PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap Pages will be updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the 2011 page is done yet. He is still working on it.

Now in the middle of transitioning the main page. Should be done soon. Never realized until this year how much time it took.

According to my figures the Patriots' 2011 cap figure is for $111,858,858 with 67 signed or tendered players.

It's a lot more complex than that because guys like Nnamdi command huge signing bonus (cash over cap) or crippling guarantees like the ones he wrung out of crazy Al. And there are other fish to fry like extending or locating another LT and RG and DE and OLB and RB and maybe even WR and there will be needs developed in camp as guys get injured or don't appear to pan out and there will be in season holes to plug, etc. Nnamdi might count against someone's cap $10M in 2011, but he will cost a lot more in cash and eventual cap hits because he's going to command at least $13-15M per AAV on his next deal and result in $16-20M cap hits on the back end when he's in his mid 30's...and maybe still a pretty good #1 CB but just not good enough to justify the % of cap he's occupying relative to your entire roster (as was the case with Ty Law).

I know what you mean and i understand nothing is ever that simple. It just very alluring sometimes seeing the 30million in cap room this year and knowing we won't really spend any of it. When as a fan (and in madden) you just want to go ok we'll plug demarcus ware/NNamdi in here and our d will now be unstopable.

I know what you mean and i understand nothing is ever that simple. It just very alluring sometimes seeing the 30million in cap room this year and knowing we won't really spend any of it. When as a fan (and in madden) you just want to go ok we'll plug demarcus ware/NNamdi in here and our d will now be unstopable.

The $30M cap room seems a bit unrealistic to me though. The 2008 cap was $121M and the owners opted out of that deal ASAP. To project something in the $135M range would be a major victory for the players.

The good news is that we could start the season with the roster we have and likely be as good as last year, especially if we re-signed Light. The only real "holes" are at backup running back, since we only have three running backs coming back: Green-Ellis, Woodhead and Clayton.

If we sign Light before the draft and keep Mankins for this year, we would only be talking about upgrades, not the filling of any holes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Players By Position March 9th, 2011
QB - 2 Brady, Hoyer, (Crompton)
RB - 5 Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Clayton, open, open
FB - 0
C - 2 Koppen, Wendell
G - 3 Mankins, Ohrnberger, Connolly, (Austin)
OT - 4 Kaczur, Vollmer, Levoir, Maneri
WR - 5 Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Branch,(Farnham),(Jenkins)
TE - 3 Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez, (Butler)
--------------------------------------------------------
DE - 3 Deaderick, Ty Warren, Stroud, (Favorite)
DT - 4 Wright/Love, Brace, Pryor, Wilfork, (Weston), (Richard)
LB - 8 Mayo, Ninkovich, Fletcher, Guyton, Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Spikes,
Moore
CB - 5 Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite, Butler, (Jackson), (Carter),
(Turner)
S - 5 Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, Page, (Ventrone)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P - 1 Mesko
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Katula
ST - 2 Slater, Brown
Inactive Players By Position
RB - Kettani (Reserve/Military),
WR - Barnes (Reserve/Military), White (Reserve/Military),

Last edited:
We're in great shape. If the cap comes down a little. Even in better shape. Some of our key competition can't afford the cap to come down at all. J-E-T-S. Get Mankins and Light signed. Use the draft to build the front 7 on defense and ol. I'd like to either trade for/sign a veteran wr. We haven't had a lot of luck drafting them lately.

The $30M cap room seems a bit unrealistic to me though. The 2008 cap was $121M and the owners opted out of that deal ASAP. To project something in the $135M range would be a major victory for the players.

This brings me to another point then... how can the Jets afford to sign all their players to these large deals and have way less players signed than we do but still be under the cap?

If reports are true they are bringing back Holmes and Cromartie plus franchised Harris. How does that work?

We are indeed in great shape. Even a $125M cap would allow us to re-sign Light, pay Mankins his current money, sign the rookies. and sign a couple of mid level agents.

Personally, I don't think that we have any intention of paying Mankins $11M for this services this year. That will free up another $9M even after signing a veteran guard for $2M.

For me, it is early to talk about free agent strategies. However, it is clear that we will be under almost zero pressure.

The good news is that we could start the season with the roster we have and likely be as good as last year, especially if we re-signed Light. The only real "holes" are at backup running back, since we only have three running backs coming back: Green-Ellis, Woodhead and Clayton.

If we sign Light before the draft and keep Mankins for this year, we would only be talking about upgrades, not the filling of any holes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Players By Position March 9th, 2011
QB - 2 Brady, Hoyer, (Crompton)
RB - 5 Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Clayton, open, open
FB - 0
C - 2 Koppen, Wendell
G - 3 Mankins, Ohrnberger, Connolly, (Austin)
OT - 4 Kaczur, Vollmer, Levoir, Maneri
WR - 5 Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Branch,(Farnham),(Jenkins)
TE - 3 Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez, (Butler)
--------------------------------------------------------
DE - 3 Deaderick, Ty Warren, Stroud, (Favorite)
DT - 4 Wright/Love, Brace, Pryor, Wilfork, (Weston), (Richard)
LB - 8 Mayo, Ninkovich, Fletcher, Guyton, Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Spikes,
Moore
CB - 5 Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite, Butler, (Jackson), (Carter),
(Turner)
S - 5 Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, Page, (Ventrone)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P - 1 Mesko
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Katula
ST - 2 Slater, Brown
Inactive Players By Position
RB - Kettani (Reserve/Military),
WR - Barnes (Reserve/Military), White (Reserve/Military),

Finished the dead money section and the Not in the Top 51 section. Will start updating the Top 51 section tomorrow.

Now in the middle of transitioning the main page. Should be done soon. Never realized until this year how much time it took.

According to my figures the Patriots' 2011 cap figure is for $111,858,858 with 67 signed or tendered players.

Thanks again for all the hard work that only rewards you the respect of the Pats fans, a few mentions by the local media, and some donations for the soup kitchen that your sister's friend is involved with. Ok, you got a few Google ads, but I guess that can't pay you much more than the cost to keep the site running (I do try to remember to click on the ads everytime I go to your site to help your revenue).

Like that the Pats are in good cap shape even with Mankins getting a really high tender. A long term deal or trade will knock his number down quite a bit. The Pats will have the luxury to go after a marquee free agent or two if they wish and still get several mid-tier ones.

Last edited:
This brings me to another point then... how can the Jets afford to sign all their players to these large deals and have way less players signed than we do but still be under the cap?

If reports are true they are bringing back Holmes and Cromartie plus franchised Harris. How does that work?
Who says they are under the cap?

The number they have there - $100mil - does not seem to account for any dead money hits. It also does not account for Harris' franchise tender.

On a separate note, another tip of the hat to Miguel for doing this great work!

He doesn't accually say whether they are under or over the cap. How could he.

Add to that he doesn't count things he apparently doesn't choose to. As I posted in another thread a while ago he has decided that the JETS would not have released the players they did when they did unless there was an agreement to accelerate dead cap back to 2010, and based on his assumption he admittedly isn't including any dead cap related to those releases...amounting to around $10M.

He is also inexplicably not including David Harris' franchise tag even though he has signed it...another $10M.

And he has chosen to ignore any of the tenders NY placed on their 9 potential FA most of whom have more than 4 years of service. Whether you include them to hint at the partial effect retaining them would entail or choose to assume FA will be back to normal under a new CBA and they will be FA whom the team will have to retain or replace can be debated. But there is a potential cost there considering that list includes both starting WR and the #2CB and their KR and slot corner for openers.

Just adding Harris' tag and the dead cap back into his figures has the JETS over $120M with about 55 players legitimately under contract. Add in just the tenders on the 9 potential FA strictly as place holders (those re-signed or those who replace those who are not might get more or less but someone will be signed to fill those slots and the aggregate cost is likely to equal if not exceed the tenders) and unless the cap is well over $128M they will be over it pending restructure and additional releases.

Finished the dead money section and the Not in the Top 51 section. Will start updating the Top 51 section tomorrow.
Players 34 (Tate) through 51(Mesko) are now done.

Players 34 (Tate) through 51(Mesko) are now done.
Players 21 (Guyton) through 51(Sergio Brown) are now done.
I have the Patriots' 2011 cap figure as $112,110,338 with 65 signed or tendered players

Hats off to SirApropos

SirApropos got a rather major mistake of mine. Somehow I did not have Deion Branch on the page or in the underlying workbook.

According to my latest figures the Patriots' 2011 cap figure is for $113,673,458 with 75 signed or tendered players.

Thanks as always for the hard work Miguel.

Reiss Mailbag: Says NE rookie cap is $5.8M

Mike was asked where the Patriots stand cap wise. He has them at $7.5M under before including BJGE. Miguel has them estimated at $8.34M under including BJGE. Either way the rookie pool will eat up the bulk of that. Remember however there is an option to borrow $3M from future caps to fund portions of veteran contracts and there is also $3.65M available to each team to also fund veteran deals (from the old post season performance bonus pay plan). I have seen no confirmation of whether the veteran minimum salary deal exemption remains although I have heard mention that it does.

Q. What's your latest "guesstimate" on the Pats' salary cap? Do you still think they have about $7.5 million available? Also, how much do you think it will take to sign all the draft picks? -- Paul (Everett, Mass.)

A. Paul, the Patriots had about $7.5 million before factoring in draft picks and restricted free agent running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Logan Mankins' franchise number of around $10 million is included). Their rookie pool allocation is $5.8 million and Green-Ellis is going to eat up another $2 million or so. That's why I think we'll see a few salary-cap related cuts.

New England Patriots Mailbag -- let the building begin - ESPN Boston

Re: Reiss Mailbag: Says NE rookie cap is $5.8M

Mike was asked where the Patriots stand cap wise. He has them at $7.5M under before including BJGE. Miguel has them estimated at $8.34M under including BJGE. Either way the rookie pool will eat up the bulk of that. Remember however there is an option to borrow $3M from future caps to fund portions of veteran contracts and there is also $3.65M available to each team to also fund veteran deals (from the old post season performance bonus pay plan). I have seen no confirmation of whether the veteran minimum salary deal exemption remains although I have heard mention that it does.

New England Patriots Mailbag -- let the building begin - ESPN Boston

I think he's forgetting that the rookies signed in rounds 1-3 at least will knock other salaries out of the top 51.

ETA: That's exactly what should happen. Solder, Dowling, Vereen, Ridley, and Mallett should all knock off players already in the top 51. In particular, the cap hits for Vereen, Ridley, and Mallett should be on the order of $600K-$700K, so they should each add about $150K to the cap. Dowling and Solder will add quite a bit more, but nowhere near $5.8M.

The remaining drafted rookies (Cannon, Smith, Carter, Williams) will not receive SBs large enough to put them in the top 51.

tl;dr version: the additional cap hit from signing the rookies should be a lot closer to $2M than $5.8M.

Last edited:
Re: Reiss Mailbag: Says NE rookie cap is $5.8M

I think he's forgetting that the rookies signed in rounds 1-3 at least will knock other salaries out of the top 51.

ETA: That's exactly what should happen. Solder, Dowling, Vereen, Ridley, and Mallett should all knock off players already in the top 51. In particular, the cap hits for Vereen, Ridley, and Mallett should be on the order of $600K-$700K, so they should each add about $150K to the cap. Dowling and Solder will add quite a bit more, but nowhere near $5.8M.

The remaining drafted rookies (Cannon, Smith, Carter, Williams) will not receive SBs large enough to put them in the top 51.

tl;dr version: the additional cap hit from signing the rookies should be a lot closer to $2M than $5.8M.

The formula for rookie deals has changed in a way that may not allow teams to structure deals to produce low ball first year cap hits. There are supposedly no more easy workarounds because bonus loophole language has been closed. And there is no longer 5-6 years in which to play with amortization on these deals. Just 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3