PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap Pages will be updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss Mailbag: Says NE rookie cap is $5.8M

The formula for rookie deals has changed in a way that may not allow teams to structure deals to produce low ball first year cap hits. There are supposedly no more easy workarounds because bonus loophole language has been closed. And there is no longer 5-6 years in which to play with amortization on these deals. Just 4.

The new rules really don't affect anyone after the second round, and may not have much of an affect on Dowling. Solder's deal is obviously affected, but my guess is the shorter term length will result in a smaller total amount, too.

But in any case, that doesn't change the base fact that each of those contracts will knock out a Top 51 deal worth about $500K.

There does seem to be a specific set of guidlines on rookie deal limits and structure. Would be nice if one of our intrepid mediots could find out what the Patriots guidelines entail. And what allotments and assignments mean. Don't need them all standing around Gillette tweeting sightings...

Exclusive: Contract figures for 49ers rookies

There does seem to be a specific set of guidlines on rookie deal limits and structure. Would be nice if one of our intrepid mediots could find out what the Patriots guidelines entail. And what allotments and assignments mean. Don't need them all standing around Gillette tweeting sightings...

Exclusive: Contract figures for 49ers rookies

DB Chris Culliver, third round (No. 80)
First-year allocation: 524,719
Total four-year allocation: 2,885,953
First-year minimum allotment: 503,750

Educated guess based on above:

Total four-year allocation: the total amount that the contract should/must be worth (I'm guessing they'll be able to round those numbers slightly).

First-year allocation: the amount expected to count against the cap.

First-year minimum allotment: the minimum amount that must be counted against the cap in the first year.

Note that the rookie salary is $375,000, so a first-year allocation of 524,719 would presume a signing bonus on the order of $150K/year.

Cap Pages will be updated to reflect the new CBA

I am now in the middle of updating the last 3 columns.

2011 Cap Hit if Cut
2011 Cap Savings if Cut or Traded
2012 Cap Hit if Cut or Traded.

Have completed players 18 through 51.
Need to complete players 1 (Brady) through 17 (McCourty).

Should be done by tomorrow night.

Some Early Cap Arithmetic

Next week we will have this all firmed up by Miguel. Almost all numbers are based on Miguel's sheet.
===================================
CAP $124M (inlcudes additional veteran monies, but no borrowing from the future)
CURRENT ($108M)
ROOKIES ($6M) this includes the net rookie amount, players 52, 53, PS and injury fund

AVAILABLE = $10M

MORRIS $1M ???
HAYNSWORTH $5M
LIGHT net of KACZUR $3M
JAGS net amount $1M (jags cost little since they replace players at low cost)
===============================================

a) MINOR RESTRUCTURES should free enough for re-signs and minor addition or two,

b) MANKINS is the key to signing another major addition. If Mankins is signed longterm, $5M or so will be available. If he is traded, $10M will be available. If he is traded, $5M may go for a guard.

Last edited:
Anyone have a ballpark on our cap number?

I'm sure Miguel (keep up the great work!) is busy with all of the recent signings and cuts. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for where we are right now? This would include Ochocinco, Haynesworth, rookies (and you could probably estimate the unsigned ones based on other players around the league), as well as all of the recent cuts.

Wondering if there is anything left over. Not asking for an exact figure, but just in general, are we really tight right now, or is there, say 4-8M left over? Thanks.

Re: Anyone have a ballpark on our cap number?

No idea considering the cuts the Pats made today and the questions on whether or not the dead money is being washed totally, being split with only the 2011 amount being washed, or being totally pushed into 2012.

I'm sure once Miguel get's his hands on a copy of the CBA, he'll have his page updated..

My guess is that the Pats freed up 12.95 million... Add that to the 7.5 million they had and subtract out the 5.8 million rookie pool. So, about 14 mill or so...

But that is just a WAG considering the aforementioned issues with dead money.

BTW, subtract another 5.4 million for Haynesworth.. As for Chad, Im gonna say that the pats will be using their 3.5 mil exemption on him after they "OFFICIALLY" re-do his contract after Tuesday.

Last edited:

Hi Miguel, do you have a feel for the "Dead Money " issue and how that impacts the cap this year and next?

While fans like us have been all over the place speculating on this and that regarding cap rules and numbers, Miguel is waiting for the facts in the new CBA to become oficially public rather than looking like us fools. The Killjoy!

Last edited:

Hi Miguel, do you have a feel for the "Dead Money " issue and how that impacts the cap this year and next?

My guess is that this is how it goes.
if a player was released before 3/11/11 no dead money at all in 2011.
if a player was released after 3/10/11 2011 dead money consists of 2011 signing bonus proration and some offseason workout bonus money.

NFL's transition rules allow Vikings to clear more cap space with cuts | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

Denver Broncos Won't Count "Dead Money" Towards 2011 Salary Cap Figure - Mile High Report

FYI - Correll Buckwalter was just released.

if a player was released after 3/10/11 2011 dead money consists of 2011 signing bonus proration and some offseason workout bonus money.

NFL's transition rules allow Vikings to clear more cap space with cuts | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

Denver Broncos Won't Count "Dead Money" Towards 2011 Salary Cap Figure - Mile High Report

From what I read in your pages, the Patriots are now $10-$11 million under the cap, correct?

I think the way it's being couched is very confusing (no dead cap in 2011...). Didn't the old June 1 rule call for basically a split of any remaining dead cap (including current years proration) over two years including the current year? This seems to be saying current proration remains (ergo it's dead cap) and all remaining proration is taken in 2012 if I read you right.

From what I read in your pages, the Patriots are now $10-$11 million under the cap, correct?

That's my current estimate with the following proviso.

I have not yet included the cap effects of the signings of Sammy Morris, Ryan Mallett, Stevan Ridley, Malcolm Williams and Marcus Cannon. Maybe take another $500K. We are also waiting to see if the Pats will use the 3 $1 million cap exemptions.

My gut is telling me that my current cap numbers for Branch, Mayo and McCourty are understating their true cap numbers.

No idea considering the cuts the Pats made today and the questions on whether or not the dead money is being washed totally, being split with only the 2011 amount being washed, or being totally pushed into 2012.

I'm sure once Miguel get's his hands on a copy of the CBA, he'll have his page updated..

My guess is that the Pats freed up 12.95 million... Add that to the 7.5 million they had and subtract out the 5.8 million rookie pool. So, about 14 mill or so...

But that is just a WAG considering the aforementioned issues with dead money.

BTW, subtract another 5.4 million for Haynesworth.. As for Chad, Im gonna say that the pats will be using their 3.5 mil exemption on him after they "OFFICIALLY" re-do his contract after Tuesday.

There is no $3.5M exemption. There is a $3M exemption but it cannot be used on one player. Up to $1M per can be used on 3 players and it's got to be paid back in later caps. There is another $3.65M available from the old performance incentive payment plan (that did not impact cap) in 2011 only - I guess the program will return in some form in 2012 - but I have yet to see any details on how that can be applied.

Last edited:

There is no $3.5M exemption. There is a $3M exemption but it cannot be used on one player. Up to $1M per can be used on 3 players and it's got to be paid back in later caps. There is another $3.65M available from the old performance incentive payment plan (that did not impact cap) in 2011 only - I guess the program will return in some form in 2012 - but I have yet to see any details on how that can be applied.

Mo -
There is the 3 million you can "bring forward" from future years. I don't consider that an "exemption".

My understand is that the 3.65 million is a true exemption similar to the Bird Exemption from the NBA.. If it's not. So be it..

That's my current estimate with the following proviso.

I have not yet included the cap effects of the signings of Sammy Morris, Ryan Mallett, Stevan Ridley, Malcolm Williams and Marcus Cannon. Maybe take another $500K. We are also waiting to see if the Pats will use the 3 $1 million cap exemptions.

My gut is telling me that my current cap numbers for Branch, Mayo and McCourty are understating their true cap numbers.

Miguel - When will you be updating the dead money section with the correct numbers for Ty Warren?

Will you also be adding Ryan Coulson, Alge Crumpler and Nick Kaczur to the dead money section?

Thanks in advance...

I'd like to add 3 guys. Sounds like we might have enough to do it. Matt Light, Gerard Warren and Manny Lawson or Matt Roth.

Mo -
There is the 3 million you can "bring forward" from future years. I don't consider that an "exemption".

My understand is that the 3.65 million is a true exemption similar to the Bird Exemption from the NBA.. If it's not. So be it..

Here is what PFT claimed:

First, although each team has a cap limit of $120.4 million, each team may exercise a $3 million exemption, pushing the true cap to $123.4 million.

Second, each team can ignore up to $1 million in salary for three separate veterans with five or more years of service.

Third, teams can spend money now that is spread over future salary caps. For example, the $30 million signing bonus paid to Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson on a six-year deal results in $5 million being allocated to each of the next six seasons.

And here is what AdamJT13 commented:

adamjt13 says:
Jul 27, 2011 8:54 PM
The first and second items are the same thing. Teams can designate up to $1 million of three 5-year-plus veterans’ base salaries above the minimum to be applied in any proportion to the 2014-2017 caps, for a total of $3 million. The third item is just the standard bonus proration that has existed since the cap started.

I think the confusion initially emanated from mediots trying to break news about tidbits that they were picking up about what was being discussed. Things were misconstrued or misinterpreted. The comparison to a mid level exemption being one of them. But they were making that leap in initially describing the $3M. I have not heard anyone other than Jeff Pash speak on the $3.65M, and he said it was the former performance bonus plan that would be returning in 2012 but for now teams could use the money to benefit veteran players. He didn't say how...

NFLPA reminds agents of new salary cap exceptions | ProFootballTalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye