PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung's First Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Butler and Vollmer are contributing now and should be expected to contineu to do so. Personally, I think that Chung and Brace need a bit of time to develop. But that's absolutely fine!

And the wildcard is Pryor.

And Edelman !

I though he was drafted at #34 because he was such a special teams dynamo. Where was Chung and why?

Chung is Merriweather's backup this year ... what's your point?
Next year his role changes.

Last edited:
I though he was drafted at #34 because he was such a special teams dynamo. Where was Chung and why?

He's a bust and if he should get hurt he will be made of glass.

I think he's about in the same place that Merriweather was in his first game....not doing much. And how well has THAT draft pick worked out......OK I guess. What's your problem. Don't we have enough to complain about. Why don't you start another Moroney thread. :rollleyes:

You sound stupid calling a rookie out on his first game, but go ahead.

I'm pretty sure he was the one who made that last tackle (not the fumbled one) on kickoff. He will be a good player, we just need to be patient with him. Chung is a good athlete and I believe he will contribute before the season ends.

Somewhat surprised that there is a need to determine the value of a rookie after a first game.. sounds like a NYJets Board.. we all know better than this.

These threads seem to be ignoring a fact that we already know, Belichick rarely relies on his rookies early in the year. 16-game rookie starters like Mankins and Mayo are rarities. Other guys like Wilson, Koppen and Kaczur were forced into action early due to injuries. Otherwise the vast majority of Patroits rookies over the years warm the bench for a good 1/4 of the year before they see the field in anything more than a special teams role.

They were concerned about coverage on the Buffalo WRs, not Chungs strong suit so far. Did a damn good job.

I think Chung might be called on as an option to address the current Grand Canyon in the middle of our defense.

Jeesh...no interceptions or punt returns in his first game. Cut the bum :eek:

Wasn't Chung the one who nailed McKelvin on the final kickoff of the game around Buffalo's 20?

I just woke up and was reading this thread through.

Was wondering when somebody was going to finally point this out to Mg.

That was a helluva tackle on a key play in the game in crunch time.

I have no idea what Mg is talking about.

Last edited:
Looks like mgteich's development as a talent evaluator isn't going as well as we'd hoped.

And by talent evaluator I mean "talent evaluator."

In all fairness to MgT, I think his point was that we shouldn't expect the rookies to be jumping in and taking over right away, and that he was fine with seeing them gradually phased in over the course of the season - as, I expect, are most people on this board. I expect to see Chung, Butler and Brace eased in gradually since that is generally BB's way, though I suspect they are ready to make contributions sooner rather than later and I'd personally like to see a bit more of them.

In all fairness to MgT, I think his point was that we shouldn't expect the rookies to be jumping in and taking over right away, and that he was fine with seeing them gradually phased in over the course of the season - as, I expect, are most people on this board. I expect to see Chung, Butler and Brace eased in gradually since that is generally BB's way, though I suspect they are ready to make contributions sooner rather than later and I'd personally like to see a bit more of them.
Perhaps, but I haven't read anyone else ripping on the rookies, they've all been too busy attacking the usual whipping boys. If mg's point was to post rookie protection threads, it failed. As has been noted, his original posts came across as negative and I'm not convinced they weren't - which leaves me rather perplexed as to what he was watching, because it wasn't the Buffalo game.

Exactly. Chung was the wedge buster on the KO team and on that last KO he actually busted the wedge AND made the tackle. Pretty good play. He was also one of the wing men on PR. And I'm pretty sure he was on the Punt team, although they only punted once and I'm too lazy to go searching for it just for this thread.

Apparently, many have never read many of posts before, so there is little context. In any case, I will clarify my position below.

I missed Chung's special team plays. I have not re-played the game. If he is playing special teams, then it is my bad. That is all that should be expected.

It is NOT me that thinks that Brace and Chung are studs and should be expected to contribute immediately. Read the posts since the draft. Even this week, there is a poster who thinks that Brace was not played in the regular offense so that he could be start against the jets (with Pryor) and surprise the jets and be the difference maker. It was that kind of expectation that the threads are directed.

==================
CLARIFICATIONS

1) I do not, and have never expected a rookie not drafted in the first round to have an immediate impact, expect when he is drafted to start like Koppen.

2) I am fine with rookies taking a full year plus a second preseason b eefore expecting them to contribute. Sometimes it takes a year longer. My expectations are reduced when a player has been injured. Most never are worth what they were before their injuries.

3) My great preference is NOT to depend on rookies. I greatly prefer to depend on grizzled old veterans for the time in which rookies develop. They serve as mentors and often share time with even the best (e.g. even Wilfork shared time in his rookie year).

4) I pick on Brace and Chung because so much was expected early by so many AND I didn't particularly like the choices at the time. Given the context of a dozen choices, these players make sense, as long as McKenzie is considered a top prospect (now it seems at ILB or OLB depending on the needs of the thread argument).

I am fine if Brace is able to be an option to start at NT next year if Wilfork isn't on the team. I don't expect that to happen. Wilfork should be at least franchised, but it is my HOPE tha Brace gives Belichick more options. I think it more reasonable to expect him to be a starter for the 2011 season, which again is fine.

I am told that we had a critical need for a backup safety (and so we did). I've also been told that Chung wasn't picked to play special teams. The poster said it is enough that Chung is Meriweather's backup. With all due respect, there were much cheaper ways to get a backup to Meriweather. There are always backup safeties available in free agency, especially ones with limited coverage skills. At the time, I was convinced that the safeties available in the 3rd and 4th would have met the need of a backup safety.

HOWEVER, I was well-pleased when I was told by so many that Chung would be a top special teamer. We need that in our backups.

5) I think that Butler could be the nickel right now. I think that Vollmer are capable of starting right now. How's that for "picking on the rookies"? Before the flames, I am NOT suggesting that either of these players be inserted into the starting lineups.

BOTTOM LINE
I am very, very high on this rookie class. We have at least two studs and it looks like there could be more. It is quite possible that this will be the best Belichick draft. It is also possible that this will only be a mid-level draft. We'll see after the 2011 season.

What role do you expect Chung to take in addressing the Grand Canyon? Do you expect that to happen before Mayo comes back?

They were concerned about coverage on the Buffalo WRs, not Chungs strong suit so far. Did a damn good job.

I think Chung might be called on as an option to address the current Grand Canyon in the middle of our defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes