PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant requires second foot surgery--impact Edelman return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harper's knowledge of the playbook puts him in a realistic position to actually contribute, should it come to that.

While Hankerson may/may not have better talent (he probably does), he had absolutely zero knowledge of our complex system. He was very unlikely to contribute anything this season, and I always viewed him as a guy who was being evaluated for a potential futures signing.

Agree but hasn't it come to that already? Whether it is because of injury or something else, LaFell has not been able to contribute (1 catch vs Jets). Harper got on the field for 17 snaps but was not able to get on the stat sheet. With all the injuries, Harper should have an opportunity again Sunday. If he can give us anything, now is the time.

It most certainly does.

How many wide open deep passes has this team missed this year? If those misses are to what you refer then I agree.

What many think though (and what I was replying to) is that the Pats don't have anyone on the roster that can extend the opposing defense and get open to the 20 yd plus range in the passing game...hogwash.

Agree but hasn't it come to that already? Whether it is because of injury or something else, LaFell has not been able to contribute (1 catch vs Jets). Harper got on the field for 17 snaps but was not able to get on the stat sheet. With all the injuries, Harper should have an opportunity again Sunday. If he can give us anything, now is the time.

Sure, I think one could argue that a guy like Harper should see some additional looks, but that's probably only if they've completely given up on LaFell and/or both top WRs aren't playing. I'm just too skeptical as to whether someone like Harper could realistically contribute at this stage in the season, at least on a significant enough level.

As to what's happened to LaFell? One can only speculate, although possible injury, poor chemistry on the OL, and the loss of the WR threats likely have something to do with his poor play. I also think there's been poor balance not in the playcalling, but in terms of having an adequate rushing attack, so that may factor into making things even more predictable. Honestly, I see our poor rushing attack as a huge obstacle to overcome moving forward, so let's hope they get that going soon.

We could have Julio Jones running deep go routes on every single play but it wouldn't make any difference because the o-line cannot hold up for more than 3 seconds without the short and intermediate passing game also being a threat.

A lot of truth in your post.
Provided the expected good health returns for the POs (which seems likely) the OL is our sole Achilles heel and is likeliest to be the cause of any potential demise. While one could also point to the soft running game we have more than proven we can get by with that weakness. But there is no way around our SB chances being significantly affected by what the pass blacking can or can't do.

I believe the PO outlook for us is very good. Look around the league and you'll see no team with 'I don't know if we beat them' status. We have secondary-pass rush-playmaking LBs, we have P and K, and we have a target rich passing game headed by the master himself TFB. And if the pass blocking is simply just adequate we'll be scoring decently to above on any D this season has to offer (and we'll be decently limiting any O this season has to offer - Arizona the noted concern on O).
Bottom Line PO outlook: It is what it is -- as goes the pass blocking so goes our very good SB chances.

How many wide open deep passes has this team missed this year? If those misses are to what you refer then I agree.

What many think though (and what I was replying to) is that the Pats don't have anyone on the roster that can extend the opposing defense and get open to the 20 yd plus range in the passing game...hogwash.

Gronk is the only "deep" threat this team has, and he's obviously not what you generally look for in such a player. We go through this nonsense every year, with at least one person/group or another pretending that there's a real, legit middle-deep guy on the roster. Unfortunately for Brady, and for the offense's ability to loosen up the safeties downfield, that hasn't been true since Moss left.

Gronk is the only "deep" threat this team has, and he's obviously not what you generally look for in such a player. We go through this nonsense every year, with at least one person/group or another pretending that there's a real, legit middle-deep guy on the roster. Unfortunately for Brady, and for the offense's ability to loosen up the safeties downfield, that hasn't been true since Moss left.

What is the criteria for a deep threat if a team has one, but he's just "not what you generally look for"? So Gronk is the canadian of the bacon family or something?

I think many others feel it has to be a 6'3"+ outside WR who costs tens of millions in cap room.

My only criteria is can anyone on the offense get behind the safeties - whether via speed or scheme - at least once per game to demonstrate capability at all levels. If said person happens to be a TE - it's the results that matter. No one yet has refuted this team has had guys wide open at the third level all year, but has hit on very few for reasons other than breaking past the safeties.

Boat. Floats. Whatever.

Pretty certain that it is, Andy. All reports were that it was the 5th metatarsal, which is referred to as a "true Jones fracture." I believe it's the same injury that Bryant had, although there are likely some different variables that go into the equation just the same.

Julian Edelman’s return uncertain after breaking foot against Giants

In BB we trust :)
That is my point though. How accurate is the reporting? How would they really know. Unless Edelman told him laws don't allow anyone else to. And only one tweet in what you posted said that.
Just saying we are speculating about the severity of an injury with almost no real verified facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can quit the debate of whether he should play or not in this game because Edelman did not make the trip to Miami.

Can quit the debate of whether he should play or not in this game because Edelman did not make the trip to Miami.

I'm glad. This guy won't be 100% in the playoffs. Give him another 2 weeks to let that bone heal up and get the supporting muscles stronger. Win 2 games and he gets another week off.

What is the criteria for a deep threat if a team has one, but he's just "not what you generally look for"? So Gronk is the canadian of the bacon family or something?

Don't be more ridiculous than need be. Gronk's a comparatively slow moving TE.

Also, if this team had players running wild deep, they'd be putting up 60 points a game.

Let's hope we get a weak opponent in the divisional round so he can get in the field and get game ready for the afccg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be more ridiculous than need be.

Tis my schtick - as my substance isn't often substantial I at least hope the word play garners attention.

I at least know no one else here, nor in the media, is going to equate Gronk to back bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back