PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Speaks: "I have three kids. I take care of them. Not the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slagathor said:
Borges caught up with him......

......what a surprise......
must be on his speed dial ...anyone who has any grievience vs the pats must be on borges speed dial...odd he didnt interview when seymour was extend..
Tommorow's column will be a big trash job of the pats FO as usual

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Sure buddy. That's easy to say sitting on your couch. Get off your soap box. If you were making $70,000 and someone offered you $125,000, I'm sure you would stay put with your "friends." What a big joke.
Maybe this is why you're articles suck if you are Borges. Because you don't actually take the time to read what people say and understand them. I would try to explain it to you but it's clear that it would be a waste of my time.

Grow up.

Siddiqi said:
Why can't athletes just be honest, my dad has 8 kids and he manages to take care of us just fine with his middle-class income. If he can do it with what he makes, then a guy making millions of dollars can too.
i wish he had said something more -ve of the FO or the team than quoting his family. its so lame when the difference is between 30-40 mill or heck even 30-50 mill and he has to bring his family in the talk.
One thing which always amazes me with the pats , so many people have left the team , not once have they gone out of the way to trash them or release information to defend their actions unlike quite a few organizations might do.they just take the shots and move on.

maverick4 said:
Just let him walk out the door - why do we always have to tar and feather good people for doing what we would do if given the chance?.

Speak for yourself. I can't think of many people who would've acted the way Branch has in recent months. Just tell me, what gave Branch the right to act as he has? To hold a team hostage and ask for money he doesn't deserve, refusing to work for a job he is under contract, and conceeding half a million dollars which could've been used to feed his starving family?

maverick4 said:
All of us could 'get by' on about 10,000 a year. Just basic food, shelter, clothing expenses is all we REALLY need.

No need to crucify Branch. Just let him walk out the door - why do we always have to tar and feather good people for doing what we would do if given the chance?

I agree, but on the same token, as said by everyone...I need to feed my kids. I have a son, I need to feed him, but it wouldn't take me $333K/ child to feed them. Do I disagree with Deion in getting what he felt he deserved, no, not at all. Just don't say to the media that you need more than $1 mil to feed your kid. Joe Burger Flipper (thanks Foulke) doesn't want to hear about Deion needing to feed his kids on his multi million dollar salary. No one wants to hear that, then turn on MTV cribs and see them showing off their house, and their pool, and their cars after they say they need to feed their kids. Go out, tell the thruth that the Pats didn't pay you what you felt you deserved, go to Seattle and try to prove that you deserve it.

maverick4 said:
All of us could 'get by' on about 10,000 a year. Just basic food, shelter, clothing expenses is all we REALLY need to survive at the most basic level. After that it's just all of us trying to get as much as we can. A few of us do take other factors into account, but most do not.

No need to crucify Branch. Just let him walk out the door - why do we always have to tar and feather good people for doing what we would do if given the chance?

Well said. I think most people have way to emotional of an approach. It's like they see this as Deion personally insulting them. Silliness

Siddiqi said:
Why can't athletes just be honest, my dad has 8 kids and he manages to take care of us just fine with his middle-class income. If he can do it with what he makes, then a guy making millions of dollars can too.
Not to pick on you Siddiqi, as your sentiment has been posted a few times here. You are not in the same category as these multi-million dollar athletes. Branch chose to gamble and make more money then the Patriots offered. As members of Patsfans we are basically pro-management, although we get to offer garbage comments and downplay his accomplishments. Some fans say we won't miss a beat, we beat Buffalo and have Chad Jackson! Maybe Chad will be everybit as good as Branch, he might even catch his first NFL pass this year. I'm sad to see Branch go, but I don't really blame him for trying to get the most for his services. I also appreciate the effort and contributions in helping the Patriots to two Superbowls. Of course, some will even argue that point, just as they did with Ty Law. Hope, he has a solid career and continued success, except against the Patriots.

You know, as much as Branch is dead to me (and he is VERY dead to me), I don't blame him if I was in his shoes.

If I have the opportunity to live the life, I would too, I guess. It's kinda easy to justify it... get the big payday, leave one group of angry fans behind... and be embraced by another group.

I know, as a fan, that I hate it when athletes do it, and I crucify them for it. But I have to look at it realistically... 39m vs 32m... that's 7m more.. DANG, that's a lot of money.

I guess I would hate myself if I am an athlete :p

maverick4 said:
All of us could 'get by' on about 10,000 a year. Just basic food, shelter, clothing expenses is all we REALLY need to survive at the most basic level. After that it's just all of us trying to get as much as we can. A few of us do take other factors into account, but most do not.

I'm not crucifying him.

But why do we need to swallow the phony sob stories.

Be a man and say I wanted to get everything I thought I deserved. Don't tell me your family can't get by on another million this year until the 6.25 million the Patriots offered kicks in.

And what happens when he gets to year 3 in his 6 year contract and inflation means he's not real high paid anymore?

Will he be talking about the high price of pampers when he tries to get out of his new contract?

If you can't be honest, then just go. But don't hide behind your wife and kids. Nobody's buying it.

NEM said:
I rarely have felt anger for any player before, in any sport, but this jackass I want to really see crushed... I wish we were playing them this year.

Sorry, I know it is wrong to feel that way, but reading his comments, I want him to be crushed, and quite frankly, I want Chayut to get crushed even more.
I love the NEM of vengenace - I'm with you, buddy.

BigT815 said:
I agree, but on the same token, as said by everyone...I need to feed my kids. I have a son, I need to feed him, but it wouldn't take me $333K/ child to feed them. Do I disagree with Deion in getting what he felt he deserved, no, not at all. Just don't say to the media that you need more than $1 mil to feed your kid. Joe Burger Flipper (thanks Foulke) doesn't want to hear about Deion needing to feed his kids on his multi million dollar salary. No one wants to hear that, then turn on MTV cribs and see them showing off their house, and their pool, and their cars after they say they need to feed their kids. Go out, tell the thruth that the Pats didn't pay you what you felt you deserved, go to Seattle and try to prove that you deserve it.

Yeah, I think one thing I can agree that bothers me is it's not about feeding your family. I wish all athletes could just say 'I got a great offer and took it, you would too and you know it, I had a great time here, and thanks for the memories." You know, don't try to lie about why you went elsewhere. I don't think too many people should have a problem with that.

Another problem is that it appears Seattle has one of the easiest schedules I have ever seen...so the pick may not be very good.

maverick4 said:

Where I live, it costs $10,000 a year to get a health insurance for a family of four. Rent is another $1,200 a month. So you are already looking at $25,000 a year just for health insurance and a place to live. Toss in another $20,000 for food, shelter, gas, utilities, and transportation. You are already lookin at 50 grand just for basic subsistence.

BigT815 said:

Well said. For me, this topic boils down to one thing: football players are meant to be seen and not heard.

maverick4 said:
Yeah, I think one thing I can agree that bothers me is it's not about feeding your family. I wish all athletes could just say 'I got a great offer and took it, you would too and you know it, I had a great time here, and thanks for the memories." You know, don't try to lie about why you went elsewhere. I don't think too many people should have a problem with that.

Ditto.. I have taken other jobs for more money before, and when people asked me, I said "I got a better offer, nothing against the present company"

mikey said:
Where I live, it costs $10,000 a year to get a health insurance for a family of four. Rent is another $1,200 a month. So you are already looking at $25,000 a year just for health insurance and a place to live. Toss in another $20,000 for food, shelter, gas, utilities, and transportation. You are already lookin at 50 grand just for basic subsistence.

I respectfully disagree that 50,000 is the bare minimum (else this country would be revolution right now), but that's beside the point. You get what I am trying to say, though, I hope. After the bare minimum, ALL of us are just going after higher quality of life, whether it be 60k, or 6M.

maverick4 said:
All of us could 'get by' on about 10,000 a year. Just basic food, shelter, clothing expenses is all we REALLY need to survive at the most basic level. After that it's just all of us trying to get as much as we can. It's the same at 30k, 70k, or 6M. A few of us do take other factors into account, but most do not.

I'm not sure where the comparisons came from on the working man and Deions demands...oh right he didn't have any (not counter offer). He did however put his signature on a contract which how I was brought up was just like your word. Then he states publicly that he of course is going to HONOR HIS CONTRACT. Then he doesn't. The Patriots offer him a fair contract that will set him for LIFE. Fine is isn't as much as Seattles offer...has there been any confirmation that the offer was indeed better than the Patriots except from his agent? (of course not counting the year left in his contract that he promised to honor but he and his agent wanted torn up).

I would take more money from another company, but thier are loalty and quality of life issues I value. If however I made a promise, had a contract I would honor it because my word is worth more than money...it apprently isn't to Deion. Thats where I call BS...he could take care of his kids very well on 36 Million.....ok he leaves 3 million on the table. Do I have a problem with him wanting that 3 million? NO, but I do have a problem with him SELLING his integrity for it and THAT IS WHAT HE DID.

maverick4 said:
I respectfully disagree that 50,000 is the bare minimum (else this country would be revolution right now), but that's beside the point. You get what I am trying to say, though, I hope. After the bare minimum, ALL of us are just going after higher quality of life, whether it be 60k, or 6M.

Well, it depends on where you are. Cost of living in city is going to be more than in a non metropolitan area. Where I live a family of three can "get by" on a 50K house hold income, that would not be true in Boston.

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

OK, fair enough. Then why not just be HONEST about it without suggesting that your children's welfare hangs in the balance? We're not dealing with someone here just trying to make a better living, we're dealing with someone who already lives a life of relative luxury looking to increase the luxury factor many times over. Talking about taking care of your kids at this stage makes me wanna puke.

Last edited:
pats-blue said:
I'm not sure where the comparisons came from on the working man and Deions demands...oh right he didn't have any (not counter offer). He did however put his signature on a contract which how I was brought up was just like your word. Then he states publicly that he of course is going to HONOR HIS CONTRACT. Then he doesn't. The Patriots offer him a fair contract that will set him for LIFE. Fine is isn't as much as Seattles offer...has there been any confirmation that the offer was indeed better than the Patriots except from his agent? (of course not counting the year left in his contract that he promised to honor but he and his agent wanted torn up).

I would take more money from another company, but thier are loalty and quality of life issues I value. If however I made a promise, had a contract I would honor it because my word is worth more than money...it apprently isn't to Deion. Thats where I call BS...he could take care of his kids very well on 36 Million.....ok he leaves 3 million on the table. Do I have a problem with him wanting that 3 million? NO, but I do have a problem with him SELLING his integrity for it and THAT IS WHAT HE DID.

Well that is unfair, in my opinion. If you were at a company, and were secretly interviewing at a bunch of places, and a non-friend at work asked you flat out if you were looking, what would you say? This is a similar situation in my mind but with higher stakes and exposure.

It's just different for pro athletes, because they have the media in their face all the time, and ANY response will generate some sort of crazy news for millions of people.

We really can't understand what it's like to be a pro athlete with funny money being thrown around, and paparazzi media in our faces all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back