PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booing a 12-3 home team for going 3 and out: No Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off. There probably aren't many well documented homers on this site as me. I have a 5 years of pretty much parroting "in BB we trust", even when in my mind I was like "WTF is Bill thinking". The Patriots are an extraordinarily important part of my life (just ask my wife :D). I've been a fan for 35 years. Through the highest of high and the lowest of lows.

All that said....... When I make my annual or semi-annual trek eastward to the Razor for a game with my kids, it's over $1000 bucks. I'm not a rich man, and that represents a decent chunk of money to me. I wasn't there on Sunday, but had I been............ after witnessing the first half of what we put out...... I might have booed too. It was crap effort, in a game that represented TOO MUCH with it's possible implications (HFA through the playoffs).

You may call it a spoiled fanbase, but I actually call it high expectations. It one of the things that separates our team from everyone else. High expectations, from players, to coaches, and yes..... even us fans. When you have a chance to close the door on a team, or a season, or a division championship, or home field advantage........ I EXPECT my Patriots to do everything that they can stand up an play...... not lay down like a bunch of dogs.

In the first half....... they laid down like dogs, and they heard about it from us fans (and more from the coaches at halftime). We've have come to expect much more from a group of players who play for this team. In the second half, they stood up like men, and got the job done, and were ROUNDLY applauded by their very appreciative fans for it.

I'd suggest you take a lesson from BB's playbook. 12-3 means d!ck when the Bills come in here to play this week, and if we manage to win on Sunday, our 13-3 regular season total will mean d!ck to the 1st playoff opponent that comes in. If we come out and lay down, we'll get steamrolled. You either bring it 100% all the time, or don't bother. Thats the Patriots way.

If you wanna just shrug your shoulders when they have an off day and say "it's okay guys, at least you tried"...... then you are probably cheering for the wrong team. I suggest the Bills, or even the Browns....... Their fanbases have low expectations that are probably closer to yours then the Patriots.

I don't understand why people who support booing imply that not booing implies low expectations.
It's silly, IMO, to say essentially, I boo because I care, and if you don't boo it means you don't care.

One thing is clear. Booing has a different connotation to different people.
Some feel it is their right, some feel it is disrespectful, some feel it is insignificant, and some feel you should only boo if the big picture is bad.
Some knuckleheads actually think that players decide to start trying once they hear boos, and I would assume they are the same ones who take credit for the team winning because they wore their lucky socks. We even have a delusional poster who goes so far as to invent meetings in players homes to argue his opinion must be right.

fine...why don't YOU thrill me with more "the first half was terrible LAST week and I will never get over it...until something else rears it's ugly little head and I can go beserk for another week crying and gnashing my teeth over how horrible it is to be 12-3 going on 13-3"

torch this stupid over the top chicken little thread

You do realize the people who did the booing did not start this thread right? It wouldn't even be here if someone didn't get so offended by it. Not sure why you are lashing out at the responders instead of the OP for even bring this nonsense up.

Not sure why you must be aggressive. I think we can all agree that the first half was terrible, whether it's injuries, lack of effort, and bad execution, the first half WAS terrible. The second half certainly made up for it and put a lot of fans at ease, but would it be entirely wrong to say that the first half was still 'concerning'?

As far as 'crying and going beserk', I merely was just responding to this thread.

not being aggressive...I was being acutely sarcastic...for that I apologize.

Familiar with the psychological phenomenon, transference? I have a very close relative who is getting increasingly senile that I am responsible for and this morning was a real sh!tstorm,figuratively and literally. Reading this thread precipitated my venting.

I held season tickets for just over twenty years, and sat through some real stretches of bad football...and by that I mean sat there EVERY game except maybe a handful, in Sec. 206.Openly booing the team is not something I remember with any clarity...in fact, during a particularly brutal 2-14 season, I remember sitting there with all the other die hard 206'ers, screaming like it was Custer's Last Stand as we got overrun game after game.Still smile about it after all this time. Anyway, if YOU enjoy the Patriots by buying season tickets these days, you have the right to act however you wish toward the team.Knock yourself out making catcalls,if that relieves your frustrations.Personally, I won't do that at an event unless the ref makes a brutal call. The team gets my cheering support and if they fall flat,I don't cheer, I just sit there and wait for a reason to get excited again. There's an old saying..."some times you get bull...some times you get the horns"...everybody reacts differently.

With that, enough of last week's first half woes....it's time to ramp up for the Jills...
1224.gif

not being aggressive...I was being acutely sarcastic...for that I apologize.

Familiar with the psychological phenomenon, transference? I have a very close relative who is getting increasingly senile that I am responsible for and this morning was a real sh!tstorm,figuratively and literally. Reading this thread precipitated my venting.

I held season tickets for just over twenty years, and sat through some real stretches of bad football...and by that I mean sat there EVERY game except maybe a handful, in Sec. 206.Openly booing the team is not something I remember with any clarity...in fact, during a particularly brutal 2-14 season, I remember sitting there with all the other die hard 206'ers, screaming like it was Custer's Last Stand as we got overrun game after game.Still smile about it after all this time. Anyway, if YOU enjoy the Patriots by buying season tickets these days, you have the right to act however you wish toward the team.Knock yourself out making catcalls,if that relieves your frustrations.Personally, I won't do that at an event unless the ref makes a brutal call. The team gets my cheering support and if they fall flat,I don't cheer, I just sit there and wait for a reason to get excited again. There's an old saying..."some times you get bull...some times you get the horns"...everybody reacts differently.

With that, enough of last week's first half woes....it's time to ramp up for the Jills...
1224.gif

No worries. While I was not familiar with 'transference', I did look it up after your post. Sorry to hear about your current troubles. Although we think differently about this topic, I have certainly enjoyed the debate. This thread has taken on a life of it's own. But yes, time for the Jills.

I don't understand why people who support booing imply that not booing implies low expectations.
It's silly, IMO, to say essentially, I boo because I care, and if you don't boo it means you don't care.

One thing is clear. Booing has a different connotation to different people.
Some feel it is their right, some feel it is disrespectful, some feel it is insignificant, and some feel you should only boo if the big picture is bad.
Some knuckleheads actually think that players decide to start trying once they hear boos, and I would assume they are the same ones who take credit for the team winning because they wore their lucky socks. We even have a delusional poster who goes so far as to invent meetings in players homes to argue his opinion must be right.

Since your post quoted me, I want to clarify that the above thought's don't represent my thoughts, or at least the ones I tried t express.

My main point the other day was, and is..... I didn't understand what the hubub was about. We played like dog meat the first half, and I can understand why people booed. Fans, called us spoiled or not, expect great play and don't necessarily react the same when they see less then that.

I consider myself an overwhelmingly positive fan. Almost ALWAYS agree with (or at least recognize they know more them me) when personnel decisions are made. Try to look on the bright side of things... etc... etc... My posting history bares that out.

With that said....... I sometimes scream at the TV. Sometimes get frustrated at playcalling, kick the dog after we allow another 3rd and long to get converted. That doesn't make be a "bad" fan, or a terrible father (as was implied :rolleyes: ). It means I get irrational and overly passionate when watching MY TEAM play football.

Would I have booed the other day? Probably not.... I get to so few games in Foxboro that I just have to much fun with the experience to really care that much about the game so much (I know I Tivo'ed the game and will watch it closely the net day anyway). Last game I went to (Giants) this year, we lost, but I had a ball there. We played like crap in that game and I never considered booing. Heard a few in the crowd, but it never phased me because I hear boo's at every sporting event I ever go to. I was just having a ball at the game with my kids.

All that said. I can understand why some fans did. For some it's natural..... Go back and read the fist 50 pages of the gameday thread and try not to giggle to hard. It's the nature of the beast and it doesn't make people terrible because they get overly emotional (either positive or negative) while watching something that means so much to them.

It's really hard for me to imagine that this thread got to 20+ pages, or that I even got wrapped up in it. It all seems rather silly now doesn't it.

Last edited:
Yup. Which just goes to show how ignorantly stupid booing your own team is in general.

All indications up until and including last week's game were that the Dolphins definitely were not a "vastly inferior opponent" on either side of the ball. Far from it. They had won five of seven coming in and were playing very well. The fact the Pats struggled against a suddenly strong division foe should not have surprised anyone, especially with sudden injury problems on the offensive line and continued juggling of the defensive backfield. Lots of bad matchups for the Pats in that game, scheme-wise as well as personnel-wise. So your presumptions are incorrect.

I'm sorry, but the Patriots didn't 'struggle'. They were completely outclassed and dominated for 30 minutes on both sides of the ball. If the first half of the Dolphins game came as no surprise to you, than you must surely have a much, much lower opinion of this team than I do.

The Dolphins aren't a bad team, but the Patrios should have handled them at home. That's the bottomline. The way they played in the first half was atrocious, and I can't condemn any fan who booed, even if I myself am not really a fan of booing, as I don't see how it can benefit the team. But it's also a natural reaction, and I don't really see how you can have a problem with those who choose to demonstrate their indignation.

Please. Enough with the soccer mom, everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality. Wasn't exactly a first half performance deserving of a roaring ovation. I think most Pats fans, particularly the people in attendance, are smart enough to acknowledge that the team is out there trying to win, they're just not executing. The boos are out of frustration, a combination of disapproval for the officiating and the poor play. Nobody was booing this team's legacy, or this team's season, they were booing for this game and this game only. That should be obvious. Besides, if you can't express anger for that performance, then you're left with either delight or indifference, and neither of which would be appropriate responses in that situation in my opinion.

Please. Enough with the soccer mom, everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality. Wasn't exactly a first half performance deserving of a roaring ovation. I think most Pats fans, particularly the people in attendance, are smart enough to acknowledge that the team is out there trying to win, they're just not executing. The boos are out of frustration, a combination of disapproval for the officiating and the poor play. Nobody was booing this team's legacy, or this team's season, they were booing for this game and this game only. That should be obvious. Besides, if you can't express anger for that performance, then you're left with either delight or indifference, and neither of which would be appropriate responses in that situation in my opinion.

You ought to change your screen name to BooTown.

This thread is still going?

How about this, if you get upset at someone booing at a sporting event, you might be wound up just a tad too tight.

Get a life.

This thread is still going?

How about this, if you get upset at someone booing at a sporting event, you might be wound up just a tad too tight.

Get a life.

How about this, if you boo at a sporting event, you might be wound up just a tad too tight.

Get a life.

Take my life...PLEASE....

topics_youngman_190.jpg

Last edited:
He's just saying that statement goes both ways, how is that ******ed?

lame

No, I think he pretty much just admitted to being one of the Pink Hats at Gillette every week.

Since your post quoted me, I want to clarify that the above thought's don't represent my thoughts, or at least the ones I tried t express.

My main point the other day was, and is..... I didn't understand what the hubub was about. We played like dog meat the first half, and I can understand why people booed. Fans, called us spoiled or not, expect great play and don't necessarily react the same when they see less then that.

I consider myself an overwhelmingly positive fan. Almost ALWAYS agree with (or at least recognize they know more them me) when personnel decisions are made. Try to look on the bright side of things... etc... etc... My posting history bares that out.

With that said....... I sometimes scream at the TV. Sometimes get frustrated at playcalling, kick the dog after we allow another 3rd and long to get converted. That doesn't make be a "bad" fan, or a terrible father (as was implied :rolleyes: ). It means I get irrational and overly passionate when watching MY TEAM play football.

Would I have booed the other day? Probably not.... I get to so few games in Foxboro that I just have to much fun with the experience to really care that much about the game so much (I know I Tivo'ed the game and will watch it closely the net day anyway). Last game I went to (Giants) this year, we lost, but I had a ball there. We played like crap in that game and I never considered booing. Heard a few in the crowd, but it never phased me because I hear boo's at every sporting event I ever go to. I was just having a ball at the game with my kids.

All that said. I can understand why some fans did. For some it's natural..... Go back and read the fist 50 pages of the gameday thread and try not to giggle to hard. It's the nature of the beast and it doesn't make people terrible because they get overly emotional (either positive or negative) while watching something that means so much to them.

It's really hard for me to imagine that this thread got to 20+ pages, or that I even got wrapped up in it. It all seems rather silly now doesn't it.

The part of your post I was referring to was the implication that someone saying booing is wrong is saying "Its OK, at least you tried". I think it is totally incorrect to imply that someone choosing not to voice an opinion by means that they consider disrespectful and offensive should now be categorized as satisfied with poor results.
As I pointed out there are many different opinions on and perceptions of what is meant by a boo. Its disingenuous to assume the booer is saying if you don't win all 19 games FU, and its equally disingenuous to say that someone who refrains from booing is some sort of weak minded fan who doesn't care about winning. That happens to be a tactic the negative crowd embraces. If you are less negative than them, then you must have a lower expectation. Its silly , and that is what I was referring to.

One thing has me pretty pissed, the fact that the Foxboro fan base is way too ready to boo their home team. I hear boos for going 3 and out against Miami (in a win), or for giving up a TD drive to the Colts in garbage time (also a win). It's embarrassing. Fans should not be booing a 12-3 team, a team that has dominated the AFC for a decade. All it does is prove that New England fans are ungrateful, selfish, spoiled and ignorant. No class.

When the camera rolls over to Peyton on the sidelines in the 4th quarter, a guy who is trying to keep the broken pieces of his team and his career together, watching the Colts get dismantled, I could almost hear him thinking "they're booing? 31-10 in the 4th. We could only be so lucky".

The Pat's decade-plus of success has turned Patriots Nation into a bunch of entitled assho!es, who think they know how to run a football team. They don't deserve a franchise stacked with hard working, professional players who have their heads screwed on right and kill themselves to win each week. I blame the damn Boston media, who are a bunch of mutton heads, know almost nothing about the game, but love to hear themselves criticize almost everything Belichick does.

If you think this team deserves to hear it from the crowd, what you really need is an 0-16 season to remind you what bad football looks like. Granted, this is not the 2007 team, or the 2003 team in terms of completeness. But the 2011 team is competitive, clinched the playoffs (again!), scrappy and committed.

And that with devastating injuries...Koppen, Light, Mankins, Vollmer all out against Miami, 4 of 5 starters on the line!!!... and you're booing the rookies and practice squad guys drafted into service, playing out of position? Fans should have some PERSPECTIVE. Any other franchise would have folded long ago.

I've got buddies who are die hard Seahawks fans, some Browns fans, too. My brother married into the Bills fan base. They watch their teams screw up and lose almost every other week. They are committed to their teams for better or worse. They are thrilled just to get into the playoffs. A win is a big deal, not a foregone conclusion. They've got more cause to boo.

Fans are supposed to be supporters, not self-righteous bastards. Stop booing. You're a humiliation to the rest of us.

Eh. The fans pay for the tickets so they are allowed to boo a bad performance. Expectations are sky high with the Patriots. Anything short of a SB title is a failed season. The spoiled fans are on the site as well. The Patriots get down 10-0 in the first quarter and some fans act like the season is over. All I ask is that they cheer as loud or louder than they boo when the team does well. To me what is classless is cheering a player getting hurt or booing when a hurt player appears to be OK.

Everyone has the right to Boo. You're still an idiot for booing a 12-3 team. But you have the right to be an idiot.

No, I think he pretty much just admitted to being one of the Pink Hats at Gillette every week.

No, I'm a red-hat enforcer. I'm going to beat the living hell out of anyone booing at Gillette today. That'll REALLY give those spoiled "consumer complainants" something to b!tch about. :singing::singing::singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes