PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged x5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Atlanta game had to convince BB to get some more depth at LB. Junior will be just another body slightly better than Chad Brown and Monty Biesel. He'll have as much affect on the team as Reche Caldwell, limited.

Couple O'Thoughts on the Junior Situation:

Let's not count our chickens before they pass the physical (see Suggs, Lee).

If Seau passes the PE, then he should huddle with Vrabel and BB to discuss the specific positions each would play. Perhaps they could line up next to each other, Vrabel as ILB and Seau as OLB, then Vrabel as OLB and Seau as ILB. That is, if BB thinks that he can play both sides effectively.

This move, if consumated, should not preclude the FO from persuing ILB and/or OLB talent for both the present and the future. That talent could arrive via trade or cutdown date pickup, and hopefully from next year's draft. The only LBs known to be keepers, excluding Seau, are Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin. Everybody else's job is available, until proven otherwise.

As has already been mentioned, do not underestimate the intangibles that Seau would bring to the huddle and to the locker room. He may not be as vocal as he was in SD, since here he is the New Guy, but his teammates would feed from his hunger, his intensity, his passion and his professionalism. Similar to Brian Cox, Bobby Hamilton and Roman Pfifer in 2001, and Harrison and Colvin in 2003, Junior Seau could be the catalyst who drives this team through the grind of the regular season, and on through the playoffs in persuit of a ring of his own.

Also, any addition to the LB corps could mean the future subtraction from it of Larry Izzo and Don Davis. Beisel, Gardner and the DBs should more than make up for the loss of their fossilized mediocrity.

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

rabthepat said:
That Atlanta game had to convince BB to get some more depth at LB. Junior will be just another body slightly better than Chad Brown and Monty Biesel. He'll have as much affect on the team as Reche Caldwell, limited.
Well Caldwell is going to have to have an affect on the team being he is the #1 reciever almost definitley with Branch prepared to sit out most of the season. So I'd imagine he'll be a top target for Brady.

LB Seau might unretire to join Pats

LB Seau might unretire to join Pats
By John Tomase
Boston Herald Sports Writer

Friday, August 18, 2006 - Updated: 06:09 AM EST

FOXBORO - The Patriots soon might fill a hole with a Hall of Famer.

The San Diego Chargers last night confirmed linebacker Junior Seau was on his way to New England, where he could sign a contract with the Patriots today.

“Junior left a message for Chargers President Dean Spanos (yesterday) alerting him that he may sign a contract and play for the New England Patriots,†the Chargers said in a statement. “If in fact he chooses to continue his playing career, we wish him good health and the best of luck this season. Junior’s place in the Chargers Hall of Fame awaits him when his career is over.â€

I am usually just a lurker, but thought I would post this because I hadn't see it posted on the board.

Here is the link:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=153400

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LB Seau might unretire to join Pats

sorry I didn't see anything in any of the thread titles that indicated it was already posted.

I will go back to lurker status.

Nikki said:
sorry I didn't see anything in any of the thread titles that indicated it was already posted.

Don't worry about it -stay a while, take your shoes off :)

Nikki said:

Don't worry about it. The thread title doesn't clearly identify the subject.

Hope that you don't go back to bed and pull the covers over your head.

Welcome to the board.

Don't be afraid to post. I'm a classic example that you don't need to be the brightest bulb to post here.

Last edited:

Nikki said:

It happens to the best of us, don't let =that= run you back into the shadows!

He still has to pass a physical. Not to mention nobody wanted him a week ago before he announced his retirement. Saban tried, but couldn't find a way to use him, and the Raiders passed over a chance to sign him after he was released...

I wish him the best of luck with his visit to the Patriots, but even if he is signed, I don't expect him to contribute very much at this stage in his career. Good luck....

Thanks guys! :)

You know how sensitive us girls can get LOL

BTW........PATSNUTme, I have love your signature photo of Harrison!!

Seymour93 said:
I'll echo the general sentiment of this thread. I don't see a problem with Seau playing 20 max. plays, as long as we have someone besides Beisel playing the rest of the game (Shanle hopefully). There is little to lose here; we are that desperate for LB reinforcements, which proves AJ and the "Everything is fine" crowd wrong.
Adding veteran depth when it is available does not mean there is a disaster goign on.

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

Darren Woodson is joking around on Mike and Mike in the morning that if Deion Sanders joins him, they'll both go to the Pats. :D

NEM said:
OOOOOOH , another girl..... Maybe I will stay too. :D

LOL, atleast my post made one person happy :D

Nikki said:
LOL, atleast my post made one person happy :D

You just heard from our 'funny uncle".

PATSNUTme said:
I'm a classic example that you don't need to be the brightest bulb to post here.

:agree:

:cool2:

Nikki said:
Thanks guys! :)

You know how sensitive us girls can get LOL

BTW........PATSNUTme, I have love your signature photo of Harrison!!

Thanks, a friend did the graphics. I couldn't have done that.

But the message appears to be coming true.:rocker:

BTW, you just heard from the board's "funny uncle" NEM.

Last edited:

I just skimmed the board, but I think this is a great move. He's a strong, savvy linebacker who has lost some quickness. I see no reason why he can't be as good at this stage of his career as Ted Johnson was the last couple of years he played. And Ted was a good contributor to the team, only a bit limited in his usage. That seems like Junior at this stage to me.

He'll be solid in positioning, strong at the POA, and be the kind of smart, team-oriented, ultra-competitive player the Patriots have built their 21st century dynasty on. Bobby Hamilton in a stand-up stance ...

captain stone said:
Couple O'Thoughts on the Junior Situation:

Let's not count our chickens before they pass the physical (see Suggs, Lee).

If Seau passes the PE, then he should huddle with Vrabel and BB to discuss the specific positions each would play. Perhaps they could line up next to each other, Vrabel as ILB and Seau as OLB, then Vrabel as OLB and Seau as ILB. That is, if BB thinks that he can play both sides effectively.

This is the point I wanted to see made without reading through 209 posts. Lucky me started on the last page.

I think that all these media outlets are way off base proclaiming Seau is our new ILB. I don't know why they leapt to that conclusion. Probably because of the Patriots perceived need.

I think the wiser think to do would be to switch Vrabel inside full-time (meaning > 75%) and let Seau play on the outside. Weren't Seau's best years with him playing the Sam in the 4-3? That's the way I remember it, anyway.

I think last year's Chad Brown experiment showed what happens when you put an aging player with little experience at the position at ILB in Belichick's defense. And Browns seasons immediately preceding the Patriots were better than Seau's.

Let's plan on a linebacking corps or Colvin-Vrabel-Bruschi-Seau, with TBC rotating in every-third series plus passing situations. Until Bruschi comes back, we can get by with ONE of Gardner/Beisel/Anderson/New Guy lined up next to Vrabel.

dryheat44 said:
This is the point I wanted to see made without reading through 209 posts. Lucky me started on the last page.

I think that all these media outlets are way off base proclaiming Seau is our new ILB. I don't know why they leapt to that conclusion. Probably because of the Patriots perceived need.

I think the wiser think to do would be to switch Vrabel inside full-time (meaning > 75%) and let Seau play on the outside. Weren't Seau's best years with him playing the Sam in the 4-3? That's the way I remember it, anyway.

I think last year's Chad Brown experiment showed what happens when you put an aging player with little experience at the position at ILB in Belichick's defense. And Browns seasons immediately preceding the Patriots were better than Seau's.

Let's plan on a linebacking corps or Colvin-Vrabel-Bruschi-Seau, with TBC rotating in every-third series plus passing situations. Until Bruschi comes back, we can get by with ONE of Gardner/Beisel/Anderson/New Guy lined up next to Vrabel.

Seau is a 4-3 OLB and 3-4 ILB by nature. You won't see him as a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB/DE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore