PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Scott injures knee, carted off field

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the lexicon lesson.

however,Troy Brown as a "nickle,nickel,5-cent,or other numistatic description is accurate.

He will NEVER line-up outside against a wideout.

This is delusional...never was,never will be.

He has never even played zone coverage on the outside.

I love the guy,but "night train" Lane would be ahead of TB on the depth chart.

He's a "dire emergency",slot-only
DB.....never,ever,a CB.

DaBruinz,looked foolish desribing him as such,and I called him on it.

End of story.
and it was a good call

Mike Reiss in the Globe reported that after Scott went down they went with Randall Gay opposite Hobbs. With Merriweather coming in today I'm sure they'll have him working at corner. Otherwise we've got Gay, Tory James, Mike Richardson, Gemara Williams, or Eugene Wilson as replacements. Yikes!!!

Mike Reiss in the Globe reported that after Scott went down they went with Randall Gay opposite Hobbs. With Merriweather coming in today I'm sure they'll have him working at corner. Otherwise we've got Gay, Tory James, Mike Richardson, Gemara Williams, or Eugene Wilson as replacements. Yikes!!!

Barring injury to Samuel, Hobbs or Gay, I think it was unlikely that both Scott and James make the cut. If this injury is as bad as it seems, it just clears the path for James.

I expect to see Gay, Wilson and Meriweather all working out at CB and FS. In a nickel/dime situation, having those 3 guys moving around in the middle of the field would have to make the opposing QB think twice. Who is covering the slot? Are they jumping the outside routes? Is anyone going to retreat to the deep middle? Just a half-second of indecision allows the pressure to get to the QB.

I'm not saying that we won't have traditional positions in the back 8 (Harrison, Sanders, Samuel, Hobbs, Colvin, Bruschi, Seau), but I think it is the hybrid guys (Gay, Wilson, Meriweather, A.Thomas, Vrabel) that will make the defense special.

Do you ever watch the Patriots?

Troy Brown has NEVER played CB...never has, never will.

He fills in at NICKLEBACK, not CORNERBACK.

He is no way a replacement for Chad Scott, who plays CB and safety.

The stupidity of some on this board about Troy Brown is just beyond belief.

Read my lips..,TB is only an emergency nickleback...

That's it...got it?

WOW. Nothing like showing how much of an ARSE you really are. Damn you are friggin ignorant. The only stupidity is coming from you, Italia.

Next time you reply to my post, make sure you know what the hell you are talking about because you clearly don't. My initial response had Brown included as the Slot Corner extraordinaire. Otherwise known as a NICKLEBACK.

Also, if you read my initial post, which you clearly didn't, you'd have seen that I included him at the bottom of the depht chart.

So, do everyone a favor and go get the cranial rectal inversion that you so clearly need taken care of.

Re: Chad Scott Hurt

What's that.....Oh My God!...That's....That's......That's Hank Poteat music!!

thanks for the lexicon lesson.

however,Troy Brown as a "nickle,nickel,5-cent,or other numistatic description is accurate.

He will NEVER line-up outside against a wideout.

This is delusional...never was,never will be.

He has never even played zone coverage on the outside.

I love the guy,but "night train" Lane would be ahead of TB on the depth chart.

He's a "dire emergency",slot-only
DB.....never,ever,a CB.

DaBruinz,looked foolish desribing him as such,and I called him on it.

End of story.

DUDE -
YOU look foolish because you didn't read a damn thing posted. Here you go. My original post. Next time read the friggin thing before making yourself look like an arse.

DaBruinz said:
Well, it stinks that Chad Scott got hurt. However, why do we need to start looking for other CB options? We have several DBs on the team. Hobbs, Gay, Anam, Richardson, James, Wilson, Meriweather. Not to mention slot CB extraordinaire Troy Brown. And, yes, they could eventually have Samuel there also. Losing Scott hurts the depth, but its not a major thing.

As for PWC - Just because you got your panties in a wad over your over-reaction, which YOU got called on, doesn't mean you know what you are talking about here.

Any word on when Eddie Jackson will be capable of playing?

DUDE -
YOU look foolish because you didn't read a damn thing posted. Here you go. My original post. Next time read the friggin thing before making yourself look like an arse.

As for PWC - Just because you got your panties in a wad over your over-reaction, which YOU got called on, doesn't mean you know what you are talking about here.

Yes, he was splitting hairs about the corner/nickel-back terminology, and yes, he overreacted and was unnecessarily combative about it...but c'mon, Troy Brown isn't an "extraordinaire" at any DB position, whatever you call it. He's still an emergency nickelback only, and one that the team would be best off if they never had to use.

Anyway, another versatile DB on our roster that nobody seems to be talking about is Artrell Hawkins. He has some NFL starting experience at CB (something neither Wilson + Merriweather can claim), plays smart + w/ good instincts and can jam well at the LOS. With Harrison + Wilson back, and James Sanders playing strong down the stretch last year and getting plaudits in camp already, I'd say we have good enough safety depth to move Hawkins back to corner.

Troy Brown is not a defensive back. If the secondary is that depleted NE will find a true defensive guy somewhere. We all look back with fond memories but 2004 was a long time ago. We all know what Troy Brown means to the Patriots but his DB skills are not why he is here. Troy Brown is a receiver and mentor at this point. I don't want to rely on him on that side of the ball. It's not his job. He is 36 years old. This is crazy! Maybe Heath Evans can play LB or Seau can play FB yeah...put down the Madden controller.

WOW. Nothing like showing how much of an ARSE you really are. Damn you are friggin ignorant. The only stupidity is coming from you, Italia.

Next time you reply to my post, make sure you know what the hell you are talking about because you clearly don't. My initial response had Brown included as the Slot Corner extraordinaire. Otherwise known as a NICKLEBACK.

Also, if you read my initial post, which you clearly didn't, you'd have seen that I included him at the bottom of the depht chart.

So, do everyone a favor and go get the cranial rectal inversion that you so clearly need taken care of.

Wow...2 anal references within 1 post.

Doesn't quite make up for one's schoolboy view of pro football.

You were wrong. Admit it and move on. Unless you're going to make the claim that BB is a liar, you've got no leg to stand on:

“I haven’t been around a better leader in 30 years in the NFL than Troy Brown, and he would never, ever stand up in front of the team and give a speech. There’s no chance of that. But because Troy has a team attitude, works hard, is always prepared and is willing to do whatever I ask him to do -- return punts, play corner, play wide receiver, come in and block a linebacker -- anything you ask him to do, he’ll do and he’ll do it for the good of the team and that’s a leader.”

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=11758&pcid=41

Now, man up, confess your error, shut up about the rest of it, move on, and have a nice weekend. Sheesh!

Re: Chad Scott Hurt

Awful news, sounds like the ACL huh? Great, first day of camp and we lose our #3 CB (#2 without Asante).

Yes, it hurts a bit, better him than Hobbs. Last year we had similar (if not worse) depth at CB and were still ok).

A 4th for Paul Oliver from Georgia would look pretty good right now.

I atill hold on to hope against hope that Samuel returns in late August and that no other CBs get hurt. Our front seven should be very good and take a lot of pressure of the secondary.

DUDE -
He was making a distinction between CB and DB, pointing out that technically Troy doesn't play CB as you mentioned in your post, but rather lines up as an extra back (nickel or nickle, take your pick).

Last edited:
He was making a distinction between CB and DB, pointing out that technically Troy doesn't play CB as you mentioned in your post, but rather lines up as an extra back (nickel or nickle, take your pick).

I think what he was saying is counting on a 36 year old receiver, a 6th round pick an an undrafted free agent from college is pretty much the opposite of having proven backups.

We're fortunate to have Gay and Wilson who, although they have very little actual experience playing cornerback in the NFL between them, can reasonably be expected to be able to do the job if they can stay healthy.

Mentioning Brown, Aran and Richardson is nothing more than mentioning any name ever associated with the position.

It is totally meaningless at this time, any cut from another team has an equal chance to be a solution.

Wow, what an incisive post.

I hear BB was also a fan of Mother Theresa. Could she cover one on one, or is she just a nicelback?
You may have missed the part of Deus Irae's post where BB called him a corner.

Anywho, its clear this thread can be boiled down to a semantic argument. Italia says Troy never played corner because he never was in the "corner" of the pass defense. DaBruinz calls Troy a corner because he sure as hell didn't play safety. I'd go with DaBruinz on this, but really, this is an argument no one should care about.

Last edited:

Schoolboy view? Better than having an ignorant view I guess. But you lead the quotient on that.

In my original post, I said that Troy was the SLOT Corner. Which is where he lined up primarily when he played DB for the Pats. His "distinction" is a poor attempt at splitting hairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft