PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sign Aqib Talib

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major problem with Talib, is his BAD HIP that ALWAYS acts up when you need him the most. In the playoffs!

But don't worry folks, we'll have plenty of cap space available when Chase Rettig takes over for Tom Brady down the road.

Broken record much?

Obviously, Elway is going "all in" for the limited time left that he has Peyton Manning, which is very smart. They've been favored in like 30+ games in a row and are coming off of a record setting year in a ton of categories. Anyone who didn't see DEN loading up and attempting to do everything they could while they still have Manning is in denial.

Wow, that's impressive. 30+ games in a row being the favorite and a record setting year in a ton of categories. That must've been one great parade the City of Denver threw for them after the Super Bowl.

How the **** can Denver afford him with both Thomas and Miller going into contract years. This better not be the year Talib stops getting injured in the playoffs...

The problem with this deal is that the Broncos have to be sure that they have yet another cornerback to plug in for five or six games when Talib takes a shot to his hip. That is not an injury that gets better with more strength conditioning.

The other problem with this deal is its length and guarantee. Talib does not have to be on good behavior to land a big deal, much less stay in the NFL. We all knew Belichick and Kraft took a flyer on Talib after his summer of chasing his sister's boyfriends around the neighborhood with a gun.

This is okay. The Patriots are better off not compromising their cap and depth for a player that carries out-sized risk.

He laughed his ass off?

Im not gonna overreact but heres a undeniable fact. Broncos have talib and we dont.

Tell me how that makes.us better? The numbers shouldnt matter and anyone who.says is making excuses.

Its a ugly trend watching the pats let their best players walk and.have zero.superbowls to show for it with the money they supposedly save .

As others in here have mentioned, this is very much the same strategy that got Denver and Elway those 2 titles when he was retiring. They mortgaged the future at the tail end of a HOF QB's career, cheated a little, and have 2 Lombardi's show for it.

They drafted all their best offensive players (Davis, Smith, Nalen, Sharpe - the first three were still on rookie contracts I believe) and their best defensive players (Atwater, Pryce, Crockett, Mobley, Braxton, Tanuvasa).

They didn't really buy their team in free agency - Neil Smith is the only player I recall who was a big name free agent on those squads. They got some excellent play from journeymen like Ray Crockett, Keith Traylor, Darrien Gordon, and Ed McCaffrey.

So sure, they 'mortgaged the future' insofar as they gave some of their veteran studs who had been on the team deals that expired after the 1998 season but they didn't acquire those players in 1997 to give Elway one last push, either.

They were mediocre the following year but that had more to do with Brian Griese than anything.

He laughed his ass off?

Im not gonna overreact but heres a undeniable fact. Broncos have talib and we dont.

Tell me how that makes.us better? The numbers shouldnt matter and anyone who.says is making excuses.

Its a ugly trend watching the pats let their best players walk and.have zero.superbowls to show for it with the money they supposedly save .

You think we should have paid Talib that much?

He laughed his ass off?

But but but we're so much smarter than everyone else! Don't you understand! Who needs talent when we have Kyle Arrington ready to man the outside!

They are idiots just like the ones who said Welker was. Just like the ones who said Branch was when he signed with the Colts for a week. Anyone who says a player is a traitor for leaving for a better deal is an idiot.

Welker didn't actually leave for a better deal. But he THOUGHT that was what he was doing, and his agent misread the market. So he's covered by your sentiment.

I bet he doesn't give 2 turds what they're paying him and his first thought was "dayum, the Donks just got a lot better...."

You are comedy gold.

9 years/$57 million, $26 million guaranteed for a guy with a degenerative hip condition and who couldn't finish the playoffs 2 years in a row, and you are jumping off bridges.

Ask your doctor to increase the prescription.

Sure wish we would do the same....

but don't worry, folks, we'll have plenty of cap room available when Chase Rettig is under center in Foxboro.

That makes no sense. I would never advocate mortgaging your future when you have Tebow. But when you have one of the best QB's of all time - like both NE and Denver do - it's not a bad idea.

But don't worry folks, we'll have plenty of cap space available when Chase Rettig takes over for Tom Brady down the road.

Are you honestly in denial over the fact that:

1) Denver was the better team last year, and
2) Since that AFCCG, Denver has gotten better and we have gotten worse

...?

Well like I said... we'll have plenty of cap space available for the Chase Rettig era, and all Denver will have is a couple of Lombardi's.

As others in here have mentioned, this is very much the same strategy that got Denver and Elway those 2 titles when he was retiring. They mortgaged the future at the tail end of a HOF QB's career, cheated a little, and have 2 Lombardi's show for it.

Not me. I never once thought they would win the Super Bowl last year.

200805280724.jpg

Nice thing about Revis' bucs deal is they can cut him at any time. Really price though. Can't see them trading for him unless Revis will cut down to 12-13mill.

If I made it my sig, would you be happier? The only thing is, I doubt it applies to other posts in other threads.....

They drafted all their best offensive players (Davis, Smith, Nalen, Sharpe - the first three were still on rookie contracts I believe) and their best defensive players (Atwater, Pryce, Crockett, Mobley, Braxton, Tanuvasa).

They didn't really buy their team in free agency - Neil Smith is the only player I recall who was a big name free agent on those squads. They got some excellent play from journeymen like Ray Crockett, Keith Traylor, Darrien Gordon, and Ed McCaffrey.

So sure, they 'mortgaged the future' insofar as they gave some of their veteran studs who had been on the team deals that expired after the 1998 season but they didn't acquire those players in 1997 to give Elway one last push, either.

They were mediocre the following year but that had more to do with Brian Griese than anything.

Oh, and that great team didn't prevent the 96 Broncos from getting upset by a recent expansion team in the playoffs. Who then got beat by a team that probably shouldn't have been there. Who had a chance at winning the Super Bowl... until a kick returner sealed it.

It all comes down to luck. Well, somewhat.

Nice thing about Revis' bucs deal is they can cut him at any time. Really price though. Can't see them trading for him unless Revis will cut down to 12-13mill.

Well according TO JLC he would love to play in NE, if thats the case he better throw 16mil a year out the door cause its not happening.

But we don't have a 5th round pick. We traded it for Isaac Sapoaga. :bricks:

No, but the Patriots have two 6th round picks. Belichick traded a 5th for Sopoaga and a 6th which is just 25 picks further down the board.

What team will offer Revis the most money?

That is the team he will go play for

I literally don't even know how Talib's agent and Elway get to talking about numbers that big. Elway must have come across as seriously desperate in those negotiations.

Wow, that's impressive. 30+ games in a row being the favorite and a record setting year in a ton of categories. That must've been one great parade the City of Denver threw for them after the Super Bowl.

I didn't say they won their final game.

It's just like the opposing fanbase claims the same thing to those who point out our continued success by competing at a high rate every season because we didn't win the last game.

We all know what happened vs SEA in the final game as the Seahawks gained momentum near halftime, but I wouldn't exactly claim that DEN isn't in a pretty good place on both sides of the ball.

The thought of continuing upon that success is only natural if you're leading the front office. Why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me? Let's call it like it is. They've been one of the more dominant teams in the NFL since Manning came there. Now, they've made a strong push to continue upon that success. Why wouldn't they try to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes