PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick vs. Bruce Arians - style contrast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Belichick vs. Bruce Arians - style contrast

DEkSrwxUwAAi8oL.jpg:large

vs.

bruce-arians-2013-espy-awards-02.jpg

The rhetoric out of AZ that came after that game was astounding. Ariens threw the kicker and several players under the bus. The GM was throwing players under the bus. Bidwell was throwing players, coaches and the FO under the bus.

In 30 years of really following the NFL I can never recall a team taking a Week One loss the same way as if the lost they Super Bowl.

Even the early 90s Buffalo Bills or the 07 or 2011 Pats didn't whine, ***** and self-destruct publicly after a devastating loss as much as these weak-minded, amateur-hour, clowns.
Seattle seems to whine a lot after they lose but to be fair to Carrol he doesn't seem to be the one doing it.

I heard arians on the radio this morning.
He said when he coached manning he noticed a tell. When manning got tense he would play with his Left knee pad. Arians would notice and bring up something to take his mind off the stress.
They asked him how manning reacted when he told him about it. He said he never told him because he wanted to use it against him if he faced him in the future.

If BB had that issue (and recognized it), he would have organized a team activity where they dug a hole and buried the field goal posts.

I heard arians on the radio this morning.
He said when he coached manning he noticed a tell. When manning got tense he would play with his Left knee pad. Arians would notice and bring up something to take his mind off the stress.
They asked him how manning reacted when he told him about it. He said he never told him because he wanted to use it against him if he faced him in the future.

guess that didn't really work out for him:

www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410050den.htm

36Hs2Lk.png

3tMykb8.png

Some teams get into a close game down the wire and expect they will find a way to win.

Other teams get into a close game down the wire and expect they will find a way to lose.

I cannot overstate how important good coaching is in separating the first group from the second.

Ariens has been a good HC and position coach. The media loves him because he's good for a quote and he's a scally cap kind of guy (like ME). But the gap between he and BB shows so much right there. BB learned the hard way that any interaction with the media is generally not a good idea, and should be limited to only those league mandated times, and when you are forced to be there, say as little as possible.

I heard the interview and it was a 20 second toss away thought in a 20minute interview. And like any mediot momemt, it blew up in his face......big time. BB woukld have never used the fact Brady, Gronk, Solder and others were out. He never would have blamed the kicker. He would have apologized for the bad coaching job he did, and blame himself for not properly preparing the team for the game, and promise to do better the next time.

BB understands that its the mediots job to get him to say something that would give them a "hot take". So he doesn't take it personal. He just never gives them what they want. ;) Let's see if Ariens learns his lesson

Somebody ought to send Arians a coy of "Three Games to Glory" 2003 edition.. You know the season that began with the eventual Super Bowl champs getting shellacked 31-0 by Buffalo..................

Some teams get into a close game down the wire and expect they will find a way to win.

Other teams get into a close game down the wire and expect they will find a way to lose.

I cannot overstate how important good coaching is in separating the first group from the second.

I don't watch a lot a baseball these days. With family over the weekend and the Red Sox / Yankees were in a marathon extra inning game. It it were football it was the type of game you simply EXPECT the Patriots to win. My expectation for the Sox was they'd find a way to lose it. And they came through with flying colors. :cool:

I am not an Arians fans nor do I really know if he is a good coach or not. But, I think it is silly to kill him on the comments above. I mean he is giving an honest answer of when the season went bad. I read it as more of a reflection than an excuse and I imagine he is thinking about what he will do if this happens again (two hard losses to start the season).

BB is obviously the best coach pretty much ever so it isnt fair to compare anyone to him. They all will come up short.

It seems to me that this honesty will make Arians better in the future

Are you ****ng me?

It' s called adversity. If you've watched the Patriots for the past 17 years, you have seen beginning of SUPER BOWL game seasons that were marked by:

-5-6 start and loss of franchise QB in 2nd game
-1-2 start with opening game loss of 31-0 to a team that signed your controversially cut Safety who sacked your QB in said game, prompting an ESPN talking head former player to state on national TV "The Patriots HATE their HC"
- Spygate national scandal
-2-2 start to season with 2nd loss a 41-14 national tv pantsing prompting a national crescendo of "Brady is done"
- 4 game suspension of Brady

.......and this cupcake is claiming HIS team's season was "derailed" by a missed field goal at home in the opening game? :p

I'm sorry, Bruce, you cannot compete with that mindset.

Last edited:
The rhetoric out of AZ that came after that game was astounding. Ariens threw the kicker and several players under the bus. The GM was throwing players under the bus. Bidwell was throwing players, coaches and the FO under the bus.

In 30 years of really following the NFL I can never recall a team taking a Week One loss the same way as if the lost they Super Bowl.

Even the early 90s Buffalo Bills or the 07 or 2011 Pats didn't whine, ***** and self-destruct publicly after a devastating loss as much as these weak-minded, amateur-hour, clowns.

Mental toughness starts at the top.

They should have fired their leadership right there in September 2016. They are doomed like the last years of Jeff Fisher.

Do I really need to pull up the video of BB, in 2009, talking about how he couldn't get the team to play? Are people here really so far gone that they don't get that this **** can happen to any team, and any coach?

Sure! Pull up the video.

1) Did he make that comment
-at a press conference?
-on a radio show?
-to a newspaper?
What was the context? Oh yeah, he was caught mic'd up as an aside to Brady on the sidelines last game of the season.

2) Further, he was not pointing to one particular opening game and saying 'Right there, we lost our #hit and that's the reason why we couldn't get it done the following 15 games'.

3) Pay attention to the pronoun in the quote you and Belichick used. He said HE couldn't get the team to play. He blamed HIMSELF.

His quote at the end of "Do Your Job" says it all about the winning mindset. Players win games and coaches lose them.

Your example is 180 degrees off.

Last edited:
Do I really need to pull up the video of BB, in 2009, talking about how he couldn't get the team to play? Are people here really so far gone that they don't get that this **** can happen to any team, and any coach?

I don't see that as equivalent. I see it as BB saying that BB the GM didn't pick the right 53+ and that BB the coach was unable to motivate his 53. More self-deprecating as he has the full responsibility.

2001 Patriots

0-1 Bengals 23-17
0-2 NYJ 10-3

2003 Patriots

0-1 Bills 31-0
2-2 Redskins 23-20

2014 Patriots

0-1 Miami 33-20
2-2 Chiefs 41-14

3 of the 5 rings they were behind the 8-ball from the start and after the Jets, Bills and Chiefs losses they were universally counted out. But AZ laid down after losing a tough game to a team coming off 5 straight AFFCG appearances and one year removed from a SB win. If they lost to the Jets the opening week they might not have won another game.

"Players win' em and coaches lose' em"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back