PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien - Welker play wasn't a drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Brady's a lousy teammate, isn't he?

Aren't you the same guy that started like 30 Tebow threads this year?

And bash Brady every chance you get?

Remember what your QB did in the playoffs against the Pats?

Don't remember you commenting on that.

Didn't start any threads on that subject, did you?

Thankfully what you want to happen never will.

Tebow sucks.

No, I never started a single Tebow thread. Try to gather yourself. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pass was fine
WR had ball hit him in the hands
Pass should have been caught
WR didn't catch pass
WR wasn't hit by opponent, or anything else but the ground
WR, therefore, dropped ball

Time to move forward

:rofl: Whatever you say.....

The ball was in his hands and nobody hit him. It's pretty much the definition of a drop. It was a month ago, though, time to move on already.

Brady had zero pressure and a wide open receiver cutting to his right so naturally Tom threw it high and over his receivers left shoulder. :rolleyes:

I love Welker.. he is a GREAT receiver. It wasn't a great pass but it hit him in the hands.. and he dropped it.

Brady had zero pressure and a wide open receiver cutting to his right so naturally Tom threw it high and over his receivers left shoulder. :rolleyes:

And it still hit him in the hands and he dropped it. Not Tom's best throw ever but bottom line is it should have been caught. Collinsworth said he catches that 100/100 times. Welker said the same thing.

It's done, move one. I don't hold it against Welker at all. He's been a great player in his time in New England. Hopefully he signs and gets another shot at a Super Bowl.

The picture above pretty much clowns your argument.

Yea that one picture really seals it Deus :rolleyes: . You might have heard of the little saying that Pop Warner and even some high school coaches used to use on us: "If you can touch it you can catch it." It's fair enough as a motivational tool, but has absolutely no basis in reality.

Never being able to admit you're wrong is starting to mess with your mind. Might want to re-asses your world view as you've turned into one of the more unobjective posters on this site.

Yea that one picture really seals it Deus :rolleyes: . You might have heard of the little saying that Pop Warner and even some high school coaches used to use on us: "If you can touch it you can catch it." It's fair enough as a motivational tool, but has absolutely no basis in reality.

Never being able to admit you're wrong is starting to mess with your mind. Might want to re-asses your world view as you've turned into one of the more unobjective posters on this site.

:rofl:

Irony, writ large

There are times in life where there is no chance to do "neutrally" -- you either do notably badly or notably well.

This was one of them. A non-catch by Welker was a bad play (not neutral). A catch would have been an outstanding play. No third possibility (pass interference?) was at all likely.

By the way, the principle applies to morality, ethics, and generosity more often than it does to skill. But in this case, it applied to athletic skill.

Also by the way, I bet Welker agrees on this one. He's sincere in thinking he effed up. But he would (rightly) have been proud of the great catch if he'd made it.

Last edited:
Tough catch, but as a wr, it hits your hands, you catch it.

Still love Wes though.

Give me a freaking break with the "blame Brady" crap.

Go back and watch the replay, again and again and again.

The simple fact is that TB threw a very catchable ball to WW.

He should have made the catch.

Last edited:
No, nobody has to talk about this again.
Just wanted to pass the article along to Pats fans for their viewing pleasure.
When the former OC puts that play on the QB but won't come right out and say so I think folks should read it.

He didn't put it on the QB, Rhody. The reason being there is a distinction between a drop and a tough catch you still should have made because the ball hit you in the hands just as there is a distinction between a perfect throw and an imperfect but catchable one and a bad one. He also said the play didn't cost them the game, which is debatable but you certainly cannot say for a fact it did because they still might have made a mistake thereafter. He simply doesn't appreciate seeing Welker being scapegoated for a game in which they all made any number of mistakes that cost them a ring. Unfortunately that rationale never resonates with the likes of you... You have to have a scapegoat and your personal preference is the QB. You want the rest of us to read something because you choose to believe it infers something that it does not state...

Anyone else here think there might've been some ongoing "friction" between O'Brien and Brady? ;)

That's why I can't take his opinion seriously even if I didn't have DVR footage or photos and the WR's opinion on that play to dispute his claims.

People think they can throw some backhanded compliment or subtle dig at people they have issues with, and think others won't see their true agenda.

It would be like me finding merit in anything the Marshall Faulks, Kurt Warners, etc. said about Brady and the Patriots when you know they have bitterness, hatred, and jealousy whenever they open their mouths to speak about them.

That's why I can't stand Marshall Faulk on NFL Network. He can't be objective at all when he talks about Brady and the Patriots.

Then, I notice that Warner isn't giving the Saints the same bitterness and vitriol he's given the Patriots about his career never being the same after that Super Bowl which is shocking considering he did go back to the Super Bowl, and had the ability to win another ring. He had to retire after that playoff game against the Saints. Yet he's not throwing them under the same bus he threw the Patriots under.

Well, I promised myself I wasn't coming back here until at least the draft...so I failed again at staying away from here. What can I say, I'm clearly a pats addict.

But I had to come back, mainly b/c being away from here for a month hasn't stopped me from obsessing over all the plays that went wrong.

I have several thoughts on this play, and then hopefully I'll never mention the GD play again:

1 - The only reason we're talking about this play a month later is Greg Bedard's ego. Everyone else had let it go (or at the very least, repressed it...). The guy is the most talented analyst we have, without a doubt, but he starting late in the season, he started "Breer-ing", as I like to call it - which is to tweet, write or speak with the intent of pumping one's ego with disregard to content.

2 - The end result of O'Brien's answer to Bedard's question is a good one - taking blame off Welker. He doesn't deserve it.

3 - Why would anyone expect O'Brien to call that a drop? Since when do Patriot coaches throw guys under the bus.

4 - Bedard didn't ask O'Brien about Brady's throw b/c he was afraid the answer would be very similar to what he said about Welker on the play, and that would undermine Bedard's "I told you so" desires.

5 - This play is so painful to watch. And I have watched it since b/c I have absolutely zero self control. It's a fascinating play. Brady & Welker had several decisions and actions to make on that play - and most combinations lead to a completion. Somehow, they both landed on the ones that led to an incomplete pass:

- Brady could've rifled it in there
- Brady could've lofted it as he did, but pulled back on it so Wes could sit down and make a more comfortable catch
- Welker had ample time to run to the spot where that ball was going. The ball was released when he was on the 30, it was in the air about 2 seconds, he slowed down, almost to a stop, turned around and dropped it at the 23.
- If Welker and Brady were on the same page, he could've caught it in stride and probably made it to the 10 yard line, easily.
- The thing is, Welker isn't used to running that kind of route, and making that kind of catch. And Brady's throw opened the possibility for it happening.

The bottom line is - Brady could've made a better pass, and Welker could've made a much better play on the ball. The play had already been botched by the time it hit Welker's hands, so I don't even worry about that part of it, and yes, I still think he should have caught it at that point.

Either way, it's brutally painful to talk about. Given what the Giants defense did on that play, the end result should have been a completion that put us somewhere between the 20 yard line and the end zone. And both Brady and Welker should take blame for it - but like O'Brien said, neither should feel responsible for losing the game. It was one of a dozen or so of poorly executed plays in the game.

The irony is, if the Giants DBs don't blow that play so bad, Welker probably just sits down in that zone for an easy catch within field goal range, and the Pats milk out the clock.

Now, for the love of god, can we please stop talking about this play.

Last edited:
Last edited:
And they'll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls

It's Heaven and Hell

Can't let this quote go unnoticed. Carry on.

Good thing he is gone, horrible coordinator. I blame him more than Welker and Brady.

Good thing he is gone, horrible coordinator. I blame him more than Welker and Brady.

So it's O'Brien's fault that Welker dropped the likely game-sealing pass?

So it's O'Brien's fault that Welker dropped the likely game-sealing pass?

Its his fault we have to rely on passing when up 17-9, watching NY chip back with FGs while we pass, pass, pass. He has always done this, so I am not even focused on one game.

Why hate on Welker anyways? We wouldn't have made it to the SB without Welker carrying the rest of the WRs.

Its his fault we have to rely on passing when up 17-9, watching NY chip back with FGs while we pass, pass, pass. He has always done this, so I am not even focused on one game.

Why hate on Welker anyways? We wouldn't have made it to the SB without Welker carrying the rest of the WRs.

1.) I'm not hating on Welker.

2.) O'Brien's "fault" was that he called a game that was good enough to win if his best WR holds on to the football. The fans' fault is that they blame offensive coordinators for the mistakes and failings of players.

And don't kid yourself, because your gripes about O'Brien are wrong whether they are game specific or about the entire season. O'Brien, Brady and Belichick got that team to 13-3 in the regular season, and to within minutes of a Super Bowl victory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back