and Givens. But we'll will hear very little about these players all (hopefully) coming back healthy. Am I the only one here who thinks this is HUGE????

Even if Harrison comes back starting say game 5. The Patriots are being overlooked again, and I'm liking it.

This post has no value whatsoever, except to say, the future is so bright, I gotta wear shades. Let those who neglect the hurt players that will be coming back, beware!!!:)

Yes, each of these could be a major contributer as each comes back hopefully at 100% of their former self. The dark side is they may not. And the open question is when. We will very likely have players on the roster in the beginning of the season that will not play much, or not play at their former levels. ANd, there is no way to know now who's who.

For example, Colvin now finally plays without pain, and is a solid, albeit expensive, starting linebacaker. But he is but a ghost of his former self. He is not be confused with the probowl quality linebackers Vrabel and Bruschi or with McGinist. Looking back, no one would now take him at the compensation we did. Looking forward, we will need to, at some point, match his compensation to his production.

And as everyone has pointed out, there will e 2006 injuries. So, for starters, those coming back from IR need to add more than 2006 losses subtract, just to break even.

mgteich said:
Yes, each of these could be a major contributer as each comes back hopefully at 100% of their former self. The dark side is they may not. And the open question is when. We will very likely have players on the roster in the beginning of the season that will not play much, or not play at their former levels. ANd, there is no way to know now who's who.

For example, Colvin now finally plays without pain, and is a solid, albeit expensive, starting linebacaker. But he is but a ghost of his former self. He is not be confused with the probowl quality linebackers Vrabel and Bruschi or with McGinist. Looking back, no one would now take him at the compensation we did. Looking forward, we will need to, at some point, match his compensation to his production.

And as everyone has pointed out, there will e 2006 injuries. So, for starters, those coming back from IR need to add more than 2006 losses subtract, just to break even.
What were you watching Tech? Colvin is starting to play at a high level. Disagree totally with your assessment, and I wasn't ever even Pro-Colvin. Watching him play last year told me I was previously wrong about him.

As for what players may or maynot come back. Who besides Harrison is iffy? they are all coming back, except for the unkown with Harrison.

Rather negative aren't you? Sure, perhaps I'm rather positive, but I think there is more reason to be positive than negative. Thanks for your comments.

mgteich said:

Um, come again? Colvin was playing at a very high level, especially during the second half of the season last year.

Colvin is now playing on a high level, but not a probowl level. And perhaps you believe that Colvin has been worth over $4M a year so far. I don't. The capm hits for Colvin for 2006-2008 are $5.5M, $6.4M and $7.3M. Do you think we will get this kind of production for the last three years of his contract. He will stay the length of the contract, because the numerous restructurings, Colvin is not worthy of the #2 highest cap on the team.

And yes, it great to disagree.

Yes I agree we are getting a considerable amount of talent back from the IR, with or without Harrison. However I find it very hard to imagine us going thorugh next season without losing some more key people. In 2003 I would have thought that the IR list from one season to the next kind of evens out. But these last two years have made me reconsider that position, especially as it relates to DB's.

the whole colvin thing---uncharacteristic of BB/SP

mgteich said:
Colvin is now playing on a high level, but not a probowl level. And perhaps you believe that Colvin has been worth over $4M a year so far. I don't. The capm hits for Colvin for 2006-2008 are $5.5M, $6.4M and $7.3M. Do you think we will get this kind of production for the last three years of his contract. He will stay the length of the contract, because the numerous restructurings, Colvin is not worthy of the #2 highest cap on the team.
And yes, it great to disagree.
teich, i have colvin's 2005 cap hit at $2.73 million (miguel of course /www.patscap.com/2005capinfo.html).
one day, his cap hit is higher than anyone else's 'cept brady, seymour, vrabel, and light colvin's contract is gonna go the same way as those of milloy and law. that big cap hit is gonna be pushed back, and back, till the contract's final year. then the player has a choice: give back a good portion of the money agreed to in the original contract, or be cut.
who knows the result. to me, tho, this is different from the law/milloy/mcginest multiyear deals. those were contracts entered into by pete carroll/kraft. BB/SP didn't "own" those deals--they're not the ones who signed their names on it, so to speak.
colvin's deal will be the 1st one where BB/SP are up against an unacceptable last-year figure in an contract of THEIR OWN.
the deal seemed expensive to me the day they made it. but IMO it was a signal to the fans that the franchise was serious about winning, willing to spend money to get players. what happened with colvin is THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DEEEAL for nfl players. he's been injured and he obviously won't play up to a level that was expected when he signed. seymour and the twig have, of course, played far above the expected standard when they were signed.
i think rosy will have a monster season. if he don't get hurt. but IMHO BB/SP are not gonna pay that year=end figure. and we'll see if it gets worked out.
i really hope it will. we'll see.
the texans are probably all aquiver at the thought of bringing him, and his contract, to houston.

Last edited:
I'm most interested in Dillon out of any of the names. Harrison being the second most. But I thought Corey was getting back to his normal self, slowly towards the end of the season, but it was noticable enough for me. Uninjured, lots of training in the offseason, offensive line starters playing without serious injuries, he will bust for well over 1000 yards next year is my prediction. I hate hearing the crap that he is washed up. 1600 yards and seven months later he's washed up?

Last edited:
http://www.patscap.com/
Check the main page. Right under Brady is Colvin with a 2006 cap hit of $5,484,160. BTW, I expect that all three years will be paid with no reductions. The cap might be reduced through an extension, but not the monies; just my opinion.

ilduce06410 said:
teich, i have colvin's 2005 cap hit at $2.73 million (miguel of course /www.patscap.com/2005capinfo.html).
one day, his cap hit is higher than anyone else's 'cept brady, seymour, vrabel, and light colvin's contract is gonna go the same way as those of milloy and law. that big cap hit is gonna be pushed back, and back, till the contract's final year. then the player has a choice: give back a good portion of the money agreed to in the original contract, or be cut.
who knows the result. to me, tho, this is different from the law/milloy/mcginest multiyear deals. those were contracts entered into by pete carroll/kraft. BB/SP didn't "own" those deals--they're not the ones who signed their names on it, so to speak.
colvin's deal will be the 1st one where BB/SP are up against an unacceptable last-year figure in an contract of THEIR OWN.
the deal seemed expensive to me the day they made it. but IMO it was a signal to the fans that the franchise was serious about winning, willing to spend money to get players. what happened with colvin is THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DEEEAL for nfl players. he's been injured and he obviously won't play up to a level that was expected when he signed. seymour and the twig have, of course, played far above the expected standard when they were signed.
i think rosy will have a monster season. if he don't get hurt. but IMHO BB/SP are not gonna pay that year=end figure. and we'll see if it gets worked out.
i really hope it will. we'll see.
the texans are probably all aquiver at the thought of bringing him, and his contract, to houston.

Pro-Bowl = Manning

Rosie has morphed into an every down OLB in the Belichick defense, by the KC game you had to double team him to get to the edge. What does it matter of he never has a 10 sack season like he did in Chicago? He is now playing like Willie and Vrabes. I don't care to see my team spending any more on a player then necessary, but I'll settle for whatever salary BB/SP agree on as the best value for that player's skills. Besides, where else are we going to get a 178 MPH LB to repace him for less money?

While Rosie may not be justly the #2 man, cap-wise, he is without question playing at a very high level, IMO. They're not mutually exclusive.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Pro-Bowl = Manning

Rosie has morphed into an every down OLB in the Belichick defense, by the KC game you had to double team him to get to the edge. What does it matter of he never has a 10 sack season like he did in Chicago? He is now playing like Willie and Vrabes. I don't care to see my team spending any more on a player then necessary, but I'll settle for whatever salary BB/SP agree on as the best value for that player's skills. Besides, where else are we going to get a 178 MPH LB to repace him for less money?

Agree totally with that assessment. He went from being a 1-2 down player in 2004 to an every-down player in 2005. While Colvin was steadily improving back to what could very well lead back to a Pro-Bowl level, McGinest seemed to have the good game (Jacksonville) but then disappeared again (Denver.) He'd have the sacks and make a few stops in the running game, but Colvin (and Warren, for example) really seemed to be pushing themselves a bit harder and never letting that motor stop. Just an observation.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Pro-Bowl = Manning

Agree. Tech's assessment of Rosie was a little harsh, IMO. He has developed and expanded his game to more than just a pass-rusher, if only for 1/2 a season. The point is, it wasn't a fluke. He knew what he was doing and got it right. IMO, he will really blossom this coming year.

Another IR we got back last year who should really take off is Watson. A possible long shot is Klecko, it's only going to be his 2nd year back from an IR knee injury. Everybody was down on him last year, but he was a guy whose main strength was in his legs. Gus Scott has been IR'ed 2 consecutive yrs.
Hard to say what he will do. Mruc and Britt are both going into their 3rd yr back from injury on the O-line as well. If 1/2 of these guys become solid back-up/contributors, we are going to be pretty deep. Plus, we have some good practice squad candidates in the late-rd/UDFA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back