PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browner's penalty negating McCourty TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
he wasn't DEFENSELESS.....and shoulder to shoulder hits are legal.

bad call ..... case closed

1) Clearly you do not understand defenseless
2) clearly all the case closed crap means you know you are wrong, or just need to grow up. Pick one.

1) Clearly you do not understand defenseless
2) clearly all the case closed crap means you know you are wrong, or just need to grow up. Pick one.

no...YOU don't understand DEFENSELESS, but that doesn't stop you from your narrow point of reference.

typical know-nothing know-it-all

The rules current say the hit is illegal, unless you consider a few inches from the head to not be the 'neck area' which would be hard to argue.

It's easy to argue, as follows:

The shoulder is a body part separate from the neck, and Browner hit the shoulder only. If he had hit something in the border area between the neck and shoulder that would have been in the neck area. I think he clearly hit the shoulder.

Whether this was a penalty or not, this sends shivers down receivers the league over.

I will take that...short term pain for long term gain

It's easy to argue, as follows:

The shoulder is a body part separate from the neck, and Browner hit the shoulder only. If he had hit something in the border area between the neck and shoulder that would have been in the neck area. I think he clearly hit the shoulder.
The shoulder is connected to the neck. If the shoulder isnt in the 'neck area' what is?
Your argument implies only the neck is in the neck area. If so the word area would not be included.

Thats not realistic though. You can't review every play and every call.

you can when it's a personal foul.

it's about getting it right.........that wasn't right

let coaches use their replays .... why not let them use replays for anything?

no...YOU don't understand DEFENSELESS, but that doesn't stop you from your narrow point of reference.

typical know-nothing know-it-all

Defenseless is defined in the rule book:
Article 7: Players in a Defenseless Posture. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(g) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter);
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 8(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession);
(8) A player who receives a ―blindside block when the offensive blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and
(9) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2);
(10) The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick.

Please explain how you conclude he was not #2, bolded.
Or do you just want to argue and tell people who don't agree with your uninformed opinion that they are stupid?

they need to consider reviewing plays like this...especially is a score is involved...

you can when it's a personal foul.

it's about getting it right.........that wasn't right

let coaches use their replays .... why not let them use replays for anything?
Replays for holding? Pass interference?
You just said that judgment calls that are wrong should be reversed. There are judgment calls on every play.

Besides this one would not have been reversed. Browner is sadly probably going to be fined.
What he did should be legal, in my opinion, but it is not, in the NFLs opinion.

Defenseless is defined in the rule book:
Article 7: Players in a Defenseless Posture. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(g) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter);
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 8(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession);
(8) A player who receives a ―blindside block when the offensive blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and
(9) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2);
(10) The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick.

Please explain how you conclude he was not #2, bolded.
Or do you just want to argue and tell people who don't agree with your uninformed opinion that they are stupid?

who said he didn't have time?

he had plenty of time, he was just busy bobbling the ball....he took 4 steps after the ball first hit his hands.......he was capable of defending himself.....he had plenty of time

http://fat.gfycat.com/FlatNimbleBlowfish.webm

from both angles...I cannot see why this is a flagged offense

16520823-mmmain.jpg

???????????????????????????????????????????

brownergates.gif

Replays for holding? Pass interference?
You just said that judgment calls that are wrong should be reversed. There are judgment calls on every play.

Besides this one would not have been reversed. Browner is sadly probably going to be fined.
What he did should be legal, in my opinion, but it is not, in the NFLs opinion.

who said every play? how many replays does a coach get during the game?

it was the wrong call that cost the pats a touchdown..........not getting it right makes no sense at all

he won't be fined.........more likely there will be an admission that they got it wrong

who said he didn't have time?

he had plenty of time, he was just busy bobbling the ball....he took 4 steps after the ball first hit his hands.......he was capable of defending himself.....he had plenty of time

You are kidding right? He had not completed the catch. You have to complete the catch before you have time to defend yourself.
Your own words show you are wrong.

who said every play? how many replays does a coach get during the game?

it was the wrong call that cost the pats a touchdown..........not getting it right makes no sense at all

he won't be fined.........more likely there will be an admission that they got it wrong

I have said at least 3 times that they should adopt the college rule of reviewing every hit to the head. That way they can call it liberally and have it reversed if they are wrong.

I have said at least 3 times that they should adopt the college rule of reviewing every hit to the head. That way they can call it liberally and have it reversed if they are wrong.

I disagree....I think letting the coaches use their challenges to question flags thrown in order to get it right would be the right way.....

what you're proposing is to have the refs flag every other play and then go look at the replay? it'll work if you move the 1pm games to noon and 4pm games to 5pm

http://fat.gfycat.com/FlatNimbleBlowfish.webm

from both angles...I cannot see why this is a flagged offense

16520823-mmmain.jpg

???????????????????????????????????????????

brownergates.gif

Because the rule says that you cannot hit a defenseless receiver in the neck area even with your shoulder.
As you just showed with incontrovertible evidence the should exactly makes contact with the neck, right up under the chin.
If Andy Johnson wrote the rule book this is a textbook hit.
The way the rule book is written, this is an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver.
The rule has already been posted in this thread. I have no idea how anyone could dispute this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back