PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger Snubbed in ESPN Safety Poll

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Interesting. Jeremy Fowler ranked him outside the top 10 as an "honorable mention." He had Minkah Fitzpatrick (1), Derwin James Jr. (2), Justin Simmons (3) Budda Baker (4), Jevon Holland (5), Jessie Bates III (6), Kevin Byard (7), C.J. Garnder-Johnson (8), Talanoa Hufanga (9) and Antoine Winfield Jr. (10) all ranked ahead of him.

From the article on the analysis of Dugger:

"Love his ball skills," a veteran AFC executive said. "I typically don't like the big strong safety/linebacker types because they are often limited in coverage, but in this case, I really like the player and how disruptive he is." Duggar has collected 234 tackles and seven interceptions in three NFL seasons. An NFC exec added: "Versatile, tough, smart, excellent tackler."

Definitely feel like he's certainly better than at least a couple of those guys. :rolleyes:

I don't know what to trust anymore. Everywhere you read, they say CJ Gardner-Johnson is a mega star. Then free agency comes and goes and he sits forever alone before taking a ridiculous (for NFL star standards) 6M or something contract. If NFL front offices considered him that good he'd have gotten at least double that amount.

Lots of overrated S's.

Dugger is going to get snubbed because he's too much of a hybrid and not a straight S like the others.

Hopefully he gets snubbed even more. Not only put a chip on his shoulder but increase the chances we resign him.
I'm super curious what his market actually is/will be. He's an incredible player, but he's a safety which historically is not paid highly, and he's not a free safety. I bet his value on the open market isn't as high as we might imagine.

I'm super curious what his market actually is/will be. He's an incredible player, but he's a safety which historically is not paid highly, and he's not a free safety. I bet his value on the open market isn't as high as we might imagine.
So we get him for 5-7 million aav?

Unless he has a monster year making Pro Bowl and All Pro 1st team, it won't be high. He'll probably be retained ala Hightower.

Lots of overrated S's.

Dugger is going to get snubbed because he's too much of a hybrid and not a straight S like the others.
Agreed!! Dugger made and impact the first time he hit the field.. guys a playmaker and budding all Pro type talent..

Agreed!! Dugger made and impact the first time he hit the field.. guys a playmaker and budding all Pro type talent..
Agree. He was also drafted higher than some thought he should have been but IMO that’s because the skillset fits the Patriots better then other teams. He’s not in-the box flashy like Harrison. He’s a solid reliable player that can move around depending on opponent. He may explore options like Chung but if does I predict he will be back within 2 years.

Agree. He was also drafted higher than some thought he should have been but IMO that’s because the skillset fits the Patriots better then other teams. He’s not in-the box flashy like Harrison. He’s a solid reliable player that can move around depending on opponent. He may explore options like Chung but if does I predict he will be back within 2 years.
Yes most definitely.. our safety group is probably all together the best in the NFL.. other teams have maybe a guy here or there.. but not a collection of guys that are all talented and play different roles. Peppers, Phillips and of course Dugger.. I'll take that trio any day.. I'm expecting bug things from Peppers this season as well..

Good, versatile player imo but he doesn't shine on the stat sheet.

A few examples...

Passer rating when targeted = 95.2 (157th among all defenders)
Completion % when targeted = 69.1% (167th among all defenders)
TDs allowed = 5 (tied for most on the Patriots with J. Jones)

Good. Print out that article and post it on the back wall of Dugger’s locker stall……

LFG!!!

Unless he has a monster year making Pro Bowl and All Pro 1st team, it won't be high. He'll probably be retained ala Hightower.
Yeah, I am thinking he sticks and Onwenu departs for big bucks elsewhere. Hopefully the young pups at guard pan out. Parker and Bentley have already been extended so the only other major free agents are Uche, Bourne, Henry, Gesicki and Trent Brown.

I’m fine with it. Good, not special

I dunno, two pick-sixes that he sniffed out (not lucky deflections). And a good tackler. Let's hope he stays under the radar so we can keep him.

I am also curious what will happen with Duggar, Peppers, and Mapu on the field at the same time. Kind of a new look that I do not remember. If they excel, it might be something people start copying which will drive up Duggar's value. My point is people will be watching the triple strong safety approach asking all three SS to tackle, blitz, spy, cover TEs and RBs, and drop deep. BGC might know better, but I think these three "types" playing together is a new twist.

We also have Phillips but he is not an athlete like Duggar, Peppers and Mapu. Going to be fun to see if playing all three increases Duggars perceived individual value.

Last edited:
this is what happens when you don't play on a good team. I can think of many Pats players from the early 80s and the "lean" years that didn't get the recognition they deserved. Stanley Morgan, Don Blackmon, Steve Nelson, Maurice Hurst are just a sampling of guys who at one time or another in their careers were undoubtedly top 10 at their positions but rarely got national recognition.

I am also curious what will happen with Duggar, Flowers, and Mapu on the field at the same time. Kind of a new look that I do not remember. If they excel, it might be something people start copying which will drive up Duggar's value. My point is people will be watching the triple strong safety approach asking all three SS to tackle, blitz, spy, cover TEs and RBs, and drop deep. BGC might know better, but I think these three "types" playing together is a new twist.

We also have Phillips but he is not an athlete like Duggar, Flowers and Mapu. Going to be fun to see if playing all three increases Duggars perceived individual value.
Flowers?

Peppers, Flowers, tomato, potato. Don't pepper plants flower? Haha. I was not drunk either so I can't use that excuse.
I had a feeling that's who you meant.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back