PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady bashing has officially begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady had all day to throw the ball. He kept taking too long and that cost him the game.

The play I'll remember from this game was when Brady had at least 10 seconds in the pocket on 3rd down, but he wouldn't throw or even attempt a run

He was sacked five times and was under pressure a fair amount too. Granted, this may have been underscored by great coverage by the Jets secondary, but overall the offensive line was a little suspect on Sunday, in my opinion.

From Breer:

"Finally, Scott took a look forward while commenting on Tom Brady's penchant on Sunday for seeing a phantom rusher coming.

"It's not the first time we saw him duck," Scott said. "We saw him duck the last time we were here. Ben Roethlisberger is one of the very few brave quarterbacks who'll stand in there and take a bullet for his team.""

Lefort:

* Defensive lineman Trevor Pryce, who called the game plan “unbelievable”: “I thought [the game plan] was going to work, but I didn’t know it was going to work that well. At the end of the day, receivers run routes, DBs hustle. It’s supposed to be simple. But they found a way to make it as complicated as possible and Tom Brady literally had no answer.”

What was the key?

“I think a lot of the pressure. Shaun Ellis was really getting to him and [Jason Taylor] was getting to him. A football play only takes so many seconds. After your first read isn’t open, now Brady’s shaking his head wondering who’s going to hit him next and he has to dump the ball off. Anytime you can do that to a guy like that you’re going to win.”

Basically what I said. Get Tom frazzled at the speed of the rush, bring it up the middle so he can't step up, do your damnedest to take away his first read, and wait for the mistakes as he panics and doesn't finish his progression or makes a poor throw.

From Breer:

"Finally, Scott took a look forward while commenting on Tom Brady's penchant on Sunday for seeing a phantom rusher coming.

"It's not the first time we saw him duck," Scott said. "We saw him duck the last time we were here. Ben Roethlisberger is one of the very few brave quarterbacks who'll stand in there and take a bullet for his team.""

Lefort:

* Defensive lineman Trevor Pryce, who called the game plan “unbelievable”: “I thought [the game plan] was going to work, but I didn’t know it was going to work that well. At the end of the day, receivers run routes, DBs hustle. It’s supposed to be simple. But they found a way to make it as complicated as possible and Tom Brady literally had no answer.”

What was the key?

“I think a lot of the pressure. Shaun Ellis was really getting to him and [Jason Taylor] was getting to him. A football play only takes so many seconds. After your first read isn’t open, now Brady’s shaking his head wondering who’s going to hit him next and he has to dump the ball off. Anytime you can do that to a guy like that you’re going to win.”

Basically what I said. Get Tom frazzled at the speed of the rush, bring it up the middle so he can't step up, do your damnedest to take away his first read, and wait for the mistakes as he panics and doesn't finish his progression or makes a poor throw.

That does appear to be the blueprint. All the more reason to shore up the middle of the offensive line.

The problem here is it is easy to say things without outlining a reasonable burden of expectation. Brady became a starter in 2001. He missed pretty much the entire 2008 season. That is nine season as a starter. Was he really supposed to win two thirds of the Superbowls played in those seasons? Of course not. This isn't the NBA. It took the best franchise in this sport decades to get the number of championships that teams like the Celtics and Bulls got in an eight year run.

Realistically, they could have and should have won the fourth one - in 2007. They let Eli Manning go clutch on them and it didn't happen. That was the failure. They were the best team in the NFL that year and they blew it. When have they been the best team other than that? Not the year when Brady was throwing to Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell. And certainly not this year when they had a defense ranked at the bottom of the league in terms of third down efficiency and few other key areas.

They won a lot in the regular season this year because of historically mistake free offense and a defense that covered up their lousy play with a bunch of turnovers. That pattern was never going to hold in the playoffs. While statistically impressive, you need to be able to lean on something more dependable than continuing a 9:1 TD/INT ratio and the defense being able to come up with last ditch turnovers. They were not a truly great team this year, they just got one hell of a season from their quarterback. Brady is the least of any possible concerns regarding this team going into next season.

I guess I'll just ask it straight up: how many super bowls do you think Brady should have won through his nine seasons? My answer is four. They had it until they lost it in 2007.

Other than that I can't lament too much on seasons where a team that wasn't the best didn't win it all. This was the fifth season in a row where the defending Superbowl champ didn't a win a playoff game the next year. Nobody is the best year in and year out in this league.

A blind man can see that now if you are playing against the Pats and dominate the LOS on defense and put pressure on Brady he will get jumpy quickly and be off his game all game.

It's a blueprint that will doom the Pats until they get an OL that steps up in January

Rattle Brady and he is no longer cool...he panics

I stiil blame the OL as Brady wouldn't get rattled if his OL weren't cream puffs in the playoffs

Unfortunately thus seems to be true....and OL had better be an area they strongly address in the offseason. That having been said....You don't think sancheese would have crumbled like a cookie if the pats had brought the same pressure that the jests did? We need to address OL and DL personnel that CAN RUSH/BLITZ/PRESSURE THE OPPOSING QB!!....oh and a few WR'S as well...

:mad:
I guess I'll just ask it straight up: how many super bowls do you think Brady should have won through his nine seasons? My answer is four. They had it until they lost it in 2007.

Other than that I can't lament too much on seasons where a team that wasn't the best didn't win it all. This was the fifth season in a row where the defending Superbowl champ didn't a win a playoff game the next year. Nobody is the best year in and year out in this league.

Now that is just silly, you cant work from the end back to the start. He shouldnt have won the first 2.

Maybe Tom Brady just showed he was human.

To expect him to continuously perform the way he has been for the last 8 weeks with a relatively young squad is unrealistic.

The bye week was always going to cause as many problems as it was going to solve them.

When you have a player on such a hot streak, having 14 days between games is huge in terms of keeping the streak going.

There was failures all over the field. The fake punt if it had worked would have been fun to watch but more gimick than beneficial. It cost us dearly. 7-3 instead of 14-3 is huge.

To be honest a lot of you guys dont deserve a record breaking QB, one who did so with a transitional squad of guys.

Arrogance to match the Jets on here at times :mad:

Last edited:
Brady had all day to throw the ball. He kept taking too long and that cost him the game.

The play I'll remember from this game was when Brady had at least 10 seconds in the pocket on 3rd down, but he wouldn't throw or even attempt a run

YES, what WAS that, for christ sakes, tuck it and run if no one is open. Even Bledsoe ran once in a while, just ask Mo Lewis.

Brady played like garbage in the biggest game of the season. The rest of the offense followed him into the toilet. Last night was the first time I started thinking that maybe it's time to move on from him and BB. Yes I know its an over reaction, but I'm pissed. We have all offseason to stew on this loss. He played like crap and showed no guts. The old Brady was low on talent but had GUTS. Where was that last night. He just sat there on the sidelines emotionless. Everyone is saying that in our office this morning.

The Brady bashing should begin. He's the highest paid player in NFL history and he hasn't had a good playoff game since 2007.

Brady played like garbage in the biggest game of the season. The rest of the offense followed him into the toilet. Last night was the first time I started thinking that maybe it's time to move on from him and BB. Yes I know its an over reaction, but I'm pissed. We have all offseason to stew on this loss. He played like crap and showed no guts. The old Brady was low on talent but had GUTS. Where was that last night. He just sat there on the sidelines emotionless. Everyone is saying that in our office this morning.

You cant carry a team on your back for a full season. Its virtually impossible. Sometimes athletes like the rest of us have off days. Not 1 player stepped up and tried to be a leader when witnessing Brady having an off-day. Everybody tried to hide behind Brady instead of standing up to be counted themselves.

People need to remember these guys are human, if the top sport stars always played to the best of their ability then, Tiger Woods would win every tournament, as would Roger federer but they dont. In team sports when the top guy is struggling the rest of the team have to step up. Our guys didnt do that.

We have been pretty lucky as fans in the last 10 years or so. Time to cut a little slack on BB and TFB i think.

In all fairness, we wouldn't have been 14-2 without Brady. But still, that was horrible last night. There is something else that happened beyond the game. He wasn't thinking clearly. What it was, we may never know.

The Brady bashing should begin. He's the highest paid player in NFL history and he hasn't had a good playoff game since 2007.

Much as I hate to agree, this is true. He was flat, looked lost out there. So what if receivers were getting jammed, it's up to him to overcome that, to call the right plays, to throw the ball away when the rush is coming.

Also, and this bugged me last night, he had 3 or 4 opportunities where he could have taken off for 5-7 yards even with a yard to slide. I know its not his thing but the field was wide open a few times to step out and away from the rush

What do you expect when he's completely stunk it up his last 2 playoff games and lost his last 3 against teams with inferior records. If he wants to regain his clutch label he's going to have to win playoff games, plain and simple.

When you get all the credit when your team wins, you're also going to get a lot of blame when your team loses.

Brady is now 0-3 in his last three playoff games for which he hasn't played well in all three games.

He's actually 5-5 since their last Superbowl. Not exactly earth-shaking. I'll still take Brady over anyone that has ever played the position.

Last edited:
Have we become so elitist, snooty, and unrealistic in our expectations for this team that when our star quarterback has 3 subpar playoff games we pin the losses squarely on him?

The NFL is a parity-driven business. Rarely do teams field annual playoff contenders (Pats, Colts, and Steelers have come closest to bucking this trend in the last decade).

How about we all take a step back, realize that TFB can not do it all on his own (no quarterback can), and what a burden it was for him and the coaching staff to carry a young, inexperienced team that is still a year away from replenishing the talent pool comparable to other playoff teams.

Christ on a crutch. Everybody in one guy's office was saying Brady should have had different emotions...

Yeah, you credit a QB with the wins, you blame him for the losses. I get that. And - OMG! - he's lost his last 3 post-season games! ...as, coincidentally, the Pats have as well.

"Hey Tom! Be more magical again!"

Come on guys. Brady gets a big share of the blame for last night. But last night's over. He's got a few more years to get it right again. A few hundred throws w/out an int., and then how does he open up? Yeah. He had an off night on an important stage.

Well, that sucks. Do that less Tom! Win big games more!

That's about all I can say, because it's not like you can trade for a better QB. I'm also not looking forward to the Hoyer era just yet.

Get a grip people. Drink a bloody mary or something. Sometimes the good guys lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3