PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer goes back and forth on Hernandez failed drug test count

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media in China just confirmed that everything in China is OK.

I'll let you know if there are any changes.

SMY has just reported that Adalius Thomas feels slighted by the Patriots.

I'll let you know if there are any changes.

Everything in China is still OK.

After Breer "outed" Hernandez failed drug test(s), he planted a seed, and that was the time to walk away.. instead he chooses to play a sophomoric game that in reality means nothing..

The journalistic integrity in this town sucks, and the tendency for oppositional reporters with obvious vitriol for BB has never been more apparent... live and let live.

Why did he leave Dallas?

Maybe instead of going out to collect more rumors, he should have gone and actually verified his story with facts. The point is that adding rumors dosen't add validity.

Then again, who cares. I didn't care about Moss smoking. I didn't care about Faulk smoking. I don't care if this kid smokes.

Everything in China is still OK.

Watch out Patjew..........China just lifted their 20yr ban on people with AIDS or HIV(don't drop the soap in the shower!):eek:

Re: Breer goes back and forth on hernamdez failed drug test count

This is the problem with journalism in general today, not just Breer. There is such a rush to get the story out before you are scooped, you don't dot all your "I"s and cross all your "T"s. Breer obviously didn't have the whole story when he ran it, but he wouldn't be the first reporter to do this and certainly won't be the last.

I do think many in the media have gone overboard in their criticism of this offseason (granted many of them went overboard in worshiping at the alter of Belichick in prior years). I think Breer falls into that category, but getting this story wrong and going overboard are unrelated in my mind.

It all depends on the editor. A lot of times a reporter will reveal his sources to the editor. If the editor feels they are credible, they run the story.

The point is you don't go around making accusations unless you are sure they are true. Second, I personally don't accept "unnamed sources" because there is no way to verify them. He could have made up the sources for all we know, or the sources could be as weak as it gets and he is just trying to make a story where there isn't one.

It simply comes down to poor journalism. There is so much crap going on in sports, let alone the US or the world, and the best thing he can think of writing about is a College kid getting busted for pot? I'll read his "work" and listen to his opinions when he writes about something that matters. I pay more attention to a fly on my wall than this hack.

It's not poor journalism.

If a newspaper repeatedly trots out poor information using anonymous sources, then it will lose reputation. But anonymous sources are pretty common, especially since even whistleblowers are protected by federal law (supposedly). Remember, the Deep Throat-Nixon story has been the gold standard for how journalism should be conducted for a few decades now.

That being said, the latter part of your point about sports journalists making a fuss about a college kid and marijuana, I think it's a good one. If you're directly accusing someone of something like drug use, then really it shouldn't be anonymous.

The following paragraph is exactly what's wrong with Boston writers:

So have the Patriots kept pace with the Jets, who seem to be going all in this season, knowing they have too many big-money contracts coming up in 2011 to not slip backward? The Jets’ secondary was already strong and is improved with the acquisition of Antonio Cromartie and drafting of Kyle Wilson. Adding them to Darrelle Revis, Dwight Lowery as the dime back and a new pass rusher in Jason Taylor gives Rex Ryan the ability to go after Brady in even more overloaded ways, which is never good.

This is Borges. After multiple paragraphs spent belittling the Patriots for signing old vets and questioning the play of other Patriots, he credits the Jets for Cromartie and Jason Taylor. Heck, even Dwight Lowery as a dime back! How are the Patriots going to compete with that???!!!

Gee I remember on this board, how Albert Breer was so loved on this board, everyone thought he should have replaced Tommase, now he gives his opinons, and everybody rolls on him... Breer is a good solid reporter, as is Tom Curren ...

Gee I remember on this board, how Albert Breer was so loved on this board, everyone thought he should have replaced Tommase, now he gives his opinons, and everybody rolls on him... Breer is a good solid reporter, as is Tom Curren ...
As I said earlier, THIS isn't THAT Breer. Few here like rumor mongering and bullsh!t. We liked Breer's Tale of the Tape.

Albert - if you're reading this, quit being as ********* and give us a Tale of the tape on Jermaine Cunningham. That, Sean, is the Breer I missed (and still do miss), this Tomase look alike isn't that Breer. Sorry.

The following paragraph is exactly what's wrong with Boston writers:

This is Borges. After multiple paragraphs spent belittling the Patriots for signing old vets and questioning the play of other Patriots, he credits the Jets for Cromartie and Jason Taylor. Heck, even Dwight Lowery as a dime back! How are the Patriots going to compete with that???!!!

AND.....they thought about signing David Terrell(retired).

DarrylS said:
After Breer "outed" Hernandez failed drug test(s), he planted a seed, and that was the time to walk away.. instead he chooses to play a sophomoric game that in reality means nothing..

The journalistic integrity in this town sucks, and the tendency for oppositional reporters with obvious vitriol for BB has never been more apparent... live and let live.

Actually the mediot mindset in this town is screw you, I gotta live... because I chose to persue my dream and enter a dying field and it's so freakin' competitive just to cling to the employed fringes via interweb and radio these days you aholes have no idea...

Bill used to go easy on this kid and his half baked analysis because he was earnest and hardworking and making an effort to elevate himself above the embittered kneejerks who surrounded him. Of course once upon a time he felt the same way about Felger who had access and was spoon fed insight. Sadly it's never enough, and as peer jealousy festers and competitive pressure increases on them to deliver and egos get bruised, it becomes every man for himself. Ever notice how they all increasingly take veiled shots at Reiss even as he attempts to walk a fine line...while maintaining both access and integrity.

Tomase had multiple sources. In fact he verified his story with another unnamed source he unequivocally trusted before he ran it and then despite denials by everyone in the organization who would have known, including in writing and to the commissioner under penalty, he stuck to his guns until the day after the story was totally debunked by the assclown around whom the whole fairytale was spun. People wanted desperately to believe it because John is a tremendous reporter in their opinion and they had heard the same whispered tale from multiple sources themselves and had it been true it would have likely cost BB his career...and been a career launcher for John.

Tom E. Curran, at the time a national writer for NBC.com courtesy of his perceived insight and access while with the Pro Jo, who had staked out the oddball opinion that Cassel would not be tagged until he was - after which it was clearly to retain him as insurance - had impeccable sources telling him that Brady's surgery was a cluster**** and he'd probably miss the opening of the season if not worse because he didn't get the best care available. That tale was rather quickly debunked, but Curran had become so invested in his opinions he went to the mat to defend himself rather than admit he didn't have a clue...or a source worth a dime anymore.

There is a reason, with the exception of Tomase who apparently had limited aspirations to begin with, why these guys careers are becoming circular at best and going backwards at worst. Pressure from jealous peers, demanding employers, their own ambition. They resent the hell out of Bill and this organization because of their discipline and refusal to cave to pressure. Bruised egos looking for vindication. Felger has never gotten over Holley penning Patriot's Reign.

Welcome to Boston draft class of 2010. Keep your heads down or on a swivel. Follow Belichick's lead. He will always have your back. He's the guy who writes your check. No media member will ever be your friend unless you're on the way out anyway. And then they'll grease the skids to repay you.

Last edited:

Neither are reporters any longer. They're columnists and mediots, paid to have opinions designed to garner web hits and ratings. One reason for that is survival instinct. The other is loss of access. A consequence of adopting their own whatever it takes to win/survive mentality. The same thing they resent in Bill. The sad thing is he really doesn't resent them because unlike them he's not a hypocrite, he accepts it is what it is.

this just in...my unnamed sources tell me Bigfoot has been spotted at a Haymarket watering hole....he was seen drinking Sam Adams from a hollowed out tree trunk and smoking "stuff". I'll have more on this breaking "news" as soon as more of my "unnamed" sources check in....story at 11

Last edited:

What's wrong in voicing admiration for someone when they do a nice job and being critical if they do something that brings down their credibility?

Last edited:
Re: Breer goes back and forth on hernamdez failed drug test count

It all depends on the editor. A lot of times a reporter will reveal his sources to the editor. If the editor feels they are credible, they run the story.

That was the argument Tomase's support group made when defending him, blame the editor. I always thought Tomase's source was a fellow mediot. My sneaking suspicion was it was believable on Tomase's behalf because that mediot worked inside Gillette where guys are presumed to have access they can't capitalize on. Of course one of them eventually got the axe...

my sources inform me that Tomase has a new job selling cars...

draft_lens2210058module11916329photo_1223337908junior-samples-hee-haw.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents