PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Scott injures knee, carted off field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson is a CB as well as a safety. So is Meriweather. So please stop your over-reacting.

No, the Patriots DON'T NEED 5-6 CBs. They need 4. 5-6 would be nice, but you have to fit it in with the rest of the team.

As for what the Pats have, you really shouldn't discount Richardson or Anam. Hell, even Spann could make a return with the injury to Scott. Why couldn't Richardson or Anam be the 5th CB on this team?

Also, as I mentioned and you CLEARLY over-looked, they still have Troy Brown who could end up playing more at CB.

As for the Safeties, you have Harrison, Sanders, Mitchell, Wilson, Hawkins, Meriweather and Andrews. Mitchell has started previously, just not for the Patriots and he's a good player. I wouldn't write him off too soon. Andrews was one of the best special teams players we had last year.

No. 4 CBs on July 27th is NOT enough. They need 4 to play a game, not to start a season. End of story.

Andrews was one of the best ST'ers we had; so was Izzo... you want Izzo at LB?
I love troy brown... do you really want to count on him as a CB?

Last edited:
no. 4 CBs on July 27th is NOT enough. they need 4 to play a game, not to start a season. end of story.
andrews was one of the best ST'ers we had; so was izzo... you want izzo at LB?
i love troy brown... do you really want to count on him as a CB?

The Pats have Hobbs, Gay, James, Anam, Richardson and Williams at CB right now. They also have Samuel at some point and YES, I count Troy Brown as a damn good Nickel Back. They could also bring back Antwan Spann. So, NO, I am NOT worried about CB at this point. And, they could, very well, put Wilson or Meriweather there and affect their depth at Safety only minimally.

No, I don't want Izzo starting at ILB. But for that to happen, the Pats would need to lose 2 or 3 of Seau, Bruschi, Alexander and Mays. Just like the Pats would have to lose others before we'd have to worry about Andrews being on the field regularly.

Andrews played CB/S in college, was a damn good gunner, and returned punts and kicks. He's a 2nd year player and much more apt to be able to come in on plays right now than others.

OH, and I forgot Rashad Baker at safety as well. So, they could easily move Wilson or Meriweather to CB without affecting their depth.

Anam? Richardson? you're kidding, right? Wilson and Meriweather are safeties... if you want to pull both of them into CB roles, then S gets thin fast...
it is a big deal when you consider we have the rest of practices, 4 preseason games, then 19 more real games... right now you've got hobbs and gay starting and james as the 3... we need 5-6 CB's... at S we have 5 good players... we need 4. there's no way we are gonna play 23 games without losing more DB's
Geez, lighten up. You make it sound like Chad Scott is the key to our superbowl hopes. There's a good chance that even if he isn't hurt, he might not even make the 53. Have a martini and a couple of valiums.

Have a martini and a couple of valiums. Sounds good to me,except I'm at work. Oh what the he!! if you insist. Scott's probably haveing a drink and a couple of percacet right now. ;)

Last edited:
Geez, lighten up. You make it sound like Chad Scott is the key to our superbowl hopes. There's a good chance that even if he isn't hurt, he might not even make the 53. Have a martini and a couple of valiums.

Yeah I don't see this as a critical loss if everyone else is healthy. I think though that is what has people upset. Most see this as a "And it begins" moment for our DBs who have missed a TON of time over the past few seasons.

Randall Gay has missed 24 games in two seasons and he's now higher up the depth chart. I'm sure people are just nervous about the likelihood that we lose more players.

Wilson is a CB as well as a safety. So is Meriweather. So please stop your over-reacting.

No, the Patriots DON'T NEED 5-6 CBs. They need 4. 5-6 would be nice, but you have to fit it in with the rest of the team.

As for what the Pats have, you really shouldn't discount Richardson or Anam. Hell, even Spann could make a return with the injury to Scott. Why couldn't Richardson or Anam be the 5th CB on this team?

Also, as I mentioned and you CLEARLY over-looked, they still have Troy Brown who could end up playing more at CB.

As for the Safeties, you have Harrison, Sanders, Mitchell, Wilson, Hawkins, Meriweather and Andrews. Mitchell has started previously, just not for the Patriots and he's a good player. I wouldn't write him off too soon. Andrews was one of the best special teams players we had last year.

Did Otis sign with Philly yet?:rolleyes:

Anam what?

An ummm undrafted free agent?

Last edited:
Clutching knee. Sounds like he's done. And the erosion of depth begins.....

I'm not happy about this either - and while I'd prefer for competition to decide the final roster, I realize that not every DB on the roster now is going to make the final 53 man roster.

i.e. we have this many DBs in camp precisely BECAUSE of the expectation that there will be injuries.

Chad Scott AGAIN on IR?

If he is how many times would this be in his career?

I would like to have guys that can take a hit without going down for the year every August, I know we have no control over this stuff but its aggravating of all the injury prone guys we seem to have on the field are in that secondary position.

It almost seems like any CB/DB we have on our team has abnormally soft, sensitive bones/muscles almost waiting to become problematic with an opposing hit.

Sorry for the rant...I would just like to see our secondary intact by week 1 at least for once, I hope he is O.K.

Chad Scott AGAIN on IR?

If he is how many times would this be in his career?

I would like to have guys that can take a hit without going down for the year every August, I know we have no control over this stuff but its aggravating of all the injury prone guys we seem to have on the field are in that secondary position.

It almost seems like any CB/DB we have on our team has abnormally soft, sensitive bones/muscles almost waiting to become problematic with an opposing hit.

Sorry for the rant...I would just like to see our secondary intact by week 1 at least for once, I hope he is O.K.

This has nothing to do with "taking a hit" or "being abnormally soft."

It's a freak injury.

It's a freak injury.
It may have something to be with getting old, however. He is (excluding Brown) the oldest CB on the roster.

Have a martini and a couple of valiums. Sounds good to me,except I'm at work. Oh what the he!!if you insist. Scott's probably have a drink and a couple of percacet right now. ;)
Mmmmmm percacet!

It's a freak injury.

Lets hope those 'Freak' injuries don't happen too often this year or we will all be 'Freakin' out and miss the 'Freakin' SB that we 'Freakin' expect to win this year.

I just took a deep breath and said to myself "Its only July,not to worry,Its only July" - I am O.K. now, Chad hopefully will be O.K tomorrow once the pain wears off hopefully.

Do you ever watch the Patriots?

Troy Brown has NEVER played CB...never has, never will.

He fills in at NICKLEBACK, not CORNERBACK.

He is no way a replacement for Chad Scott, who plays CB and safety.

The stupidity of some on this board about Troy Brown is just beyond belief.

Read my lips..,TB is only an emergency nickleback...

That's it...got it?

Hey, at least it wasn't Hobbs who got hurt.

Do you ever watch the Patriots?

Troy Brown has NEVER played CB...never has, never will.

He fills in at NICKLEBACK, not CORNERBACK.

He is no way a replacement for Chad Scott, who plays CB and safety.

The stupidity of some on this board about Troy Brown is just beyond belief.

Read my lips..,TB is only an emergency nickleback...

That's it...got it?

First of all, can we get people once and for all to spell "Nickel" correctly? It's only one of the most common words in the American lexicon. Are there other countries where people can't spell their own money correctly? I doubt it somehow.

Second, the nickel just means the fifth defensive back. Five cents, five DBs, hence the term. A nickel back can be anywhere on the field, he can line up as a safety or as corner, it doesn't matter, the terminology is basically irrelevant. Troy as a corner usually does line up inside, but a DB who covers a receiver in the slot is also called a cornerback. On the Patriots you'll often see the team bring in a safety in the nickel and move Wilson to play the third corner position in the slot. Then again sometimes the nickel is a corner (in Samuel's rookie year he was often the nickel, playing the inside slot corner position, which the Pats call the "Star" position). So the term nickel back is basically meaningless.

I think what you're probably trying to say is that Troy never plays on the outside, which is more or less true, although he does line up out there occasionally. Beyond that he's obviously not going to step in and be a starter. But to say that the nickel back is not going to replace Scott is kind of silly, because the likelihood is that your fifth DB is going to be the replacement when one of the first four goes down to injury.

injuries like these always suck, kinda reminds me how harper went down in something like the first game last season for the colts

Actually I wasn't real happy with Scott and Hobbs as starters, if that happened.

Where we really miss him is as a backup with size IMO.

Also, it makes the Asante situation much stickier.

First of all, can we get people once and for all to spell "Nickel" correctly? It's only one of the most common words in the American lexicon. Are there other countries where people can't spell their own money correctly? I doubt it somehow.

Second, the nickel just means the fifth defensive back. Five cents, five DBs, hence the term. A nickel back can be anywhere on the field, he can line up as a safety or as corner, it doesn't matter, the terminology is basically irrelevant. Troy as a corner usually does line up inside, but a DB who covers a receiver in the slot is also called a cornerback. On the Patriots you'll often see the team bring in a safety in the nickel and move Wilson to play the third corner position in the slot. Then again sometimes the nickel is a corner (in Samuel's rookie year he was often the nickel, playing the inside slot corner position, which the Pats call the "Star" position). So the term nickel back is basically meaningless.

I think what you're probably trying to say is that Troy never plays on the outside, which is more or less true, although he does line up out there occasionally. Beyond that he's obviously not going to step in and be a starter. But to say that the nickel back is not going to replace Scott is kind of silly, because the likelihood is that your fifth DB is going to be the replacement when one of the first four goes down to injury.

thanks for the lexicon lesson.

however,Troy Brown as a "nickle,nickel,5-cent,or other numistatic description is accurate.

He will NEVER line-up outside against a wideout.

This is delusional...never was,never will be.

He has never even played zone coverage on the outside.

I love the guy,but "night train" Lane would be ahead of TB on the depth chart.

He's a "dire emergency",slot-only
DB.....never,ever,a CB.

DaBruinz,looked foolish desribing him as such,and I called him on it.

End of story.

Actually I wasn't real happy with Scott and Hobbs as starters, if that happened.

Where we really miss him is as a backup with size IMO.

Also, it makes the Asante situation much stickier.

I agree. It's a *****, but I give up of dreams of one healthy season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST