PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer goes back and forth on Hernandez failed drug test count

Status
Not open for further replies.
after listening to him tonight, Deus, I STILL think he made up that second set of "sources" and I think his statement that "I have even more sources but I'm too busy to run them down right now" is a transparently flimsy attempt to downplay and ignore an obvious firestorm that's sprung up. It is also VERY possible that the first THREE "unnamed sources" are G.M.'s that have an axe to grind with the Patriots or in direct competition with the Pats. I've read through his tweets at the time just before he broke this "story" and there's mention of communication with the G.M.'s of the NY Jets,Indianapolis,Arizona,Houston and Cleveland yet nothing with the Dolphins or Buffalo. When one considers the past and the most vocal and vitriolic team representatives on record castigating the Patriots, you have four of the five listed right there AND the fifth, Cleveland, has a GM that was leading the vanguard in the press as he worked in Seattle.

In today's NFL, I suspect EVERY team is going to almost any lengths to get a leg up on the competition, and disinformation, misinformation and outright lying are considered de riguer in the current climate.

One thing seems sure...this story is FAR from a resolution.

P.S. I apologize for that "personal attack", OK? Can you get by that horrible affront long enough to answer the question asked?

Last edited:
Yeah Albert, we're sure you pursued this story because of your drive to learn THE TRUTH. A regular Bob Woodward. Of course there's no chance you did it to further your own career while dragging a kid's reputation through the muck.

What a pathetic existence.

I couldn't believe not only his tone but the almost ludicrous analogies to Ricky Williams and Pac Man Jones...I hope that segment is archived on 98.5,PJ...when you hear it your jaw will drop to the floor...he's not saying this is about a kid who's fudging on the number of times he's tested possible for weed...he's saying this is a huge, covered up problem and the kid is going to most certainly get penalized in the NFL and do great harm to the Patriots.

I listen to a lot of radio during the week and you hear all kinds of outrageous stuff from time to time but THIS guy spoke almost off the cuff like "oh, it's a major problem and a huge issue that will hurt the Patriots in the future, just like Ricky Williams...and Pac Man Jones..."

Has ANYBODY heard or read ANY sports writer or radio personality compare this kid to Ricky Williams??? Nevermind Pac Man Jones...I mean, where the eff is THAT coming from???

I'm not going to listen to it. I've read enough of it and I don't want to give the loser any more hits. God I hate the media in the northeast US.

Just In.....

The Patriots have agreed to allow Hernandez to wear a different helmet and design this season and will still be easily spotted on the field along with changing his name to Highnandez for at least the 2010 season

PSU%20weed%20helmet.jpg

However,This request must go through Goodell first.

Last edited:
I guess he'll also be wearing # 420.

Goodell will fine the Patriots 5 million dollars and make them forfeit their entire 2011 draft for using a GREEN leaf on the helmet

Re: Breer goes back and forth on hernamdez failed drug test count

Breer had a story. He was at least partly correct. There is a claim that he was wrong about there being more than one failed test, so he went back and got more sources to verify/contradict first article, and he's gotten further verification as a result.

That's actually good work on Breer's part.

Unless in fact the approach he should have taken was simpler and didn't require sources, just facts already on record - like the ones this guy cites.

The reality is, a student-athlete at the University of Florida would not have the opportunity to fail multiple drug tests, based on the school's substance abuse policy, without missing massive playing time due to suspension and jeopardizing his or her career.

According to the policy, a first positive test results in additional testing and drug counseling.

A second positive test would result in a suspension for 10 percent (one game) of the season and mandatory counseling. A third would cost an athlete 20 percent of the season.

Testing positive for a fourth time would result in a suspension for 50 percent of the season.

A fifth positive test would mean an immediate one-year suspension, with the chance to seek reinstatement at the end of the suspension.

Hernandez missed only one game in his three years at UF - the 2008 opener against Hawaii - but there was no indication from UF that he was suspended for failing a drug test.

Had Hernandez failed "multiple" drug tests, he would have been suspended for numerous games over his three-year career.

If Hernandez failed multiple drug tests at Florida, it is not reflected in his playing record. He played in 40 of the 41 games the Gators played in his three years at UF.

Hernandez refutes Boston Globe story | Gatorsports.com

This author also includes an example of a player currently in the league, drafted by Denver, who was suspended multiple games for multiple infractions and finally dismissed by Meyer for simply not attending his drug counseling sessions.

Seems Florida has a pretty clear cut policy on suspensions where multiple violations occur as a result of multiple failed drug tests. Hernandez only missed one start in three seasons under Meyer. Had he done what Albert's anonymous sources claim, he'd have missed at least half of if not an entire season and missed numerous games along the way to those suspensions. Given those facts Breer was a complete tool to publish what he did. At worst this kid could have failed two tests (first one is a warning, second is a one game suspension). However he says he only failed once and that's entirely possibly since the ONE GAME he missed is not identifiable as a drug suspension and could have been the result of any of a number of other scenarios including anything from being injured to breaking some other team rule like being late to a meeting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST