PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi on tap: Lions vs. Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The best, as usual:

Bruschi on Tap -- New England Patriots need more than just Tom Brady - ESPN Boston

Lions played like the game meant something. Watching the Lions, it was obvious that this game meant more to them than just getting better and having a dress rehearsal in Week 3 of the preseason. It reminded me of a preseason game we had with the Carolina Panthers in 2004, the season after we beat them in the Super Bowl. It was the third preseason game that year, and the Panthers really wanted to prove a point because they felt like they should have won the Super Bowl.

There were a lot of fights, a lot of pushing and shoving. The difference was that it wasn't just one side doing the pushing. We wanted to prove to them that it wasn't a surprise to us that we won the Super Bowl, so we pushed back. There was almost a fight on every play and it was probably the most heated preseason game I had ever been involved with.

Last year, the Patriots beat the Lions on Thanksgiving in a game in which the Lions didn't have quarterback Matthew Stafford, so they felt like they weren't at full strength and had something to prove this time around.

Outstanding work, again, from Bru. I had intended to start a thread last week about his excellent piece from the Tampa game, but never had the time (I was in fact on the Cape that week visiting family).
Bruschi on Tap is an absolute Must Read after every Pats' game.

The Loins last night came to play, came to win, and came to hurt. It was obvious from the start;
heck, it was obvious before the start.
The Mayo-Chung failure to communicate was spot-on, as was this line:
"You don't want to become a team where you play your best football with a lead."

Last edited:
Did Tedy just call them out and say they were the colts?
You don't want to become a team where you play your best football with a lead. So in a sense, having a week like this in the preseason is probably just what the Patriots needed. Going into Cleveland last year, they needed that game to bring them back to earth.
Hard to argue based on that small sample (last 3 losses).

Still, I don't think we've seen everything the pats plan to do. I think the RBs will be a stronger this tear than in years past and can give tom that break against over aggressive defenses.

Last edited:
Perhaps Bill realizes this and that is why he drafted two RB's as well as a new tackle this season. Unfortunately we have yet to see what the young backs can do. No offense to Benny...but he is what he is. You need a guy who can move the pile and you need a guy who can turn the corner and break away so teams have more than Brady to worry about. Woodhead gashes them here and there because of his tenacity and escapability, but he's more a guy who annoys the hell out of a D than one that scares it. Similarly they need to find or settle on (Edleman if he can stay healthy) a return man who gives opponents nightmares and sets the team up in excellent field position more often than not, something we didn't have the other night...and really haven't had since the much maligned EHIII departed.

And you need to figure out a way this OL which is more athletic and talented and bigger than ever can deal with pressure defenses. Seemed to struggle with both interior and exterior pressure vs. the Lions. It was almost as if putting Light in there to knock the rust off triggered a regression to the norm...and by the time he left it was too late to reset the tone both because they were also down a starting RG and Detroits DL was feeling empowered. I didn't like the way Light looked on the sideline after they pulled him. Almost that holy ****, what was I thinking look... He's had slow starts and then worn down the last couple of seasons. I really think if not for the lockout Bill might have moved on even at the risk of it being a year early...

I think Chad is slowly discovering it's not just about learning the offense and the secret signals here and developing route timing with Tom here. He looks gut punched... It's like dreaming all your life of coming to the Bolshoi after being the lead dancer with the Cincinnati Ballet...and finding out they all dance better. I think that became Randy's problem after the shock and awe season. He almost didn't have a role if he wasn't the #1 target in a scheme where everyone has a role. Would he try to find someone to block...most of the time. But his heart was never really in it because he was unique receiving talent as opposed to a football player. Guys like Welker and Branch and Woodhead are on a mission at the snap whether that mission is to be the guy or sell yourself as the guy or somehow facilitate the play so someone else can be the guy...

I do think part of the problem the other night was we were working on stuff whereas Detriot was focused on winning. Those are coaching choices. This also isn't the kind of veteran team Tedy was part of. There are only a handful of guys left from that era and only two with multiple rings... It's a young team where lots of starters are still trying to establish themselves and several of it's veterans are recent rentals who don't have history here and are also trying to establish themselves. I saw BOB gather the troops (OL and receivers) on the sideline at one point and just scream at them. They looked disengaged like perhaps they'd have preferred to be screaming back and knowing they couldn't they were just taking their medicine...

I also hope it doesn't hurt this season to carry that 3rd QB who wouldn't clear waivers who will be inactive every week.

I left the game after the 3rd qtr.

The Lions announcers actually did come out and use the "their Super Bowl" analogy. The game was also hyped big time in the Detroit area.

What I would like to know is what exactly was BB trying to accomplish. They never blitzed. The offense seemed to be constantly 5 wide. The pace was unbelievably slow. Personnel were also being constantly shuffled.

The Lions telegraphed that they wanted this to be a statement game. They wanted to come in and show the world they are for real.

The Pats came in like it was the second playoff game with more vanilla stuff on defense than they showed in Tampa and trying to work on their long passing game on offense.

I did get flashbacks to the Bengals game in 2004, but I am a little hesistant to say it is the same thing. The 2004 Patriots was a more veteran team with many guys with the hardware already and knowing how to fight through it. I am a bit concerned what this will do to some of the younger guys especially the CBs who all the but McCourty showed last year that their play is night and day depending on how confident they are. Bulter and Arrington could go into a funk just as much as stepping up. Luckily the Pats don't need either guy as much as they did last year with Bodden back. And Butler may not be back this season.

Last edited:
The Lions telegraphed that they wanted this to be a statement game. They wanted to come in and show the world they are for real.

The Pats came in like it was the second playoff game with more vanilla stuff on defense than they showed in Tampa and trying to work on their long passing game on offense.

I did get flashbacks to the Bengals game in 2004, but I am a little hesistant to say it is the same thing. The 2004 Patriots was a more veteran team with many guys with the hardware already and knowing how to fight through it. I am a bit concerned what this will do to some of the younger guys especially the CBs who all the but McCourty showed last year that their play is night and day depending on how confident they are. Bulter and Arrington could go into a funk just as much as stepping up. Luckily the Pats don't need either guy as much as they did last year with Bodden back. And Butler may not be back this season.

The other thing that was puzzling was the many "dipsy doodle" type moves Brady was making.

This snippet upsets me the most. Why didn't the Pats push back with the same ferocity as the Lions? I swear, ever since they became this arrogamt juggernaut, they have lost that mean edge, that chip on their collective shoulders. G-d, I miss Rodney.

Well

It was pre-season.

I was also at the Thanksgiving game. People seem to forget that that "blowout" actually had the Patriots well behind in the first half. You want to play hard but it's simply foolish to get players hurt in the preseason.

The only thing to be concerned with in this game is if the staff actually had a "gameplan" and that is what they came up with to counter the Lions front.

What I would like to know is what exactly was BB trying to accomplish. They never blitzed. The offense seemed to be constantly 5 wide. The pace was unbelievably slow. Personnel were also being constantly shuffled.

Going back to look at the game, I realize that there were a lot of one on one matchups so the emphasis was clearly on player evaluation rather than winning the game, but that still doesn't excuse the subpar performance.

This snippet upsets me the most. Why didn't the Pats push back with the same ferocity as the Lions? I swear, ever since they became this arrogamt juggernaut, they have lost that mean edge, that chip on their collective shoulders. G-d, I miss Rodney.

Big Al will bring a lot of fight, good and bad. Relax

Going back to look at the game, I realize that there were a lot of one on one matchups so the emphasis was clearly on player evaluation rather than winning the game, but that still doesn't excuse the subpar performance.

I'm not excusing the subpar play. However, play also has to be viewed within a scheme/gameplan context.

The offense had good pace against Tampa. On Saturday, it was so slow, there was hardly ever any motion. Brady was dipsy doodling. The defense never blitzed. How about some screens, draw plays, hurry up? Blitz Mayo once?

Evaluation and working on specific things is important. However, I don't know if it's appropriate when the other guy wants to make it a "statement" game.

I am not discouraged at all by this Lions game. It was simply a case of the Pats not being ready for the physicality of the Lions, a normal part of preseason acclimation. As far as individual performances, my thoughts:

1. I though brady stood in well to intense pressure, he should be ready mentally for season opener unlike 2008 when he was sleep walking after not playing in preseason.

2. #93 DE put some nice heat on the QB Shaun Hill at the end of the 1st half, that is key, defensive pressure in 2 minute drills, I think this augurs well for things to come, 2 minute pressure is something pats haven't had years.

3. Solder played well other than that one glaring pressure that led to interception. He was very athletic, you can see him quickly processing information and attempting to apply his techniques. IMO He was the best O-lineman on the field for Pats.

4. BJGE: solid unimaginative runner. Never fumbles, but I would like to see Ridley, who appears capable of making plays out of nothing. If that is true, he is just the kind of player to take the sting out of an overly aggressive defense like the Lions, or Baltimore, or the Jets, come playoff time, after he has time to mature into the offense. The running back position being what it is I expect Ridley will get his carries, I hope sooner rather than later.

5. McCourty looks a bit sluggish, but seemed to be snapping out of it a bit, I think being beaten is healthy for him after all his accolades. We know how good he can be, a little humility is healthy.

6. D.Butler is playing better. He chased down the running back that broke free on the screen play, he was competitive on a number of passes, yeah he got beat a few times, it's the NFL. Key point is he was more physical, more aggressive. He should make the team.

7. If you notice on Stafford's lollipop throw completed against the blitz in 2nd Q Mayo clocked him under the chin. He went on to complete that drive for a TD, played one more lackluster series, and then was pulled before halftime.

The excuse was that he had "done all he needed to". I disagree. A 2 minute drill before halftime is vital training time for a young, unproven QB. Stafford was pulled because the Pats were starting to blitz, and Detroit got worried about their fragile QB. Stafford appears to be their strength, but is actually a weak point on the Lion team, as the past two seasons demonstrate.

8. Not really concerned about Branch, I believe they don't want him to get hurt this preseason, so Brady's not even looking at him.

9. Trouble with Chad is he is so emotional he may go into a mental slump if he doesn't feel some early success. However, I believe by season's end, for the playoffs, he will be a weapon, when we really need him.

10. I believe Pats are intentionally all but ignoring Gronkowski in the preseason, in an effort to downplay how central he will be to their attack this season. A little preseason deception from BB.

Last edited:
I'm not excusing the subpar play. However, play also has to be viewed within a scheme/gameplan context.

The offense had good pace against Tampa. On Saturday, it was so slow, there was hardly ever any motion. Brady was dipsy doodling. The defense never blitzed. How about some screens, draw plays, hurry up? Blitz Mayo once?

Evaluation and working on specific things is important. However, I don't know if it's appropriate when the other guy wants to make it a "statement" game.

We actually did blitz Mayo once, and he ended up giving Stafford a good pop right after he released the ball... of course the ball ended up falling into Calvin Johnson's hands (I think) because McCourty wasn't looking for it.

I really think our defensive problems Saturday were entirely about coverage. Very rarely did Stafford hold the ball for more than a few seconds. We didn't blitz much, but it wouldn't have made a difference because there was always a receiver open right away for Stafford to hit.

No one in the secondary or LB's played well in coverage and it showed.

I left the game after the 3rd qtr.

The Lions announcers actually did come out and use the "their Super Bowl" analogy. The game was also hyped big time in the Detroit area.

Actually, I think what BB was doing was experimenting to see what would happen IF they didn't blitz much.

Game 2 was clearly a test of the defensive line. Our line was so dominating that we didn't at all test the secondary.

Game 3 was a test of the secondary. By holding off on the rush and front pressure, we got to take a clear view of the state of our secondary and pass defense. We failed miserably.

So, I'm not that concerned come regular season because game 2 showed us when we use front-4 pressure we can be dominating. In fact, personally, the performance of this last game gives me hope that "bend and break" is dead forever. Our defense proved that we still break. I look forward to us becoming a major attacking defense now.

We actually did blitz Mayo once, and he ended up giving Stafford a good pop right after he released the ball... of course the ball ended up falling into Calvin Johnson's hands (I think) because McCourty wasn't looking for it.

I really think our defensive problems Saturday were entirely about coverage. Very rarely did Stafford hold the ball for more than a few seconds. We didn't blitz much, but it wouldn't have made a difference because there was always a receiver open right away for Stafford to hit.

No one in the secondary or LB's played well in coverage and it showed.

Actually, I thought Butler played pretty well. Also, McCourty was with the receivers Johnson/Burleson on their long catches. He didn't really play the ball. He did get more aggressive later.

I'll have to back and check Mayo out. I have to admit I watched the Johnson McCourty matchup on the play.

The underneath stuff wasn't particurly inspiring. Fletcher would certainly help there.

I guess I was expecting a build on scheme/ game planning from the first two games and it was the exact opposite. Paying money, driving and expecting to see some cool blitzes and getting the opposite is a bummer.

10. I believe Pats are intentionally all but ignoring Gronkowski in the preseason, in an effort to downplay how central he will be to their attack this season. A little preseason deception from BB.

Actually I think they have just been trying to get Hernandez more involved and in sync with Brady. They know what they have in big Gronk! :D

Actually, I thought Butler played pretty well. Also, McCourty was with the receivers Johnson/Burleson on their long catches. He didn't really play the ball. He did get more aggressive later.

I'll have to back and check Mayo out. I have to admit I watched the Johnson McCourty matchup on the play.

The underneath stuff wasn't particurly inspiring. Fletcher would certainly help there.

I guess I was expecting a build on scheme/ game planning from the first two games and it was the exact opposite. Paying money, driving and expecting to see some cool blitzes and getting the opposite is a bummer.

You're right, I actually was fairly encouraged with Butler's play as he never really got burned, just couldn't quite make plays on the ball most times. He (and McCourty) did have some nice breakups though on occasion.

As for the scheme, it is frustrating to watch for sure when they go vanilla. The crazy homer in me says it's a BB method to keep egos in check and evaluate one on one matchups. The realist in me says we plain got our butts whooped.

Either way, if we play that simple in the regular season, I'll be concerned. I don't see that happening though.

Evaluation is far more important than winning a practice game.

Playmaking leaders going forward

I have thought this all along, and Bruschi simply is stating what we all know around here, we are still in the marker for some playmaking leaders. Who is around to step forward and grab this team by the throat when it needs it. Our championship years had a few. Games like last game provide the opportunity for players to some to the front and lead. The role is void and needs filling.

In my opinion, Brady took on that role, reluctantly, after a lot of those guys left. Yes he in on the bench against the Steelers yelling at the offense. IMHO he prefers to go out and make plays and not necessarily lead. He is a leader in as much as he leads by example, through his play and work ethic.

I mean look at Seau, they took him in. BB clearly realized that the team needs these type of people.

How do we take these kids from standing in the huddle to standing OUT in the huddle, standing OUT on the sideline, standing OUT in practice.

This teams needs that transition plan for players the coaching staff feels can fill this critical role.

Am I way off base here as always...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore