PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cannon status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 20 Hours and counting

Seriously, though, if they activate Cannon (which I hope they do), it'll most likely be at the expense of Donald Thomas, who isn't being activated anyways.

I wonder if Thomas has practice squad eligibility left. He started a lot of games for the Dolphins before being injured, and that was as a rookie. I think he might have excellent potential.

If Cannon is versatile enough, Dante could mold him.......that would be a HUGE bonus......he looks like he has the build to be solid in the middle...

As good as Koppen is, he sometimes gets overpowered by the bigger NT's....

Waters is playing very good im ok with Cannon siting out the season

Waters is playing very good im ok with Cannon siting out the season

That's not the question at hand.

The question is: should they cut someone else so that Cannon can practice with the team the rest of the season (and play if need be), or should they just shut him down for the rest of the year?

That's not the question at hand.

The question is: should they cut someone else so that Cannon can practice with the team the rest of the season (and play if need be), or should they just shut him down for the rest of the year?

if it was up to me i would shut him down he has never got to practice with the team this season and the pats have two pro bowl G's next year is when they really need him IMO

if it was up to me i would shut him down he has never got to practice with the team this season and the pats have two pro bowl G's next year is when they really need him IMO

He's been practicing with the team for the last three weeks.

If there isn't some marginal back of the roster player to move tot he PS, shelve Vereen on IR with a phony injury, add Cannon. We have plenty of options at RB, fewer at interior OL.

If there isn't some marginal back of the roster player to move tot he PS, shelve Vereen on IR with a phony injury, add Cannon. We have plenty of options at RB, fewer at interior OL.

Like Donald Thomas?

Cannon practicing with the team for the remainder of this season will add big benefits next year toward his development......

Vereen has been BIG disappointment....I think it's an injury related issue, but for him to get zero game experience so far is disturbing for such a high draft pick........as stated by someone here, RB is solid so far...if need be, IR him and get Cannon prepared for next year....If Pats have playoff position locked up by last game, stick him in for gameday experience....

Marcus Cannon give us the versatility BB covets *excluding Left Tackle* it seems like Cannon can play anywhere from LG to RT.

did not know that, so someone has to be cut for him to be active ? i really dont know how that works

Similar to PUP, a team can have a player who was on the Non-Football Injury list practice with the team for up to three weeks before having to make a decision on activating him or sitting him for the rest of the season.

It has now been three weeks, the Pats will have to make that decision by the end of today.

Belichick just said that Cannon will be activated during his current conference call

Reiss twitted that Cannon will be added to the Active Roster later today!!!

Finally!!!! Maybe now we'll finally have some O-Line depth!!

Bill Belichick Says Patriots Will Promote Marcus Cannon to Active Roster - New England Patriots - NESN.com

With just three weeks of practice, it's tough to forecast how ready Cannon would be in a potential game situation. The vast majority of his collegiate experience came at tackle, but Belichick wouldn't rule out the possibility of Cannon playing guard.

"I think he's working hard," Belichick said Friday. "He hasn't had a chance to play until we activated him, but he's gotten better consistently. It's great to have him out there. We'll see how it goes."

Belichick expounded on Cannon's positional versatility.

"He's played a lot more at tackle than he has any place else on the line," Belichick said. "He played there in college, and he's played both sides. He hasn't played a lot inside. I personally don't see any reason why he couldn't play inside. I think he's athletic enough. He's certainly big enough. He has enough power and enough quickness, so ultimately, what is his best position -- left tackle, right tackle, left guard, right guard? I'm not sure. In the three weeks, or whatever this is, third week of practice, he's taken a lot of snaps, most of them have been with the scout team, but he's worked in a couple of different positions. I don't see any limitations, but that being said, he hasn't done it. He hasn't done a lot of it, especially at guard. He's a lot more comfortable at tackle. He has a lot more experience at tackle. That's not saying he couldn't play another position, but it would only be based on limited snaps at this point."

So who gets cut? Donald Thomas is one possibility since he's an OL. But if BB isn't comfortable with Cannon at G yet, he could stay. Ross Ventrone has to be a candidate just based on how many times he's been released and Chung should be back, but with the secondary so banged up do you want to cut a DB?

Marcus Cannon give us the versatility BB covets *excluding Left Tackle* it seems like Cannon can play anywhere from LG to RT.

well..... he played mostly LT in college protecting andy dalton........so he can also play LT, although it appears we have enough of those guys......

I have a funny feeling that he's going to be a pro-bowl caliber player

I think Ventrone stays this time. He actually got a fair amount of playing time last game if I'm not mistaken, since a couple bodies went down over the course of the game. I don't know if he played particularly well individually, but the whole unit had a great game. If he were to hit the waiver wire, I'd think another team would claim him this time. He may have some allegiance to BB however (ie. could he say no to other teams? I'm not entirely sure how that process works)

Or not haha... how many times is that now for Ventrone!?

I think Ventrone stays this time. He actually got a fair amount of playing time last game if I'm not mistaken, since a couple bodies went down over the course of the game. I don't know if he played particularly well individually, but the whole unit had a great game. If he were to hit the waiver wire, I'd think another team would claim him this time. He may have some allegiance to BB however (ie. could he say no to other teams? I'm not entirely sure how that process works)

Teams can claim him. So far no teams want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST