PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush to Houston means what to D. Davis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep_FLA

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If the Texans take Bush as expected it will take a really big cap hit to sign him.... I wonder if they will be shopping Dominic Davis....... I like a proven NFL back over draft picks in the RB position...... I am simply not thrilled with taking a RB this year at all really..... Day 2 I hope and late! :rocker:

After they pick Bush, they'll shop him around to other teams. I predict he goes to San Francisco for their 3rd round pick.

If they select Bush they will NOT shop around Davis. Atleast for a couple of seasons or whenever his contract is up. They want to bring Bush in slowly (if they select him) and not just throw him to the beast which is the NFL.

2 schools of thought there....... I wonder. Might be interesting........:rocker:

Feep_FLA said:
2 schools of thought there....... I wonder. Might be interesting........:rocker:

I would tend to agree with the school that says if they draft Bush, they would keep Davis for a season or two and bring BUsh along at a developmental pace...

Davis is a proven stud NFL runner.

Davis can give you 2-3 strong seasons, while mixing reps with Bush (which keeps them both healthier) and then waive him when Bush is ready take over full-time.

It's a compete "win-win" situation for the Texans...

ADPF

Fair enough, but if Bush bursts onto the scene quickly look for them to be shopping Davis to the highest bidder around week 6.

I think they'll keep both players for several seasons. Gary Kupiac successfully utilized multiple backs for years in Denver. Plus, Bush is such a 2 way threat that you can line him up wide in a 2 back set. Think of a offense of Bush, Davis, Johnson, Moulds and Putzier.

stinkypete said:
I think they'll keep both players for several seasons. Gary Kupiac successfully utilized multiple backs for years in Denver. Plus, Bush is such a 2 way threat that you can line him up wide in a 2 back set. Think of a offense of Bush, Davis, Johnson, Moulds and Putzier.

Speaking of Kubiak, it will be interesting to see how effective his running offenses are now that he doesn't have the Denver Broncos Alex Gibbs "University of Offensive Line" at his disposal!

Gibbs (despite his nasty propensity for actually teaching the "chop block") built such an impressive legacy of offensive line prowess in Denver, and the perpetuation of that system and the indoctrination of those lineman has continued even after his departure.

They made great running backs out of sometimes just average talents - Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns, Tatum Bell - all members of the "1000 yard club".

(They haven't been able to work the magic on Cedric Cobbs yet! LOL!)

One writer in Denver once called them the "Insert Running Back, gain 1,000 yards" offense!

That credit goes to Gibbs, not Shanahan.

Kubiak might be in for a wake up call in Houston!

I always felt Kubiak was overrated. He kept his job because he was "John Elway's buddy"!

Now we'll find out!

ADPF

Last edited:
I got a letter into Patriots News Weekly a few weeks back saying exactly the same thing, that Davis becomes expendable after the first pick this April... "Angry" Andy Hart fired back "What's so great about Domanick Davis," rattled off wrong off-the-cuff stats, and basically said he's always injured anyway. Eh well.

Davis is a good back, catches out of the backfield well, and basically is a dual threat kind of guy. Plus, he can get you touchdowns, a la you-know-who. (PS Corey, you jumped the shark. Nobody believes in you. We thumb our noses. Yadda yadda yadda you know the drill.)

But the Davis question (from Houston's point of view) will be determined by cap logic, in my opinion. It comes down to what Davis makes, because Bush gets number 1 number 1 money - so unless Davis is playing on the cheap, seems unlikely you keep him on the top of the depth chart. He's looking for a comeback year - he's not Priest Holmes or Marshall Faulk, with his best years in the rearview mirror. I think he wants to be number 1 somewhere, rightly believes he deserves decent money, and therefore is a liability to the Texans at a time when they have multiple holes to fill, and, like everybody, a salary cap to consider (especially if they don't want David Carr to disappear into a linebacker-covered hole in the turf of Reliant Stadium.)

Just my .02,

PFnV

Interesting post, PatsVA, good food for thought. The only reason I brought up Davis is I am wondering if the Pats will look for a veteran to bring in as apposed to drafting one........ Not sure we absolutely need a RB either way for the next season. I am really hopeful that Corey's gonna come back with a vengeance.

Feep_FLA said:
If the Texans take Bush as expected it will take a really big cap hit to sign him.... I wonder if they will be shopping Dominic Davis....... I like a proven NFL back over draft picks in the RB position...... I am simply not thrilled with taking a RB this year at all really..... Day 2 I hope and late! :rocker:
I suspect Davis will get more carries than Bush next year and in the future...hes not a horse so much as gamebreaker...Im thinking 15 carries a game at most while returning kickoffs and making catches out of the backfield...projects to be kind of a super Meggett by my estimation

I would be shocked if Houston let David go. You rarely ever see the featured job handed to a rookie. On top of that there is big question whether Bush can be an every down back, and in addition for him toreally be versatile he probably needs another true handoff back lined up with him. The true threat comes from Bush lined up in the slot and Davis in the backfield, because the D can't discount the possibilty of a handoff to a capable back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick