PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged x5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

Mosi Moose said:
I just logged on to post the same thing. What does Reiss mean by this?

Just covering his tracks in case the injury takes a very severe turn.

Mosi Moose said:
I just logged on to post the same thing. What does Reiss mean by this?

It does sound rather dire. If this is even remotely true, don't be surprised to see more LBs brought in to compete for the #4 LB, if not the #3. If Seau is indeed signed, he could possibly get reps (maybe lots of them) at both ILB and OLB during the 3rd and 4th preseason games. A healthy Chad Brown (as an OLB only) could help make some of these decisions easier. What the eff is wrong with his effing hand, anyway?

Last edited:
Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

Seymour93 said:
But it doesn't mean everything is A OK either. Recruiting a retired player to play for the team signals that BB has little faith in his LB corps.
It's the timing I find most curious.

The dude was cut in what - April? That's over 6 months that nobody showed any interest, including us. NOW we're bringin him in? Why not last week, 2 weeks ago? Last month? This is bad news about Bruschi, Brown, or Besiel... one of the injuries is far worse than first thought, or Monty bombed miserably in camp (I don't wanna hear it, Arrellbee).

IF it goes through, this is clearly a reactionary signing. We can speculate all day about what it's a reaction to, but something happened. And it wasn't just Rodney sudenly remembering that his buddy was preparing to head up couch duty for the season.

as usual felger on his radio show is critcizing the move....only weeks before when he was criticizing the pats for not signing veterans like phifer...

Football is a game of emotion as well as execution. This is especially true of the defense. I like this signing for what it brings to the Defense. Lets hope Rodney and Seau have just enough gas left in the tank for one more lap.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

The dude was cut in what - April? That's over 6 months that nobody showed any interest, including us. NOW we're bringin him in? Why not last week, 2 weeks ago? Last month? This is bad news about Bruschi, Brown, or Besiel... one of the injuries is far worse than first thought, or Monty bombed miserably in camp (I don't wanna hear it, Arrellbee).

IF it goes through, this is clearly a reactionary signing. We can speculate all day about what it's a reaction to, but something happened. And it wasn't just Rodney sudenly remembering that his buddy was preparing to head up couch duty for the season.

If it had been any other writer but Reiss I would have taken it with a grain of salt, but further reading up on a broken scaphoid injury is making me worried.

I wouldn't have gone and looked it up if you hadn't made such good sense, T-shirt!

I don't know anything about this website (who can trust a webpage these days), but it has some more details on this injury type, some of them sobering.

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp04013.htm

Why did the Finns release him,was it similar to Willie McGinest situation,too much of a contract for a guy that age?

T-ShirtDynasty said:

This potential move says more about Beisel not getting it, IMO. I was surprised that BB started Gardner and Davis in the first game rather than use Beisel and Gardner, Davis etc...and yes Beisel has been struggling in camp. It has been well documented in the PFW training camp reports.
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=20466&pcid=44
Who’s Not: Monty Beisel – What is God’s name happened to Beisel? The projected starter by many at inside linebacker for the Patriots now finds himself lining up next to undrafted free agent Freddie Roach in the second half of a preseason game. Beisel did miss some practice time last week but he was obviously healthy enough to play in the game because he was on the field for a majority of the third and fourth quarters. One play, in particular, against the Falcons epitomizes Beisel’s performance in New England thus far. Falcons backup receiver Kevin Youngblood caught a pass across the middle and Beisel was in perfect position to stop him in his tracks. Instead of laying a good lick on him, Beisel reached up high and brought Youngblood down by the jersey. That allowed the receiver to fall ahead for three more yards. Tackling high was Beisel’s problem last year and it doesn’t appear that he’s broken the habit. Perhaps the Patriots coaching staff was just shuffling things around to get a look at some other players but this can’t bode well for Beisel.

Re: Seau to sign with the Patriots

Lloyd_Christmas said:
Given what we have at MLB now, the injuries, and what is available through trades... I'd say this is a good move

Mark me down as one who thinks he is over the hill, but that doesn't mean he is worse than our other options right now. He was great in his prime and he only has to NOT be the weak link in our defense. I think there is a reasonable chance he can do that.

I think this move puts to rest AJ's post about not being worried about MLB... clearly BB was worried enough to drag seau's skeleton out of his grave and might even pull trigger on a trade with Dallas. I think that says it all.

Not necessarily. Tedy and Brown and Beisel all are sporting injuries and missing time. This signing could merely be in reaction to that short term problem. There arei two easy cuts to make room, Izzo and Davis...

Re: Seau to sign with the Patriots

Seau's retirement speech speaks to his motivation:

His farewell speech seemed to have an undertone of hesitation at times – like he wasn’t ready to call it quits. “I'm healthy, I can play, and there are teams out there that had interest, but they just didn't need [me]," Seau said. “They wanted me but they didn't need me. I'm not a player that can play by just wanting to play the game. I'm a guy that needs to win and they go hand in hand."

Maybe some of it will rub off where it is needed. Whatever Jr. is able to give us will be 100%. No "lackawanna" here.

its such a good feeling knowing that we have him now

Bah situational player

Handel said:
Bah situational player

Yeah, put him in whenever Monte's balls fade.

Krugman said:
Why did the Finns release him,was it similar to Willie McGinest situation,too much of a contract for a guy that age?
Was he in jail in Finland? ;) Finns are people from Finland, Miami Dolphins are Fins. :D

Krugman said:

Couldn't stay healthy! Seau would have played for less in Miami, the Fins just wanted to get younger and faster.

feelthepain said:
Couldn't stay healthy! Seau would have played for less in Miami, the Fins just wanted to get younger and faster.

Nothing says young and fast like Keith Traylor, Dan Wilkinson, Jeff Zgonina, Kevin Carter, and Vonnie Holliday.

(The oldest Pats DL? The 28-year old Eddie Freeman. After final cuts? Seymour at 27.)

With ages as of Dec. 31 2006, the Patriots' starting defense:

DE - Seymour - 27
NT - Wilfork - 25
DE - Warren - 25

OLB - Vrabel - 31
ILB - Bruschi - 33
ILB - Seau - 37 or Beisel - 28
OLB - Colvin - 29

CB - Samuel - 25
CB - Hobbs - 23
FS - Wilson - 26
SS - Harrison - 34

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bishbash
Jr. Seau + Rodney Harrison = Serious defensive attitude!

Jacky Roberts said:
Yeah, in 1997...

Yeah, and 2006
. . . Vrabel on playing alongside Junior Seau for the first time: ``It was fun playing off of him. I think it's great just to have him, his presence, and his energy and his approach to the game." . . . 8/29/06 Boston Globe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back