PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Speaks: "I have three kids. I take care of them. Not the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its O.K. guys,chill.Now we get to watch his dumb ass lose or get hurt.Ahhhh ............bad karma will slowly get all this years traitors........:bricks:

BelichickFan said:
Sure it makes sense.

A guy making $40K vs. $80K really is talking about standard of living and the future of his famiy.

A guy making $32M vs. $39M is talking about ego, ego and nothing but ego.
You could not be any more right. This was not about money, it was about ego and perhaps some unknown grievance with the team.

maverick4 said:
Well that is unfair, in my opinion. If you were at a company, and were secretly interviewing at a bunch of places, and a co-worker asked you flat out if you were looking, what would you say?

It's just different for pro athletes, because they have the media in their face all the time, and ANY response will generate some sort of crazy news for millions of people.

We really can't understand what it's like to be a pro athlete with funny money being thrown around, and paparazzi media in our faces all the time.

Unfair? Be a man...period. Don't hide behind your wife and kids like another poster said. I'm a firm believer in your word is your bond....if Deion can't keep his word than to me he isn't much of a man....pro athlete or not. He not only DIDN'T keep his word he then played to whoa is me card while talking about milllions of dollars...now why shouldn't the average joe be upset by these comments? His comments to me just emphasize the point he deserves any grief he gets for chasing the $$$, if he had honored his contract and didn't say these stupid things then fine I would not have a thing to say....but how hard is it to say he wanted money instead of he has to take care of his kids while we are talking about the Pats "shortchanged" him with a 36 MILLION DOLLAR offer? Yes Seattle "suppossedly" has offered 3 million more but how is it structured....maybe it is a much better deal....but still don't insult us with statements like this and there is no way anyone can take this as anything but. He knows he makes obsene amounts of money and I can't believe because he lives in such a priovilaged world you are defending him for making such a statement because we don't understand what its like with the "funny money" being thrown at him.

Bella*chick said:
Whatever, Deion, fine. You take care of your kids, not the Patriots, good for you.

I hope you understand that the Patriots first priority is the PAtriots, and not your kids. That's the way it works, pal.

Now shut up and go away.

Ouch! I like it! :D

pats1 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

If this "wasn't all about the money," Deion, then what the hell was it about?

What a crock of crap. The whole piece was about it being about the money and then he ends with THAT statement. Take your hypocritical arse to Seattle and enjoy the rain, schmuck. I've always been a Deion supporter, but that statement infuriates me.

Deion has already demonstrated that he is less than an honest individual. The young man flat out lies. 'I will not hold out' ... 'I will honor my contract' ...yada yada yada. All you guys can debate the meaning of his words, whether he's sincere about it being for his kids, or the hold out not being about the money, or his passion for the game, or whatever. Personally, I can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, so the debate is meaningless.

The way I look at it, we somehow managed to get a first round draft pick for a guy that never caught more than 5 touchdowns in a year, and a guy that did not want to be on this team. Happy ending, and good riddance to a surprisingly low-character guy (yes, I consider being a man of your word paramount to how your character is judged).

I feel better now. After reading this thread I'm not as mad as I thought.

I don't think much of Branch anymore. I'm glad he got his money (I believe one of his children has a very serious medical issue that could run thru even a rich persons finances over time.

I do know that if he had agreed to sign one of the pats deals, say the 3yr 19M pkg, if he got hurt yesterday, he may have gotten no more than the 4M in bonus and min salary due this year. If it was a career-ending injury, the Pats could cut him and get off the hook for less than 6M of that deal. Now Deion has, what 14M guaranteed that the team cannot take from him, even if he gets decapitated next time he steps on the field. That is a very smart play for him and his family. Why would he care about my feelings for him? I wouldn't.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
The way I look at it, we somehow managed to get a first round draft pick for a guy that never caught more than 5 touchdowns in a year, and a guy that did not want to be on this team. Happy ending, and good riddance to a surprisingly low-character guy (yes, I consider being a man of your word paramount to how your character is judged).

Right, but if you were looking for another job and an acquaintance at work asked you if you were looking, you would still tell him/her 'no'. For Branch, it was the same thing, except his statements were broadcast or printed to millions of people. How is what Branch did any different from a leaving player who says 'I wanted to stay here, but management didn't want me'? That player is also a liar, because he was chasing money and tried to spin it was well.

Just let Branch go. We got a great deal for him and he got what he wanted as well. No need to paint him into a conniving, dishonest, villain.

As someone else posted, what the heck does he mean by this? Will we actually get the scoop in wRONgs column tomorrow? What was his 'main purpose'???

"‘‘To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money. Money’s always involved because this is a business. They let you know that from the first day you come into the NFL. But to go through this and stay strong, money can’t be your main purpose.’’

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

I agree this is a business for these guys, no problem with them getting what they can and determining what their priorities are.

I wish they would be honest and just say it was abou the money. I think it is the BS that bothers people.

Basically in my mind Deion has the right to look for more money for him and/or his family WHEN AND ONLY WHEN he has fufilled his obligation to his employer. The rules of the CBA have been in place since before Deion was ever drafted. He could have said "you know what maybe I'll go back to school and get my MBA where I don't have to worry about getting cut." A decision hundreds of thousands if not millions of Americans face every day; "Am I in the right field to support myself and family and am I happy." Deion signed a contract and agreed to abide by the rules of said contract. If he didn't know what that entailed then shame on him and his lawyer(s). Speaking for myself, and that's all any of us can do here, I would never bit*h and moan my way out of a contract I signed in order to make my employer trade me. In fact that isn't an option for 90% of the workforce. You can be canned and have that on your resume the next time you apply somewhere. Basically if I thought I was underpaid I would grit my teeth for another year (and how many of us haven't done that in one job or another) then make my score when I honored my contract. Thinking of my family (and I am a father of 2) I also think about how my actions teach them about life. Deion either way didn't have to worry about money. Last time I checked 1mil for a year should be enough to live for that year. He could score big next year and take care of his financial future. The lesson I'd be scared of teaching my kids in acting as Deion has is, no matter what I might have said/done before I don't have to honor that agreement. If I don't have to do this now what right do I have to expect my kids to honor any promise they have made to me or anyone else. Do as I say but not as I do? Simply put I believe my word has to count for something. If my family was in dire straits then I might have to sacrifice my principles to care for them but I'm sorry I don't see how making 1mil this year with the reward for my good performance being millions more next is putting a strain on anyones family. On this anniversary of 9/11 I in no way can use the "well he may get injured" arguement. Firefighters/policemen/soldiers all put their lives and their families' lives on the line every day not just to entertain us but in some cases to save our and our families' lives. Do they get to just complain hoping they get transfered in order to make more money. No, they can quit and look for another job, just like Deion could do. I'm sure he could have found work somewhere in this country if he didn't like his contract. I know pro sports aren't the real world but I think this is where the anger that we have for these spoiled millionaires comes from. I'm glad he was traded because in the piece he admits he would have sat out until week 10. I'm glad it's over but I think it's natural for people to look at what he's done and be a little pissed off.

Last edited:
patsfan13 said:
I agree this is a business for these guys, no problem with them getting what they can and determining what their priorities are.

I wish they would be honest and just say it was abou the money. I think it is the BS that bothers people.

I agree too. Saying they need to take care of their family or feed their family is dumb and ridiculous but Branch doesn't owe anything to the Patriots or us. If he can get $20 million more from the Seahawks, more power to him.

He got his money and we got a valuable pick. I like it.

BradfordPatsFan said:
I feel that if someone is willing to pay you the money, you take it. No problem with that. However do not throw that kids line in there. I teach and see it every day. I have single parents raising three+ kids in some situations on less than $40k per year. They are doing just fine.

I used to love Deion. I thought he really got it. Then this whole thing happened and the kids line is just the cherry on the sundae.

Deion doesn't have ordinary kids. With the way our health care system is going, it may easily cost a few million or more to pay for one of those kids, who will be uninsurable once Deion leaves the NFL.

I'm not saying he couldn't have done it on $6 million a year, but when you come down to it, he is just like anyone else in his position. I was on his case because I thought his salary demands were crazy. They weren't. Other teams were willing to pay.

Look, I'm not going to bring this up to make a political point, but if you're a Republican and you're bagging on Deion, then you're being a bit hypocritical because the argument that the GOP uses for the death tax is that rich people should be allowed to give their earnings to their kids, whether or not their kids would be just fine without it. It's the same thing. Americans want to pass on riches to their kids, especially when a kid has a debilitating illness.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Sure buddy. That's easy to say sitting on your couch. Get off your soap box. If you were making $70,000 and someone offered you $125,000, I'm sure you would stay put with your "friends." What a big joke.

Screw $70,000, I'd work for free!!!

PatsRI, well said, but I have a different opinion on this whole 'honoring your contract' argument regarding Branch. It seems to me that holding out IS allowed as part of the contract, and the contract stipulates certain penalties for doing so. Similar to how the Patriots can cut any player without paying the rest of that man's contract, I think the players are entitled to any weapons at their disposal, as stipulated under their signed agreements.

I personally believe a man's word and reputation is sacred, but for this situation, all this 'keeping your word' stuff doesn't ring with me. It seems that Deion's move is legal and not 'breaking his word' under the current contracts and rules.

upstater1 said:
Americans want to pass on riches to their kids, especially when a kid has a debilitating illness.

Great point, and I totally forgot about this. Branch ACTUALLY has a kid with a debilitating, expensive disease. He's one of the rare players who can actually use this excuse and that it's legitimate.

Regardless of this fact, my previous points still hold, I think.

This is one ACL injury I'll be looking forward to. Screw you, Leon. Hopefully you realize you are nothing without Brady. Go to hell.

patsfan13 said:

That's what I like about Charles Barkley and such. Say what you really mean, I'll respect it. Keyshawn was honest, he's in it for the money, fine.

(Also: It's a business for both sides, let's not forget that)

Siddiqi said:
Why can't athletes just be honest, my dad has 8 kids and he manages to take care of us just fine with his middle-class income. If he can do it with what he makes, then a guy making millions of dollars can too.

There are a lot of people in America that go bankrupt when their kid has an illness and they have to deal with doctors and insurance. It's not as easy as you think. Yes, Deion is incredibly rich, but you also do a little math here and realize that $30 million (if he ever sees the end of the contract, I doubt he will) gets chopped in half by local and state taxes. Then you have another 10% going to the agent, another going to the union and pension fund, and suddenly you big pay day (if you're lucky to fulfill the contract) is more like $10 million. My grandmother lost about $500k being cared for in a facility for 9 years after she came down with Alzheimer's. Deion's kid might take a few million to care for. It's a tough call the way thing are today.

I generally agree that working stiffs pay top dollar and it goes into the pockets of these bratty millionaires, the players have no right to complain. But in this instance, I really do think Deion was thinking of his sick kid.

Put in proper prospective, this is sport for us, it is a game. For the player, it is their livelihood and their only hope at making serious cash

Remember poor Robert Edwards? He is still playing football, in Canada for the Toronto Argonauts. He is also taking care of his family, the hard way. Deion is one hit away, or one fluke injury away from disaster. It could be the next hit.

He got his money, right now and good for him. He did not get a promise of money come next year, his next check is financial security and I cannot hate on him for that.

It's over, I will miss him and the sport in me thinks this sucks (although, when I see that #1 cashed in for a top LBer or DB I will feel different). The non football side of me ( I did not know I had one) says, take the money and run Deion , good luck buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes