Who would make your final cut, Branch or Stallworth

• Branch

Votes: 57 38.3%
  • Stallworth

Votes: 92 61.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallworth will win the job if he can prove he can be a reliable and productive kick returner. Otherwise, I think Branch will win the job. Although, I wouldn't be surprised that both get cut if Edelman shows his worth and/or someone comes available that Belichick and McDaniels want. I don't think either Branch or Stallworth are irreplaceable. In fact, I think if the right player is available, both are easily replaceable.

Wow, I really disagree on the "easily replaceable." I don't think we'd see 3 returned prodigal sons (Branch, Stallworth and Gaffney) on the WR roster if it were "easy" to find a receiver who can work in THIS offense with THIS quarterback.

Personally, I'm happy with either as the extra man. I suspect that Stallworth has a lot more physical ability left, and he's the best choice to step into Lloyd's routes if Lloyd goes out. But Branch's plug-and-play mind meld with Brady makes him an unusually reliable option to stick onto the active roster at short notice.

You know when you think about it, its to the credit of Pats fans that we can have such a spirited 12 page debate on who might be the last WR on the roster. Imagine if you posted at thread over at JI on who is going to be cut between Patrick Turner and Eron Riley You'd probably get about 10 posts with half of them asking "who are those guys?" :rolleyes: :D

Take a bow, guys. We are either very good and knowledgeable fans.....or have way too much time on our hands. ;)

Well, some of us vote, read the three pages we noticed, and then reply without realizing that we're basically re-iterating things that have already been posted. (Oops.)

Folks have talked about Branch's plug and play mode, which I have to admit will come in handy if we ever have to use a receiver who has gotten zero reps in practice with Tommy B over the previous 3 weeks.

I have no clue what people see in Stallworth. He has barely been able to hang on to an NFL job since 2007.

Perillo's column on the 27th:

Brady also got the opportunity to uncork some deep balls, too, and completed a fair share of them. Veteran Donte' Stallworth, who is back for his second tour with the team, was the beneficiary of a couple of Brady bombs. Stallworth still can motor despite entering his 10th season, and he appears to be more comfortable in his surroundings than he was the first time around.

"It's pretty much the same as far as the organization as the last time I was here, but me personally I know I've matured as a player, matured as a person," Stallworth said after practice. "I'm a lot smarter now than I was then. More so when I was here the first time at the age of 26 I was playing off of talent. Now I've developed into a smarter player, a better route runner and things like that."

His coach agreed. Speaking at his press conference before practice, Belichick was asked about Stallworth and any changes he's noticed from his one season in New England till now.

"I would say Donte' has really matured a lot since he was here in '07," Belichick said. "He's been a very positive example and influence with what he does on a daily basis but also some of things that he's done with other players on the team. He's shown a lot more leadership and he's a very professional athlete, he really takes his job seriously and acts in a very professional way.

"He's a great example for all of us on a daily basis. I would say that's definitely grown since he was here in '07. He's been through a lot but he handles himself very well and like I said, very professionally. He's a great example for all of us on a daily basis."

One of the ways Stallworth looks to help out now is with the younger players. During his first stint, he was one of the least experienced players on a team full of veterans and received lots of guidance. Now he's paying it forward.

"I just try to go out and help out the young guys as much as I can because I was once that guy," Stallworth said. "Anything I see that they might not notice I try to pull them to the side and help. Little things I've learned in my career here and there. Mainly I try to do things I learned in my career, when I was here in 2007 it was my fifth or sixth year in the league and I was still one of the youngest players on the team. Throughout my career I've picked up a lot of things and learned a lot from those guys. I try to help the way those guys helped me out along the way.

"Like Troy [Brown] told us yesterday after practice, if you're done playing after your first year it's too short and if you play 15 years it still seems too short. I can't believe I've been in the league 10 years already so I tell them to take advantage of the opportunities you're given because you never know when it's going to be over."

=======================

It's very possible it means nothing, or its Miquel Corelone kiss.... but it's also possible it's true. Meanwhile all the write ups on Branch this off season is that he's been very slow - following on to last year - where his last 5 games inc playoffs, or even his entire season after the first two games was meh - at best. Given what a failure Ocho was the opportunity for Branch was clear - and he failed to take it any significant way.

Last edited:
But Branch's plug-and-play mind meld with Brady makes him an unusually reliable option to stick onto the active roster at short notice.
Sounds like a perfect shadow roster candidate.

Sounds like a perfect shadow roster candidate.

Branch wouldn't make it to the shadow roster. Kansas City would pick him up.

Why? The argument for keeping him is his mind-meld with Brady.

Brady does not play for KC.

Why? The argument for keeping him is his mind-meld with Brady.

Brady does not play for KC.

What a shoddy counter argument. Of course Brady doesn't play for K.C. But the Chiefs run a similar system to our's and love their Patriots cast-offs. Romeo will make sure he lands there if he gets cut.

What a shoddy counter argument. Of course Brady doesn't play for K.C. But the Chiefs run a similar system to our's and love their Patriots cast-offs. Romeo will make sure he lands there if he gets cut.
So why didn't they sign him in free agency? They could have easily beat the vet minimum deal the Pats gave him.

Wow, I really disagree on the "easily replaceable." I don't think we'd see 3 returned prodigal sons (Branch, Stallworth and Gaffney) on the WR roster if it were "easy" to find a receiver who can work in THIS offense with THIS quarterback.

Personally, I'm happy with either as the extra man. I suspect that Stallworth has a lot more physical ability left, and he's the best choice to step into Lloyd's routes if Lloyd goes out. But Branch's plug-and-play mind meld with Brady makes him an unusually reliable option to stick onto the active roster at short notice.

We are talking about the #4 WR, not a primary WR. At best, Branch or Stallworth will be Brady's fifth option barring injuries. Based on camp reports thus far and how he played down the stretch last season, Branch may not have much left (although he has been nursing an injury this week). Stallworth fell down the depth chart in 2007.

Either of these guys who make the roster will probably only catch 15-25 balls this season. That is easily replaceable especially if you can get a good kick returner which is one of the things that seems to be still missing from the roster.

That is if Branch would want to end his career in KC. I think he has established his family here full time. If Belichick told him that there is a good chance that he will be back sometime this year, he might rather do that than spending a year on KC's roster.

Perillo's column on the 27th:

Brady also got the opportunity to uncork some deep balls, too, and completed a fair share of them. Veteran Donte' Stallworth, who is back for his second tour with the team, was the beneficiary of a couple of Brady bombs. Stallworth still can motor despite entering his 10th season, and he appears to be more comfortable in his surroundings than he was the first time around.

"It's pretty much the same as far as the organization as the last time I was here, but me personally I know I've matured as a player, matured as a person," Stallworth said after practice. "I'm a lot smarter now than I was then. More so when I was here the first time at the age of 26 I was playing off of talent. Now I've developed into a smarter player, a better route runner and things like that."

His coach agreed. Speaking at his press conference before practice, Belichick was asked about Stallworth and any changes he's noticed from his one season in New England till now.

"I would say Donte' has really matured a lot since he was here in '07," Belichick said. "He's been a very positive example and influence with what he does on a daily basis but also some of things that he's done with other players on the team. He's shown a lot more leadership and he's a very professional athlete, he really takes his job seriously and acts in a very professional way.

"He's a great example for all of us on a daily basis. I would say that's definitely grown since he was here in '07. He's been through a lot but he handles himself very well and like I said, very professionally. He's a great example for all of us on a daily basis."

One of the ways Stallworth looks to help out now is with the younger players. During his first stint, he was one of the least experienced players on a team full of veterans and received lots of guidance. Now he's paying it forward.

"I just try to go out and help out the young guys as much as I can because I was once that guy," Stallworth said. "Anything I see that they might not notice I try to pull them to the side and help. Little things I've learned in my career here and there. Mainly I try to do things I learned in my career, when I was here in 2007 it was my fifth or sixth year in the league and I was still one of the youngest players on the team. Throughout my career I've picked up a lot of things and learned a lot from those guys. I try to help the way those guys helped me out along the way.

"Like Troy [Brown] told us yesterday after practice, if you're done playing after your first year it's too short and if you play 15 years it still seems too short. I can't believe I've been in the league 10 years already so I tell them to take advantage of the opportunities you're given because you never know when it's going to be over."

=======================

It's very possible it means nothing, or its Miquel Corelone kiss.... but it's also possible it's true. Meanwhile all the write ups on Branch this off season is that he's been very slow - following on to last year - where his last 5 games inc playoffs, or even his entire season after the first two games was meh - at best. Given what a failure Ocho was the opportunity for Branch was clear - and he failed to take it any significant way.

Chris Price's column this AM on who is winning the position battles:

Wide receiver: It’s easy to spot the first three receivers: Brandon Lloyd, Wes Welker and Jabar Gaffney. If you’re a Patriots fan, it’s easy to get excited about the prospect of Tom Brady and Lloyd working together, as they have already produced several highlight reel plays. Welker remains his usual dependable self, while Gaffney has also distinguished himself through the first week. That leaves Deion Branch and Donte’ Stallworth (we’re going to assume both Julian Edelman and Matthew Slater make it because of their special teams experience). And while Stallworth certainly had a very good night on Wednesday, getting extra reps with the starters because of Lloyd’s absence, at least at this point, it looks like Branch will be the one to take the final spot.

I haven't seen any reports claiming Branch appears slow. And what he did had no relation to what Ocho didn't as they were playing different positions. Branch seemed to wear down as the season wore on, but that was likely because he was playing a majority of the offensive snaps and probably pushing through some nagging injuries.

patriots - Who is winning the big positional battles at Patriots camp? - WEEI | Christopher Price

So why didn't they sign him in free agency? They could have easily beat the vet minimum deal the Pats gave him.

Not sure. I don't work for either organization so I couldn't tell you. But, I do know that it was pretty obvious that Branch wanted to be back in New England and has verbally said he loved playing with Brady. Kansas City (and Pioli in particular) probably considered it a waste of time. However, if Branch is cut, then there is no tie to New England anymore outside of *possibly* a "shadow roster" spot, which makes it much more likely that Branch, now a guy looking for work, would come to Kansas City to work with Romeo and Cassel.

Not sure. I don't work for either organization so I couldn't tell you. But, I do know that it was pretty obvious that Branch wanted to be back in New England and has verbally said he loved playing with Brady. Kansas City (and Pioli in particular) probably considered it a waste of time. However, if Branch is cut, then there is no tie to New England anymore outside of *possibly* a "shadow roster" spot, which makes it much more likely that Branch, now a guy looking for work, would come to Kansas City to work with Romeo and Cassel.

It's at least as likely Stallworth would be targeted by KC because he actually played on a team Cassel was the #2 for... And they've been dealing with Bowe not reporting. Branch has been pretty clear it's here or nowhere, though.

A long way to go from what?

Just in general. He's working on a bunch of new moves at the same time, so that will take longer than working on just one.

Branch easy. Smart and dependable. I'd like to keep stallworth but he hasn't had a good season since 07(5 years ago!). If you need a clutch catch down the stretch in the playoffs who would you rather be throwing to branch or stallworth? Don't know why Deion is being written off so easily.

Do either of these guys have any value outside of NE?

I.e. if both were cut and latched on to another team, what would be the estimated production? Would they be 25-35 catch guys elsewhere or would they be 55-65 catch guys?

I have no clue what people see in Stallworth. He has barely been able to hang on to an NFL job since 2007.

I agree.

I mean it's not like he's been injured or in prison.

I agree.

I mean it's not like he's been injured or in prison.

Stallworth:

41 receptions in 30 games played since 2007 (projects to 53 receptions in 39 games).

Edelman:

48 receptions in 39 games.

Great poll, tough question.

Brady and Branch are the same heartbeat on offense...the chemistry is insane. Branch is crafty yet probably the slowest receiver on earth at this stage. I'm pretty sure I can outrun Branch at this point. Stallworth is a bit of an enigma--- always looks great in practice, but is he a big-game player that translates his practice success to the field? Not sure, but he made some big plays for the Pats that Branch could never dream of making. Branch and Stallworth both have similar durability issues, so we don't have to worry about who's going to play 16 gms. Since the Pats are set with possession receivers in Welker and Gaffney, I would give the slight edge to Stallworth because he offers more depth to the perimeter.

Branch...unless he gets dinged up in preseason..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes