PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bolts/Bronco Divisional Round Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Denver will take that one..i actually think it won't even be close in the 4th

I agree with you, as much as I'm trying not to even think about that game yet.

I'd find it hard to imagine DEN blowing another opportunity at home again, and I think it could even be a blowout in the sense of a 13, 14, 17 point victory by the end. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't fully get rolling until the 3rd/4th quarter though, and the game was somewhat close in the first half.

I think Denver will take that one..i actually think it won't even be close in the 4th

I agree with you, as much as I'm trying not to even think about that game yet.

I'd find it hard to imagine DEN blowing another opportunity at home again, and I think it could even be a blowout in the sense of a 13, 14, 17 point victory by the end. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't fully get rolling until the 3rd/4th quarter though, and the game was somewhat close in the first half.

I see a San Diego team that matches up well with the Broncos on defense and can go man to man with their WR's and TE and slow them down (and has, for the better part, both times they played). I see a San Diego team that has answers for the Broncos on offense and an Antonio Gates that is going into the playoffs somewhat healthy for a change. I see a San Diego team that has been in playoff mode for the better part of a month while the Broncos went through a relatively soft part of their schedule and rested starters in the second half of their last game. I also see a San Diego team that, in interviews, looks very relaxed and confident which is a good sign. I would be surprised if the Chargers lost this game, actually. That said, I've been wrong before. But I was one of the few people here that called Baltimore going into Denver and taking out the Broncos last year as well.

I think Denver wins easily. Manning is on a mission this year and will not be denied. He has been termed a choke artist and being the great competitor he is, he will do everything he can to overcome it. Just like when everybody said he doesn't do well in cold conditions, he did and gave the finger to all his critics.
Actually, I think Denver will also win against the winner of NE/Indy game too. NE just doesn't have the horses to win again, while Indy's win against Denver was a fluke.
SB against SEA/SF will be a tough call, but should be a win against Carolina or NO.
That's my call.

Denver game forecast: 20 mph winds, upper 30s

Interesting. That's pretty doggone windy!

Not sure if this deserves its own thread.

Re: Denver game forecast: 20 mph winds, upper 30s

It doesn't. It should go in the Bolts/Donks discussion thread. If I were a mod, I would move it. I would also ban you for a month for starting such a thread. :D

Doh! didn't see this thread. (How is that possible)?

I started another one specifically on the weather for this game. 20 mph winds! mid 30s or so!

Interesting.

It probably hould have been put in here.

Manning has had a problem with ducks, so I would think that would negate their passing attack somewhat.

Interesting!

Not sure if this has been discussed in here. Have to look for it.

Oh, and just to contribute something worthwhile whilst adding a +1 to the ol' post count, that's bad news for the noodle arm.

Doh! didn't see this thread. (How is that possible)?

I started another one specifically on the weather for this game. 20 mph winds! mid 30s or so!

Interesting.

It probably hould have been put in here.

No prob, buddy. Just merged it in. It's all good.

(BTW, post #77 says hi! ;) )

It doesn't. It should go in the Bolts/Donks discussion thread. If I were a mod, I would move it. I would also ban you for a month for starting such a thread. :D

Easy, big guy! :D

I'm pretty confident we pull this one out, and maybe even cover the spread while we're at it, too. San Diego does match up well with us, and they did beat us at home a few weeks ago...but it was the short week (Thursday game) after we clinched the playoffs, and something just seemed off all game. I'm not saying they weren't trying, because I don't think anyone goes into a game and "doesn't try," but mentally, I don't think the Broncos were 100% into it. On the other side, the Chargers season would only go on if they got that win, and they were absolutely giving it everything they had.

I think Denver's been holding back a lot of things during the regular season since they kind of knew they'd be in this position. I think, with the two weeks they've had to prepare, the fairly mild temperatures (mid 40s, Peyton is pleased), and the awakening they got after losing to the Chargers at home...they come out real strong and win. Denver is clearly the better football team, and I don't think the better team will lose two straight at home to the opponent, no matter if it's the playoffs.

I know better than to expect a win though, so for now I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel really good about this team's chances though this year.

I think Denver wins easily. Manning is on a mission this year and will not be denied. He has been termed a choke artist and being the great competitor he is, he will do everything he can to overcome it. Just like when everybody said he doesn't do well in cold conditions, he did and gave the finger to all his critics.
Actually, I think Denver will also win against the winner of NE/Indy game too. NE just doesn't have the horses to win again, while Indy's win against Denver was a fluke.
SB against SEA/SF will be a tough call, but should be a win against Carolina or NO.
That's my call.
Manning's had that cloud of playoff choker over his head for a while. They were the #1 seed last year, too, and choked their way out of the playoffs. I'm sure he was "on a mission" then, too. All teams are "on a mission" right now and it's end game is the Super Bowl. It's a matter of who plays better when the chips are down.

I wonder what the wind will do to each team's passing game. Manning has thrown ducks, not all the time, I don't think. But he's thrown many wobblers. How about Rivers? He has that weird delivery but I thought he threw a good spiral. Maybe not.

I think San Diego has a better rushing attack / run defense. So I'd think they'd get the edge.

However, I may be totally, utterly wrong.

Watching the two games, the chargers seemed to figure something out in the second half of the first game. If you look at just the last 6 quarters, the Chargers outscored the Broncos 41-27 - and most of Denvers points came in desperation time.

With that said, I would not be surprised if Denver blows out the Chargers but I hope otherwise...

It will be interesting to see what McCoy's game plan will be this time around. Last week, Rivers only attempted 16 passes, relying on the running game and Dalton's implosion to win the game comfortably. In the last game @ Denver, Rivers only had 20 attempts while Mathews had 29 carries, controlling the clock and winning the game.

I can't see them winning with that style this Sunday. IMO, they need to roll with Rivers vs. a team with a weak pass rush without Miller.

I think that anytime there's a close enough competition to where the younger, cheaper, up and comer can take over the role and save precious cap space in the process, it's going to be seriously considered.

Vereen 2013---47 catches for 3 TD's (missed 8 games) 4.7 yds per carry

Woodhead 2012--40 catches for 3 TD's (missed 0 games) 4.0 yds per carry

At this pace, (and I hate to project) it would be quite reasonable to consider Vereen to have completely blown away Woodhead's 2012 totals. After all, he already caught 7 more balls than 2012 Woodhead in only 1/2 the games played. On top of that, the running production didn't suffer one bit, aside from the fact that it was unfortunate that Vereen broke his wrist.

As much as people tend to complain about these moves, the ones they tend to complain about didn't really seem to hurt us nearly as badly as what is normally insinuated on a daily level. Our problems weren't with losing Woodhead, Mesko, or Welker. None of them... Our problems were in having a murdering star TE, another star TE who is useless in our 3rd consecutive postseason in a row, severe injury situations up and down the board, and the fact that we were forced into using 3 rookies at the position of WR. Most of all, it was likely with our defensive losses to the heart of the other side of the ball with Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, and Spikes.

Losing Welker was a needless problem, and a big one. Losing Woodhead was an understandable problem. Losing Mesko was an upgrade.

More importantly, now that the playoffs are here, Manning is apparently going to be facing a pretty stiff breeze, which means the Chargers have an edge. If they can double Welker, who became Manning's safety valve in a hurry, they can force Manning to hesitate, and Manning + hesitation = wounded ducks ripe for the picking.

If Ryan Mathews is as injured as it appears (he didn't practice again today) then SD's chances dwindle by a lot.

Losing Welker was a needless problem, and a big one.....

Nope.

Julian Edelman?s Impressive 2013 Season for Patriots Outshines Wes Welker, Danny Amendola | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Edelman is 27 and had the better year.

And he will have the better next 5 years.

Hopefully, the Patriots can keep him......or they can simply resign Welker at a discount either this offseason (33 years old) or the next (34 years old). But even Amendola (just turned 28) who was hurt much of the year, put up numbers not that far behind Welker's.

That is reality.

You can keep repeating your mantra.

Last edited:
If Ryan Mathews is as injured as it appears (he didn't practice again today) then SD's chances dwindle by a lot.

The immortal Ronnie Brown will step up!

Nope.

Julian Edelman?s Impressive 2013 Season for Patriots Outshines Wes Welker, Danny Amendola | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Edelman is 27 and had the better year.

And he will have the better next 5 years.

Hopefully, the Patriots can keep him......or they can simply resign Welker at a discount either this offseason (33 years old) or the next (34 years old). But even Amendola (just turned 28) who was hurt much of the year, put up numbers not that far behind Welker's.

That is reality.

You can keep repeating your mantra.

And you can keep repeating yours. The difference, as we both know, is that mine is correct and yours is nonsense, and the beginning of the season demonstrated that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Cool of you to ignore the "more importantly" part of my post though, particularly given the impact that wind has had on Manning's passing. I'm sure it was just an oversight, because you, as a mod, would never look to troll average posters.

Have a nice day. :)

I wonder what the wind will do to each team's passing game. Manning has thrown ducks, not all the time, I don't think. But he's thrown many wobblers. How about Rivers? He has that weird delivery but I thought he threw a good spiral. Maybe not.

I think San Diego has a better rushing attack / run defense. So I'd think they'd get the edge.

However, I may be totally, utterly wrong.

Manning's ducks are meaningless. He only throws 5 yards down the field and watches his receivers run the last 60 for TD's anyway. Credit where it's due, the Broncs run the pick and roll fantastically. They are the football equivalent of Stockton and Karl Malone.

I don't understand why this is so hard to defend though as in football the defenders have an advantage you don't have in basketball. You can simply drill all of the wide-outs. Instead of getting confused about who will cover which receiver, who switches, etc just drill everyone setting a pick before they even get a chance to start setting up blocks.

Manning never gets sacked because Moreno comes out of the backfield untouched on every pass play and he dumps it off if there isn't anything else. You aren't going to get to Manning anyway, so take a few extra moments to blow Moreno up and maybe give your other guys a chance to hit Peyton by taking away his drop off.

I think blowing guys up is completely under-utilized. The Pats won a SB by hitting Faulk every chance they had. They won against Atlanta by putting 2 LB's on Gonzalez and not even allowing him to leave the line of scrimmage at the end of the game. Graham didn't get a single free release when they played NO.

The same goes for the flavor of the day 'read option'. The read should be the same every time. Drill the QB. He is basically a RB until he pitches it. Nobody reads it correctly anyway. They just get caught up in between looking stupid. Take the guesswork out of it. Drill the QB and after the first 2-3 times they'll stop running it.

The Scrizz as DC: hit everything possible within the first 5 yards. Hit the RB in the backfield every time regardless of who it is. Hit every TE who stays in to block so they don't get that delayed free release. Don't make an option out of the read option. Option 1. Hit the QB. Option 2 hit the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes