PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charger/Pats preview...and overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what bling do the chargers have to brag about?

The Bling of Zilch !

Then again....he can't even count....14 yrs ago ....umm 1995 SB dumbass...that's 13

Thanks, Ken for an excellent post. Intelligent football analysis is the reason I come to patsfans, not to read smack by trolls, who even hijack posts like yours. Our fans can be just as irritating, with schoolyard comebacks of "cretin", "moron", "a**wipe". etc. Don't stoop down to their level, patsfans.

If you read other teams' boards, you'll see Pats trolls every bit as classless as the Indy and Charger trolls here. Every team has them. Like the little girl with the Pats jersey who was booed by Indy fans. You can't tell me that some Patriot fans wouldn't do the same here to a girl in a Colts jersey in Foxboro. It's disgusting, but every team has disguting fans. No team's fans have a monopoly on class and intelligence.

Back to your overview, I expect the Chargers to come out slugging. Anyone who beats the Patriots this year would be immortal. But besides our obvious edges in coaching and at QB, home field, etc., the Pats have leadership on the field which won't settle for second place. That's why we're always stronger in the fourth quarter. Patriots win 28-14.

What worries me about this game is that I truly believe that the Patriots were preparing for the Colts. In addition, the lack of information on who is going to play QB and RB for the Bolts will cause a headache for the Pats. The Pats are all about preparation and this little upset could cause problems.

What worries me about this game is that I truly believe that the Patriots were preparing for the Colts. In addition, the lack of information on who is going to play QB and RB for the Bolts will cause a headache for the Pats. The Pats are all about preparation and this little upset could cause problems.

I thought about that too, Mosi. But the Chargers aren't unknown to us. This is the third game between the two teams in just over a year. And, as Coach said, we have to be prepared for anyone on their 53 man roster to play. I'd be surprised if the master of preparation is caught with his pants down.

Good points on what SD brings and the challenges for the PATs this week.
A few comments:

1. Belichick vs Turner : this has been a match up in years gone by and
BB pretty much knows him and what to expect.

2. PATs Oline: Although SD has a very good pass rush, I don't see it being
much better, if at all, than the Giants. This Oline is by now pretty familar with
SD's pass rush. That really hasn't changed since week 2. I see no reason
to believe it will be any different Sunday. Tom will be protected for the most
part. There may be a few break downs but not consistently.

3. ANY DB one on one with Moss. - can anyone really think this is a good idea?

4. How many really good DB's does SD have? They'll need a bunch.

5. SD can have success on Offense. But my guess is PATs will force SD to
make long sustained drives.They'll look for SD to fail on crucial 3rd downs
trying to pass. I believe PATs DBs are quick enough to stay with SD's WRs.
They should be covered pretty well and will require some very good passes
to get to them. Gates is slowed and not himself not that he doesn't need
attention but he should be more manageable.
PATs pass rush should make SD getting deep passes difficult.
SD will score points but they'll have to work for each one.

I've been talking about many of the same things you mentioned with buddies at work.
The Colt's offense, particularly Manning, was the main advantage over the Chargers.
The SD defense has forced an insane amount of turnovers this year, 54 iirc. They tackle well, and go for strips, much like the Pats of the early 2000's were famous for.
Their special teams IS worlds better than Indy's. Their punter can boom it.
Their running attack is deep, and fast, and more of a threat than the fading Addai.

They're a more balanced defense than Jax or NYG, and don't seem to have a glaring weakness.

Also, their receivers are built much like Jax's, in that they have guys that are 6'3"+ and all built like fast TE's. That's going to be a tough cover for our small, not so hard hitting db's.

In the end, I like Brady to continue his smart, efficient play, and if the receivers secure the ball, the Pats will not come up as empty handed as the Colts did on trips inside SD territory. This is where the Colts could have blown this game wide open.
On the flip side, I assume BB will again focus on the run, and scheme to make Rivers or Volek have to beat the Pats, which imho, will be tougher in NE. It's going to be freezing and a qb like Rivers with his noodle arm and poor mechanics, doesn't seem like a big threat to be precise for 60 minutes.

Also, their receivers are built much like Jax's, in that they have guys that are 6'3"+ and all built like fast TE's. That's going to be a tough cover for our small, not so hard hitting db's.

When I see Rivers getting more than 200 yds and completing more than 60%
of his passes then I'd start to be concerned about their passing attack.
Last few weeks of season it seemed they were limiting Rivers to cut down on
his mistakes. When ever he threw for less than 200 yards his completion
percentage was good but he didn't throw much. When ever he had to
throw a lot he got in trouble. Force the game into Rivers hands and it's
a done deal.

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this but I just had to share that on San Diego's 1090am (Scott & BR Show) they are ripping Patriots fans for there being tickets available this morning. This of course coming from the team that needed a 24 hour extension to sell out their home playoff game (against the Titans) otherwise the game would have been blacked out.

I know we've all got homerism to some extent but this was just ridiculous.

You can stream it online for the next hour and a half at:
http://www.xxsportsradio.com/pages/main
At 9am (PST) they go to the Jim Rome Show. After that there are local shows again from noon to 7pm (PST)

Call in #: 858-457-1090

Now Scott Kaplan is whining about the lack of respect.

"Have you ever seen anything like this? Where no one in the world is giving the Chargers even an ounce of a chance to pull of the upset."

Got some pretty powerful sources if he knows what everyone in the world is thinking - but not very good ones since many people DO believe that the Chargers will have a shot.

I've been talking about many of the same things you mentioned with buddies at work.
The Colt's offense, particularly Manning, was the main advantage over the Chargers.
The SD defense has forced an insane amount of turnovers this year, 54 iirc. They tackle well, and go for strips, much like the Pats of the early 2000's were famous for.
Their special teams IS worlds better than Indy's. Their punter can boom it.
Their running attack is deep, and fast, and more of a threat than the fading Addai.

They're a more balanced defense than Jax or NYG, and don't seem to have a glaring weakness.

In the end, I like Brady to continue his smart, efficient play, and if the receivers secure the ball, the Pats will not come up as empty handed as the Colts did on trips inside SD territory. This is where the Colts could have blown this game wide open.
On the flip side, I assume BB will again focus on the run, and scheme to make Rivers or Volek have to beat the Pats, which imho, will be tougher in NE. It's going to be freezing and a qb like Rivers with his noodle arm and poor mechanics, doesn't seem like a big threat to be precise for 60 minutes.

Ten resons why Chargers will get smoked

1. They are going to play in frigid temps which they are not used to
2. they will be on the road where they got crushed in wk 2, 38-14
3. Their QB is hurt, as is their TE, and their LeClassy Tomlinturd, and Jamaal Williams their NT
4. Brady and Receiver group are gelling now afer 17 games under the belt
5. We have a healthy Sey back which we did not wk 2 (granted no Rosie)
6. Their Kicker can't hit a pressure FG if his life depended on it. imagine him trying FG's in 15F which he is not used to either
7. Pats running attack is much better now despite no Sammy Morriss. Maroney is healthy, and fresh
8. pats O line has already handled the unrelenting pass rush thrown at them by Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants just to name a few
9. Chargers D is fraud...328 yds passing allowed to Manning in 23-21 win over colts depite having 6 ints. Again 400 yds allowed this week. Moss, Stall, Welker, Gaffney, Watson, Faulk will have a field day. Yes 54 TO forced vs. 15 total TO be Pats all season. Pats protect the Ball !

and FINALLY

10. the zen master himself, Tom Brady.

I give the Bolts their due, but the Colts were only three plays away from blowing them out. It's that close in these games right now. If the Pats hang onto the ball they have a very good chance of winning.

The biggest concern I have is Rosie Colvin. Look at the havoc he wreaked in the last two games against this team.

Ten resons why Chargers will get smoked

1. They are going to play in frigid temps which they are not used to
2. they will be on the road where they got crushed in wk 2, 38-14
3. Their QB is hurt, as is their TE, and their LeClassy Tomlinturd, and Jamaal Williams their NT
4. Brady and Receiver group are gelling now afer 17 games under the belt
5. We have a healthy Sey back which we did not wk 2 (granted no Rosie)
6. Their Kicker can't hit a pressure FG if his life depended on it. imagine him trying FG's in 15F which he is not used to either
7. Pats running attack is much better now despite no Sammy Morriss. Maroney is healthy, and fresh
8. pats O line has already handled the unrelenting pass rush thrown at them by Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants just to name a few
9. Chargers D is fraud...328 yds passing allowed to Manning in 23-21 win over colts depite having 6 ints. Again 400 yds allowed this week. Moss, Stall, Welker, Gaffney, Watson, Faulk will have a field day. Yes 54 TO forced vs. 15 total TO be Pats all season. Pats protect the Ball !

and FINALLY

10. the zen master himself, Tom Brady.

11. Home/Road split. The Patriots' point differential at Home is +172. SD point differential on the road is +15.(Home for SD is +113, road for NE is +143). All numbers, regular season only.

11. Home/Road split. The Patriots' point differential at Home is +172. SD point differential on the road is +15.(Home for SD is +113, road for NE is +143). All numbers, regular season only.

Wow that's big.

HA! nice try, but it was a WR of NE that stripped the ball from our safety McCree after an INT! if McCree gets down instead of trying to return the INt, Bolts win.

It was a WR who has been a Nickel Corner for the Pats in previous years who created the strip. Yes, if McCree had any brains, he would have gone down. But he doesn't and he didn't. And the Bolts lost.

yeah run away... if we were losers we wouldn't still be in the playoffs.... Thats how much we scare you.

Charger trolls don't scare me. Neither do the arrogant Charger players.

Nor do they SCARE the Patriots. They are what they are. And the Pats will take them on accordingly.

Always good to read your thoughts Patfanken, and I agree in general with your assessments re: the Chargers strengths and weaknesses and why they pose a threat.

Ultimately, I disagree that the Chargers are the tougher team to face. The Colts have a better offense and defense, SD only has the edge in special teams, even with the injuries the Colts have sustained. Asides from that is the point that Manning is simply a guy you would rather not face - of course, I argued that this level of QB play is a reason why to root for a Pats-Colts matchup, so as to enjoy the epic battle which would ensue. Unfortunately, it hasn't occurred.

But, the Chargers remain scary. They are one of the most talented teams in the league, and it looks like temporarily, the fact that they are also the biggest group of jacka**es, morons and pieces of shyt ever assembled has not stopped them from using that talent to win ball games.

The main reason the Chargers are scary is simple - they can get pressure while keeping enough men back to cover. That is pre-requisite #1 for facing the Pats, the Colts can do it, and that's why they were a threat. But to be honest, I don't care how many picks Cromartie has, I don't think he can cover Moss 1 on 1. Moss made him his personal bytch in week 2, and who has made more progress since then? Cromartie? Or the Moss-Brady tandem? Honestly, Cromartie might be an amazing athlete, but if he's on 81 1 on 1, he's going to get Moss'd all night.

I guess I'm a little uneasy about this game b/c I don't know how the game planning is all going down. It was easy to see how we'd play the Jags, and it was easy to see why we were going to execute and win. I don't know what BB, McD, & Pees have in mind, I'm anxious to find out.

On offense, I think we'll want K. Brady [or Ben Watson] in there almost at all times to help out blocking - I think having one less catching weapon out there is a fair trade for Brady getting more time in the pocket. If Brady has any time, he finds somebody, it's that simple. So 3-WR, 1TE, 1RB (stay back and block or release for dump off) is the way to go. 4-wide spread might be too much, and a 2-WR, 2TE (now that both guys are healthy again), 1RB set might end up as our second most used grouping against SD (only used that twice against the Jags). Certainly, I think we can run on them out of that set or out of the 3-wide set, just as we did the Jags the other night.

Defense...who the heck knows b/c it all comes down to personnel and who shows up for the Chargers, also adding to the uneasy feeling I have about the game. I like to know what to expect ahead of time, and b/c of the injuries and everything, I just don't, so for me - Sunday can't come soon enough...

Last edited:
Didn't want to start a new thread just for this but I just had to share that on San Diego's 1090am (Scott & BR Show) they are ripping Patriots fans for there being tickets available this morning. This of course coming from the team that needed a 24 hour extension to sell out their home playoff game (against the Titans) otherwise the game would have been blacked out.

I know we've all got homerism to some extent but this was just ridiculous.

You can stream it online for the next hour and a half at:
http://www.xxsportsradio.com/pages/main
At 9am (PST) they go to the Jim Rome Show. After that there are local shows again from noon to 7pm (PST)

Call in #: 858-457-1090

That's pretty laughable considering that the Patriots haven't even released the remaining tickets. Something, by contract, they can't do. And those tickets are ones that the Chargers said they didn't need.

with my homerism aside (or at least trying) we are better than the Colts. We beat them twice this year and we had plenty of opportunities to blow that game wide open if it wasn't for the holding penalty and BS calls that kept us on our heels all game. Sure, Manning threw for 400 yds but we were giving him certain routes, then taking it away, then giving it to him, then taking it away, then shut it down in the second half of the 4th. Manning has ALWAYS had success against our defense, but has been garbage in the red zone, that's a little how we game planned for him also. TD>FG

Cro may play soft but it's a mixture of trying to give the QB a look then close and int and the defensive scheme. A couple times he was playing soft and got burned because he had safety help but there was no safety there but I have confidence that he could create turnovers and just beat a WR to the ball or put himself into a position where he could be under control and in the right spot just in case there's a tipped ball or bad pass (which has been the majority of his picks just being in the right place at the right time). Now, with all this praise and all this All Pro talk for Cro, NO WAY IN HELL does he cover Moss one on one. It's just stupid to think that two people of such equal athleticism should be matched up. Moss knows where the ball is going to be thrown, what his route is, and, since they're pretty equal, should be able to catch 50% of the balls his way if one on one with Cro and that may be 50 yds down field. It's just stupid coaching to let that happen. Cro will be on Moss but not singled up.

The biggest thing mentioned was the travel miles. Going through 3 time zones twice in a week will wear anyone out.

Overall, I think it was a fair assessment of the upcoming game and by all accounts the Pats should win by 3 touchdowns. But that's why they play the game.

That's pretty laughable considering that the Patriots haven't even released the remaining tickets. Something, by contract, they can't do. And those tickets are ones that the Chargers said they didn't need.

Yeah, there's always factors involved in sellouts. When I tried to get my Titans tickets on the Monday before the game I was told by ticketmaster that they were sold out. Come to find out that there was tickets available on Friday. I don't know if they were sold in bunches, as you said for contract reasons, or if Ticketmaster was only allowed to sell a certain amount of tickets. It just made me think how many times that happened to other people. I mean, we sold out ever regular season game pretty quickly, so why did it take so long to sell out a playoff game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft