PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor has it they asked him his name and he replied:

"Who was supposed to block Bruschi?"

CrazyDave said:
the helmet thing is weird. I lived in CT until 2 years ago, and ther are no helmet laws there. Most don't wear them. Now I'm in Mass, and it took a while to get used to seeing all the helmets. I guess it's like seatbelts. Once you get used to them, you don't even realize it's there. I hope he's o.k.

But what's up with that bike? I thought he had a Harley?
Aparently the new crotch-rocket riceburner was a gift or part of an endorsement deal with a local Suzuki dealer in Pitts.

Last edited by a moderator:
MoLewisrocks said:
Hopefully we will hear all those conflicting reports in one thread. That would be novel.

Indeed it would. Kudos to whoever deleted my thread, as I was going to do the same when I saw the report in this thread.

In the meantime, I don't know if KFFL is referring to what Clayton said or to the Pittsbrugh Tribune report, but...

Steelers | Roethlisberger injury update
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:47:40 -0700

John Clayton, on ESPNews, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) is in surgery to fix a broken jaw. He also suffered a nine-inch laceration on his head, some missing teeth and knee damage. The team is not commenting on his accident yet.

That report is certainly the consensus right now, and Clayton is certainly a reliable source for the info.

Last edited:
shakadave said:
Thanks for the info, Blue. I was just thinking that I personally would have no idea of internal knee damage from looking at a knee. All I could see would be superficial skin damage. It would be especially hard if he was wearing jeans or other long pants. (Today wasn't too warm in Pittsburgh.)

This is a big news story. If there is serious knee injury, it is also a big FOOTBALL story.

Another poster stated that the PD "homicide" Det. were handling the case. That would be a clue that his injuries are serious and he is not "OK". It wouldn't be that he was so messed up that he WAS going to not make it, but that his injuries were serious enough that things could go bad for him and they are preparing to do that type of investigation. You don't do that if he just had minor injuries.

pats-blue said:
Another poster stated that the PD "homicide" Det. were handling the case. That would be a clue that his injuries are serious and he is not "OK". It wouldn't be that he was so messed up that he WAS going to not make it, but that his injuries were serious enough that things could go bad for him and they are preparing to do that type of investigation. You don't do that if he just had minor injuries.

In any case with "serious injuries" it's standard procedure to have the senior inspectors (in most cities, the homicide detectives) handle the case. Further, because this is likely to be THE story in Pittsburgh, having the "best" police officers assigned to the case would be good for the department - ergo, the homicide squad got the call.

He's not dead, he's not gonna die, but procedurally, the police have to conduct an investigation, it makes sense to assign their best to the case, and their best are in homicide. Even if the injuries are "minor", it's in the best interest of the Pittsburgh PD to assign their best. THAT's why they were called.

pats-blue said:

That makes me very nervous. It was a stupid, stupid thing to do, but I would be absolutely sick if something went wrong and he died.

Is there supposed to be some kind of press conference or something?

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
????

I'm not picking on anyone here...so please don't take it this way...

BUT...

This is one of the most stupid comments that I've EVER heard.

Every day that you wake up, you're taking a risk.

When you breathe, you're taking a risk.

When you take a shower, you're taking a risk.

When you go out into traffic (doesn't matter what the vehicle is either), you're taking a risk.

If you don't think so, then, you live in a very sheltered life.

Now, granted, there are various grades of risk...but its still risk.

I don't necessarily condone what "Cheese" burger did, but, its his life. He should have realized the risks known to him. Isn't he an adult by now?

You don't think that playing football is a risk?

Just ask Dennis Byrd that question.

Ummm ... I have the exact opposite reaction.

I felt those were very rational and thoughtful comments by MoLewis.

I'm not sure how you can compare the risk from "breathing" and "taking a shower" with the risk from riding a motorcycle without helmet.

It's all about taking prudent risk.

Last edited:
TatupusTutu said:
In any case with "serious injuries" it's standard procedure to have the senior inspectors (in most cities, the homicide detectives) handle the case. Further, because this is likely to be THE story in Pittsburgh, having the "best" police officers assigned to the case would be good for the department - ergo, the homicide squad got the call.

He's not dead, he's not gonna die, but procedurally, the police have to conduct an investigation, it makes sense to assign their best to the case, and their best are in homicide. Even if the injuries are "minor", it's in the best interest of the Pittsburgh PD to assign their best. THAT's why they were called.

UUHH yeah that's what I was saying.

Except for the "minor" part. They are not going to assign it to homicide Det. for PR. Sorry it doesn't work that way. Also I don't know how Pitt PD is set up but homicide det. are not always your "best" for investigating something like this. Many departments have motor officers that are highly trained reconstructionists and if it went to the point that someone died and you needed an opinion weather manslaughter charges or something were warranted THEN the homicide det look at the infomation the motor officers concluded from THIER investigation and the Homicide Det make thier recommendations.

I KNOW "standard" procedure and part of that procedure IS to have the homicide investigators involved if there is a CHANCE it could go fatal...not because they are the "senior" people or for PR.

I'm not saying or suppossing he is going to die. I have seen people air evaced away from accidents that it didn't look good but they were discharged from the hospital later that night. But those people are not called out for PR purposes "to look good for the department" they are called for something that is very serious. It is apparent that it IS SERIOUS because he is in surgery. I was pointing out that the police KNEW it was serious because of the people who came out to the scene adn it wasn't because Ben was the injured person or for TV cameras.

Last edited:
mikey said:
I'm not sure how you can compare the risk from "breathing" and "taking a shower" with the risk from riding a motorcycle without helmet.

Its all a risk.

I already stated before...there are various stages of risk. No doubt about it.

...my comment WASN'T to talk down to anyone.

But...anything could happen. I mean anything.

I know of a man who died right after running his regular 5k who was in very good health.

I know another man who died in his sleep. He got bit by a spider.

Risk is all around.

You can drive a car, wearing a seatbelt, and get broadsided. That seatbelt is securing your place. Think about what happens next.

Sometimes strange things happen even if you're "safe."

Just deal with the risk.

Now, I would never ride a murdercycle...but that is my opinion.

I think it should be up to the adult to make the choice.

pats-blue said:
UUHH yeah that's what I was saying.

Except for the "minor" part. They are not going to assign it to homicide Det. for PR. Sorry it doesn't work that way. Also I don't know how Pitt PD is set up but homicide det. are not always your "best" for investigating something like this. Many departments have motor officers that are highly trained reconstructionists and if it went to the point that someone died and you needed an opinion weather manslaughter charges or something were warranted THEN the homicide det look at the infomation the motor officers concluded from THIER investigation and the Homicide Det make thier recommendations.

I KNOW "standard" procedure and part of that procedure IS to have the homicide investigators involved if there is a CHANCE it could go fatal...not because they are the "senior" people or for PR.
I agree...I think some Pittss TV people mentioned that homicide detectives are used ONLY when serious injuries are suffered. He is serious...not critical..and that is a real key. He is lucky there were no head injuries..despite the laceration..I wonder if there was a concussion?? Ben will make it...

When you go out into traffic (doesn't matter what the vehicle is either), you're taking a risk.
Yes, but not the same risk. What kind of vehicle certainly does matter. Riding in a motorcycle involves a lot more risk than riding in an SUV, an H2, or a military tank.

Ditto on the earlier comment about breathing is a risk. For one thing, when you ride a motorcycle without a helmet you are also breathing at the same time. See? Proof that riding a motorcycel without a helmet is riskier than breathing.

Last edited:
When you breathe, you're taking a risk.
Not as big a risk as NOT breathing.

spacecrime said:
Yes, but not the same risk. What kind of vehicle certainly does matter. Riding in a motorcycle involves a lot more risk than riding in an SUV, an H2, or a military tank.

Ditto on the earlier comment about breathing is a risk. For one thing, it isn't as risky as NOT breathing. For another thing, when you ride a motorcycle without a helmet you are also breathing at the same time. See? Proof that riding a motorcycel without a helmet is riskier than breathing.

Yes. The only difference between life and death...is one single breath.

But...Ben is an adult, and he should have known this "higher than normal" risk.

Its too bad that it happened...but...it already did happen.

Pats726 said:
I agree...I think some Pittss TV people mentioned that homicide detectives are used ONLY when serious injuries are suffered. He is serious...not critical..and that is a real key. He is lucky there were no head injuries..despite the laceration..I wonder if there was a concussion?? Ben will make it...

Unfortunately he does have head injuries. They however do NOT seem to be concerning the doctors too much at this time by what the media is reporting. A 9" gash in the back of your head is not a good thing and all reports state he has a broken jaw. Neither of these things happening to your melon is good and will be something his doctors will be watching. There is a reason they were pointing out he "knew" where he was and stuff. It let's us layman "know" his head is "alright". IF his knees are as bad as reported why talk about his head if there is absolutley no concern? I'm not being a doomsayer as I think and hope he will be fine, just that he really isn't "lucky" and as others have pointed out he didn't help his "luck" by not wearing a helmet.

Its all a risk.
I think it should be up to the adult to make the choice.

What about the business that paid him millions of dollars of up-front money in the anticipation that he would perform at an elite athletic level for years to come?

Life is full of risks, but it's also full of responsibilities. When you choose to take on those responsibilities, it isn't all up to you any more. You have obligations to others, and you have to balance interests, risks and benefits. To me, that -- not the freedom to take stupid risks -- is what comes with being an "adult."

Now they're saying the driver of the vehicle that hit him ran a red light and had Maine plates. The latter piece was unconfirmed though.

I don't want to sound like I'm piling on, but it comes down to maturity. Most guys in their teens to mid 20's think they are untouchable (somebody said invinceable). I'm sure being a pro athlete feeds into this further. I'm shocked that any of these guys have contracts that allow them to ride bikes w/o helmets, or bikes period. Knowing how detail oriented the Pats are, I'm sure the list of Brady's banned "hobbies" would be a long one (skydiving, skiing, waterskiing, etc.)

Let me tell you how my braindead, PhinsFan, Fiance' reacted to this:

"Damn it! Now when the Phins beat them on opening day, people will say it's because they didn't have Rothesburger!"

ROFLMAO!!! I've never seen him use drugs, but perhaps he's sneaking them! LOL

Damn! What the heck was he thinking? Godspeed Ben, I am praying for your recovery!

I live on the MA/NH border. Here in MA we have a mandatory helmet law, but NH does not have one...You know that whole "live free or die" motto. I just think it is insane to ride without a helmet. My two and half year old niece got her first bike with training wheels and a shiney new Winnie the Pooh helmet, take a lesson from my little peanut Ben.....No helmet, no ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back