PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged x5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude what can possibly be wrong with this signing?

Seau is a future HOFer.

Ok maybe he's lost a step but you know who else the Pats have signed that were old and on the verge of retirement? How about Cox, Phifer, and Ted Washington to name a few. BB managed to get some use out of them didn't he?

Let's have a little faith in BB here. This is a low risk deal that fills a big time need. I don't see how you can get better bang for the buck here if Seau works out for us.

We could be looking at a 4th superbowl and you KNOW Seau will bring the hunger and intensity to the locker room. I bet after 16 years of football his ring finger is feeling AWFUL itchy.

Right now what the Pats need is guys to step up there and hit people in the mouth. Without stopping the running game this team isn't going far.

This is a big time move. And well it deserves the press it's gonna get. I have to admit I'm getting a little hyped myself. But let's see how well he picks up the system. Just crossing my fingers here and giving the newest Patriot addition a warm welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged)

Pats726 said:
who is undersized??? Seau isn't...
I believe he was talking about Izzo and Davis.

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

Was able to find this article about the injury, apparently it started with a calf injury that became a ruptured achilles tendon.

Miami Dolphins Nov. 24th, 2005

Linebacker Junior Seau is out for the season with a calf injury, but said he plans to return for a 17th season in 2006, even if it's with another team. The loss of Seau depletes a linebacking corps missing Zach Thomas, who is expected to be sidelined two games with a shoulder injury. The Dolphins play Sunday at Oakland.

Seau played the past three games knowing there was a chance he could rupture his Achilles' tendon because of the calf injury, which began bothering him in September. The decision to put him on injured reserve was made after he underwent an MRI.

"I played on one leg for seven weeks," Seau said. "Knowing I could have two legs next year, it's definitely something I'm looking forward to."

Whether Seau will return to the Dolphins is uncertain. A 12-time Pro Bowl selection with the San Diego Chargers, Seau, 36, is under contract to earn $2.1 million in bonuses and base salary.

"I'll be back," he said. "It might not be here, but I'll be back."

Seau also finished the 2004 season on injured reserve because of a torn pectoral muscle.

The Dolphins will have different starters at all three linebacker spots Sunday. Derrick Pope will make his first start of the season at weakside linebacker in place of rookie Channing Crowder, who will shift to middle linebacker. Donnie Spragan, who replaced Seau for three games this season, will start at strongside linebacker.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3483170.html

No idea what the recovery time is for something like that.

Last edited:
Re: Seau to sign with the Patriots

RayClay said:
You're actually right, (surprise!), but a desperation move is better than a non move.

There's no doubt Belichick is patching. For whatever reason, BB hasn't seen the type of LB he wants to invest in for the future.

He's passed over some decent players recently, so it isn't like he's not looking.

Guys like Seau and Rodney might help certain players to grow up quicker or grow a pair, (Monty) while BB looks carefully for the future at the position too.

You have to admit, he's been deliberate but quite succesful when he's pulled the trigger, (Vrabel Colvin).

Plus even over the hill he has fire, experience and freakin tackles people which is more than you can say about any of the ILB cnadidates sofar.
Am I right just because you agree with me for once? I don't view it as right or wrong, it's just my opinion. That's the idea around here although some people's opinions aren't generally welcome.

Re: Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Real? (Junior Seau to sign with Patriots?) (merged

thewaylifeshouldbe said:
Was able to find this article about the injury, apparently it started with a calf injury that became a ruptured achilles tendon.
That says he played knowing he could rupture his achilles, not that he did.

If Junior Seau can pass the physical, I am VERY happy about this signing. This signing reminds me so very much of the BRYAN COX signing in 2001. It's possible that the Chad Brown (age 36) injury is worse than reported.

A signing like this CANNOT hurt. Seau provides the vet, "hit 'em hard" leadership to what I think will be the platoon of ILB. (Incidentally, this is the same kind of singing the Browns did when they signed Willie McG. away from us. The only difference being the contract.) You get the right combinations of vets like Seau for a year, and the young guys, like TBC, Mincey and Woods, and you got a decent group. I still think that BB is not done though ... I wouldn't be suprised if he is just waiting for the Cowboys to release Scott Schanle (or someone like him) at the 53 (which they probably will).

I wouldn't be shocked to see this year Vrabel lining up at ILB on some down and OLB on other downs, as BB moves players like Seau and TBC and others in and out of the lineup.

Re: Seau to sign with the Patriots

huskeralk said:
Am I right just because you agree with me for once? I don't view it as right or wrong, it's just my opinion. That's the idea around here although some people's opinions aren't generally welcome.

Why can't you just accept it?

You post enough stuff here that you're bound to be right sometimes.

It's called the law of averages.;)

Last edited:

VJCPatriot said:
We could be looking at a 4th superbowl and you KNOW Seau will bring the hunger and intensity to the locker room. I bet after 16 years of football his ring finger is feeling AWFUL itchy.

awesome point.

that's reason enough to bring him in.

it's what rodney brought to a team reeling from a cathartic 2002 season that was very similar to last year...not that he's quite the physical specimen that RH was three years ago but don't underestimate the "hunger" aspect on a team full of guys who have already won so much. I guarantee you this was a big reason BB is making this move...depth at LB is another;)

it's another option we didn't have before.

Last edited:

Ray Clay, I'm happy BB is addressing the ILB issues. But I don't think he is done yet. Do you think he is waiting for the 53 cutdown or to pull a trade?

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Ray Clay, I'm happy BB is addressing the ILB issues. But I don't think he is done yet. Do you think he is waiting for the 53 cutdown or to pull a trade?

I think he's very selective and has his eye on certain players that might or might not become available.

I can't recall any young LBs picked up except Vrabel and Colvin. The rest have been almost senior citizens in NFL terms.

He hit on both, but only 2 young ones in so many years is strange given his aversion to drafting any.

I did post the opinion that more talent would come from late cuts due to the lack of cap cuts in June and otherwise since teams have plenty of dough.

You have to cut down eventually and their are probably battles for jobs BB is monitoring.

Junior's ultimately a band aid, but I'm glad to have him considering.

If you have an idea what his long term plan for linebackers is, please write it down, put it in a bottle and float it into the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm willing to wait if you know what the plan is.:D

Last edited:

zippo59 said:
What's the story on his injury? I think I was away when it happened so I'm clueless. Where is it and how long is his expected recovery? I realize that the best answers to these questions you can give me will be somewhat dicey cuz its Belichick but I know nothing.

Actually both papers said he broke the scaphoid bone in his wrist.

They inserted a screw and one medical site I read said 8-12 weeks.

The Red Sox Dr. Morgan said a minimum of 6 weeks, while Bruschi said he'll start the 1st game.

Apparently this peanut size bone is difficult to heal because of blood supply and has caused chronic problems for some when not allowed to heal.

It does make it difficult to grab things without pain, so A full recovery is suggested if you have to grab jerseys, (this is my interpretation).

I hope this is fair since I did get into an argument about it. If you want to say 6-12 weeks, I think you cover it if he doesn't aggravate it.

You can say 4 weeks if you believe in Super Tedy, (and who doesn't?:D).

Just read Peter King's account of what happened. Upon further review, I'm sold. I just hope he passes the physical. This is a little like when we went out and traded for Ted Washington in '03. That turned out to be a monumental move. And hopefully this will too. Hopefully it won't leave my boy Pierre Woods out in the cold. I'd love to see him make the final 53.

Last edited:

RayClay said:
I think he's very selective and has his eye on certain players that might or might not become available.

I can't recall any young LBs picked up except Vrabel and Colvin. The rest have been almost senior citizens in NFL terms.

He hit on both, but only 2 young ones in so many years is strange given his aversion to drafting any.

I did post the opinion that more talent would come from late cuts due to the lack of cap cuts in June and otherwise since teams have plenty of dough.

You have to cut down eventually and their are probably battles for jobs BB is monitoring.

Junior's ultimately a band aid, but I'm glad to have him considering.

If you have an idea what his long term plan for linebackers is, please write it down, put it in a bottle and float it into the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm willing to wait if you know what the plan is.:D

LOL

As far as a youth development, maybe its just me, but at OLB it would sure be nice if TBC entrenched himself as startable on the field this year. (ps I watched TBC in college.) A nice young 26 year old starting OLB would sure be nice. If he doesn't pan out this year, I guess we have Mincey and Woods coming up the ranks.

Last edited:

RayClay said:
Actually both papers said he broke the scaphoid bone in his wrist.

They inserted a screw and one medical site I read said 8-12 weeks.

The Red Sox Dr. Morgan said a minimum of 6 weeks, while Bruschi said he'll start the 1st game.

Apparently this peanut size bone is difficult to heal because of blood supply and has caused chronic problems for some when not allowed to heal.

It does make it difficult to grab things without pain, so A full recovery is suggested if you have to grab jerseys, (this is my interpretation).

I hope this is fair since I did get into an argument about it. If you want to say 6-12 weeks, I think you cover it if he doesn't aggravate it.

You can say 4 weeks if you believe in Super Tedy, (and who doesn't?:D).

My guess: 8 weeks. Which would mean he would miss the first two games (he broke it about 6 weeks before the season)

Edit: yeah, he broke it July 31st. 6 weeks would be the opener.

Last edited:

PATRIOTS-80 said:
LOL

As far as a youth development, maybe its just me, but at OLB it would sure be nice if TBC entrenched himself as startable on the field this year. (ps I watched TBC in college.) A nice young 26 year old starting OLB would sure be nice. If he doesn't pan out this year, I guess we have Mincey and Woods coming up the ranks.

All you can ask for is an opportunity. Damn if this ain't a wide open chance to make your mark. OLB less so, but TBC has the job to lose as I see it, (backup).

I did like Mincey and Woods myself Friday, but I can't fall in love with these guys.

May the best man win, but I want to see them work for it.

More talent and more competition I say. If these guys don't make it, they can't say they didn't have a shot.;)

BelichickFan said:

Pete's got his age wrong. According to nfl.com he was born 1.19.69 which would make him 37. Maybe he's a young 37.

As recently as 2003 he played in 15 games and never played fewer than 13 games his entire career before '04.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when BB made that phone call.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
My guess: 8 weeks. Which would mean he would miss the first two games (he broke it about 6 weeks before the season)

I imagine when he can grab an OLineman and shove him away without pain he's done.

I think it's one of those little bones like in your foot that might never heal properly if they don't heal the first time.

In other words, you'd have a one armed linebacker out there so what's the sense.

Dr. Morgan did say a minimum of 6 and he means completely healed. The web site said 8-12.

I think Bruschi will be on the lower end, but we do have a bye after game 5 so if he's still tender, maybe they use the extra week.

if you guys are talking about Bruschi, (i dont want to read through all the posts) what makes you think he can't play with a cast like every other linebacker that injures their wrists?

edit: on second thought, we're playing the Bills and the Jets the first two weeks, take all the time you want Bruschi, haha.

Last edited:

Underoath said:
if you guys are talking about Bruschi, (i dont want to read through all the posts) what makes you think he can't play with a cast like every other linebacker that injures their wrists?

edit: on second thought, we're playing the Bills and the Jets the first two weeks, take all the time you want Bruschi, haha.

He could, but apparently the schaphoid fracture makes it difficult to grip things which is key for an LB. I'm no doctor (though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes