PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap Pages will be updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your great work.

BTW, you have Orhnberger as an OT and Maneri as a an OG on the roster page sumarry. Maneri is also listed as an OG is the detail above. I wbelieve that Ohrnberger has always been an OG for us, and Maneri an OT.

Thanks again for all your work Miguel.

The best way to say "thanks" to Miguel is to send a little $ to

Bread of Life
511 Main Street
Malden, MA 02148-3918
ATTN: Mea Quinn Mustone

Last edited:
I'm not a TBC basher by any stretch, but I see that if he's cut in 2011 his cap hit is 4 million. Dooh!

I'm not a TBC basher by any stretch, but I see that if he's cut in 2011 his cap hit is 4 million. Dooh!
No. That was what the 2011 hit would have been if he were cut in 2010.

I might actually go to work today just so I can use the multiple monitors.

Could not go to work because our building was conducting a power outage test.

One question, even though you don't have the 2011 numbers up, do you have any idea what the Pats' 2011 cap figure is? We obviously don't know what the cap limit is for 2011, but it will at least give us an idea of whether they are going to be able to make moves or have to make cuts or stay pat if and when the new CBA is ratified.

As of now, I have the 2011 cap figure as 109.25 million. That's before my quality check.

I suspect that number does not include Mankins, Green-Ellis. Page and Arrington.

No. That was what the 2011 hit would have been if he were cut in 2010.
TBC's dead money hit in 2011 is $4 million if he is cut before June 1st.

I suspect that number does not include Mankins, Green-Ellis. Page and Arrington.

Why would you suspect that? Franchise tags and tenders count against a cap once placed. And it's highly unlikely any rule changes in a new CBA will impact the players we have tagged or tendered based on their service status.

By my earlier quick reconing we have 2 players with double digit cap hits thus far in 2011...Brady at $13.2M and Mankins at his tag of roughly $10.1M. And less than a third of the present roster with hits in excess of $1M. The only sizeable addition to anticipate at this time would be Light probably in excess of $5M on a short term deal. But they could probably slide him in based on savings achieved via a couple of other restructures and/or cuts, and he would be joining just a half dozen players on this roster with hits in that ballpark. One of the benefits of having a relatively young roster.

It's tough to guesstimate what a 2011 cap might be because it is dependent on what level of concessions the league can squeeze out of the union revenue sharing wise. But rumor has it the owners have been shooting for a 2011 cap at no more than the same level as 2009 which was $128M. We were in the $135M range had there been a cap in 2010, but Brady's hit is $4M less this year and that included Moss' $6M+ hit as well as almost $5M in cap hits for 2 deadweight now departed RB's (Maroney and Taylor). I would imagine what happens via an 18 game schedule could impact future caps, although the expanded revenue/value of that would not be achieved before 2012.

May as well keep him.

Yup, but while $500K in savings isn't worth the effort, Bill doesn't always operate on that basis and TBC could well be in line for a haircut ala Kaczur. As could Sanders. 500 potentia FA competing on the FA market ultimately could provide teams lots of leverage in some situations. And even Warren could be asked to restructure to include some NLTBE playing time incentives based on his return from a season on IR. As could Bodden. Even Koppen could be restructured via short term extension depending on what they end up doing in the draft. They could probably squeeze another several million in cap space out of the 2011 roster if they choose or need to.

As of now, I have the 2011 cap figure as 109.25 million. That's before my quality check.

Well, it is a little higher than I expected, but I guess I wasn't thinking of Mankins' cap number. Hopefully, the Pats will get a deal done which could knock his cap number down by several million.

It should give the Pats anywhere between $20-30 million in cap space with a new CBA by most of the estimates of what people think will the the cap for 2011 after a new deal. My guess is the cap will be around $135 million, but who knows. I assume there are contracts that could be tweaked if they needed more money. Luckily most of their free agents they want to keep are already tendered and already count against that cap #.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

TBC's dead money hit in 2011 is $4 million if he is cut before June 1st.
Oh, that makes sense because all the unamortized comes due if cut by 6/1, and I was looking at the 2009 page which pushed it back. I was thinking after 6/1.
Thanks for all your work. (quantity and quality)

Well, it is a little higher than I expected, but I guess I wasn't thinking of Mankins' cap number. Hopefully, the Pats will get a deal done which could knock his cap number down by several million.

It should give the Pats anywhere between $20-30 million in cap space with a new CBA by most of the estimates of what people think will the the cap for 2011 after a new deal. My guess is the cap will be around $135 million, but who knows. I assume there are contracts that could be tweaked if they needed more money. Luckily most of their free agents they want to keep are already tendered and already count against that cap #.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

i know i'm just a fann and don't have any real fiscal responsibility but when you see something like having 20-35 million in cap room this year. Doesn't it make you want to just go... ok Namdi here's 10 mil come start for our team. i know it's more complex than that but sometimes when i see how much extra we have i just wish we went and got the one difference maker. We set ourselves up so well in the draft and i know we r spoiled as fans. But i just see the cap room we have and want us to go after somebody (then again there's the Afailius and haynesworth cautionary tales to think about)

Yup, but while $500K in savings isn't worth the effort, Bill doesn't always operate on that basis and TBC could well be in line for a haircut ala Kaczur. As could Sanders. 500 potentia FA competing on the FA market ultimately could provide teams lots of leverage in some situations. And even Warren could be asked to restructure to include some NLTBE playing time incentives based on his return from a season on IR. As could Bodden. Even Koppen could be restructured via short term extension depending on what they end up doing in the draft. They could probably squeeze another several million in cap space out of the 2011 roster if they choose or need to.

How can that be?

TBC has 4 Mil in guaranteed signing bonus for years 2011 and 2012. Wont the Pats always be on the hook for that 4 Mil?

Kaczur has 3.4 Mil in salary for 2011. Salary not paid if Kaczur is not on the team before Sept doesnt count.

How can that be?

TBC has 4 Mil in guaranteed signing bonus for years 2011 and 2012. Wont the Pats always be on the hook for that 4 Mil?

Kaczur has 3.4 Mil in salary for 2011. Salary not paid if Kaczur is not on the team before Sept doesnt count.

Yes, they will always be on the hook (for money already paid and amortized onto the cap over the length of the deal) accounting wise via cap charges. But that money is already paid or sunk cost. It doesn't guarantee they will pay him a nickel more because the rest of his money is either salary or workout bonuses or incentives. If they decide that it's worth it to take a dead cap hit in 2011 and 2012 of $2M per they don't have to pay him the remaining $6.1M in salary he is scheduled to earn in 2011-2012, and he doesn't have a shot at earning the remaining $3M in incentives (and if there is an off season $400K in workout bonuses) also left on his deal... In a FA market with 500 guys looking for work it might make more sense to him to have a job that pays him half his anticipated salary ($2.3M in 2011) while retaining the ability to earn what are likely his remaining NLTBE incentives ($1.5M in 2011) and maybe even earn more in 2012 if he has a solid 2011 season than to be looking for a job in a flooded FA market after June 1 with other GM's knowing BB chose to walk away from him at $2.3M in salary and cap savings.

i know i'm just a fann and don't have any real fiscal responsibility but when you see something like having 20-35 million in cap room this year. Doesn't it make you want to just go... ok Namdi here's 10 mil come start for our team. i know it's more complex than that but sometimes when i see how much extra we have i just wish we went and got the one difference maker. We set ourselves up so well in the draft and i know we r spoiled as fans. But i just see the cap room we have and want us to go after somebody (then again there's the Afailius and haynesworth cautionary tales to think about)

It's a lot more complex than that because guys like Nnamdi command huge signing bonus (cash over cap) or crippling guarantees like the ones he wrung out of crazy Al. And there are other fish to fry like extending or locating another LT and RG and DE and OLB and RB and maybe even WR and there will be needs developed in camp as guys get injured or don't appear to pan out and there will be in season holes to plug, etc. Nnamdi might count against someone's cap $10M in 2011, but he will cost a lot more in cash and eventual cap hits because he's going to command at least $13-15M per AAV on his next deal and result in $16-20M cap hits on the back end when he's in his mid 30's...and maybe still a pretty good #1 CB but just not good enough to justify the % of cap he's occupying relative to your entire roster (as was the case with Ty Law).

Can someone link me to the latest update?

I can only get to the 2010 page. TIA

Can someone link me to the latest update?

I can only get to the 2010 page. TIA

I don't think the 2011 page is done yet. He is still working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back