PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung's First Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
CLARIFICATIONS: mgteich made a snarky thread based on little to no relevant information, got called out repeatedly, and rode a bike backwards for 4 minutes while writing his latest post.

Last edited:
/SIGH!

smug.JPG

I understand that those who have been here for only one season don't recall how much I prefer veterans to rookies or just how much I prefered linebacker help to drafting a safety as our top pick.

CLARIFICATIONS: mgteich made a snarky thread based on little to no relevant information, got called out repeatedly, and rode a bike backwards for 4 minutes while writing his latest post.

Yeah what kind of loser hasn't read every post you've made on the internet.

:rofl:

I though he was drafted at #34 because he was such a special teams dynamo. Where was Chung and why?

I know he stuffed McKelvin at the 20 yard line on NE's last kickoff, which was important as the Bills only needed to get into FG range to regain the lead.

Note: just read further into the thread, and noticed this had already been mentioned.

Last edited:
no need.

I've posted on the same board as many here for over five years. Obviously, we haven't read all of each others' posts nor do we always agree. We disagree more often than not. But we do tend to recall the biases that we each have.

The lack of clarification was my bad.

Yeah what kind of loser hasn't read every post you've made on the internet.

:rofl:

No offense bud but I don't care about your past posts or what you think people should know about your feelings on the depth chart.

All I'm pointing out is that this thread would have gone a lot better for you if you knew what you were talking about before you posted it, maintained a different tone throughout it, or just simply said what you wanted to say ("i think I told you so guys but I'm not sure because I didn't really watch the game very closely") without all the snark.

Take it for what you will.

No offense taken

Personally, I do care about the posts of others, otherwise I wouldn't be posting.

Obviously, the tone of my threads on rookeis was misleading.

No offense bud but I don't care about your past posts or what you think people should know about your feelings on the depth chart.

All I'm pointing out is that this thread would have gone a lot better for you if you knew what you were talking about before you posted it, maintained a different tone throughout it, or just simply said what you wanted to say ("i think I told you so guys but I'm not sure because I didn't really watch the game very closely") without all the snark.

This is basically how I see it as well. Sorry MG, but you made yourself look kind of foolish throughout this thread. I'm sure you'll turn it around with your next offering though.

Last edited:
I know he stuffed McKelvin at the 20 yard line on NE's last kickoff, which was important as the Bills only needed to get into FG range to regain the lead.

Note: just read further into the thread, and noticed this had already been mentioned.
I'm confused - Meriweather made the initial hit on McKelvin and held him up trying to strip the ball, Woods came in and finished the strip, Gostkowski recovered the ball. It's possible Chung made the hit on the KO before that where the KR fumbled but Buffalo jumped on it quickly, I haven't gotten that far in re-watching the game. Chung has shown up as a blocker on KR and Gunner blocker on PR.

I'm confused - Meriweather made the initial hit on McKelvin and held him up trying to strip the ball, Woods came in and finished the strip, Gostkowski recovered the ball. It's possible Chung made the hit on the KO before that where the KR fumbled but Buffalo jumped on it quickly, I haven't gotten that far in re-watching the game. Chung has shown up as a blocker on KR and Gunner blocker on PR.

It was the kickoff before,when Chung hit McKelvin at the 20.

Let's see at the end of the season how much Chung has contributed, not at the end of the first game.

BB is notoriously conservative about bringing along rookies, with relatively few exceptions, such as Mayo, which was partly out of necessity. There is no urgency to rush the rookies in, so I'm not surprised that he is taking the conservative approach. That's his track record.

Do I think that Brace, Chung, Butler and Vollmer are all capable of playing and contributing sooner rather than later? Yes. Louis Delmas started for Detroit on Sunday and made a 65 yard nice fumble return for a TD. I preferred Delmas to Chung, but they are comparable talents. I have no doubt that Chung could play and contribute. But he would also make rookie mistakes, and we have a far different level of talent than Detroit.

As far as ST goes, we may well see Chung. BB has a history of valuing players who are good STers, and Chung had that reputation. I don't think anyone expected him to come in and immediately become the core of our ST focus, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute substantially over the course of the season, as he earns playing time. That's what happened with Meriweather, who didn't do too poorly for us on STs Monday night.

As with Ron Brace and Darius Butler, I consider Chung to be much more talented with a much higher ceiling than the player who is currently starting ahead of him. Therefore I look forward to seeing him get playing time as soon as BB is comfortable, and I hope that that will be sooner rather than later. That's all. There's no fixed timeframe.

Comparing to Delmas, sure he started for the Lions....and did you see how many BOMBS were zippin over his head?? BB usually sprinkles in the rookies here and there to let them get used to the speed of the game etc and LIMIT THEIR MISTAKES. Now we did have 5 starters missing on defense, and info like that would have been better on draft day for sure(Seymour, Bruschi). These things happen, injuries(Mackenzie) happen. And the days of "high ceilings" are over, its snap to snap, day to day, game to game as far as who is better and who wants it more. These rookies are getting PAID now, so some lose the edge that made them the best. This team has a way of bringing that out of some guys, and talent alone doesnt get you on the field.

Exactly. Chung was the wedge buster on the KO team and on that last KO he actually busted the wedge AND made the tackle. Pretty good play. He was also one of the wing men on PR. And I'm pretty sure he was on the Punt team, although they only punted once and I'm too lazy to go searching for it just for this thread.

Chung was not on the Punt team, but he was on the KO Return team. So he was on 3 of the 4 ST units - which is what Reiss also reported.

That was a sweet hit as I recall, pity the ball bounced right for Buffalo or it would have been all over right there.

No, I'm talking about the Patriots LAST kickoff, after they had scored the go ahead TD, and the Bills only needed to get into FG range to win. On that kickoff Chung stuffed McKelvin at the 20, which was an important play. Also, on the kickoff where Mckelvin fumbled but was ruled down, it was Alexander who landed the initial pop, then both McGowen, and Woods hit McKelvin as he was spinning/going down. Chung was the wedge buster on that play.

On the Meriweather/Woods strip of McKelvin, I've watched the play in slow motion a number of times, and Meriweather got his hand between McKelvin's arm and the ball. He then ripped the ball out of McKelvin's grasp (the ball visible turns around as Meriweather ripped it out via the inside nose). The ball is still coming out when Woods hit's McKelvin, which completed the separation.

Maybe McKelvin regains control of the ball if not for the hit from Woods, but the ball was already coming out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes