PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady #4?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this poll win championships?

Unless this was polled before the Superbowl loss, I chalk it up to Superbowl malaise.

Out of every quarterback on that list it was only Brady that got his team to the big game.

Because "he" didn't win it, he loses position to the guys that couldn't even get there.

Hell, it could be worse. Eli came in at #30. When once again (unfortunately) that D doesn't carry the day unless Eli and the offense step up in the final minutes of the game and make OMFG plays...

The players make the same mistake lots of fans and coaches do with these polls. They attempt to rank perceived talent and/or they rely on stats when ranking the best. Only talent and stats aren't the over riding factors in winning championships in this league. They had one clip in one of their run up to the top 10 ads that showed some moron, perhaps it was Suggs - I'm not sure - opining the classic "they went 11-5 without him...". And some clown from Baltimore's D was crowing all week that Flacco was better than Brady in the playoffs. Hopefully someone pointed out to him that Brady was facing his D while Flacco was facing New England's...

And I do think that it was likely NFC players had a stronger voting turnout.

The only logical reason for this is the NFL players are bitter that the Patriots are good. No other reason Brady should be 4 and Gronk behind Graham. :mad:

That argument really doesn't hold water when you consider that Brady was número uno last year. As for the top three quarterbacks, solid arguments can be made for all three. Rodgers for his incredible passer rating (rivaling Brady's 07 campaign), Brees for setting the yardage record, and Brady for besting Marino's yardage record in spite of zero deep threat and dragging the second worst pass defense in a pass happy era to the Super Bowl. I think Brady should be number one, personally. But I can see an argument being made for Rodgers and Brees. Personally, I thought that the top four should have looked like this...

1. Brady
2. Brees
3. Rodgers
4. Johnson

#4 seems pretty reasonable to me considering the seasons the guys ahead of him had. Statistically, Brees and Rodgers had better seasons, so for those who want to make the argument for them it's a pretty easy argument. Calvin Johnson is Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's attitude. He'll go down as one of the greatest players ever.

How sad is it that people are frothing at the mouth that Brady was rated the 4th best player in the NFL? Get some perspective people.

Last edited:
#4 seems pretty reasonable to me considering the seasons the guys ahead of him had. Statistically, Brees and Rodgers had better seasons, so for those who want to make the argument for them it's a pretty easy argument. Calvin Johnson is Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's attitude. He'll go down as one of the greatest players ever.

How sad is it that people are frothing at the mouth that Brady was rated the 4th best player in the NFL? Get some perspective people.
I'd likely lean more towards the 2-3 spot, but all those guys had incredible seasons. After reading this thread you'd think TB was throwing to nothing but JAGs in a hurricane... Do we honestly expect non-Pats fans to come up with over the top rationalizations in order to raise TB above other players that statistically had better seasons?

Yeah, I did. See the post above. If Rodgers played all 16 games with a purpose of racking up stats, he could have racked up more bulk stats, and they'd look very similar to Brady's. Brady's 2007 was transcendent. So was Rodgers' 2011. The Pats' 2007 offense was still >> the Packers 2011 offense though.

That one game vs the jets was with with the worst weather i can recall from recent years(Brady finished 140 yards 0 TD 1 INT 52% 51.5 rating vs 300 yards 3 TDs 0 INT 78% 1st game 146.6 rating) so you can pretty much call equal on that.

2007 Pats also faced a tougher schedule

Brees was beating up ****ty teams for stats late in games this year and i seriously doubt Rodgers felt like letting one go when he was getting owned by the mighty chiefs,he would've definately started if something was actually on the line.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd have chosen Johnson in the #1 spot. I think he's, by far, the most dominant player at his position in the league.

As for Brady, Brees and Rodgers, I'd have to flip a coin.

I'd likely lean more towards the 2-3 spot, but all those guys had incredible seasons. After reading this thread you'd think TB was throwing to nothing but JAGs in a hurricane... Do we honestly expect non-Pats fans to come up with over the top rationalizations in order to raise TB above other players that statistically had better seasons?

Saying that Brees and Rodgers both had more at their disposal than Brady did isn't exactly the same as saying that Brady had JAGs to work with.

The Brady/Rogers debate for #1 is a legitimate one for sure. Brees is a solid #3 only because he plays in a dome for a majority of his game. The only reason I can see that Johnson made it to #3 on this list is that the diva WR's, once again, thinking they are the straw that stirs the drink, voted twice.

Brees is the overrated one. I would have Megatron, Tom, and Rogers at the top in any order, but to me the dome factor more than anything else drove the stats of Brees. There is a reason that in 95% of the highlights shown last night, he is wearing a black jersey. He had a historic season, but it was greatly amplified by playing more dome games in a year than Tom plays in a decade.

I am not saying Brees is bad, but just that he is clearly #4 or lower (perhaps #5, behind Revis?).

Last edited:
If it were me I'd have chosen Johnson in the #1 spot. I think he's, by far, the most dominant player at his position in the league.

As for Brady, Brees and Rodgers, I'd have to flip a coin.

Meh...QB is by far the most important and most difficult position to play. No elite WR deserves to be ranked ahead of an elite QB nor get paid like one.

Same way i'd pick Montana ahead of Rice.

And i wouldn't say CJ is "by far" the most dominant player. Fitz has been playing with rubbish for quite some time now and has been Mr.Consistent and AJ is also in the mix. Megatron's season and the lions season had alot to do with a certain young QB staying healthy.

Saying that Brees and Rodgers both had more at their disposal than Brady did isn't exactly the same as saying that Brady had JAGs to work with.

And stating that Brees plays in a dome isn't exactly the same as saying that Brady spent the season playing in hurricanes. I was hoping it was clear I was using a little hyperbole.

Brees is the overrated one...to me the dome factor more than anything else drove the stats of Brees.

More than his talent and hard work and leadership?

The dome effect is so overrated around here it's not even funny anymore. It's truly sad.

Hey Tom..you are not as good as you used to be, you are a system QB and your window is closing. Without Gronk and Welker we were Wildcard at best. Your slipping.

The arrow is pointing down....
There is one of you in every discussion. Sadly.

I mean, Rodgers went 45 TD-6 INTwith a 68.3% comp and a 9.2 yds/att. His TD%, INT%, Y/A were all better than Brady's 2007 (Brady had a 68.9% comp). Rodgers was an absolute beast last year and is only 28 years old. If Rodgers doesn't sit out at the end of the year, he gets at least 3-4 more TDs (Flynn had 6!). Brady played that 16th game despite locking up the 1 seed to get the TD record. Rodgers arguably had a better season than Brady '07, but it's close.
Not that I'm debating the merit of Rodgers' 2011/2012 (as it was amazing) but it's considerably easier to pass the football in today's NFL than former years. 3 guys over 5,000 yards is a testament to that fact.

Last edited:
Brady can rank last in the league as long as Patriots rank 1st. But unfortunately they still rank 2nd. Where Brady ranks is not meaningful to me.

We still haven't beaten f'ing Eli Manning in two tries!! Man, that is a depressing thought....
:scream:

Last edited:
OMG WHO THE HELL CARES! - YouTube

omg-who-cares

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft